New G.I.Joe 5 Figure Boxset

The Wire

As crazy as it sounds, I might just get this, and split the figures with a friend of mine in California. I'd really like a decent Ship Wreck, and that one seems the best so far. I'm sure the Flint and the SE are like a spit in the eye to some people, but I don't mind. I think I still prefer SEv3 and Tiger Force Flint. Hawk's... different, at least. But I just bought a Wave 9 Hawk the other day, so the new one would probably get shipped off.

Snake Eyes: Well, he gets a mold that ISN'T a reuse of his version 1. Thing is....do we really care anymore? It looks nice though. Why did they make a new mold if Timber? I wonder why the never put in articulation.

Lady Jaye: Didn't we JUST get this exact figure in the DVD set? Colors not withstanding.

Hawk: Still has the gimp-hand it seems. I guess its better than another Duke, but they had a LOT of guys they could put in there.

Flint: His head looks lopsided. But we get gloves, lol. What the hell is that gun in the pic?

Shipwreck: I'd get the set just for Polly @firedevil@ It looks like he got a new body too. Am I mistaken?

Let's get a quick rundown. I absolutely will be buying quite a few of these sets. I really love what they came up with! They know hardcore collectors want the best versions possible. That's what we are getting in this selection.

Snake Eyes is 1985 accurate. He finally has his signature blade, and a new Timber. I have to look at the color aps, because I thought parts of him are more black.

Flint has corrected arms, crotch, and I think his old gun. I will just pop out heads with the old one, something one of the sculptors admitted anticipating when sculpting toys. Case in point: The comic pack Battle Damaged Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow (Zartan) was thought about when he sculpted the new Zartan with the Storm Shadow disguise mask. Just put the New Zartan head on that Storm Shadow body!

Lady Jaye: Completely Sunbow accurate. I was hoping for changes to be made on her, but never did I think they would go this far! She keeps her hatless head and javelin quiver, maybe lipstick too, but added a buttoned up top with knife on her left chest, new belt with canteen, new arms with articulated wrists, a full javelin she can hold without a broad midsection, and fixed hips with new legs and boots. This is a full on cartoon-accurate Lady Jaye!

Shipwreck: he gets a new head, new arms AND gripping hand!. He may have a new lower torso, looking at his belt. He looks again, more Sunbow accurate.

Hawk: No Abernathy tag, and he is in Sunbow accurate aps.

These are the perfect figures you were waiting for if you wanted Sunbow accurate toys. Now bring on Duke and Scarlett!

I personally like this set, but...why does Snake-Eyes have that weird gloved right-hand? Was he into Michael Jackson in the 80s? (lol) And I LOVE that Lady Jaye; this cartoon-accurate version has much more detail than the original 25th Anniversary version, oddly enough.

I personally like this set, but...why does Snake-Eyes have that weird gloved right-hand? Was he into Michael Jackson in the 80s? (lol) And I LOVE that Lady Jaye; this cartoon-accurate version has much more detail than the original 25th Anniversary version, oddly enough.

Lady Jaye surpassed all expectations after I saw the DVD pack one. I thought that's the best I was going to get. To have one completely done will all new improvement blew me away. She si missing her 80's pink lipstick and tanner skin. But whatever. HaHa.

There are few 25th-era Joes that I can comfortably say I would be just fine if this was it. I can add Lady Jaye to that list.

I'm liking pretty much everyone in this set........(on a side note the animal upgrades are cool too, flapping wings Polly and "about to strike" Timber.) That Viper is awesome..........the only problem I have is why did I have to buy 2-3 versions of these figures before Hasbro finally gets in right.........What am i gonna do with the crappy Flint/Zartan/Viper/Lady Jaye etc.....before this. Granted, no one is forcing me to buy these sets when they come out but still.........I'm getting a little tired of Hasbro's trial and error............it is making figures better but its not really helping my pocket.........

All and all I'll be getting these sets though......maybe just to keep MIB as a display set or something.......cool improvements overall though.

Well now we can't say that Hasbro isn't hearing our beef's. I really don't want to be getting a bunch of figures that I have already bought but I since they are much more accurate I will be buying them. I love me some Hasbro and the 12 versions of SE, Duke and Cobra Commander I get each year. I keep buying so they keep making new ones and because of my plastic addiction.

These are the perfect figures you were waiting for if you wanted Sunbow accurate toys.

Except Flint, who's an odd man out in that regard. I think there's still hope for him though, especially since they can just repaint the figure in this set and- presto!

These are the perfect figures you were waiting for if you wanted Sunbow accurate toys.

Except Flint, who's an odd man out in that regard. I think there's still hope for him though, especially since they can just repaint the figure in this set and- presto!

I'm going to just pop and switch the head with the V1 Flint.

That SE mold isnt new since it is the one packed with the pyramid of darkness pack.

I wonder why hasbro is still recyclin the shipwrecks arms for fIintt since the shipwreck shown has a new set of them>

Lady Jaye appears to be a new sculpted fig. Sucks that the javelin is thicker but not really an issue since I can use the other cartoon jl javelin for her.

I wonder if the hatless head was made along/intended for the revised the body and Hasbro just decided to use the head earilar for the dvd set.

x.jpg

How will that fix the problem with neither body being in the cartoon colors?

I can't be the only one to want the olive shirt and camo pants from the Sunbow series. :)

I wonder why hasbro is still recyclin the shipwrecks arms for fIintt since the shipwreck shown has a new set of them>

I don't think they are. They used them on the TF version, and no one (to my knowledge) has said they are reworked from Ship. Shipwreck's first arms had different sleeves, a closed fist on the right hand, and didn't have what appears to be a watch on the left forearm (look at Flint in the box pic and you can spot it; it's also on the TF version). The muscle structure on Flint's forearms also appears to be a bit more defined, but that may just be me.

So Hasbro either made all-new arms for him, or used Ship's old arms while remolding three of the parts and making one new part (the right hand has to be new no matter how you go about it)... I guess they could be using them for Flint, but 2/3 of the parts involved are substantially different, and the two remaining parts are of questionable uniqueness, so even then I'm not sure they could rightfully be called reused.

Doom Saber, thanks for posting comparison pics of Lady Jaye what an improvement!!! Looks like they finally got her right, and the javelin to me looks fantastic!!! Man thought I would never get a perfect version of my namesake!! I may tear up!! :D

I will be getting this set, improvements all around!! Glad to see the crappy small heads, anime look is finally going away!! Man someone needs to slap some sense into those first designers, anime is not to be a part of this line!! That first Scarlett was hideous, the new pilot version if fantastic!! Same with the Baroness, anime does not belong in GI JOE. Kudos to the new designers, you guys are really making this line work!!!!

I can't be the only one to want the olive shirt and camo pants from the Sunbow series. :)

Holy crap you are right. I am sorry, how could I forget?! I have blinders on, clearly. But think about this:

I was talking to a few friends about the Joe and Cobra comic packs. They appear to be fixing a few things while erroneously painting others. For instance, we get a nice Sunbow Lady Jaye (I know her javelin she's holding is thicker, but accurate with respect to the lack of a grip in the middle, which aggravated me. She has the diamond tip head and can be used like the pole-vaulting javelin she used), Sunbow Gen. Hawk, a toy-accurate Flint after a head swap, a better Shipwreck with updated arms, hand, harpoon gun(?), and polly, and 85 Snake Eyes with the 1985 sword (the name escapes me). While this is meant to be a Sunbow-esque set, the Joe Team at Hasbro took the oppurtunity to fix Flint's arms here. My guess is the strategy was to fix Flint here, which everyone was clamoring for ever since the original release. If they released him in Sunbow colors first, while happy, everyone would have been upset that they STILL hadn't corrected the original version. The original version was also just re-released single carded, so to just correct him on a single carded one would visually detract buyers from buying 2 Flints (why they didn't throw corrected Flint in the single card re-release is beyond me). So this set lacks...

A Sunbow-colored Flint (which can be released Single-carded now or in a comic or DVD Battle-pack)

A Shipwreck with belt hook for his anchor line or Old-school gun (which Sunbow Shipwreck didn't have).

The Cobra set has some must-buy features, while adding head scratching choices as well:

Storm Shadow: They added his missing nunchuks, and gave him the Sunbow look of sleeveless arms and bandaged ankles, but the black belt and white bandages are gray. Why?! Potential re-release later on? Man, they are milking it! You'd swear that was deliberate, as there was zero explanation for those color choices.

Baroness: Amazing update, with unfilled heels, double knees, molded Cobra Symbol, "feminine proportions" we'll say, and a new head (same hair). All I'd ask is to re-release her single carded with her original gun, keep her waist webbing black (maybe remove the vertical striping) instead of silver, and give her waist-length hair for once.

Zartan: Looks great. He could have used some new disguise masks. His chest is flairing red like when he gets emotional. Very cool touch. A real Chameleon would have been cool too LOL.

Cobra Commander: He had the updated hand ever since the 2-pack with Tripwire. We need a newly-sculpted Cobra Commander, with mirror-plated helmet like the new Viper in this set, as well as real non-daddy-long legs proportions. He was one in most dire need of an update, and an open hand is the tip of the iceberg.

Viper: Perfect now. same correct accessories, with fixed wrists and mirror-plated helmet. Obviously he was added here to sell multiple sets. They are not dumb. I can see returned sets with swapped out Vipers coming now. @grumpy@

But my friends do have a point. Some appear to be paint choices that will make us beg for another release with corrected paint aps. It's like Storm Shadow needs mileage out of his new sculpt, so paint him inaccurately first. Why must we wait for the 4th release of a given character before we can finally say "they got it right"? That is frustrating. A lot of my friends now don't know what to do with their old 25th Joes. It's kind of sad and frustrating.

Some things can be fixed in hindsight, but not in anticipation.

I gotta say I'm not feeling this set (I like the cobra set though)

Lady Jaye: Sure she's got the knife. I can't put my finger on it but something about her is just off. Don't like.

Snake Eyes: The wave 1 V2 SE is still my definitive version. Timber doesn't get displayed on my shelf so I don't care.

Hawk: Straight up repaint, don't like the colours I think the first release of this figure was more 'toon acurate

Shipwreck: Looks like a train-wreck IMO. I like the original release way better. Thought the Popeye arms suited him, nicer head, the sleeves on this one? C'mon, that looks really bad to me. The fist never bother me. I actually kind of like it. Polly is nice but I'm not buying a whole set just for the bird. I can even go as far to say I hate this version.

Flint: Not bad for parts if wanted to kitbash a flint together, but wev'e already gotten those parts already.

This whole sets a pass for me. I wouldn't mind the Flint, but again only for kitbash parts (save me the trouble of painting). I'm sure we'll get him down the road, I'm waiting for the Hall or Heroes version myself which I'm sure will be an even better version.

I was talking to a few friends about the Joe and Cobra comic packs. They appear to be fixing a few things while erroneously painting others. For instance, we get a nice Sunbow Lady Jaye (I know her javelin she's holding is thicker, but accurate with respect to the lack of a grip in the middle, which aggravated me. She has the diamond tip head and can be used like the pole-vaulting javelin she used), Sunbow Gen. Hawk, a toy-accurate Flint after a head swap, a better Shipwreck with updated arms, hand, harpoon gun(?), and polly, and 85 Snake Eyes with the 1985 sword (the name escapes me). While this is meant to be a Sunbow-esque set, the Joe Team at Hasbro took the oppurtunity to fix Flint's arms here. My guess is the strategy was to fix Flint here, which everyone was clamoring for ever since the original release. If they released him in Sunbow colors first, while happy, everyone would have been upset that they STILL hadn't corrected the original version. The original version was also just re-released single carded, so to just correct him on a single carded one would visually detract buyers from buying 2 Flints (why they didn't throw corrected Flint in the single card re-release is beyond me).

Oh, I figure they'll do it to. Got my fingers crossed, anyway.

Baroness: Amazing update, with unfilled heels, double knees, molded Cobra Symbol, "feminine proportions" we'll say, and a new head (same hair).

You know, I didn't even realize just how different that figure was until you pointed it out. I noted the new head and 'fixed' waist and kept right on going. But if you compare her to the original 5-pack figure... WOW. I'm pretty sure that the lower torso is the only shared piece, and even THAT is the altered 'cartoon' version rather than the original!

Cobra Commander: He had the updated hand ever since the 2-pack with Tripwire.

Well, that was a Crimson Guardsman from the neck down. I think this is the first time CC has two hands on his own 'classic' mold.

We need a newly-sculpted Cobra Commander, with mirror-plated helmet like the new Viper in this set, as well as real non-daddy-long legs proportions.

The 'Best of' DVD set has the mirrored helmet covered, at least. :)

Viper: Perfect now. same correct accessories, with fixed wrists and mirror-plated helmet. Obviously he was added here to sell multiple sets. They are not dumb. I can see returned sets with swapped out Vipers coming now. @grumpy@

I predict both these sets will be FILLED with swap-outs once they hit shelves. These are way to many corrected figures in one box. Not that they'd check, but how is any sales clerk who's not into joe going to know the difference?

I don't think they are. They used them on the TF version, and no one (to my knowledge) has said they are reworked from Ship. Shipwreck's first arms had different sleeves, a closed fist on the right hand, and didn't have what appears to be a watch on the left forearm (look at Flint in the box pic and you can spot it; it's also on the TF version). The muscle structure on Flint's forearms also appears to be a bit more defined, but that may just be me.

So Hasbro either made all-new arms for him, or used Ship's old arms while remolding three of the parts and making one new part (the right hand has to be new no matter how you go about it)... I guess they could be using them for Flint, but 2/3 of the parts involved are substantially different, and the two remaining parts are of questionable uniqueness, so even then I'm not sure they could rightfully be called reused.

You're rite on the upper arms. I forgot that they were different because I don't have my tiger force ver and shipwreck at hand at the moment. Not sure about the lower ones (will compare them with my figs later tonight) because they both appear similar towards one another on yojoe. Regardless, I wonder why Hasbro stuck with these arms or the shipwreck ones with other joes like crankcase and the upcommin outback especially how small they look with other limbs like the new shipwreck arms. I mean the small arms on Flint caused Hasbro to make the head for the tiger force one smaller than the original 25th anniversary.

I mean with the viper and the updated sw arms, hasbro can make more proportioned joe figs without the puny limbs

I also like the updated shipwreck since the arms are noticably thicker and the head is bigger; I never like how HAsbro makes a lot of their 25th jvc and ml with pin heads

Hoppefully, the new flint will have bigger arms (which I do not think will happen) since the bigger v1 head looks really weird with the tiget force arms

We need a newly-sculpted Cobra Commander, with mirror-plated helmet like the new Viper in this set, as well as real non-daddy-long legs proportions.

The 'Best of' DVD set has the mirrored helmet covered, at least. :)

The CC in that pack also has a bigger head which is more proportioned than the shrunken head CC from the previous 5 pack wave