SHIELD Helicarrier?

MetalChaos

I'm planning on doing a huge custom project one day and the SHIELD Helicarrier will be a part of it, so I'm looking to make a custom Helicarrier from scratch or near scratch. I'm thinking of using pieces from different helicopter models, a few naval jet carrier models and a lot of GI JOE/Cobra Vehicles to use as SHIELD vehicles. Anyone have any tips on how to handle this project?

This is what I'm going for:

House_of_M_Vol_1_6_page_3_Helicarri.jpg

Only need some turbines big enough and a big enough naval ship to use.

These are what I'm gonna customize to be SHIELD Vehicles:

Ghost_Hawk_02.jpg

HAS15616.jpg

HAS16308.jpg

HAS16309.jpg

I'm looking to make this in scale with the Fury Files figs and for it to be able to house a load of 3.75" figs as well as have a functioning hangar for the Ghost Hawks and working hatches for the Drop Offs to depart from. I'm also gonna try to add on several sets of offensive cannons to the underside.

I plan on using any Joes/Cobras I buy as SHIELD agents. I'm particularly fond of masked joe/cobra figs so I might be trading off all unmasked figures. I'm also hoping for the release of FF SHIELD Agents and hoping to zeus that they release an FF Nick Fury based off the Ultimate Nick Fury.

So what's everyone's thoughts?

Though I really wish Hasbro would release a massive version of the SHIELD Helicarrier, like the massive toys of yesteryear, anyone else want a official release of the Helicarrier?

It really depends upon what you can do, what you can afford and what you have room for.

Basing it off the USS Flagg toy means it'd be under scale--heck even at 10 feet long it'd still be under scale for GIJOES. But be that as it may, it you go for something on the order of say........6 feet long, you could make an okay representation of the vehicle.

(To make the thing ideal scale for its "intended size, you'd be looking at something like about 20 feet long for a ship as "small" as an assault carrier ( Tarawa-class), and as long as 30+ feet for a Nimitiz-class carrier. Yes, they are THAT big....)

The second thing you'd need to think about is how to display it. Look at it this way.......you are essentially building a big couch. It'll take up as much room, could weigh as much and ......well, cost as much.

If you have the room, perhaps think about building a permanent stand for it, something that can support its weight, and yet allow for it to be displayed "in the air" as the helicarrier is meant to be.

Aside from that.........you would not need to make it entirely out of wood--just the frame of the thing.....essentially the keel, support stand, and basic supporting bulkheads, and probably the main flight deck. The rest you can get away with using foamcore board and good quality heavy card stock, and/or plastic sheet/ plastruct materials.

Foamcore can be used for a lot of interior structures, and stuff like the island and deck structures.

Card stock has some flex to it, so you can use that to rib the hull, and create some modestly complex curves out of it. Plastruct or Evergreen plastic sheets or tubing can be used for small details.

Things like jet engines.......look toward the RC Model hobby stores and find some ducted fan engine nacelles. They'll be plastic, probably in all kinds of shapes and sizes, and you can either use faux jet turbines or turboprops.

If you've never built something this large with these kinds of materials, think in stages.

Get used to the stuff you'll build with before you tackle the big job, so you know what the strengths and weaknesses are in the various materials.

Start small.........try building some easier stuff, like maybe an X-men danger room display--which is pretty much just a box. Or a Fantastic Four lab, or an Avengers meeting room etc--and then tackle the big thing like the helicarrier.

really I would just do a front end display, something to have ironman and the mighty avengers ( I assume...) stand on ... & then you can add nick fury and maria hill and the falcon and new cap ect all on display with it as well... & you know that is the house of M version right ?... honestly I would flip through the TNA or MA series for a more classic version even civil war has one I'm sure

really I would just do a front end display, something to have ironman and the mighty avengers ( I assume...) stand on ... & then you can add nick fury and maria hill and the falcon and new cap ect all on display with it as well... & you know that is the house of M version right ?... honestly I would flip through the TNA or MA series for a more classic version even civil war has one I'm sure

I know it's the House of M version, I'm actually thinking of doing a more realistic version like the one in the made for TV movie starring David Hasselhoff.

I'm planning on making this into a lightweight Helicarrier than can be mounted on the wall like a shelf. I'm thinking of doing only half of the helicarrier so it'll be easier to mount and easier to build.

• 1 year later...

I'm planning on doing a huge custom project one day and the SHIELD Helicarrier will be a part of it, so I'm looking to make a custom Helicarrier from scratch or near scratch. I'm thinking of using pieces from different helicopter models, a few naval jet carrier models and a lot of GI JOE/Cobra Vehicles to use as SHIELD vehicles. Anyone have any tips on how to handle this project?

This is what I'm going for:

House_of_M_Vol_1_6_page_3_Helicarri.jpg

Only need some turbines big enough and a big enough naval ship to use.

These are what I'm gonna customize to be SHIELD Vehicles:

Ghost_Hawk_02.jpg

HAS15616.jpg

HAS16308.jpg

HAS16309.jpg

I'm looking to make this in scale with the Fury Files figs and for it to be able to house a load of 3.75" figs as well as have a functioning hangar for the Ghost Hawks and working hatches for the Drop Offs to depart from. I'm also gonna try to add on several sets of offensive cannons to the underside.

I plan on using any Joes/Cobras I buy as SHIELD agents. I'm particularly fond of masked joe/cobra figs so I might be trading off all unmasked figures. I'm also hoping for the release of FF SHIELD Agents and hoping to zeus that they release an FF Nick Fury based off the Ultimate Nick Fury.

So what's everyone's thoughts?

Though I really wish Hasbro would release a massive version of the SHIELD Helicarrier, like the massive toys of yesteryear, anyone else want a official release of the Helicarrier?

I just joined up because of this exact topic. My kids like the new Superhero Squad cartoon, and the heroes all live on the Shield Helicarrier. I've decided to make one for them since there is no toy or model version existing. In doing the research, it looks like the major component's of this frankenstein's monster of a ship are an Osprey plane kit or two, and aircraft carrier and a blimp. The trick will be to mod everything together cleanly and make sure that the model chassis can handle the need for large removable sections for play access, the finishing of interior detail, the addition of elevators, main control room, a fractal storage facility, smaller vehicle storage (and entrance/exit, as well as some room to run wire and power for various LEDs, small video displays, a secure jail, and perhaps power and gearing to the turbines/rotors and several winches to pull charachters up into the belly of the beast. I'm going forward with this come hell or high water, and would appreciate any pointers from anyone who has done something similar. If I was shooting for a result (in terms of feature level, fit and finish and action figure/playset (vehicle) interaction on par with that found on the legacy series Millenium Falcon for example, does anyone have suggestions on what scale aircraft carrier and blimp tp work off of? Any help is greatly appreciated. My wife thinks that I am not going to be able to get this done before March 23, and there is no way that I can let her be right about that!

Sorry about the initial rample -- and for any help given!

Zak

I'm thinking of building an 18"ish by 36"ish block of polystyrene or something and then carving it to the right shape for the main body, glassing it then finishing out the inside and outside (using expanding foam as a gap filler) then adding a wood aircraft carrier deck to the top a few guns/radar dishs that I scavenged from old GI Joe and star wars stuff on ebay and then taking the rotors ferom 2 of these kits http://www.scalehobb...t.php?kw=osprey and bolting/epoxying to the sides. How hard is glass work? How thick will I need it for load-bearing walls?

• 7 months later...