New Sonic Figures!

jamaro

I'll buy it knee joints or not. Being able to pose it isn't everything to me, I'm more excited about how accurate it is than disappointed that it lacks knees. Who knows what the final product will be like? Remember the 3 inch prototypes? Only like 5 points of articulation.

Exactly!

Well, Littlecomet2, I think it was already established with the prototype images that he had hip joints.

Also, in my opinion, if you're going to make something articulated, you make it articulated ENOUGH. Either you make it an action figure, or a statue -- not something inbetween.

I respect your opinion, but I'm not gonna let something like lack of articulation keep me from buying toys. Sure, I may be mad when I go to pose them, but I'll find something that looks cool eventually. I'm more for aesthetics with my figures. That's why I love McFarlane's Sports Picks. God-awful articulation but incredible sculpts. Articulation is important to me, don't get me wrong, but it won't stop me from buying something like this: something I've dreamed of having my whole life.

Yeah, I think McFarlane has hit a pretty solid middle ground with their figures. I totally prefer aesthetics to articulation, but at the same time I don't like being stuck with ONE pose that is not of my choosing. Because of that, I prefer articulation, though never at the expense of aesthetic. Personally, I also like the "muscle-y" look of Jazwares' current Sonic figs, but I could understand why they'd want to avoid that with the classic models.

As it stands, I rarely use knee joints on the current figures. I keep them all standing straight up with minor bending to counter balance issues. So no knees on Classic Sonic definitely won't keep me from picking one up (or in fact picking TWO up, so I can get Motobug and Classic Amy o_0)

That's true, I actually have all of McFarlane's LOST figures who have no articulation, and I love those. But I also have a lot of McFarlane's HALO figures, which are articulated without really affecting the look of the figure.

When it comes down to it though, it's always the detail that makes McFarlanes figs and statues so great. Before finding Espio and Vector, I actually made a pact with myself for a few years to only buy figures by McFarlane, as a way to limit my purchases, without ever being disappointed. Now, I've been forced to expand that rule to McFarlane AND Jazwares though :P

Neca > McFarlane

Guys, I am not saying that having little articulation is bad, or having excessive articulation is either... what I said is a large amount of articulation is useless when critical points are left off.

Even if you never pose your Sonic figures, and display them standing straight up.....the articulation is there for you to fiddle with and you can get decent poses out of it, with the upcoming Classic Sonic, his upper body articulation becomes useless without the knee joints, and if you say "well I was gonna display him in a vanilla pose anyways" then you still have to look at his glaringly awful waist joint that provides no use.

I'm not being sympathetic just to "stand up for Jazwares". The lack of knee joints just really doesn't bother me. I honestly probably wouldn't have noticed it at all if it hadn't been brought up by someone else. I'm not saying any of your points aren't valid, because it's simply your opinion. For me personally it's just a non-issue ^_^

Fair enough, I just see adding the knee joint as being more beneficial than it being absent.

The way I see it, it's very difficult to scuplt real Sonic action figures because of their tiny limbs, which work directly against sturdy construction necessary to have articulation. So in order to compensate, they either have to make the figure look muscley, leave off the articulation, or charge a ton of money to make it with the sturdiest plastic available. And seeing as the 3 inch figures are already at $8.99 for the quality changes (I found out because I bought the new version of clear Espio with the better quality and a hole in his foot for the base) I wonder if making the figure with knee joints without the bulkiness would have turned out too expensive. But I do see your argument, LaLaM. I would have loved to see 5 inch classic Sonic with knee joints so I can put him in a running pose. Oh well. Maybe for the 10 inch classic Sonic...

Exactly. If you're not going to articulate it well enough, why articulate it at all? It's a stupid move on their part, and giving them sympathetic feedback won't help.

Unfortunately some people will just gladly accept anything thrown at them.

You know a couple of years ago when Jazwares showed off those crappy unarticulated prototypes of the 3/4th in figures a few of the members here were actually pumped for those. wacko.gif

I think JazheadPingasMaster and I were the only ones not happy with those. I don't remember if you were here at the time.

Of course the knee joints are beneficial. Bit like Mark said, that's not gonna stop me. It's Sonic and I want any Sonic stuff I can get. Anything other than Sonic and sports I'm very particular about articulation usually. Like DBZ figures, if they aren't articulated well, there are a million other companies who will make them articulated, and they'll probably look better, for the same price.

When Neca starts making hockey figures for me, maybe we'll talk then ;D

I was actually upset about the prototypes. I was probably gonna buy them, because like I said, they're Sonic, but 5 points of articulation on a Sonic figure? And he's not even in a running pose? What is that? Lol. Plus I hated the 3 inch scale. Now it's my favorite =P

With things like the Sports Picks, I can understand the limited articulation, they're meant to be action shots, like the figures were pulled from the game. They now have a line of mini figures with many points of articulation, but the 6 inch ones are meant to be still shots. That doesn't work for Sonic unless you have a good pose, and who wants to play with a Sonic who can't move his arms and legs back and forth. It was the same thing as Toy Island's later work. I'm happy they improved. I have to say however that the sculpt for those was incredible if my memory serves me right. They looked like they were taken right out of the Sonic games. I also remember the prototype for 5 inch Sonic having huge terrible looking ball joints.

So, if it isn't Sonic or sports, articulation might play a role in my opinion. But for those two, figures are few and far between for me, so I'll take what I can get.

Exactly. If you're not going to articulate it well enough, why articulate it at all? It's a stupid move on their part, and giving them sympathetic feedback won't help.

Unfortunately some people will just gladly accept anything thrown at them.

While this is true, I also see a reason for people to be this way. Up until around 2010, figures of Espio, Vector, Metal Sonic, Silver, and the Supers (in a special Emerald pack, nonetheless) had been a concept totally unheard of. Same with the classic Sonic figures. Up until this year's Toy Fair, the idea of real, articulated classic Sonic action figures had been only a dream in some fans' minds. If these figures were some crappy TI figures with like 3 points of useful articulation, then I might pass up on them, but they're not. They're good quality, 12 point articulated figures that look just like they do in the games. When they start to get lazy and start doing repaints and repackaging their figures with Wisps or something, then I'll gladly agree with you. I respect your opinion though.

JSh3dg3hog does bring up a good point. Although I'm definitely a sucker for consistency and posability, I would gladly collect accurate 3D representations of Sonic characters who have never before had a figure, articulated or not. Of course, sturdy joints with many points of clean, good-looking articulation would always be a lovely thing to have, though. ^_^

--

Also, a good bit of Sonic game news has just been leaked over at this topic at SSMB by SEGA Mexico. These are the details:

• A third Storybook game is in development, which will make a trilogy along with SatSR and SatBK.
  • A third "SEGA Superstars/All-Stars" game is in development.
  • Some sort of Sonic Adventure for the 3DS is in development. It could be a port of SA, a port of SA2, a new Sonic Adventure 3, or some other game. Not very clear yet.
  • Sonic Generations will have more bonus levels. (DLC, maybe?)

The guy said he would like Sonic Adventure 3DS, not that there would be one. Also, it'd be the fourth All-stars game. There was one for PS2 that used Eye Toy. I think he meant Special Stages instead of bonus ones, but I think both'll be there. Lastly, I was most surprised that they've formed SEGA Mexico XD

JSh3dg3hog does bring up a good point. Although I'm definitely a sucker for consistency and posability, I would gladly collect accurate 3D representations of Sonic characters who have never before had a figure, articulated or not. Of course, sturdy joints with many points of clean, good-looking articulation would always be a lovely thing to have, though. ^_^

--

Also, a good bit of Sonic game news has just been leaked over at this topic at SSMB by SEGA Mexico. These are the details:

• A third Storybook game is in development, which will make a trilogy along with SatSR and SatBK.
  • A third "SEGA Superstars/All-Stars" game is in development.
  • Some sort of Sonic Adventure for the 3DS is in development. It could be a port of SA, a port of SA2, a new Sonic Adventure 3, or some other game. Not very clear yet.
  • Sonic Generations will have more bonus levels. (DLC, maybe?)

Ha that's awesome. And JPM, I didn't even know there was a Sega Mexico. Haha I feel like an idiot.

p.s. You guys can just refer to me as JShedgehog. For some reason my original account wouldn't work.

I hope it's real. I'm always a huge fan of Sonic's Storybook games. I really loved them a lot! (I got SatSR and SatBK on Wii.) Although SatSR is better in my options because of amazing leveling system, along with the fact you could be able to customize your skills and abilities, it blows my mind. XD I hope it returns for next game. =)

As for Sonic Adventure 3DS thing, That name is kind of clever and catchy. :3 But I also hope it's real. If it's a remake of SA2B, I hope they can at least add more characters, levels for everyone, more Chao World features... Whoa. Too good to be true? Possibly the return of Tiny Chao Garden would happen, where you take care of one Chao on your 3DS whatever you go? Or.. something.

EITHER WAY, even if it's a remake of SA2B (hopefully with more playable characters, secrets, emblems, stages), it could make sense, since SA2B was on Gamecube only, and if it is on 3DS... You can basically take your biggest favorite Sonic game wherever you go. Wow! That's too good to be true. All we can do is wait and see what Sega has to offer for us! =]

Or someone's trying to cover their information leak :P

I was thinking same thing, very likely. It's too good to be true, isn't it? XD

Sonic and the Black Knight is a huge, steaming pile of poop.

To be completely honest here, I prefer SONIC THE HEDGEHOG for Xbox 360/PS3. With Black Knight, I couldn't even get passed more than three levels. I hated it that much.

Sonic and the Black Knight is a huge, steaming pile of poop.

To be completely honest here, I prefer SONIC THE HEDGEHOG for Xbox 360/PS3. With Black Knight, I couldn't even get passed more than three levels. I hated it that much.

What was bad about it?

Bad control? Also, you can play as Blaze, Shadow, and Knuckles in some of levels as you get far in the game, which is kind of cool. I don't blame you for hating it so much, it does have bad control, but I learned how to overcome. I wish Sega could work on making controls polished, along with making missions less "impossible". =/ But like I said before, I said SatSR was better than SatBK lol

I know I've been posting nothing but links and news lately, but I think I found something really interesting this time. Remember when people posted a bunch of pictures of the Jazwares (or Zoofy) booth at Toy Fair, and we saw a flocked version of the 10-inch Sonic figure? You were probably wondering, "What was up with that?"

Well according to this page at Toys R Us, it's going to be this year's Sonic exclusive at the 2011 San Diego Comic-Con. Who'da thunk it?

Even if it is just a furry version of 10-inch Sonic, I would still love to have it. That may just be the completionist in me talking, but I've never heard of a flocked Sonic action figure before and this does seem pretty interesting. Shame it couldn't be a new exclusive 3-inch figure, though, like a "golden Sonic" or something. Now THAT would be cool.

I want an N.Y.C.C. exclusive since that's the one I'm going to annually. (Well I went last year, and it looks like I'm going to this year's anyway)

I think my college's nerd club thing (I honestly don't know the name of the club so I just call it that lol) offers discount tickets to NYCC. I really wanna go next year. The flocked Sonic seems pretty cool, but I'm gonna pass sadly cause I just don't have the room for it. Also, I hope I'm not beating a dead horse with this, but the lack of knees on Classic Sonic is kinda disappointing. I'll probably wind up getting it though cause I love the design. Hopefully it's just a prototype and more articulation will be added or something. Anyway, when's SDCC (that's the one coming up right?)?