I wonder when mattel will ask for a bailout

nonameshmo30

Um......are you at all serious?

A toy manufacturer is hardly an essential pillar of a national economy, like an automaker, banking system or insurance broker would tend to be. It'd be like bailing out a fast-food chain.......we can all live quite well without either, but we'd have some trouble without cars, banks or insurance.

If Mattel collapses, they are on their own unless a white knight investor rides in to prop them up, or another company takes them over..

A toy manufacturer is hardly an essential pillar of a national economy, like an automaker, banking system or insurance broker would tend to be. It'd be like bailing out a fast-food chain.......we can all live quite well without either, but we'd have some trouble without cars, banks or insurance.

If Mattel collapses, they are on their own unless a white knight investor rides in to prop them up, or another company takes them over..

Its a joke just to pass some time. Don't take it so seriously. every one moaning about the distrabution problem i just thought this would be funny.

Its a joke just to pass some time. Don't take it so seriously. every one moaning about the distrabution problem i just thought this would be funny.

I had to ask, because given some of the posts in these forums, one can never be too sure....

Got news for you there buddy. None of them deserve bail-outs. Unfortunately with the banking biz it is a nessessary evil. The car companies can go belly up . It would have a major effect to begin with but things would settle as others take their place........I better stop now so I don't turn this into a political discussion. LET'S TALK TOYS!!!!!

Got news for you there buddy. None of them deserve bail-outs. Unfortunately with the banking biz it is a nessessary evil. The car companies can go belly up . It would have a major effect to begin with but things would settle as others take their place........I better stop now so I don't turn this into a political discussion. LET'S TALK TOYS!!!!!

i know this isnt a political thread but im going there. Why should we give the banks a damn dime. Why dont the ceo's take a pay cut to help fix the problem. There already makeing millions.And i saw that AIG took another vaction after asking for 40 billion more. You know i remember a time where billion and trillon were made up words. But anyway if these big banks went under there would be others poping up. Credit unions and smaller banks could step up. I know we are in a bad situstion.

But what happens when we as a people get behind on our bills or whatever. Do we get a bailout hell no we dont. we get calls from bill collectors at all hours of the day and night. and threats they will take our stuff or sue us. So why should people already makeing more than there worth be bailed out of anything. Instead of bailing out someone needs to go to jail over this they need to take responsabilty. cause we the regular people have to

Why should anyone else be different. Were hurting like never befor while millionares from these banks go to resorts and spend money most of us cant even dream of. I say take there paychecks and help pay this crap off instead of rasing our rates and not telling people and charging more to use you money so they the banks and whatnot can keep on driveing there fancey cars and golfing and getting massages.

i know this isnt a political thread but im going there. Why should we give the banks a damn dime. Why dont the ceo's take a pay cut to help fix the problem. There already makeing millions.And i saw that AIG took another vaction after asking for 40 billion more. You know i remember a time where billion and trillon were made up words. But anyway if these big banks went under there would be others poping up. Credit unions and smaller banks could step up. I know we are in a bad situstion.

There's been a great deal written on why--all of which you can read for yourself elsewhere. The gist of it is that it has to do with perceptions. A bank is supposed to be a safe place to sequester money....if the banks are seen as NOT being secure then people will not take their money to them. Without that money, banks cannot make loans, and without loans businesses and people cannot operate or grow. Without growth the economy is impacted and commerce slows down. When that happens, people rightly decided to charge more for their goods, because there is less demand, and costs climb--and everyone has less money to do things with overall.

If Banks are perceived as being stabilized and supported, in spite of all these kinds of upsets......then people will still take their money to them, and commerce will ( in theory) continue largely unabated.

But what happens when we as a people get behind on our bills or whatever. Do we get a bailout hell no we dont. we get calls from bill collectors at all hours of the day and night. and threats they will take our stuff or sue us.

If you are getting calls from bill collectors that say/do those kinds of things.......then they are in the wrong and can be penalized. In Canada and the US, insolvency does NOT mean that you will "lose your stuff".

Under special circumstances, you CAN be "bailed out" to a degree.

Over 4 years ago, I declared personal bankruptcy in Canada--and while I did voluntarily give up a house and a vehicle.....I kept every other possession ( including items I was still owing substantial amounts on) and subsequently REGAINED a vehicle and home in short order.

That is what the shelter of insolvency can "gain" a person.

Its not a bail-out in the strictest sense, but my creditors were held at bay once Ideclared and was seen as insolvent, and then largely sent away and I suffered minimally for it. They lost very little as well because, by law, they were allowed to write off what I owed them as losses.

In retrospect, it was one of the smartest things I have ever done.

Mattel has such a huge international market, I doubt they're even hurting much from the current state of our economy. They have a huge presence in Latin America and Europe, and even produce product there that you can't find in North America. They also own Fisher Price and who-knows-what else, so they're not just in the boy's toy market. Not saying that we won't see some prices creeping up though like they've been doing across the board.

The bailout was seen as a necessary evil, so to speak, and I didn't like the idea, but I felt it had to happen for the greater good. But my problem with it is now banks are being even more tight and giving out fewer loans than before, continuing to make a killing off the interest from everyone else's money. No one's forcing them to do what they need to do for that greater good; they're hoarding the money and trying to gain even more wealth. So essentially, so far, the bailout has done nothing because those that were bailed out aren't holding up their end of the bargain.

The bailout was seen as a necessary evil, so to speak, and I didn't like the idea, but I felt it had to happen for the greater good. But my problem with it is now banks are being even more tight and giving out fewer loans than before, continuing to make a killing off the interest from everyone else's money. No one's forcing them to do what they need to do for that greater good; they're hoarding the money and trying to gain even more wealth. So essentially, so far, the bailout has done nothing because those that were bailed out aren't holding up their end of the bargain.

There's an article on CNN.com today that cites that legislators are indeed noting that banks have NOT been using the money to addressing mortgages directly. The legislators are reminding banks that have received funds of what the intent was, and not to horde or misuse said funds, or "they will legislate further".

I work in the operations center of a smaller bank, and I would just like to say that not all banks were irresponsable and lent out money to people who shouldn't have it on houses that are worth less than the mortgages on them. True, the banks have been very selfish and it is harder to get a loan now, but over time things will begin to normalize again. It's the Pendulum effect in full force.

Also, what the hell Mattel? When are we going to get DCUC on a regular basis?

I just want to say I DONT TRUST BANKS never have never will. I got a friends still in construction who told me the other day they didnt get a job because her bank one of the big ones are withholding loans. No matter how good or bad your credit is. And i saw on the news today that the banks who are supposed to be "trasnparent" with there spending are saying theres nothing in the bail out agreement that makes them do anything other than collect a big fat check. I'm not sayin its all there fault cause it goes back to bush and his wonderful leadership letting the oil and banks run everything. I'm just so mad and frustrated at all this crazy sh#t and feel the same about mattel or WHO ever is running the company. Wheres our frickin figures................................

I just want to say I DONT TRUST BANKS never have never will. I got a friends still in construction who told me the other day they didnt get a job because her bank one of the big ones are withholding loans. No matter how good or bad your credit is. And i saw on the news today that the banks who are supposed to be "trasnparent" with there spending are saying theres nothing in the bail out agreement that makes them do anything other than collect a big fat check. I'm not sayin its all there fault cause it goes back to bush and his wonderful leadership letting the oil and banks run everything. I'm just so mad and frustrated at all this crazy sh#t and feel the same about mattel or WHO ever is running the company. Wheres our frickin figures................................

Well, if you want to believe that, go ahead.

On the other hand.......I just bought a house in the past two weeks, and that in a supposed economic climate that says the banks are not lending. So maybe the claims of withheld loans is not quite true.....

Well, if you want to believe that, go ahead.

On the other hand.......I just bought a house in the past two weeks, and that in a supposed economic climate that says the banks are not lending. So maybe the claims of withheld loans is not quite true.....

I think it depends on the area too

Mattel is in trouble?

Well then, I will glady be one of those white knight investors to rise up and help them survive.

Just please show me where the DCUC figures are and I will happily plop down plenty of money.

err... wait... you can't actually find them in stores? But I want some and I am ready to buy them... Nope? Still won't help get them into stores?

uhhhh.. ok

@rolleye@

Mattel was voted one of the 100 best places to work last year...and they have plenty of jobs for both Americans and Chinese (who pretty much own our economy). Sure, they aren't as important as GM or Cinnabon, but they do help the economy in some way.

LOL, for what it's worth it made me laugh.

Mattel is in trouble?

Well then, I will glady be one of those white knight investors to rise up and help them survive.

Just please show me where the DCUC figures are and I will happily plop down plenty of money.

err... wait... you can't actually find them in stores? But I want some and I am ready to buy them... Nope? Still won't help get them into stores?

uhhhh.. ok

@rolleye@

I have $60 bucks burning a whole in my pocket that will gladly help out two of our fine American institutions.

Come On Mattel and Walmart, LET ME FIND THOSE WAVE 5 FIGURES, preferably in the store within relative driving distance of my home at regular retail price versus the $200 economic wave 5 plans I have seen on Ebay.

Sooo, which happens first, economic upswing or better DCUC distribution?

Mattel is in trouble?

uhhhh.. ok

@rolleye@

Yeah really, point me in the direction of a Nightwing, Robin and a decent paint app of GL and I will help out the failing company. lol.

And actually I think Nonameshmo is pointing out a interesting theory, in this strange economic time what are the chances that a company that mainly produces toys and games would go under? Especially one that has paid out quite a bit of money for master toy licenses for properties like Dark Knight, DCU, and Masters of the Universe.

And while we all kind of figure that Mattel is safe think about a smaller company like Mezco or NECA, especially NECA, who holds the master license for the movie version of Twilight. Everyone says that the movie will do gangbusters but lets say the movie tanks and no one wants the figures if they paid out a bundle and have tons of unpurchased merch laying around that could drive them out of business and so what would happen to the company? Would they get a bailout or could they file chapter 11 or how would that go? Speaking of which does anyone know what became of a toy company known as Resaurus? They made Sonic the Hedgehog figures and Speed Racer figures but went out of business.