G.I.Joe Question & Answers With Hasbro Round 5

The Wire

"There is currently no plan for a green Leatherneck."

Well, why the hell not? They go the extra mile on all the other figures to give us updates of the original RAH figures, but give us crappy ass mission brazil Leatherneck. WTF. @grumpy@

I really wish we would be getting more of the '86 lineup as well. Dial-Tone, Lifeline, Low-Light, Monkeywrench, Sci-Fi, Wetsuit, Zandar, Zarana...heck, they gave us '86 Roadblock...why not give us some characters that haven't been made yet?

Joe, look at it like this: we collectors are the same as drug addicts, and any decent dealer knows you don't give your client enough to overdose. You string 'em along, a little bit at a time... you want that repeat business.

Believe me, the 85-87 years are THE most recognized in the entire toyline, since the cartoon featured those years most prominently. We WILL get figures from that mini-era (See Blowtorch) but Hasbro isn't going to blow their load and never hear from us again. They want to see us again and again, because we make them feel good (WITH MONEY)

Tom

So... Hasbro = Dr. Feelgood?

Is there a methadone clinic for little plastic men?

Seriously, Tom has a good point. We'll see them eventually. Can't do 'em all at once.

I like this one:

TNI: Why wasn't the Quick Kick figure in the DVD pack given ankle articulation; it seems like a chacacter that specializes in karate would be the perfect pick for this?

Hasbro: The ankle articulation would have given the foot a bad break in the flesh (like the Duke arms that the fans did not like) and the design team wanted to deliver a great looking foot for a character who is named Quick Kick.

Way to miss the point Hasbro! We didn't hate the "duke arms" because of the "break in the flesh" we hated them because of the LACK OF ARTICULATION.

The last question about the arctic stuff, I always wondered why Frostbite never made an appearance. He was a very prominent character in the previous itterations of G.I. Joe, but not in 25th. I mean they did SNOW JOB when the argument was against the name, not the character.

I like this one:

TNI: Why wasn't the Quick Kick figure in the DVD pack given ankle articulation; it seems like a chacacter that specializes in karate would be the perfect pick for this?

Hasbro: The ankle articulation would have given the foot a bad break in the flesh (like the Duke arms that the fans did not like) and the design team wanted to deliver a great looking foot for a character who is named Quick Kick.

Way to miss the point Hasbro! We didn't hate the "duke arms" because of the "break in the flesh" we hated them because of the LACK OF ARTICULATION.

Um... I am not in that "We." This is a joke right? The original Duke arms are imperfect because of the break in flesh; it looks way better the way they did it in version 2. The two types of Duke arms have the same amount of articulation.

I like this one:

Um... I am not in that "We." This is a joke right? The original Duke arms are imperfect because of the break in flesh; it looks way better the way they did it in version 2. The two types of Duke arms have the same amount of articulation.

I'm not saying the break in the flesh wasn't stupid, I'm saying it wasn't the main reason we hated those arms. the lack of articulation at the elbows was a much bigger complaint. I don't recall as many complaints about the wrist articulation as I did about the fact the elbows only bent like 30 degrees instead of a full 90 degrees like all the other figures.

But maybe I AM mistaken. They fixed the wrist problem pretty quick with the Tiger Force Flint, but waited 5 times to fix it in Duke. But they never fixed the crappy elbows.

I like this one:

Actually at least from all the complaits I've seen and my own personal opinion, people hated the duke arms on the first figure because the way the articulation was done he could not bend his elbows all the way making it hard to put him in poses where he is holding his rifle correctly ect ect. The updated version corrected this problem, so technically it wasn't added articulation but it was I guess you could say corrected articulation.

I like this one:

I've heard both, honestly. There were several reasons to hate those things.

Honestly, I feel kinda bad for Hasbro. The designers are often accused of not caring enough about the complaints of the fans, but when they try to anticipate the complaints of the fans, they still end up getting complained at. I mean, how do you win?

The last question about the arctic stuff, I always wondered why Frostbite never made an appearance. He was a very prominent character in the previous itterations of G.I. Joe, but not in 25th. I mean they did SNOW JOB when the argument was against the name, not the character.

I must have missed that. What was the 'argument against his name'?

I'm not saying the break in the flesh wasn't stupid, I'm saying it wasn't the main reason we hated those arms.

The "Duke Arms" complaint wasn't about the elbow joint. That was a shortcoming, yes, but it was never the main reason. If you play with your Duke enough, really work the elbow joint, you can get it to a resonable position. That's not the problem.

When Hasbro first addressed the problem with Duke's arms at the 2007 JoeCon, they explained the wrist-swivel was supposed to be at the cuff, not in the middle of the forearm. It was a molding error that was made at the factory, and they were going to fix it at the first available window. So I think most fans who heard that news were aware that when a "fix" came, it was going to be on the unsightly wrist joint, and not the elbow thing. Also, the original wrist joint made the forearms too long, and added to the articulation disaster of the elbow, so when that *was* fixed, Duke's elbow movement has become a moot point. I can easily get him to hold an M-16 with both hands, which really undercuts the elbow problem to practically nil.

The biggest problem was the proliferation of those arms in a line where very few people were supposed to have 3/4 sleeves. Rock'n Roll, Breaker, and Clutch especially, were all meant to have short sleeves. So many fans began to complain about "Duke arm" syndrome because characters who shouldn't even have those arms were getting stuck with them, *and* they had that awful forearm cut.

the lack of articulation at the elbows was a much bigger complaint. I don't recall as many complaints about the wrist articulation as I did about the fact the elbows only bent like 30 degrees instead of a full 90 degrees like all the other figures. But maybe I AM mistaken. They fixed the wrist problem pretty quick with the Tiger Force Flint, but waited 5 times to fix it in Duke. But they never fixed the crappy elbows.

My theory on this is that since JoeCon 07, most fans *knew* the wrist thing was going to be fixed. Hasbro already promised it. So they turned all their attention to the elbow problem, which is why you see that harped on more.

As for Flint getting the better deal, he didn't get new wrists, he got a brand new set of arms, arms that were at least somewhat loaned from Shipwreck's. The other parts are new tooling. It is a totally different ballgame to have a new mold tooled up and inserted into production than it is to take a mold out of production to have it fixed. Hasbro dug their own hole by keeping the Duke mold in constant rotation, for Doc, Steeler, Clutch, Rock'n Roll, Breaker, in addition to the myriad Dukes.

I'm not saying the break in the flesh wasn't stupid, I'm saying it wasn't the main reason we hated those arms.

The "Duke Arms" complaint wasn't about the elbow joint. That was a shortcoming, yes, but it was never the main reason. If you play with your Duke enough, really work the elbow joint, you can get it to a resonable position. That's not the problem.

When Hasbro first addressed the problem with Duke's arms at the 2007 JoeCon, they explained the wrist-swivel was supposed to be at the cuff, not in the middle of the forearm. It was a molding error that was made at the factory, and they were going to fix it at the first available window. So I think most fans who heard that news were aware that when a "fix" came, it was going to be on the unsightly wrist joint, and not the elbow thing. Also, the original wrist joint made the forearms too long, and added to the articulation disaster of the elbow, so when that *was* fixed, Duke's elbow movement has become a moot point. I can easily get him to hold an M-16 with both hands, which really undercuts the elbow problem to practically nil.

The biggest problem was the proliferation of those arms in a line where very few people were supposed to have 3/4 sleeves. Rock'n Roll, Breaker, and Clutch especially, were all meant to have short sleeves. So many fans began to complain about "Duke arm" syndrome because characters who shouldn't even have those arms were getting stuck with them, *and* they had that awful forearm cut.

the lack of articulation at the elbows was a much bigger complaint. I don't recall as many complaints about the wrist articulation as I did about the fact the elbows only bent like 30 degrees instead of a full 90 degrees like all the other figures. But maybe I AM mistaken. They fixed the wrist problem pretty quick with the Tiger Force Flint, but waited 5 times to fix it in Duke. But they never fixed the crappy elbows.

My theory on this is that since JoeCon 07, most fans *knew* the wrist thing was going to be fixed. Hasbro already promised it. So they turned all their attention to the elbow problem, which is why you see that harped on more.

As for Flint getting the better deal, he didn't get new wrists, he got a brand new set of arms, arms that were at least somewhat loaned from Shipwreck's. The other parts are new tooling. It is a totally different ballgame to have a new mold tooled up and inserted into production than it is to take a mold out of production to have it fixed. Hasbro dug their own hole by keeping the Duke mold in constant rotation, for Doc, Steeler, Clutch, Rock'n Roll, Breaker, in addition to the myriad Dukes.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Z

I like this one:

I've heard both, honestly. There were several reasons to hate those things.

Honestly, I feel kinda bad for Hasbro. The designers are often accused of not caring enough about the complaints of the fans, but when they try to anticipate the complaints of the fans, they still end up getting complained at. I mean, how do you win?

I must have missed that. What was the 'argument against his name'?

That's what I don't get, they knew we hated those arms (wrist or elbow irrelevant) yet they used them a dozen times (give or take) BEFORE they fixed it?

As for the Snow Job, name, I couldn't find the discussion on it, but I think it had something to do with the creation of White Out. Something about the name being both a coloquialism for oral sex and having to do with drugs. Some nonsense like that.

Like the way they named the Animated Dinobot Snarl instead of Slag because Slag is a derogatory term in England.

I keep meaning to print off some "custom" name stickers to fix all the stands with changed names.

Copyrights be damned it's MAINFRAME!

and the "-SHORT FUZE" really riles me up, as does "G.I. JDE TROOPER". That's just bad, you'd think it'd be double checked before they went to manufacturing.......