DC Universe Classics Wave 4 Quality Issues

asurmac

OK, I finally had a negative experience with this line (wave). I have been picking up the fiigs as I came a cross them (one at a time, ironically at my local grocery store...) I finally found Wonder Woman at a TrU (figured that'd have been the MOST available character based on popularity, not Bats Beyond!) and whe I got her out of the package, it was like I just released someone from a 1920's polio clinic! Her lower legs were so f-ed up from the static pose they put her in for packaging, that there was absolutely NO way I could have stood her with the rest of the figs!

I fixed it, of course, with a 10-15 sec bath in boiling water (hey, she's an Amazon, she can take it) followed by a cool-down in my freezer, but it just makes me wonder (no pun intended) why we have to do this? Are the assemblers forcing these figs into the packing pose without paying attention to how anatomy works, or is the plastic still so soft where they don't notice what they are doing? I am used to getting that kinda warpage out of accessories (like Ares' weapons, who tested the 'bath' for WW), but it shouldn't come to us having to fix a brand new product, should it?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I finally had a negative experience with this line (wave). I have been picking up the fiigs as I came a cross them (one at a time, ironically at my local grocery store...) I finally found Wonder Woman at a TrU (figured that'd have been the MOST available character based on popularity, not Bats Beyond!) and whe I got her out of the package, it was like I just released someone from a 1920's polio clinic! Her lower legs were so f-ed up from the static pose they put her in for packaging, that there was absolutely NO way I could have stood her with the rest of the figs!

I fixed it, of course, with a 10-15 sec bath in boiling water (hey, she's an Amazon, she can take it) followed by a cool-down in my freezer, but it just makes me wonder (no pun intended) why we have to do this? Are the assemblers forcing these figs into the packing pose without paying attention to how anatomy works, or is the plastic still so soft where they don't notice what they are doing? I am used to getting that kinda warpage out of accessories (like Ares' weapons, who tested the 'bath' for WW), but it shouldn't come to us having to fix a brand new product, should it?

I hear ya on that....I'm really shocked that these guys are so terrible with quality control...really that's the only issue I could find with any of the figures is mishaped paint jobs or odd joints, or stuff falling off! It's nice that I know the freezer trick now, but honestly it's also a shame that we have to know that, or that we have to boil water to fix these great figures that we are already paying a good amount for.

Speaking of DCUC4, I went to my local KB today and found DCUC3! I had Nightwing and Robin, but picked up deathstroke (no variant version though). I'm glad I was there when I was because there were three of him to choose the best from, one had his arm almost completely unattached from the shoulder joint!

I saw these at KB today, was actually the first time I had seen anything beyond wave 1 at a regular retailer but they were $13 each and the paint jobs were terrible on most of them. They had the Sinestro Corps Sinestro figure and the arms and legs had a different shade of yellow than the rest of the body. I can usually overlook minor defects on a figure but these were just bad and at $13 each it was a definate pass for me.

I saw these at KB today, was actually the first time I had seen anything beyond wave 1 at a regular retailer but they were $13 each and the paint jobs were terrible on most of them. They had the Sinestro Corps Sinestro figure and the arms and legs had a different shade of yellow than the rest of the body. I can usually overlook minor defects on a figure but these were just bad and at $13 each it was a definate pass for me.

Hey jay c I don't know your connections or know you that well but is there anyone you can or know anyone we can contact about these issues? Like paint and not being able to find wave 5 or other waves or broken parts. I'm just wondering

Ye Gods! I found yet another figure with a stupid issue! I've been looking for a silver Captain Atom since the wave came out, and have been finding nothing but gold versions. (Go figure!) So today, I finally find one, and I can tell right away there's something wrong with his right arm. Whoever assembled him gave him two left arms (shoulder to wrist) but the proper hands. Now, I'm wondering if it will really make a difference, but for now, I am keeping him MOC in the hopes I can find another and return the defective one.

The other theory I have, if I can't find another, is to pick up one of those gold ones and swap out the problem piece, just re-painting the gold part silver. Now, I have no experience with painting (slash customizing) so I ask anyone here, are there any tips as far as the right type of paint, do I need to sand before painting, do I need multiple coats/final glossy coat, etc? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, though I really hope to just simply find another.

(And yes, I knew about the problem when I saw it in the store, but still bought it, seeing as how he has been so dang hard to find around here! I also wanted to bring it home to compare with the online pics, just to be sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me)

My first thought is it might be difficult to match the silver you'd paint the arm with to the silver of the rest of the figure. You wouldn't want his arm looking totally different from the rest of the figure.

When I used to customize McFarlane Sportspicks, I'd always clean them with brake cleaner to get rid of the mold release or whatever was on them before cleaning them off with hot water. I think DCUC probably has something on them that's similar that would keep the paint from going on as well as it could. Hot water and soap might do the same as the brake cleaner.

If the silver doesn't cover the gold enough (as in the gold shows through and makes the silver darker than you want), you might try priming with a base coat that covers the gold. Whatever you do, the best method is lots of thin coats applied evenly rather than slopping them on. When you're done painting, I'd recommend an acrylic matte finish (or gloss if you want it shiny) over the entire figure so it all looks uniform.

It doesn't have to be this much of a process. You could probably get by with buying some silver paint and just painting the arm. I just don't know how well that works off hand with DCUC figures.

• 2 weeks later...

It turns out patience was the way to go (with my Captain Atom problem). The day after Christmas I went out to run errands, and swung by a Target to see if there was anything worth picking up. For the first time in, like, forever, their pegs were all but barren, with the exception of an OVERSTOCKED section of DCUC wave 4. So I picked out the Captain Atom that looked the best (they all looked alright, but now I'm paranoid) and returned the defective two-left-arm version. Case solved.

I was, however, disappointed that with all the stock they had out, there were no Artemis figs, but I guess that will be a online order someday. I did see a yellow Sinestro, but the 'height' issue bugs me, so I left him front-and-center for the next collector.

It turns out patience was the way to go (with my Captain Atom problem). The day after Christmas I went out to run errands, and swung by a Target to see if there was anything worth picking up. For the first time in, like, forever, their pegs were all but barren, with the exception of an OVERSTOCKED section of DCUC wave 4. So I picked out the Captain Atom that looked the best (they all looked alright, but now I'm paranoid) and returned the defective two-left-arm version. Case solved.

I was, however, disappointed that with all the stock they had out, there were no Artemis figs, but I guess that will be a online order someday. I did see a yellow Sinestro, but the 'height' issue bugs me, so I left him front-and-center for the next collector.

glad you got a good captain atom. same thing happened at the target i walk too, except there were tons of artemis and wonder women on the day before christmas, and today there were 4 of each. i was finally able to get myself a good captain atom. for the non exclusive dcuc, patience is the way to go for sure!