Custom 15" Devastator G1 Combiner Figure

Mig

I just came accross one of the best custom Devastators I have seen and I had to write about it:

http://www.actionfigurecustoms.com/2008/11...re-thyvipera84/

Also, I am not sure if everyone knows about eBay and Microsoft's Cash back deal but you can save up to 30% off of anything Buy it Now. I know times are tough for lots pf people so I thought I would pass it along so people can take advantage of it. You can read about that here:

http://www.actionfigurecustoms.com/2008/11...n-figures-ebay/

I just came accross one of the best custom Devastators I have seen and I had to write about it:

http://www.actionfigurecustoms.com/2008/11...re-thyvipera84/

Also, I am not sure if everyone knows about eBay and Microsoft's Cash back deal but you can save up to 30% off of anything Buy it Now. I know times are tough for lots pf people so I thought I would pass it along so people can take advantage of it. You can read about that here:

http://www.actionfigurecustoms.com/2008/11...n-figures-ebay/

It's a really, really nice custom. Like it a lot. I was able out pick out most of the parts, but I liked that bout it as it made the hard work even more impressive.

Some of the magnets could have been hidden better, I think, but that's really minor.

As a side note, I see a lot of people doing weathering on their customs, and I just have to wonder why. Doesn't that just make the custom more likely to stand out among the other figures? That just defeats the idea behind it, IMO. It's not that it doesn't look good, it just that it doesn't look much like a toy, at least to me. Of course, maybe that's the answer right there- putting 'art' above 'toy'...

I think weathering takes the custom to another level and I agree it becomes more art than something you play with. With dioramas like this, it makes sense to weather this one. I am an overall fan of the technique and I think it sets the customs apart than doing a straight repaint.

Hasbro! Are you paying attention? THIS is what we want for combiners in a Universe line. Not not the crappy combiners that have nothing in common with their orginal save the name.

I think weathering takes the custom to another level and I agree it becomes more art than something you play with. With dioramas like this, it makes sense to weather this one. I am an overall fan of the technique and I think it sets the customs apart than doing a straight repaint.

Yeah, I can see it if it's meant to be a dio thing... but something like that will NEVER mesh with an existing collection. That's the thing that gets me. When I do a custom, I want it to blend so well that people don't even suspect that it's not store-bought.

I guess it boils down to a difference in design philosophy... I'm just surprised that so many collectors complain when Hasbro makes figures that don't 'blend', but the most popular customs are the ones that don't.

not bad! I've seen a few better looking ones though. This one mostly just needs a better proportions, and a better neck design. looks kinda funny.

amazing paint job though

not bad! I've seen a few better looking ones though. This one mostly just needs a better proportions, and a better neck design. looks kinda funny.

amazing paint job though

I do agree that the neck design is a bit odd for the head style on the right. It looks like it is being held up by a toothpick. I too have seen better ones but he did a fanstastic job and I would rank this one up there with the best....the figure has personality.