Anyone Else Running Out Of Room?

DarthJoe

Joe, I feel you. I collect Star Wars, Takara Transformers, X-Men MLs, G.I. Joe some Videogame figures (HALO, Gears of War, Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy). On top of my toys, I am a huge video gamer. I have all three current gen consoles plus a modified PS2 to play imports, a regular PS2 an XBox, and Game Cube. Let's not even go into my game library or my DVD collection.

Her's the best advice I can hope to give you: soul search. I decided with my Star Wars collection being the biggest of them all to find the best quality version of each character and vehicles and sell the rest of them. The only exceptions I make are for the main characters and that's only if they have an iconic outfit like Hothgear or Endor fatigues. Once I got most of the VOTC figures, I sold off the others. There was no reason to have them around when I have far superior versions. I have done the same with my TFs. I will mainly collect the Takara Henkei! line and maybe any Encores of figures that i do not have any versions of. Cybertron and Animated may be the cool thing, but I am a G1 fan first in the TF realm so I am purging all non-G1 and non Beast Wars out. I have also decided to stop collecting 25thAGIJ figures and focus mainly on vintage style or re-issues. I will only collect the vehicles and if I have a vintage version, i am selling it since it is almost the exact same with with minor retooling. Hopefully this will give me more space. i have been eager to execute this purge, but school and work have not been very cooperative.

This is the model I offer: take the best versions of the characters' figures and keep them, sell the rest; determine which franchise means the most to you as far as TFs and only collect that line

Yeah, I've already done quite a bit of that.

I've cut my Star Wars collection nearly in half over the last year, cutting it down to just my favorite versions of each character and getting rid of most of my army builders, except my clones and stormtroopers. I also had to keep all my Vaders, Boba Fetts and Darth Mauls...just couldn't get rid of them. I just recently parted with my Cantina display (shown in the above picture on the computer desk below the Transformers)...and I'm considering doing the same with my Jabba's Palace stuff as well, since it's tucked away in sterelite drawers with no future plans of removal.

I've still found that this hasn't been enough as far as Star Wars is concerned, and as much as I love Star Wars, the toys just don't do it for me as much as GI Joe...and most of this fuss is in the hopes of making room for more GI Joe stuff.

About 4 years ago, I set out with the goal of collecting every single-carded, non-special team GI Joe figure from 1983-1990, in complete, mint/near-mint condition. Well, I've almost accomplished this goal, and have done some army building of many of the Cobra troops on the side, and now I'm finding myself wanting to collect many of the vehicles from 83 to somewhere around 87, and some of the teams like Tiger Force, Night Force, etc...which means I need more room. This, combined with the fact I don't really even have room for my modern era stuff...or a good place to display my Terrordrome and much of my Cobra army properly has led me to decide to possibly part ways with other toy lines...if not completely, then mostly.

The crux lies in me not knowing if I'll regret it in the future. I know most of the Star Wars stuff I can part with without lament...but I'm not sure about the ML stuff. I've restricted myself to just Alternators (of which there aren't that many), and the Classics line with Transformers, and have a place planned out to display them, which won't interfere with anything...so that's not a problem.

I think I need therapy to cope with my toy collection issues, and the separation anxiety that may result from my need for more GI Joe. @loll@

Part of the fun is finding the right place for the right thing.

Not when you're an obsessive compulsive neat freak...and I'm not just talking about being "tidy"...I'm talking about to the point where everything needs to be in JUST the right place. I'm the person who rearranges his living room and will move a chair 2 or 3 inches to the left or right because it looks just slightly out of place. @lol@

I have a question for anyone in the know here.

Does anyone know of some nice looking shelves that are about 6 foot long, and maybe a foot to a foot and a half deep that stand on the floor? Possibly something I could pick up from Home Depot, Lowe's, etc?

If I could find something like that, it would help me immensely. :)

i bought a shelf its about 7 feet tall and about 4 feet wide at walmart for $30, it was really cheap and it looks nice ill take a pic of it soon and post it for you

That was going to be a suggestion of mine as well. There is a company who makes pretty good-quality shelves, among other things. Sauder is the name - I use them exclusively. They have various sizes, one of which will probably fit your bill. The most common are founf at Walmart, Target, Big Lots, etc, and run in 3,4,and 5-shelf units that are about 3-feet long and a tad under 1-foot deep (wide). They are easy to assemble, quite affordable (20-50 depending on height), and look pretty good. You can find their website at http://www.sauder.com/ . Don't look at the prices, you should be able to find what you want in stores for less, especially at Ocean State Joblot or Big Lots. Wally works, too.

Nice!

Thanks for the suggestion guys!

I have a question for anyone in the know here.

Does anyone know of some nice looking shelves that are about 6 foot long, and maybe a foot to a foot and a half deep that stand on the floor? Possibly something I could pick up from Home Depot, Lowe's, etc?

If I could find something like that, it would help me immensely. :)

i bought a shelf its about 7 feet tall and about 4 feet wide at walmart for $30, it was really cheap and it looks nice ill take a pic of it soon and post it for you

That was going to be a suggestion of mine as well. There is a company who makes pretty good-quality shelves, among other things. Sauder is the name - I use them exclusively. They have various sizes, one of which will probably fit your bill. The most common are founf at Walmart, Target, Big Lots, etc, and run in 3,4,and 5-shelf units that are about 3-feet long and a tad under 1-foot deep (wide). They are easy to assemble, quite affordable (20-50 depending on height), and look pretty good. You can find their website at http://www.sauder.com/ . Don't look at the prices, you should be able to find what you want in stores for less, especially at Ocean State Joblot or Big Lots. Wally works, too.

Nice!

Thanks for the suggestion guys!

Cool thing is, with these shelves, they are the perfect size to be able to tack (etc) a carded fig to the backside (facing the public) while still providing the room on the actual shelf to display out of box figs, etc. So you still have your wall-o-display, but basically more slelves to do the dramatic poses of those who escaped the plastic. I do not have a digital cameral, other than my cell phone, but I can say that one half of my basement has shelving along all four walls, and still I find myself running into the same problem you have, as I have a toddler of a nephew. I DO hope this helps. I've been dealing with this problem for some years now, so if it doesn't, let me know - there are other avenues to follow.

I've been dealing with this problem for some years now, so if it doesn't, let me know - there are other avenues to follow.

I hope this doesn't involve BB guns or fireworks. I had a cousin who went this route when we were younger and it was a sad day in GI Joe history. @wink@ @lol@

It sounds like I'm not the only one who's not really displaying much Star Wars, I have a few vehicles, 6" Unleashed and votc style figures scattered about. They've been left in the cold for the most part, and my potf2 figs haven't seen daylight in a decade.

Not when you're an obsessive compulsive neat freak...and I'm not just talking about being "tidy"...I'm talking about to the point where everything needs to be in JUST the right place. I'm the person who rearranges his living room and will move a chair 2 or 3 inches to the left or right because it looks just slightly out of place. @lol@

You and my partner would get along well... nit-picking furniture placement and telling me I can't put my figures where I like because it destroys the symmetry of the entire room... *grumble mumble* @grumpy@

But yeah, space and money concerns are the major reasons I've never been an army builder. I've never had a collection I considered complete, and I'd rather have a new character than another Viper. Besides, with the way things have worked since JvC, I end up with a small squad even when I only buy what I like, due to multi-packs, vehicle drivers, etc... they don't all have the same colors (especially on the details), but I'm just not picky enough to have that mean anything to me.

I hear you all about the space issue. Enough is never enough, at least not for long! I too have had many toy rooms through-out my adult years. Thankfully the space alotted to me has only grown the more I move, and even more thankfully my wife supports the craziness that is my collection. Mainly because she has her own collection of Star Wars legos and galactic heroes.

Currently I have a 22' x 18' finished "man-cave" in my basement. It is lined with 22 industrial shelving units that are all filled to the brim with figures of all kinds. My main collections are ML, Star Wars & GI Joe, but I have alot of others. I'm posting my Photobucket link, sadly my camera ran out of space before I got to the Joes but I got a couple shots of them there. About 4 ft of the 16ft of space allotted to them. I'll be completeing the photos this weekend.

http://s403.photobucket.com/albums/pp111/operarob/

I've been dealing with this problem for some years now, so if it doesn't, let me know - there are other avenues to follow.

I hope this doesn't involve BB guns or fireworks. I had a cousin who went this route when we were younger and it was a sad day in GI Joe history. @wink@ @lol@

Oh hell no! ^_^ I was going to mention something like what CloneKiller said - When I bought the house I live in, it was already finished in the basement with shelves along all the walls. I didn't have to do any work, but looking at them, it doesn't look terribly complicated. You could probably create the same effect with simple 'L' supports and wood planks, which you could customize to your own needs.

By the way, CK - nice pics! I love the setup!

You could probably create the same effect with simple 'L' supports and wood planks, which you could customize to your own needs.

By the way, CK - nice pics! I love the setup!

I have that in my toy room, you can get an attractive looking setup from the Home Depot for not a whole lot of money.

Picture031.jpg

IMO it looks a little better than industrial shelving. Not to knock on your setup or anything CK. Pretty darn cool! :)

OUT

cobra15.JPG

OF

cobra13.JPG

ROOM!

cobra14.JPG

Thankfully, I'm only 6 Stingers away from having the Army I always wanted... not going to build too much more.

I see you have found a BAT / Eel or two...... Do you have any Joe's in your G.I. Joe collection?

I hear you all about the space issue. Enough is never enough, at least not for long! I too have had many toy rooms through-out my adult years. Thankfully the space alotted to me has only grown the more I move, and even more thankfully my wife supports the craziness that is my collection. Mainly because she has her own collection of Star Wars legos and galactic heroes.

Currently I have a 22' x 18' finished "man-cave" in my basement. It is lined with 22 industrial shelving units that are all filled to the brim with figures of all kinds. My main collections are ML, Star Wars & GI Joe, but I have alot of others. I'm posting my Photobucket link, sadly my camera ran out of space before I got to the Joes but I got a couple shots of them there. About 4 ft of the 16ft of space allotted to them. I'll be completeing the photos this weekend.

WOW! That is an awesome collection!

I love looking at other people's displays. :D

cobra13.JPG

I LOVE this picture. All the Firebats, the Rattler...the Fangs...the BATS...Vipers...most of my favorite Cobra stuff all in one display!

On a side note, I've gone the wall mounted shelf route before, and while it looks good, they're kind of a pain in the ass. As much as I like to rearrange, it's a chore to patch up holes in the walls from screws, and drill new holes, level the shelves, etc.

Thanks! It's been a break-neck pace, this past year of collecting, and I've maxed out two cards making this happen!

Now Hasbro needs to get off their haunches, and release 25th Ripcord and Cover Girl, so I can call it a day.

Man I hear you there! Thankfully my army building is pretty much fullfilled. Anything else as far as troopers if I get them I'll get in way smaller numbers than the standard soldiers.

WOW! That is an awesome collection!

I love looking at other people's displays. :D

I'm pleased to report that I can actualy walk around my toy room now. It's still a mess but it's getting there!

I'm pleased to report that I can actualy walk around my toy room now. It's still a mess but it's getting there!

Make sure to post pics when you're done...I want to see it in a non-messy state. @lol@

I am completely out of wall and shelf space, I have to cycle "exhibits" in my "gallery".

ditto, I just did this recently with my 3 shelves lol an just got the best of dvd pack and now have to build the mass device. but it is all good, more the merrier.

What kind of plastic protective case are you using in those pics? The Protech Star Cases?

Yeah, it's the protech cases.