Just Say No To JJ Abrams

ensign

I really get tired of being ridiculed for liking Trek and being accused of being a purist and militant. Defenders of this new film are more militant than I have ever been. After today, seeing the rude behavior of people that reply to these things makes me hate Trek more than Abrams ever could. It shows the message is lost on the fans, and if that is the case Trek is already dead.

Before you get TOO offended and start hating Trek, understand that by petitioning a boycott you represent a lot of fans that have made their point by spamming magazine blogs with comments like "Gene Roddenberry is turning over in his grave. How dare you JJ.", or "OMG. JJ ABRAMS YOU HAVE RAPED MY CHILDHOOD."

I understand you have tried to make your point as honest and reasonable as possible, but these other guys have already tainted your side of the argument to the point that it has become pathetic. I mean for crying out loud there's people wanting to protest outside the studio in hopes of stopping the film.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really get tired of being ridiculed for liking Trek and being accused of being a purist and militant. Defenders of this new film are more militant than I have ever been. After today, seeing the rude behavior of people that reply to these things makes me hate Trek more than Abrams ever could. It shows the message is lost on the fans, and if that is the case Trek is already dead.

Oh please.

You are certainly NOT being ridiculed for liking Star Trek, you ARE being ridiculed for a wacko idea about a boycott. As for "new-film militancy"........yeesh.......I think its a call for more open-mindedness about the film, something you've seemed to have forsaken. Its kind of surprising because its that exact open-mindedness that was a considered a hallmark trait of most Star Trek fans.

Your message has been muddled, and you've ended up blaming people as being rude, when all they have been ( here) is honest with you. Geez, its no wonder you are getting contrary opinions.......

If the movie brings in new fans, fine. I just think there are ways to do it without tossing what was, out.

Case in point: NOTHING IS GETTING TOSSED OUT. You can still embrace the Star Treks of old as you always have.

This new film is a re-imagining. It doesn't invalidate anything before it, it just takes a NEW look at it.

If you need to, consider it like an alternative take on Star Trek. Such things ALREADY exist in the Trek universe and have from day one.

Doubt me?

Look at the infamous K& S Lady stories, the animated Star Treks, various novels, Star Trek anime, hell, even the Star Trek Ninja Turtles--they ALL sit outside of canon.

Abrams' movie is to Star Trek what "Smallville" is to Superman.

It entirely up to you if you go for that sort of thing, or not.

Star Trek 4, he tells the Seventh Heaven mother who is a doctor in this pic that he's from Iowa. I've posted this same message on 3 different sites and it seems Abrams has his defenders. If the movie brings in new fans, fine. I just think there are ways to do it without tossing what was, out.

First and foremost I want to apologize. You interpreted my comments as aggressive and "militant", and that couldn't be further from the truth. I simply wished to point out the other side of the coin. I believe the JJ Abrams movie will revive a dead franchise, that is one mans opinion.

Second, you never completely answered the question I posed. I understand Kirk states he is from Iowa, but wouldn't the episode "The Conscience of Kings" contradict said statement? As I stated, Kirk would have been no older than 15 when the events of the episode occured. Also, as I stated, the small details escape me. I am eagerly awaiting your response.

I posted the images from the trailer here:

http://forums.toynewsi.com/index.php?showtopic=2058943

If you look on the first page of images you will notice acloseup on the car young Kirk is driving and it has a Iowa licence plate

Ah yes. Iowa. We're well known for our flat farmland, vast deserts and deep canyons. A little known fact is that we have the highest rate, per capita of Corvette-wrecking kids.

Kirk is definitely from Iowa. I've seen the marker saying so: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverside,_Iowa

I probably won't see this in the theater. I'll get it on DVD.

Ah yes. Iowa. We're well known for our flat farmland, vast deserts and deep canyons. A little known fact is that we have the highest rate, per capita of Corvette-wrecking kids.

For all we know, the resourceful little brat probably told his folks to kiss off, hotwired the thing and went on some angsty road trip to prove a point; just 'cuz the license place says Iowa don't mean he's actually IN Iowa (though IMO it'd be cool if we did have canyons and kids running classic cars off of them like oversized Hot Wheels - heck, 300 years' time and some nuclear exchange in the interim could probably work wonders on the landscape). Would kinda make sense if this is ostensibly the same character who later builds a working cannon out of bamboo and rocks to take out a Gorn.

For all we know, the resourceful little brat probably told his folks to kiss off, hotwired the thing and went on some angsty road trip to prove a point; just 'cuz the license place says Iowa don't mean he's actually IN Iowa (though IMO it'd be cool if we did have canyons and kids running classic cars off of them like oversized Hot Wheels - heck, 300 years' time and some nuclear exchange in the interim could probably work wonders on the landscape). Would kinda make sense if this is ostensibly the same character who later builds a working cannon out of bamboo and rocks to take out a Gorn.

So very true on all points. Hopefully the future Iowa is painted favorably. It is, after all, co-written by the step-brother-in-law of Brandon Routh... so hopefully they did some research while writing the script (FYI- Routh is from Iowa).

The overall look of the movie looks great... but I don't know if it says "Star Trek" to me yet. Almost more like "Starship Troopers" or "Michael Bay's Explosions!". The cast looks fantastic.

I have never been interested in Star Trek and have always thought of it as a dead/dying franchise. But after watching the trailer for the new movie, I am actually excited about something Star Trek related. I think that this is the kickstart the franchise needs to get it going. The purists need to relax about continuity, and actually wait for the movie to come out before going crazy against it.

You know, this 'dead or dying' thing keeps coming up. I don't think anything really dies, as long as there are fans out there. Like I said earlier, I would be OK if Star Trek said 'enough' after that last NG movie. Doesn't mean we will all forget them. To the contrary, that's when it's all the more fun to go out there and read (remember that? Reading?) any of the number of great books out there written for the express purpose of continuing that which fans lova, where the film producers can't or won't. Or hell, write your own even. (make sure you get the OK first!)

The impression I get here is that someone thinks movies/TV must be made in order to keep the franchise 'alive'. Well, how can you complain about it if that's what you believe? I believe that none of these franchises will (in the near furture) really ever die, as long as there are fans around to remember them. Do you think 'Firefly' or 80's Battlestar is dead? Hell, there are even fans keeping 'Gunsmoke' and 'Bonanza' circulating, if at least in reruns alone!

I guess what I mean is Trek (and SW, Matrix, etc) is here to stay, regardless of whether visual media are continued to be produced or not. I am reminded of a great scene in a relatively small movie I love, 'Merlin' with Sam Neill. Specifically, the scene towards the end where Merlin and the fallen populace of Camelot turn their backs collectively on Maab, the queen of magic. "We forget you, Maab," he states as they all turn and force her out of reality. That's the only way something like this will ever die. So as long as even one person holds the flame of imagination with regards to these stories, they will never truly 'die'.

(Now why couldn't I have written anything like that in college, when it would have probably gotten me a better career, or something...?)

Perhaps not now, but in the 23rd century.........

Btw, it seems that Iowa is likely the "Cape Canveral" of that era.

The aforementioned canyon is man made---its an excavation, not a natural feature. That and those immense super-structures in the distance in those shots, I get the impression that building starships is something that Iowans do for their local economy in the future.

I spent 7 years of my life in Iowa, and the only place that has cliffs in that state that I remember is along the Mississippi river side, and there are a lot of trees in that area. Most of Iowa is flat as a pancake, an all there is to see is corn. Lots of corn.

Fellow Iowans, feel free to rip me if I'm wrong. :D I'm not familiar with the north-west portion of the state.

I spent 7 years of my life in Iowa, and the only place that has cliffs in that state that I remember is along the Mississippi river side, and there are a lot of trees in that area. Most of Iowa is flat as a pancake, an all there is to see is corn. Lots of corn.

Fellow Iowans, feel free to rip me if I'm wrong. :D I'm not familiar with the north-west portion of the state.

They say it gets damned cold up there @smilepunch@

They say it gets damned cold up there @smilepunch@

Not too thrilling up there. But not as flat as Kansas. And don't forget the soybeans!

You know, this 'dead or dying' thing keeps coming up. I don't think anything really dies, as long as there are fans out there. Like I said earlier, I would be OK if Star Trek said 'enough' after that last NG movie. Doesn't mean we will all forget them. To the contrary, that's when it's all the more fun to go out there and read (remember that? Reading?) any of the number of great books out there written for the express purpose of continuing that which fans lova, where the film producers can't or won't. Or hell, write your own even. (make sure you get the OK first!)

The impression I get here is that someone thinks movies/TV must be made in order to keep the franchise 'alive'. Well, how can you complain about it if that's what you believe? I believe that none of these franchises will (in the near furture) really ever die, as long as there are fans around to remember them. Do you think 'Firefly' or 80's Battlestar is dead? Hell, there are even fans keeping 'Gunsmoke' and 'Bonanza' circulating, if at least in reruns alone!

I guess what I mean is Trek (and SW, Matrix, etc) is here to stay, regardless of whether visual media are continued to be produced or not. I am reminded of a great scene in a relatively small movie I love, 'Merlin' with Sam Neill. Specifically, the scene towards the end where Merlin and the fallen populace of Camelot turn their backs collectively on Maab, the queen of magic. "We forget you, Maab," he states as they all turn and force her out of reality. That's the only way something like this will ever die. So as long as even one person holds the flame of imagination with regards to these stories, they will never truly 'die'.

(Now why couldn't I have written anything like that in college, when it would have probably gotten me a better career, or something...?)

Well stated Ares. I would have given you an "A+" had I been your professor. (lol)

Dead?

Hell no I just thought it needed to lay low till interest started to pick up

When Paramount announced they were making a new one I thought"Why are they pushing this down our throast when interes had faded

I never thought about a reboot approach but this idea intrigues me

Here's the deal.

You should be getting on your knees and thanking paramount and J.J. to have the juevos to do something to make Star Trek relevant again. Remember when Star Trek was cool? When there were big lines of NON geeks waiting to see Star Trek IV? Yeah. I want to see that again. And the only way I see that happening is to reintroduce the original characters in a way that the kids can relate to without having to worry about 45 years of past nonsense. So yay Abrams. You get my $10 movie ticket and my thanks. Thanks for entertaining me and making millions of dollars doing it....you opportunistic pig.

And on a side note, Star Wars should also be redone. By someone with taste. And Talent. And a new creative outlook. Yes...I'm saying Lucas is a no talent hack with archaic ideas. So there.

I appreciate Abrams making an exciting Trek movie, but something tells me that they should have made a complete break with the franchise in order to reboot it. No more Kirk, Spock, or Enterprise. Create some new characters and go about it. Period.

Here's the deal.

You should be getting on your knees and thanking paramount and J.J. to have the juevos to do something to make Star Trek relevant again. Remember when Star Trek was cool? When there were big lines of NON geeks waiting to see Star Trek IV? Yeah. I want to see that again. And the only way I see that happening is to reintroduce the original characters in a way that the kids can relate to without having to worry about 45 years of past nonsense. So yay Abrams. You get my $10 movie ticket and my thanks. Thanks for entertaining me and making millions of dollars doing it....you opportunistic pig.

And on a side note, Star Wars should also be redone. By someone with taste. And Talent. And a new creative outlook. Yes...I'm saying Lucas is a no talent hack with archaic ideas. So there.

With Star Trek, it went stagnant around the time of Voyager and never recovered. It didn't help that Voyager helped explode what DS9 was trying to do with the franchise by going back to the same old script template that NG used so well. But I don't get why the reboot had to include the old original cast. Star Trek is capable of moving beyond the Enterprise and should. A truly clean break is needed and would work better if they didn't have to use Kirk and Spock over and over again.

As for Star Wars, the new trilogy shows that Lucas got lucky back in 1977 and the audiences were wowed by the special effects and old movie serial plots. If anything happens with the Star Wars films, he shouldn't be the one to write the script.

Hey i've been a star trek fan long before you were a twinkle in your moms eye, I used to go to conventions bought nearly everything star trek. Most of the people I know are trekies and all are looking foreward and support this film. So please speak for yourself and not for all fans because you only relate to stng while true fans welcome all. You are extremely misguided if you think your opinion counts.

Hey i've been a star trek fan long before you were a twinkle in your moms eye, I used to go to conventions bought nearly everything star trek. Most of the people I know are trekies and all are looking foreward and support this film. So please speak for yourself and not for all fans because you only relate to stng while true fans welcome all. You are extremely misguided if you think your opinion counts.

You are refering to ensign, the topic starter, right? :unsure:

You are refering to ensign, the topic starter, right? :unsure:

yep!