GI Joe resolute is where the line ends

Ren

I'm pretty sure I'll put a stop to buying this line when the new cardbacks debut, just a little over a half dozen Cobra Commanders and Dukes into it. No biggie, just a good time to switch back to the vintage figures. I'm sure I'll enjoy the new cartoon. Just needed a reason to go back to vintage figure collecting exclusively for all toylines (except DC Universe and MOTU classics occasionally). I'll still keep my complete carded 25th collection displayed. And I'll continue to consider it complete as well #US1# . (Unless it's a vintage figure like Shockwave who just flat out didn't get released in time.)

Yeah, I am about done myself. I am sick of the repaints, and thats all I am seeing clogging the stores right now. I haven't went hunting for awhile now. Ordering online seems the only way to get ahead anyway for the good stuff.

I never understood these threads where people announce that they're no longer collecting a particular line. "Hear ye! Hear ye! I hereby declare that I will no longer be buying 25th anniversary GI Joes. For this day forth, I will only buy vintage figures..."

Even worse, sometimes these declarations are accompanied by editorials on how Hasbro has wronged us, the World, and the good name of GI Joe.

I've never seen the need to make such announcements or to draw such lines. I buy what I like and can afford. I sure as Hell don't buy every last thing especially if its a figure I don't want, have no interest in, or flat out dislike. I saw that Scrap-Iron and Wild Bill two-pack today. Wild Bill looks gaudy and Scrap Iron is going to be released on a single card. It's an easy pass. I'm not going to buy it out of some insane compulsion to be a completist. I saw the Wraith figure. He's not a character I had any connection with, but I liked the figure so I picked him up.

I think if people were a bit more casual about this hobby, they'd enjoy it more.

Whaaat? So, is there no room in Ren's life for anything other than a pain-stakingly dedicated reproduction of a 1980s figure he likely already owns? ; )

I know we're not kids anymore, and as a sign of our age some of us don't like new things, and want to remember the good old days with charmers like Blanche and Aggie, but that doesn't mean Pilot Destro is the "DETH OF TEH LINE!!!"

But, to illustrate that Resolute will not be where the line ends, feel free to observe other prophecies of doom that don't come to pass:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Ruined_FOREVER

Tom

But, to illustrate that Resolute will not be where the line ends, feel free to observe other prophecies of doom that don't come to pass:

The Joe wiki really needs to get up to speed so that it can have an article like that of it's very own.

Lessee...

Cobra-La

DiC

Missile Launchers

Neon

Star Brigade

Eco-Warriors

The 90s

Sgt Savage

Extreme

No More O-ring

New Sculpts

New New Sculpts

Duke Arms

Too Many Dukes

Zartan

Major Bludd (see also: Zartan)

Store Exclusives

Can't Find Product

Finding Too Much Product

Can't Find Product Again

The Movie (everything about it)

The Hiatus to Make Room for the Movie Line

A Black Man Cast as a White Third-String Character

There have to be more... feel free to add.

The Joe wiki really needs to get up to speed so that it can have an article like that of it's very own.

Lessee...

Cobra-La

DiC

Missile Launchers

Neon

Star Brigade

Eco-Warriors

The 90s

Sgt Savage

Extreme

No More O-ring

New Sculpts

New New Sculpts

Duke Arms

Too Many Dukes

Zartan

Store Exclusives

Can't Find Product

Finding Too Much Product

Can't Find Product Again

@loll@ Winner!

I get what your saying Ren... my buying has definitely slowed down a lot recently.

Hasbro has really mishandled the line.

They were doing so well with character selection and doing okay with designs up to about wave 7... then wave 8 came with a bunch of needless crap. Wave 9 tried to right the ship, but it was followed by endless revisions and wave 10 with only a couple characters that deserved a shot so soon.. and Wave 11 and 12 are just horrendous in terms of selection.

The comic packs are also a joke now.

its just changed my view from WOW to meh

Do we even HAVE a Wiki? XD

Tom

Sort of.

It's either not well-known or just not well-maintained, and as a result is missing a LOT of stuff. I really wish I could help out with that, but I spend too much time on the internet as it is. I'm also already doing tons of research as my gainful employment, so I just can't bring myself to do it as a hobby. *shudder*

Oh, and I forgot "Not Enough O13 Love" on my list. Blast it, I knew there was more!

Tom

Joe fans are far too busy complaining to work on the wiki. ^_^

Tom

Sort of.

It's either not well-known or just not well-maintained, and as a result is missing a LOT of stuff. I really wish I could help out with that, but I spend too much time on the internet as it is. I'm also already doing tons of research as my gainful employment, so I just can't bring myself to do it as a hobby. *shudder*

Oh, and I forgot "Not Enough O13 Love" on my list. Blast it, I knew there was more!

You forgot Hasbro on you're list, the worst thing to happen to G.I. Joe since the end of RAH. :P

On a serious note; I do believe (but can easily be wrong) the website that 8 ball linked is relatively new. If so, it would take a whole lot of time to load all of the appropriate info into it. I would assume anyway.

That site also ruined Joe forever.....

Lessee...

Cobra-La

DiC

Missile Launchers

Neon

Star Brigade

Eco-Warriors

The 90s

Sgt Savage

Extreme

No More O-ring

New Sculpts

New New Sculpts

Duke Arms

Too Many Dukes

Zartan

Store Exclusives

Can't Find Product

Finding Too Much Product

Can't Find Product Again

Ohh there's lots. Just off the top of my head:

The Movie (not enough from it)

Dreadnoks

Not enough Dreadnoks

Sunbow

Marvel

DDP

IDW

Larry Hama

General "G.I.Joe" Colton (worst character ever)

lack of a TRU exclusive all duke 5-pack (I'm still waiting)

See above w/ Cobra Commander

See above w/ Destro

Transformers

The internet

Can't get the Flagg for less than $100.00 (what a gyp)

My 25th MOC collection hasn't skyrocketed in value to $1,000,000.00 per figure yet. Because the only reason I collect is to re-sell, but I truley am a collector and am completely different from a scalper

Scalpers only buying figures to make money off of them

Horders

Army-builders

Ebay

Online stores

Brick & motar stores

The economy

Oil prices

Grocery prices

Figures cost more now than they did in 1982 (so does everything else, but why use reason?)

Other collectors (the bane of a collector)

I'm just having fun. My tongue is firmly planted in my cheek. :P

I never understood these threads where people announce that they're no longer collecting a particular line. "Hear ye! Hear ye! I hereby declare that I will no longer be buying 25th anniversary GI Joes. For this day forth, I will only buy vintage figures..."

Even worse, sometimes these declarations are accompanied by editorials on how Hasbro has wronged us, the World, and the good name of GI Joe.

I've never seen the need to make such announcements or to draw such lines. I buy what I like and can afford. I sure as Hell don't buy every last thing especially if its a figure I don't want, have no interest in, or flat out dislike. I saw that Scrap-Iron and Wild Bill two-pack today. Wild Bill looks gaudy and Scrap Iron is going to be released on a single card. It's an easy pass. I'm not going to buy it out of some insane compulsion to be a completist. I saw the Wraith figure. He's not a character I had any connection with, but I liked the figure so I picked him up.

I think if people were a bit more casual about this hobby, they'd enjoy it more.

WORD.

My 25th MOC collection hasn't skyrocketed in value to $1,000,000.00 per figure yet. Because the only reason I collect is to re-sell, but I truley am a collector and am completely different from a scalper

Yeah, but then we have to add "having to pay above retail for a MOC variant/running change/mistake/one-per-case figure that's several years old, extremely popular, and was impossible to find when it was new"... quickly followed by "having to pay retail price", "being reminded that GI Joe is a luxury item" and "being told to buy only what I like, rather than being a completist, how dare you take away my right to complain about how hard it is to have this hobby, even though it's completism that makes it so hard..." .

Well, that last one might be too long. It does occur to me that after all that, we forgot the #1 thing that ruined GI Joe forever:

"3 3/4" size! Joes are supposed to be 12", blast it!"

Yeah, but then we have to add "having to pay above retail for a MOC variant/running change/mistake/one-per-case figure that's several years old, extremely popular, and was impossible to find when it was new"... quickly followed by "having to pay retail price", "being reminded that GI Joe is a luxury item" and "being told to buy only what I like, rather than being a completist, how dare you take away my right to complain about how hard it is to have this hobby, even though it's completism that makes it so hard..." .

Well, that last one might be too long. It does occur to me that after all that, we forgot the #1 thing that ruined GI Joe forever:

"3 3/4" size! Joes are supposed to be 12", blast it!"

or:

"12" size! Joes are supposed to be 3-3/4", blast it!"

Dont lie.. lol.. you say that now, but this time 2009 you'll be like.. well, here I am, Resolute and the movie figures and I have 27 Dukes and 37 Cobra Commanders... and 12 Ripcords!!!! @loll@

REally? 12 ripcords? I would have thought 12 heavy duty's lol @loll@ @loll@

Wait, have we even SEEN any ACTUAL Resolute figures? Or are we talkin those repaints of the VvV style figures or what?

I thought it was the MOVIE line that was going to kill 25th, not Resolute. @firedevil@

yeah there are photos on hisstank. the comic packs are all going to resolute figures. so far there are photos of cobra commander (very similar to the battlefield armor from vvv). also they showed 2 comic packs: one of destro (very wierd looking costume) with shockblast aka shockwave (looks great btw). the other 2 pack is stormshadow (very japanese looking armor, kinda crappy too) along with tunnel rat. rat looks great. they also come with a bunch of gear. shockblast & tunnel rat look like they fit right in the 25th line. the others are some wierd hybrid stuff (destro & ss). cobra commander ain't too bad.

WORD.

See, I think this is where I'm at (about to be?) right now; when this all started, I just had to have every single figure, carded and loose. Then I sold them all, regretted it, bought them all back and more...just to sell them all yet again. (lol) In recent months I have kinda second-guessed myself...yet again, and I began to really panic over the notion that I had sold all of these great figures I had and I would have a hard time going back and finding them all on the foil-embossed 25th Anniversary packaging. Then I realized I didn't have to have them. It's okay if I don't have all of the figures on mint cards and then a second set loose. The world will not end. (lol) Now I admit I wish I would have kept my 25th Anniversary Snake-Eyes on a mint card since he was my favorite as a kid, but even then I remember there being a smudge on the file card, so it's all good. I took a deep breath and realized it's okay. Now it's weird but I'm excited about perhaps starting a new collection rather than being overwhelmed and panick-stricken at the thought of starting over from scratch and trying to buy these things back. As a matter of fact, I figured the newer, non-anniversary packaging looks more like the original packaging anyway. I just hope they re-release all of the previous anniversary figures on the newer, non-foil-embossed cardbacks.

But I'm excited at the notion of being a casual collector; I don't have to have every variant, and I may not have to have every single figure. And I don't have to ignore the newer, non-classic figures (Trakker, Blue Baroness, Cobra Flint, etc.) just because they didn't have a vintage counterpart. If I did get back into collecting these things, I think I'd have fun picking and choosing insetad of agonizing over it all and just have fun with it and not worry so much about mint cardbacks and all that obsessive-compulsive stuff I unually engage in. For example, before, I just had to have the mail-away Doc figure, mainly ebcause I was being a completist. But now, I feel like I can pass because he has those horrid forearms. I've tended to have this "all-or-nothing" attitude when it came to collecting, and that can be unhealthy. I'm still mulling over it though. I keep looking at my lone Tiger Force Duke and thinking he looks really cool...but I think he would look even better with some team members and/or vehciles and/or Cobras to fight around him. (lol)

See, I think this is where I'm at (about to be?) right now; when this all started, I just had to have every single figure, carded and loose. Then I sold them all, regretted it, bought them all back and more...just to sell them all yet again. (lol) In recent months I have kinda second-guessed myself...yet again, and I began to really panic over the notion that I had sold all of these great figures I had and I would have a hard time going back and finding them all on the foil-embossed 25th Anniversary packaging. Then I realized I didn't have to have them. It's okay if I don't have all of the figures on mint cards and then a second set loose. The world will not end. (lol) Now I admit I wish I would have kept my 25th Anniversary Snake-Eyes on a mint card since he was my favorite as a kid, but even then I remember there being a smudge on the file card, so it's all good. I took a deep breath and realized it's okay. Now it's weird but I'm excited about perhaps starting a new collection rather than being overwhelmed and panick-stricken at the thought of starting over from scratch and trying to buy these things back. As a matter of fact, I figured the newer, non-anniversary packaging looks more like the original packaging anyway. I just hope they re-release all of the previous anniversary figures on the newer, non-foil-embossed cardbacks.

But I'm excited at the notion of being a casual collector; I don't have to have every variant, and I may not have to have every single figure. And I don't have to ignore the newer, non-classic figures (Trakker, Blue Baroness, Cobra Flint, etc.) just because they didn't have a vintage counterpart. If I did get back into collecting these things, I think I'd have fun picking and choosing insetad of agonizing over it all and just have fun with it and not worry so much about mint cardbacks and all that obsessive-compulsive stuff I unually engage in. For example, before, I just had to have the mail-away Doc figure, mainly ebcause I was being a completist. But now, I feel like I can pass because he has those horrid forearms. I've tended to have this "all-or-nothing" attitude when it came to collecting, and that can be unhealthy. I'm still mulling over it though. I keep looking at my lone Tiger Force Duke and thinking he looks really cool...but I think he would look even better with some team members and/or vehciles and/or Cobras to fight around him. (lol)

1) IF you start collecting again? C'mon man you ain't fooling no one. :P

2)The way of collecting you described above is absoultely the way to do it. I mean it's a hobby not a religion, and it should be treated as such. It's a part of your life, not your way of life. Lotsa guys here would be way happier with the hooby if they could just lighten up.

Wait, have we even SEEN any ACTUAL Resolute figures? Or are we talkin those repaints of the VvV style figures or what?

I thought it was the MOVIE line that was going to kill 25th, not Resolute. @firedevil@

yeah there are photos on hisstank. the comic packs are all going to resolute figures. so far there are photos of cobra commander (very similar to the battlefield armor from vvv). also they showed 2 comic packs: one of destro (very wierd looking costume) with shockblast aka shockwave (looks great btw). the other 2 pack is stormshadow (very japanese looking armor, kinda crappy too) along with tunnel rat. rat looks great. they also come with a bunch of gear. shockblast & tunnel rat look like they fit right in the 25th line. the others are some wierd hybrid stuff (destro & ss). cobra commander ain't too bad.

Hmm. That's the first I heard that those were Res. figures. Guess that explains the 'Wha? factor' of that Destro. :)

Dont lie.. lol.. you say that now, but this time 2009 you'll be like.. well, here I am, Resolute and the movie figures and I have 27 Dukes and 37 Cobra Commanders... and 12 Ripcords!!!! @loll@

Now we're talking!

Whaaat? So, is there no room in Ren's life for anything other than a pain-stakingly dedicated reproduction of a 1980s figure he likely already owns? ; )

I know we're not kids anymore, and as a sign of our age some of us don't like new things, and want to remember the good old days with charmers like Blanche and Aggie, but that doesn't mean Pilot Destro is the "DETH OF TEH LINE!!!"

Tom

I love the new characters like Wraithmaster C and Baroness' 2nd cousin with the green sunglasses, Cobra Commander, CC with hood, Battle Armor CC, CC with a scunk stripe, Comic Color CC, Battle pack CC, black costume CC, red costume CC, CC with the skunk stripe in a three pack, CC in the 5 pack, CC in the battle packs, CC in the ULTIMATE Battle pack (seriously no short fuse or breaker on single card Hasbro, seriously?) , and Zartan with the Carsick action feature.

Hey my old buddies Tom and the rest of you'se guys, you big lugs......we go way back, c'mon now..... I was not complaining by far, I love this line, and I will buy the occasional resolute fig. All I'm saying is this is a great time to stop being a bank busting completist getting doubles of these figures (one for cardback and one loose to make machine gun sounds with.) I'm standing up and shouting THE 25TH LINE IS OVER!! So I can consider my collection complete, the cardbacks have changed, CC and Duke can stay on the store shelf without my interfering with their main pastime, dust collecting. New cardback great time to go back vintage again, at least when it comes to buying everything in this line. #US1#

Meh whatever. There's been a LOT about the 25th/Modern Era that I didn't like. Early on, I would have liked to be a completist, but they've milked the line so much there's too much crap out there.

That said, am I complaining? Not really. I don't mind the chaff, as long as I keep getting figures like Airborne, Dusty and Mutt. I'm mostly about the original designs, but I've got to say that I didn't mind the Air Trooper, and really like the Para-Viper. I hope the line's not dead yet!!!

I guess I should have prefaced the topic, "As a completist...I consider my collection complete when Resolute figures start hitting.... for the most part...except for a figure here and there"

Oh well, hindsights 20/20..........

This had be literally laughing out loud.