My favorite Star Trek Scene

Wheeljack35

With the retooling,relaunch or whatever you want to call it...I have been reminicng about when I was 13 in 1979 and seen TMP around december of that year

Star Trek made it big comback because of Star Wars

Paramount got into the movie"Space Race" by bringng back back the old tv show to the big screen

Although to me that is ...It's not the greateat Star Trek movie this is my favorite scene

And seeing that new movie Enterprise I cannot stop thinking about my favorite of all Enetrprises the refit origional

So here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSvV2QTAcHY

This has been, and always will be my favorite scene when it comes to loving a ship for all of it's glory. TMP is suppose to feel like you are at the London Town Orchestra, and all of the visuals fit the music. If you are not into orchestra, then the movie may seem boring to some people. TMP seem to be modeled after the 1968 version of 2001 Space Odyssey. Slow moving visual effects that meant to "broaden the mind".

Sorry, this scene does nothing for me. It could have been shortened by about, oh...five minutes. Maybe it's because I had already seen dozens of TNG episodes as well as a few Star Trek sequels before I even saw the first movie. I'd already seen starships in high detail.

My favorite Star Trek scene would be one a little less awe inspiring...the scene where O'Brien and Bashir get drunk together. It was a season 3 episode of DS9.

Although the reveal scene was cinematic poetry, my fav TMP scene came a few minutes later:

IIRC, its after Spock arrives, solves the intermix problem and the ship has gone to warp--although it MIGHT be just before this...

There's a shot of the Enterpise soaring at warp, and we cut to a medium down-angle of the bridge.

The strains of Alexander Courage's theme play through this scene.....and for me.......the setting is complete. Spock is there, the ship is functioning ideally......all the pieces are in place and NOW the adventure can begin. Its like coming home, after a long absence and finding things familiar.

But my top of the list favourite scene is in Wrath of Khan.

At Spock's funeral at the mournful wail of Scotty's bagpipes playing Amazing Grace, and the torpedo loads into the launcher, the scene shifts to outside.

There, the music swells to orchestral...........still Amazing Grace, but its as if the Enterprise herself is bidding farewell to one of her greatest stewards. I still tear up watching it, and I have seen the movie dozen upon dozens of times.

Any steadfast fan knows the Enterprise is truly a character in the series in her own right. We share the affection with the characters in the story, and its acknowledged in so many ways and at so many times.

As Admiral McCoy says to Data in a dearly wistful scene in TNG ( Encounter at Farpoint):

"She's got the right name. Treat her like a lady and she'll always bring you home."

I cant remember when the first time I saw TMP was, but I know I didn't really appreciate this scene until I was about 14. By that time I had seen all of TNG and DS9 was kicking into high gear with its 4th season, so sufficed to say I was well versed in Star Trek and numerous Starfleet ships.

But watching it when I was finally old enough to begin understanding the subtleties of character, metaphor, symbolism, and other literary devices I was finally able to appreciate what had been "boring" movies or parts of movies when I was a kid.

And so watching this scene again, it has become one of my favorite in all of "Star Trek". From a few short lines of dialog you can see how much the Enterprise means to both Kirk and Scotty, and how that mutual love for the Enterprise helps to define their relationship. Without any words, you can see Kirk recognize that Scotty is purposefully making him wait by taking the long way around, and you can see Scotty grin as he makes course adjustments. Watching Kirk strain his head to try and get a look around the dry dock, it's easy to see how long and hard he's fought for this moment.

The music is beautiful, and so the whole scene comes together perfectly.

But my top of the list favourite scene is in Wrath of Khan.

At Spock's funeral at the mournful wail of Scotty's bagpipes playing Amazing Grace, and the torpedo loads into the launcher, the scene shifts to outside.

There, the music swells to orchestral...........still Amazing Grace, but its as if the Enterprise herself is bidding farewell to one of her greatest stewards. I still tear up watching it, and I have seen the movie dozen upon dozens of times.

Any steadfast fan knows the Enterprise is truly a character in the series in her own right. We share the affection with the characters in the story, and its acknowledged in so many ways and at so many times.

That part gets to me every time. I know he's coming back, but it was so well done. @cry@ :D

One of my favorite scenes from the original movies was when they stole the Enterprise. Not only was that so cool, but the music went well with that sequence too. Then when it was all said and done, Scotty makes the classic remark, "The more they over look the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." @loll@

One of my favorite scenes from the original movies was when they stole the Enterprise. Not only was that so cool, but the music went well with that sequence too. Then when it was all said and done, Scotty makes the classic remark, "The more they over look the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." guitar.gif

I kind of draw a line after Wrath of Khan.

Search for Spock was pure backpedaling--because the movie is given away in its title, and the whole thing was a contrivance to bring Spock back in as a character.

It invalidates the death scene in Wrath of Khan, and cuts the poignancy in half--and to top it off, they gut-punch the audience with the needless destruction of the Enterprise. Its a very dark turn for the franchise.

Voyage Home does little to assuage that loss, because the whole film is almost farcical, and as contrived. The Cetacean Probe was a great concept, but it was surrounded by a tone that made no sense.

...and then they follow it up with Final Frontier.....

Oh man.......its the only Trek film I have seen only twice.......no, scratch that, I've seen Insurrection twice as well. Final Frontier stank........no two ways about it. I watched it the second time out of the hope that it'd improve upon a second viewing.

Uh-uh.........it stinks even worse.

I refuse to buy it on DVD, will not have it in my collection and gladly have a gap in the numbering of the movie......just to spite that apocryphal miscarriage.

Undiscovered Country is a uneven half-measure.......a shadow of what Star Trek was, and could be--it tried to bring things back.......but I think it failed.

Every Trek movie since has fallen prey to the same kind of approach, IMO.

TMP was closest to Roddenberry's literal idealized vision for Star Trek, and yet as a movie.......its weak.

Wrath of Khan plays stronger, but that is because it embraces the Horatio Hornblower take, moreso that the " Wagon Train to the Stars" take.

I agree only with the fact that The Final Frontier was the weakest entry in the series. But even then I enjoy it on some level. It's a guilty pleasure for me, just like Insurrection. (lol) To me, even when the Star Trek movies are bad they're still good, kinda like pizza. (lol)

But I will say this; I love Star Wars for the action, but I love Star Trek for the situational stuff, more character interaction and the cerebral stuff, the exploration of the unknown.

And ARROW, you've got to think about the impact at the time these movies came out, not in retrospect as a whole. You'll remember at the time everyone was stunned that they'd kiill off Spock. But then The Search for Spock comes out, and it's like, "What? There's the chance he's still alive?! How're they gonna pull that one off?!" And then they bring back a beloved character. And The Voyage Home was almost like a light-hearted break from all of the dark stuff the crew had endured as of late (then). I even watched Part III again last night for the first time in a long while, and I loved the drama of seeing Kirk jeapordize his career, his ship, and even his life...all for his friend. They go back to the Genesis planet to retrieve Spock's body only to discover he's alive. There's hope! But then they find themselves outgunned, outnumbered, then stranded on a dying planet without a ship at the mercy of a sadistic Klingon captain who wants nothing more than their destruction in his quest to wield the power of Genesis. And through a precarious hand-to-hand fight Kirk manages to kill Kruge(?) and fake his way onto the Klingon ship and save his crew in the nick of time along with Spock. I just personally think it's one of the best and most underrated Trek films of the series. I just love it. And I love Part IV too, so...nyah! (lol)

And concerning the destruction of the Enterprise, remember Starfleet was gonna decomission it anyway, so Kirk was sacrificing it for a noble cause on his own terms instead of surrendering it to the "shipyard" as it were. The ship went out (quite literally) in a blaze of glory as a hero if you will.

And ARROW, you've got to think about the impact at the time these movies came out, not in retrospect as a whole.

Oh, trust me, its a considered factor.

I've seen each of these movies in turn as they came out ( opening day, in almost all cases) and my opinions haven't changed on them much in the years since.

And ARROW, you've got to think about the impact at the time these movies came out, not in retrospect as a whole.

Oh, trust me, its a considered factor.

I've seen each of these movies in turn as they came out ( opening day, in almost all cases) and my opinions haven't changed on them much in the years since.

You mean you didn't even like them back then? Hey man...to each his own, right?

You mean you didn't even like them back then? Hey man...to each his own, right?

Yea, not even when they came out......with one exception: Voyage Home.

TMP, I had enormous expectations for, and it was one one the first of few movies I saw on my own as a teen. It was a sobering experience for me, because..........part of the way through the movie.......I yawned. From boredom.

I wanted to like it, but for years afterwards......that bothered me. I accepted that it was simply a boring movie.

Wrath of Khan was just great all around, but Search for Spock felt so hollow.

I was asking myself at the time " if they want to keep anything a surprise in the movie, why are they even mentioning Spock in the title. Doesn't that give it totally away?"

The movie itself bore that out--once they start looking for him.......its a given that they will find him.

Voyage Home, I liked when I first saw it. But it was silly........it really was. Everything was played for yucks.

Final Frontier......just................just.............<sigh>

It was cliché after cliché wrought again and again, and horrible continuity errors. Things that made zero sense........

Undiscovered Country was just........it was like it tried too hard. We could have had Saavik, we got Valeris........and pink Klingon blood......

We got the Enterprise with a galley, but not using replicators--its uneven stuff, stuff they should have been on top of.

The story again felt like what it was...........mere histrionics to get the cast/crew to a place where they could retire the roles. It did not feel like it mattered.

As much as I felt like a fan going through the motions, the movies felt much the same way to me.

Of course, then.......a few years later..........in 1996, the 30th Anniversary TV special outright killed my interest in Star Trek for a good long time--and that is another sordid tale in itself....

I see where you might have the opinions you have about the films. The Wrath of Kahn was the pinnacle of Trek greatness, I will agree. But...maybe I'm just easy (lol), but I've enjoyed them all, even the bad ones.

I was very little when The Motion Picture came out, so it would be a few years later when I'd actually see it. But only in the last few years, when I bought the Special Edition, did I watch it all the way through and actually pay attention and understand what I was watching. It is rather drawn-out and boring in parts. But I think that's only because they were trying too hard to make up for the tv show's horrid budget and somewhat cheap effects. I think they were trying to make Star Trek as epic in appearance as it was in concept. For that reason I enjoy it.

Wrath of Kahn: Excellence. 'Nuff said.

The Search for Spock: Now ARROW, you have to admit you didn't want to accept the fact that Spock was dead, and as a fan you'd want to see them bring him back. Even if it's implied in the title, they could have searched for him and just found his body...or found his body possessed by Space Lincoln. (lol) Just because they were searching for him doesn't mean they were going to find him...alive even (although it would have sucked hard if they didn't find him. Now that would have been a huge letdown...) But I think they delivered with a really neat twist on how he was brought back, and the circumstances in which they found and rescued him were exciting and dramatic to say the least. But maybe that's just me...

The Voyage Home: Like I said before, this one was a fun, funny, more light-hearted romp that was a nice break from all of the heavy, dramatic, and dark stuff that had been happening in the other movies in the series. I still love it, even though it teeters on being a comedy.

The Final Frontier: To me, it has its moments; a new Enterprise, the great scenes of Spock, Kirk, and Bones camping in Yellowstone, and pretty ominous premise (They're physically searching for GOD this time?! Cool!). But ultimately it comes across as a direct-to-video, cheesy Sci-Fi-Channel Original Movie. (lol) The low point? Kirk's hostage rescue attempt, complete with "alien" horses and a cheesy nod-to-Star Wars (?) cantina. (Really? HORSES Shatner?? Are you kidding me??) (lol)

The Undiscovered Country: I absolutely love this movie, but I think it feels more like a really good tv mini series. It just didn't look or feel as epic as the other films. The sets seem more claustrophobic, and it just had a cheaper feel to it at times. And I hate...no, ABHOR how the crew all poses in front of the Federation podium after they foiled the intergalactic assassination plot. CHEEE-SSSYYY!!! (lol) But I still love it nevertheless.

• 3 weeks later...

I think my all-time favorite ST scene is the theft of the Enterprise in STIII. That single sequence, to me, overshadows any shortcomings the movie has (even the fact that the movie goes out of its way to establish Starfleet Command as the Frank Burns to Kirk's Hawkeye) - even Uhura gets to be bad@$$ (I particularly love the stare she gives Mr. Adventure when he first says 'Maybe this is O.K. for someone like you whose career is winding down...'). It's just a fun sequence right down to the Excelsior's engines grinding to a halt the second they switch on their fancy-shmancy transwarp drive (and Sikking's snobbishness is perfect, making it even easier to see how Sulu ended up becoming Captain of this ship). Big plus for Horner's score, too; it delivers all the comedy and seriousness in equal measures for the scene. And the dialogue throughout is snappy - everybody involved reels off at least one great line. Considering the moodiness of what we've seen up to that point and what's to follow, this whole sequence is a great break from the overcast tone without diminishing the pace of the story. It's a much-needed injection of fun into the proceedings, which is probably why it had the impact on me that it did.

Second favorite ST scene: the destruction of the Enterprise. Granted, it was plastered all over the teasers, but it was no less significant when I saw it on the big screen. She went down fighting, as she should have, and when she should have (against Klingons, no less) - it underscores Genesis as a harbinger of nothing but death and destruction, and having already taken Kirk's best friend and his own son, that it would take his one true love only seems like a matter of course. B'sides, Spock coming back shouldn't have been a freebie anyway; victory is always better the more it costs, and while David's death doesn't really mean much because we barely even knew the character, the loss of the Enterprise WAS almost as heart-breaking as losing Spock, so IMO it was absolutely necessary that the Enterprise be destroyed in STIII. I mean, there's gotta be a trade-off, or you're really cheating the audience. I suppose if they wanted to balance the scales, they could have just killed off another beloved character like Scotty, but then it's a case of going back to the same well too many times - better to lose the ship and risk losing half of the audience than lose another beloved character and risk losing MOST of the audience.

Third favorite: the death of Spock. Granted, the second we saw that photon tube lying in the thick of Genesis' greenery at the end, that was pretty much the unlocking of the back door right there, and true, you'd have to have been pretty naive to believe after seeing that that Spock wasn't going to come back somehow, in some form (of course, the same could be said for the mind-meld with McCoy, but without the benefit of knowledge of the third film, that somehow seemed a little more cryptic and didn't immediately feel to me as if there would any way to pay that off). But even now, with Spock long having been resurrected since, the scene is still pretty affecting to watch - it has what is easily some of the best acting Shatner has ever done (which is good, considering "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!"). It also marked one of the major differences between Star Trek and Star Wars at that point - when ESB ends, we know Han has been frozen in carbonite, but he's still alive, just as Luke just manages to survive the thrashing Vader gives him, and Lando and Chewie take off in the finally-repaired Falcon to begin the search, so the ending is still relatively upbeat; by contrast, at the end of STII, Spock is dead, Scotty's nephew is dead, Terrell killed himself, Sick Bay's all backed up, and the Enterprise has been carved up like a Thanksgiving turkey - the anguish just feels more all-encompassing to me, as if the ONLY thing to look forward to after so much suffering is Spock's seemingly-inevitable resurrection.

I loved Star Trek 4.Yes it was light hearted but the sequence I liked from that film was were the Klingon Bird of Prey(USS Bounty)decloaks in front of the whaling ship.Also with ST 3 the stealing of the Enterprise was very cool in the way it was done.I didn't see the film when it came out in 1984 but my mom did.During that sequence people were cheering for the Enterprise to escape space dock.