The Ultimate Battle Pack Became An Ultimate Gyp!

Neutron

Well, I found the Target exclusive Ultimate Battle Pack yesterday. They were on an endcap and they had five there so I don't think these things are necessarily flying off the shelves. I think given the prohibitive price, these might actually hang around at least for most of the Christmas season.

With tax and everything, I think the final price tag was about sixty five bucks and some change. It was steep. I really defended this set early on when it was announced it would be fifty bucks. At sixty-five though, I think I'm hitting the very limit of what I would pay for this set. The big draws for me were Short-Fuze and the red HISS tank. I know its just another repainted HISS tank but I'm a real sucker for the entire spectrum of the HISS fleet.

Last night, I began setting my set free. The way these things are packaged are a real pet peeve of mine. I know Hasbro is looking to make sure these things display well and it appeals to the MISB collector but to an opener like me it really represents a horrible time where I feel like I'm either breaking into Fort Knox or defusing a bomb. I hate those twist-ties, the rubber bands, and the tons and tons of tape! Why couldn't these things just sit in a plastic tray? Did they really have to weave the wires BENEATH THE FIGURES' WEB GEAR? It's really bad with multi-packs and vehicle packs like this one. This one is the worst yet.

It took me close to two hours to liberate everything. The last thing I set free was the vehicle I was interested in the least which was my MOBAT. To my horror, the MOBAT is MISSING THE COVER TO THE BATTERY CASING! It wasn't included! I'd shredded all the cardboard and plastic getting this thing free and it's incomplete. I know the MOBAT wasn't one of my big motivations in buying this set, but at almost seventy bucks, I'd like this set to be complete!

What can I do? Will the cover from my vintage MOBAT fit on this one?

This issue aside, I enjoyed all of the other pieces in this set. I think if the MOBAT came complete, I would have no regrets whatsoever.

Well, I found the Target exclusive Ultimate Battle Pack yesterday. They were on an endcap and they had five there so I don't think these things are necessarily flying off the shelves. I think given the prohibitive price, these might actually hang around at least for most of the Christmas season.

With tax and everything, I think the final price tag was about sixty five bucks and some change. It was steep. I really defended this set early on when it was announced it would be fifty bucks. At sixty-five though, I think I'm hitting the very limit of what I would pay for this set. The big draws for me were Short-Fuze and the red HISS tank. I know its just another repainted HISS tank but I'm a real sucker for the entire spectrum of the HISS fleet.

Last night, I began setting my set free. The way these things are packaged are a real pet peeve of mine. I know Hasbro is looking to make sure these things display well and it appeals to the MISB collector but to an opener like me it really represents a horrible time where I feel like I'm either breaking into Fort Knox or defusing a bomb. I hate those twist-ties, the rubber bands, and the tons and tons of tape! Why couldn't these things just sit in a plastic tray? Did they really have to weave the wires BENEATH THE FIGURES' WEB GEAR? It's really bad with multi-packs and vehicle packs like this one. This one is the worst yet.

It took me close to two hours to liberate everything. The last thing I set free was the vehicle I was interested in the least which was my MOBAT. To my horror, the MOBAT is MISSING THE COVER TO THE BATTERY CASING! It wasn't included! I'd shredded all the cardboard and plastic getting this thing free and it's incomplete. I know the MOBAT wasn't one of my big motivations in buying this set, but at almost seventy bucks, I'd like this set to be complete!

This issue aside, I enjoyed all of the other pieces in this set. I think if the MOBAT came complete, I would have no regrets whatsoever.

For the future: A good way to get past those twist ties is use nail clippers. They destroy those damned things in no time.

return yours in the mangled box adn tell them it was missing something, don't buy another one and return it, cause they'll just throw the return back on the shelf, if you give them the mangled box, they'll have to send it back.. why screw over the next guy who might buy that returned one.

Go buy another set and take the MOBAT battery cover out of that set and then return it.

Ahh...Damn. I'd really hate for it to come to that.

Can someone verify for me if my vintage battery cover will fit on this tank or not?

Why is Hasbro forcing me to turn to crime?

For the future: A good way to get past those twist ties is use nail clippers. They destroy those damned things in no time.

I allways use nail clippers there powerful little things

Price tag aside, if there are 'n00b's to Joe collecting (or just 'late bloomers')....this set gives them the opportunity to hit the ground running with a variety of Joe and Cobra figures/vehicles....once this hits my area, I'll definately snag this up....

As for the cover on the tank, it *should* fit.....for all the 'tweaks' to the vehicles, they're still the same molds......good luck!

Took mine back this morning, couldn't stomach the price tag, felt like I got ripped off all week long. Too bad, I really wanted Short-Fuse, but I guess the original 13 will have to remain the original figures in my collection. Probably a good thing.

The MOBAT was one of the very first Joe vehicles ever, and one of the first I ever got as a kid, it has a place in Joe history, I would hate to see any mold destroyed. Mauler would have been awesome, though.

Well I picked one up today and even with the price its still a good deal. I saw it yesterday and didn't pick it up because of the lack of helmets but found out they are packaged inside. For me it's one of those things that you can find a lot that you don't like about it but later you want it and can't find it. If you are waiting for Black Friday you might just miss it plus the hassale of dealing with all those crazy people running around you might not find it such a great deal know matter how much they knock off. LOL

There is one on our endcap that Cobra Commanders helmet is off

I think it might of fallen off but I can't see it

The helmet is included, along with everyone else's headgear and accessories in a little bag inside the cardboard base.

Does anyone how to go about contacting Hasbro?

So it's the mold that was used for the TRU Exclusive in that year, apparently.

I have a feeling the price on this is going to drop sooner rather than later, despite the stories of it bumping up to $69.99. I already bought mine and have no regrets (I liked these particular repaints), but I can see how many others would feel otherwise.

I do kinda wish the "Cobra Vehicle Gunner" would be made available somewhere else, but it's not that big a deal.

There is one on our endcap that Cobra Commanders helmet is off

I think it might of fallen off but I can't see it

I did see the signs for the ad for the Black Friday two day as and there is nothing Joe wise on sale

Nobody's got squat this year for figures. Unless you count the small discount Kohl's is having. It's even worse for Star Wars stuff. K-Mart is the only one having anything and it's buy one get one free. And we Star Wars collectors know how much that one figure is priced for. @grumpy@

So it's the mold that was used for the TRU Exclusive in that year, apparently.

I have a feeling the price on this is going to drop sooner rather than later, despite the stories of it bumping up to $69.99. I already bought mine and have no regrets (I liked these particular repaints), but I can see how many others would feel otherwise.

I do kinda wish the "Cobra Vehicle Gunner" would be made available somewhere else, but it's not that big a deal.

I am saying this now: I will mock and say "I told you so" to the first person that posts about not being able to find this set on clearance after Christmas. Star Wars, Transformers, GI joe, the same crap happens all the time.

Hasbro reveals repaint store exclusive, fans #$#@# about it being repaints or it being too expensive, and one of two situations happen:

1. Fans DO wait and get it on clearance, but because it had to be clearanced to sell, stores' opinion of the brand has been diminished (see Transformers Universe after the big Walmart push in 2004)

2. The item (in this case, released at the height of the christmas shopping season) ends up selling at most markets and the fans that waited are left in the cold (see the GI joe Desert team TRU set released in 2004, or even last year's Star Wars Ultimate Battle Packs)

From what I've seen, Hasbro is fully committed to running this toyline like Star Wars, which means in another year or so, we WILL get a new Short Fuze, and if fans make enough fuss, I'm sure Hasbro would be more than happy to churn out a repaint of the trooper in this set. After all, fan fussing get us single packed Dreadnoks

Let's face it...if this pack didn't contain Short Fuze, the Ultimate Battle pack would have been a non topic and all posts about it would be on page three by now (aka, message board grave yard!)

I thought about asking for it for Christmas, but no. I'll come up with something else. I have no doubt Short Fuze will show up cheeper some way, some where. And if he doesn't, he doesn't.