Indy Customs

ExultedUnicron

• 2 weeks later...

Great customs there!

Okay, I'm embarrassed to ask this, but I'm not much good at cutomizing figures so I need some advice.

First, what kind of paints do you use? I've always used Humbrol enamel paint, but I'm not that happy with the results. Is there anything better available?

Second, I've used the boiling water trick to take the figures apart so you can switch parts around, but it's really hard to get the arms and legs back in. Am I doing something wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the good words. As for your advice:

1. I use Games Workshop paints. They work better with the plastic and the paint lasts forever. The downside is, they're not cheap. They're £2.20 per pot of 12ml.

2. I use a hair dryer. If you can't afford a major salon expensive one with dozens of settings, a cheap store brand one will work. Use that to heat the joint and the pin on the arm till the arm pin is soft and pliable. Depending on the setting and brand, it'll take anywhere between 30 seconds and 2 minutes to do. Of course, it takes longer, but I tend to let it cool after doing a part.

I use the boiling water bit. A cup of water in the mircowave for 5 minutes softens the plastic pretty fast and allows you to change out the parts alot quicker. Though DarkHorse is right about not heating up the pins on the arms and leg sockets. They become a pain to get in when pliable. You can also cook sculpey in boiling water.

As for paints personally I use the cheapy Appel Barrel and Color Traditions paint you can get at Wal-Mart, Michaels, etc. They work great for me and cost at most $1 a bottle.

I'm working on 2 customs right now and they are a pain in the ass. I've had to mod the hair on both. I've made KOTCS Marion using the torso and head of ROTLA Marion with the lower legs and Jacket of Indy.

The other is Sophia Hapgood from Fate of Atlantis, using torso and head of Marion and the lower body of Russian Soldier. So far, the glue isn't taking well.

Thanks for the tips guys, this is really helpful. I'll get started straight away. I'm going to make some Hatay soldiers for my Grail Temple set, probably using Russian soldiers.

Good call. I'm using them to make my tank drivers.

just using the craft knife to cut some age lines in the face.

you have any IDEAS for making a GERMAN mechanaic???

I've got Barrage beside me and there's little modding to be done, only really thickening the beard.

I guess it depends on how accurate you want it. If you want your young Henry to have a 'fro, then go for it. If you want it like the photo, you'll have to totally resculpt the hair.

I've got Barrage beside me and there's little modding to be done, only really thickening the beard.

I guess it depends on how accurate you want it. If you want your young Henry to have a 'fro, then go for it. If you want it like the photo, you'll have to totally resculpt the hair.

I don;t think Barrage has that much of a 'fro myself

• 9 months later...