What ARE those things?!

Tom-1

Hey guys,

For those who have him, or have seen the various photos of the Para-Viper, I have to ask: What the HELL are those rails on his forearms? It seems the Para-Viper is based heavily in reailty (His jump gear, the individual and squad weaponry, the strobe/battery pack in his helmet, ect) but the forearm guards are alien to me.

Tom

They are, in effect, control vanes to stabilize the trooper in freefall........like ailerons or trim tabs on a aircraft wing.

I've actually heard about skydivers experimenting with such things, but have never seen images of the items.

The idea is to provide some small measure of stability control during freefall, especially with a heavy load on. Kind of makes sense for a HALO trooper, who drops a great distance before opening.

Thanks, Arrow! That is very cool to know, and adds that much more to this already awesome figure : )

You guys ever see "Red Dawn"? It's one of my favorite war movies, and the Para-Viper frequently reminds me of the Russian Airborne troopers from the introduction of the film - especially that machine gun they used on the teacher when he came out to reason with them.

In Soviet Russia, problem solves you. XD

Tom

They are, in effect, control vanes to stabilize the trooper in freefall........like ailerons or trim tabs on a aircraft wing.

I've actually heard about skydivers experimenting with such things, but have never seen images of the items.

The idea is to provide some small measure of stability control during freefall, especially with a heavy load on. Kind of makes sense for a HALO trooper, who drops a great distance before opening.

thank god they're for something, i was starting to worry about this kick butt figure.