DC Universe Classics Wave 4 Quality Issues

asurmac

So, has anyone else had quality issues with this wave?

I pre-ordered this wave from Cornerstorecomics.com, and It arrived yesterday evening. When I opened the figures, I found a ton of quality issues.

Cyborg had two huge air bubbles in his forearms and two right shoulders.

Batman Beyond’s paint is flaking off his torso, and his belt is mangled because it was put on sideways.

Wonder Woman herself was good except for some paint issues and a mangled belt, but her axe had a huge bubble in it, and the Desparo leg she came with had the left hip joint instead of the right, and the left knee joint instead of the right.

Captain Atom’s right ankle was misassembled and his waist was popped in half.

Ares’ waist is backwards, so his abs are in the back under his cape, and his arms were switched. He also has two left calves.

I haven't even opened the other Batman Beyond that came in this case.

In series 3 which I also pre-ordered through cornerstore, the only problem I had was that my Aquaman had two right forearms.

I contacted Mattel's Customer Support. The lady I spoke with said that If I send these to Mattel at my cost, they will give me a refund of sorts.

Unfortunately the lady I spoke with told me it would be at least two weeks, and I still have the problem of these being impossible to find at retail. Also, Mattel won’t be giving me money back, rather they are going to give me Mattel vouchers which I can only use on Mattel products at certain retailers. Basically if I want to actually own these figures I have to keep these amazingly poor quality ones.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's crazy. I've heard of issues like the ones you have, but not all in the same case.

I haven't had many quality control problems, but this makes me worried for the upcoming MOTUC figures. At $20 each, any issues beyond some bad paint are major.

my WW's elbow hole is twisted up, and wont un twist.

my capt. atom's arm broke, and has a crappy paint job on the back

my unmasked BB has a very crappy gloss coat, and the symbol has a scuff.

despero is missing the female socket on the left side(arm)

i got a capt. atom and he has 2 right arms i doubt the air force would take a pilot with 2 right arms let alone make him a capt. but i'm okay with that cause i'm gonna use his head for a kingdom come red robin unmasked i got a second capt atom he looks fine but the despero torso is useless except for the weapons.

Man, reading all this makes me not want to order this online, which would suck, because it is the only wave I can ever get them...

I'm sure not every case has these problems, though I'm also sure some do. You just have to roll the dice and hope for the best. Waiting to find them in stores may never pan out (though Hasbro finally got their act together with the 25th Anniversary G.I. Joes).

I would never order DCUC online.

Anyhow, what is Mattel supposed to do? They can't give him his money back. The online store he ordered from should give him his money back. Then they can go to whoever sold them... then they can go to Mattel.. or whatever.

You can't just skip the chain like that @lol@

Dang! That is a helluva lot of problems reported with the same line in such a short time. I get my stuff from the real world stores, so I get a chance to see it first, and I've been apparently lucky so far. The worst I can say is my Ares' weapons are bent from the way they were set up in the packaging, but I assume a hot bath and massage will take care of that. Only thing I can suggest is keep the figs in their packages, and, as much as it hurts to say this, wait until you find them in a real store, and buy and return the bad ones. I hate to suggest that because it will only hurt the other collectors in the area, but it sounds like Mattel isn't going to be of much help, other than a refund.

I would never order DCUC online.

Anyhow, what is Mattel supposed to do? They can't give him his money back. The online store he ordered from should give him his money back. Then they can go to whoever sold them... then they can go to Mattel.. or whatever.

You can't just skip the chain like that @lol@

Cornerstore won't take them back if they are opened. Most of these issues I would never have noticed if I didn't open them.

I picked up a batman beyond variant today and had to decide between two of him which was the better after about 10 mins of debate I went for the one with the least amount of flaws. Still though he has paint chipped off near his left thigh and some missed paint spots on the head but those are really only noticable if you are up close to the fig. I didn't want to chance turning them both down and not finding one later, especially when KB opens at 12 am on friday and has tons of sales going on. When I bought my figure I got a coupon for 40% off whatever I wanted to buy next time which is a pretty good deal

I received my case yesterday to and it is full of flaws and errors. Now I order 4 sets, 2 early on and 2 now. The first set was fine but this set was riddled with errors and it was all in 1 case.

Batman Beyond - Paint chips in the chest symbol and belt, legs are stuck

Wonder Woman - Leg is stuck, different color legs

Despero - The knee link is loose and ready to come out the socket

Cyborg - Arm came off but easily connected back on, wrist won't turn on the left arm

Ares - Front of the helmet piece came off, easily snapped into place but still.

Captain Atom - No problems

I only opened 1 of the 2 new cases so I have no idea regarding the other.

It is amazing that Mattel was supposed to fix this and distribution but in truth it has only gotten worse. I never had any errors on the DCSH.

I received my case yesterday to and it is full of flaws and errors. Now I order 4 sets, 2 early on and 2 now. The first set was fine but this set was riddled with errors and it was all in 1 case.

Cyborg - Arm came off but easily connected back on, wrist won't turn on the left arm

It is amazing that Mattel was supposed to fix this and distribution but in truth it has only gotten worse. I never had any errors on the DCSH.

I honestly wish they would start makeing thses things here in the US. We need the jobs and I know we could do better than whats going on over seas. Any one else agree

I honestly wish they would start makeing thses things here in the US. We need the jobs and I know we could do better than whats going on over seas. Any one else agree

Heh - as someone currently unemployed (position eliminated) I can honestly say I would be only too happy to take a position in QC with either Mattel or Hasbro. As long as the money was good, hell yeah, I'd sit there and put figs together right or paint them correctly. I always wanted a career in toys or comics, but could never think of something lucrative. Also, it helps if you live in the right state, like where the plants are.

I picked up a batman beyond variant today and had to decide between two of him which was the better after about 10 mins of debate I went for the one with the least amount of flaws. Still though he has paint chipped off near his left thigh and some missed paint spots on the head but those are really only noticable if you are up close to the fig. I didn't want to chance turning them both down and not finding one later, especially when KB opens at 12 am on friday and has tons of sales going on. When I bought my figure I got a coupon for 40% off whatever I wanted to buy next time which is a pretty good deal

it tok you 10mins to decide to pick the fig with the least flaws? just kidding, i know what you mean

i was just thinking this. i was thinking to myself "DAMN!" they need americans making these. the bad thing is, i bought my wave 4 from the store.

This is actually very alarming, considering the people here represent a verry small portion of customers out there! If there are this many problems with so tight a demographic, imagine what the non-members of this board and non-fans in general are getting! WTF?!? Mattel, are you seeing this?

This is actually very alarming, considering the people here represent a verry small portion of customers out there! If there are this many problems with so tight a demographic, imagine what the non-members of this board and non-fans in general are getting! WTF?!? Mattel, are you seeing this?

Thats a very good point. Hell I didn't even think of that myself. Which i dont have a issue with like legs popping off or arms breaking since i don't open mine. Except for the movie masters batman joker 2 pack i had a hell of a time with one of batmans legs it damn near broke off. If i can open them i like to pose them better than the machaine did packing them. If that makes any sence. But thats why i like to find these figures in retail at least i can see what im getting That is if and when i can find them

I really don't think mattel gives 2 rips any more atfer the constant problems i'v been seeing in paint and distrabution and hearing yalls problems. Maybe in the new year it will change

Ares' Backwards waist

Aresmissassembledbackwardswaistabsi.jpg

Aresmissassembledbackwardswaist.jpg

Batman Beyond's paint chipping off his torso

BatmanBeyondPaintChippingseeleftsho.jpg

Cyborg's air bubbles and two right shoulders

Cyborgairbubblesinbothforearms.jpg

Despero's screwed up right leg

DesperoMissassembledRightLeg.jpg

I don't see the waist issue on ares or the cyborg but that batman is crap im sorry man really

Ares' Backwards waist

Aresmissassembledbackwardswaistabsi.jpg

Aresmissassembledbackwardswaist.jpg

Batman Beyond's paint chipping off his torso

BatmanBeyondPaintChippingseeleftsho.jpg

Cyborg's air bubbles and two right shoulders

Cyborgairbubblesinbothforearms.jpg

Despero's screwed up right leg

DesperoMissassembledRightLeg.jpg

I don't see the waist issue on ares or the cyborg but that batman is crap im sorry man really

yeah....ares ab crunch is on backwards. my unmasked BB has the same problems as your BB.

Well, I don't see the problem with Ares. There are lower back muscles, too, y'know. (just makin' sure) For real, though, I would look at those pics and not be too upset. I guess you could go through the trouble of disassembling and re-assembling the parts, if it's really noticeable.

As far as BB goes, you could just write that off (in you imagination) as pock marks from gunshots. Sure, it could happen! Those are some futuristic bullets those bad guys are using!

Cyborg? Again, the difference is subtle enough to where I would not notice it. (Maybe we should trade?)

Despero? C'mon! That's just a sashay Paris Hilton pose! The dude's got the body, and why not flaunt it!?! (Actually, that might be a simple 'hot-bath-and-a-reshape fix, though for my part, I'd leave it alone.)

If that's the worst y'all got, I'm not so worried after all. ;)

what i would do is keep them and as i find a replacement in the store i would bring the other one back to get my money back (providing you didnt open them)

what i would do is keep them and as i find a replacement in the store i would bring the other one back to get my money back (providing you didnt open them)

The thing about that is the bar code has to match. Both the figure box and the receipt