Here' A Question: Who ever said Capt. Pike was the Enterprise Capt. in the new movie?

Capt.S.G.Wiseman

There has been alot of speculation that we will see a part of the movie that has Captain Christopher Pike as Captain of the Enterprise. We know he's going to be in the movie, but what if he was the USS Kelvin's Captain instead? We know that the Kelvin fights the Romulans before Kirk is born in the movie, and since it is a important plot device, why not have Pike be in charge then instead of over-shadowing Kirk?

I just thinking out loud, but I have yet to see anything that contradicts my theory.

um no

April is in the Star Trek encyclopedis as the first captain of the Enterprise

I never knew he was in the animated series

Aw, I wish I had some of those old Star Trek books. Anyway, (now that I looked through my DVD's) Commodore Robert April was voiced by James Doohan in the last Animated show called The Counter-Clock Incident. The Enterprise enters a reverse-universe where time is backwards. April eventually has to take command because the rest of the crew(except Spock) are all kids.

April eventually has to take command because the rest of the crew(except Spock) are all kids.

Well, the crew all sorta looks like kids now too..............

@loll@ Come, come Mr. Scott. Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant.

I'm trying, but every time I see the pics of the cast now, especially Pine as Kirk..........I keep hearing the theme song from Beverly Hills 90210 in my head...........loudly..........

Frankly, it makes me gag.

April eventually has to take command because the rest of the crew(except Spock) are all kids.

Well, the crew all sorta looks like kids now too..............

@loll@ Come, come Mr. Scott. Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant.

I'm trying, but every time I see the pics of the cast now, especially Pine as Kirk..........I keep hearing the theme song from Beverly Hills 90210 in my head...........loudly..........

Frankly, it makes me gag.

Well thank God I never watched that show! @lol@

possible spoilers

From what I read. Kirks Dad is the Commander of the Kelvin for a very brief stint of a few Min.

I'm not. This film looks to be the very essence of Star Trek. To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.

Is it not time for Star Trek to not only meet today's standards of action Sci-fi and film making, but to surpass them? :)

Oh I Agree with you on your statement. I just wished they would have moved forward instead of going back in time. I would rather much rather see what happens after nemesis. I am more less moving forward with new ideas and finding new discoveries. I think Star Trek can do that.

I mean look at Atlantis. Wow Great show!

No disrespect to Gene Roddenbury but his idea of the federation and they way it is went the way of the dinosaurs and we need something new and fresh

How so?

The Federation is still a viable idea, if not in terms of the Star Trek story, but in terms of a political concept.

Conflict is interesting, but conflict is NOT at the core of what Star Trek is.......exploration and discover are.

Conflict is just a vehicle to arrive at those things.

There was a mini-screening for the press the other day in Ny, I think this movie will be decent if you can except the movie as essentially a re-launch of the franchise. For those looking for something that fits into established lore completly I think will be a little disapointed. These aren't your fathers Original crew but I see potential in still being good.

No disrespect to Gene Roddenbury but his idea of the federation and they way it is went the way of the dinosaurs and we need something new and fresh

How so?

The Federation is still a viable idea, if not in terms of the Star Trek story, but in terms of a political concept.

Conflict is interesting, but conflict is NOT at the core of what Star Trek is.......exploration and discover are.

Conflict is just a vehicle to arrive at those things.

Sorry I didfn't mean it like that The Federation is still the best idea

It's Federation diplomacy that we seen in next gen and on that bothered me

Plus to please an audience you need like what we seen in The Search for Spock...defiance...ometime that needs to be used but not all the time

There was a mini-screening for the press the other day in Ny, I think this movie will be decent if you can except the movie as essentially a re-launch of the franchise. For those looking for something that fits into established lore completly I think will be a little disapointed. These aren't your fathers Original crew but I see potential in still being good.

I'm a fan of the new BSG so I can take new things

Star Trek needed a swift kick in the but and I think we got it

I think I've found the answer to my question, "Who ever said Capt. Pike was the Enterprise Capt. in the new movie?, What if he's the Capt. of the Kelvin?"

After watching the trailer in HD about 20 times, there is a shot with Captain Pike (Bruce Greenwood) as Captain of the Enterprise with Kirk standing behind him. I guess Kirk is the first officer. My question probably should have read "Who ever said Kirk would be Captain?" @lol@

Funny is the the Origional Trek Kirk never served on board the Enterprise under Pike

Kirk took it over after Pike was moved to captian a freighter

I wonder why the demotion from a starship to a freighter?

Well, now that we have established that continuity is LOOSE at best, we can assume that the writers want this story line to date back as early as possible. Kirk WILL take over before the movie ends, if not before. IMO I think that is where the argument between Kirk and Spock actually happens.

Let me add my two cents... possible spoilers below (but only based on my guesses from watching the trailer).

In the original series, Pike didn't get transfered to be the captain of a freighter. He was promoted to "Fleet Captain", and while none of us is quite sure what that means, my guess is it is more of an administrative position that is above the regular captaincy of a ship, but not quite at the level of the admiralty.

As fleet captain he was aboard an old J-Type freighter that was being used as a training vessel, and that's when the accident happened.

So, what does this mean for the way things are handled in the new movie?

In "The Menagerie" Kirk mentioned that he only met Pike once, briefly before he was promoted to Fleet Captain. If the writers are smart, this entire movie could be considered that one meeting. From what I gather, Kirk is not supposed to be on the Enterprise but finds a way there anyway, so years later if someone asked about his relationship to Pike, he would just pass the whole adventure off as a brief meeting. That sounds like the James T. Kirk I know.

And even if the writers decide to throw that one line of dialog out the window and establish a larger relationship between Pike and Kirk, I won't be too upset. It looks like Spock is serving as Pike's first officer at the point we find them in the movie, and that Kirk is on board the Enterprise without an official assignment.

We have to remember that 1) the movie will jump around to a few different points in time, and 2) the order of scenes in the trailer is not necessarily the order in which they appear in the movie.

Let me add my two cents... possible spoilers below (but only based on my guesses from watching the trailer).

In the original series, Pike didn't get transfered to be the captain of a freighter. He was promoted to "Fleet Captain", and while none of us is quite sure what that means, my guess is it is more of an administrative position that is above the regular captaincy of a ship, but not quite at the level of the admiralty.

As fleet captain he was aboard an old J-Type freighter that was being used as a training vessel, and that's when the accident happened.

I had forgotten that

Its been a very long time since I seen Menegerie