The New Enterprise Revealed

Jochimus

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of looks like the origional movie Enterprise with a 1960's touch with the way the nacelles look

This is the article the picturte is from

JJ Abrams wasn't a huge fan of the original Star Trek TV series as a kid, but he does have one unabashed gee-whiz Star Trek memory: watching the first feature film (1979's Star Trek: The Motion Picture) and marveling over the big reveal of the Enterprise during a long sequence in which James T. Kirk takes a slow-boat tour around the iconic starship. "The coolest thing about it—maybe the coolest thing in the movie—was when you flew around the ship, you could see all the different panels that made up the ship," says the director of the forthcoming Trek reboot, slated for a May 8, 2009 release. "It was the first time I had ever seen that level of attention, that love of detail, given to the tangible, practical reality of the ship."

Here, in this exclusive first look at Abrams' take on the Enterprise, you not only see his vision of the ship, but his attempt to evoke that sequence from the first film that so captured his imagination. If you're thinking, "Wow! It looks the way the Enterprise has always looked"—well look at the big Spock brain on you! Abrams wanted to take the original TV series Enterprise and the movie franchise Enterprise and fuse them together into a new yet familiar Enterprise. His ambition was a ship that felt very realistic, that could "stand up" to today's f/x standards—and beyond. "If you're going to do Star Trek there are many things you cannot change. The Enterprise is a visual touchstone for so many people. So if you're going to do the Enterprise, it better look like the Enterprise, because otherwise, what are you doing?"

Fans and other interested parties will get more looks at the new Enterprise when the first trailer arrives this Friday, attached to Quantum of Solace.

^ I think it is based on the previous continuity, but not restricted by it.

What amazes me are how many fans are crying "RAPE" over the ships design on that Entertainment Weekly page. It's not THAT different from the original. It's one thing to say "I don't like it" or "Na, I could have done better", but to go as far as screaming that Gene Roddenberry is turning over in his grave or that JJ Abrams should have his first born murdered so he "knows what it feel like" is ridiculous. I thought I was picky over design.

^ I think it is based on the previous continuity, but not restricted by it.

What amazes me are how many fans are crying "RAPE" over the ships design on that Entertainment Weekly page. It's not THAT different from the original. It's one thing to say "I don't like it" or "Na, I could have done better", but to go as far as screaming that Gene Roddenberry is turning over in his grave or that JJ Abrams should have his first born murdered so he "knows what it feel like" is ridiculous. I thought I was picky over design.

That's fandom for you.

Honestly, I've read enough immature vitriolic from the idiots today that I want to distance myself from them for a good long time.

They decry the new material as "raping their childhood" or some such..........but they never say the same thing about some the fan-produced stuff.

Despite the claim that Star Trek fans tend to be intelligent, more than a few seem to be too dull-witted to realize that they can IGNORE this new stuff.

Its just a new version of the old material.........its not going to remove the old material from existence. Fans can still enjoy the old stuff.

If what they really want is more of the "old stuff"........well.........the past doesn't equal the future. Change happens.

This is the change.

Well I for one was completely unalble to enjoy Batman Begins or Dark Knight because I couldn't get over the fact that they CHANGED the bat costume from the blue cowl and grey spandex that Adam West used to wear. How dare they crap all over my childhood like that!!!!!!

Kidding.

The ship looks just fine. It's Enterprise. The few tweaks to the detail will be the last thing people are talking about when the movie actually comes out. Heck, it'll be the last thing talked about when the trailer comes out this friday.

Lol, you've seen the comments from GI Joe fans about the new movie, and Transformers Fans about last years movie, and even the sequal, and yet you are still amazed by the Vitriol coming from one of the biggest Fandoms of them all?

Nothing suprises me anymore. personally I think it looks great, and yeah, it has Classic car look to it. things change, as long as the story itself is a good story, I am fine with it

That's fandom for you.

Honestly, I've read enough immature vitriolic from the idiots today that I want to distance myself from them for a good long time.

They decry the new material as "raping their childhood" or some such..........but they never say the same thing about some the fan-produced stuff.

Despite the claim that Star Trek fans tend to be intelligent, more than a few seem to be too dull-witted to realize that they can IGNORE this new stuff.

Its just a new version of the old material.........its not going to remove the old material from existence. Fans can still enjoy the old stuff.

If what they really want is more of the "old stuff"........well.........the past doesn't equal the future. Change happens.

This is the change.

as usual, I agree with him, couldnt have said it better myself.

no matter how much something from the past is "reimagined" it is still the same thing. and if you dont like the new version, the old is still around, its not going anywhere, watch it instead

The arguments on that EW blog are becoming more balanced between the haters and the enthusiast. One of my favorite comments was "At least he didn't put flames on it and give it a mouth (damn Michael Bay)". @loll@

Someone actually photo shopped the pick more to their liking. Here's their version.

ENTERPRISE-new.jpg

And here's the official one.

enterprise579_l.jpg

The photoshopped one has more of the classic feel to it, but it looks like it would be as maneuverable as an aircraft carrier. The official one looks like a faster model.

I think it looks OK, but what keeps bothering me is the forward extension off of the secondary hull. The elongated area near the deflector dish. In looking at the ship, it keeps bothering me. Not alot but a little. I'm still psyched and my childhood has not been raped, but to me it looks weird.

The rest of the ship looks cool. I like the detail and the ballzy nacelles.

I'll reserve full judgement until I see all the differant views of it, and by then it'll have grown on me.

I'm one fan of the origional who thinks it was time for a reboot

Times and society have changed we need more kick some ass and less talk

Of course that was the way Gene liked it but the fans nowadays want action

Not only fans, but people who passively enjoyed Star Trek want more action. I can list off at least 5 or 6 girlfriends that I've had in the past (yes, I dragged them to go see it) that would have like the picture better if it had more action. I couldn't help but to agree.

The arguments on that EW blog are becoming more balanced between the haters and the enthusiast. One of my favorite comments was "At least he didn't put flames on it and give it a mouth (damn Michael Bay)". guitar.gif

I find myself gravitating toward the photoshopped version--simply because the fantail area of the official design is the biggest problem I have with that design.

I like how the support neck as been brought forward and the overall length and shape of the secondary hull looks on the photoshopped version.

The official design places an awful lot of mass ( the warp nacelles and struts) connected to a awfully small part of the aft structure--something that makes little sense.

One the big things is the nagging "similarity" of the design theming to the NSEA Protector from Galaxy Quest.......a movie that sent up Star Trek, and because of that this new Trek movie could EASILY be seen in as hokey a light as the GQ parody.

I love it. I totally get how they combined classic and more recent designs into one ship. It's great. I like the tapered look in the rear. It kinda reminds me of the Next Generation Enterprise.

Guys, I'm as big a fan as anyone here, from way back, and I love to see classic Trek re-imagined like this. As long as the core idea is the same, it's terribly exciting to me. I just want to be entertained. If I see that same ol' thing over and over and over again, it becomes boring. That's just the way I see it...

And one of the litmus tests for me was impressing my mother. She watched the original show and loved it as a teenager, and it was probably her fault that I grew up such a big fan. I've been telling her about the new actors and all of the changes, and she's been resisting it like the plague. She was refusing to go see the new film with me...until I showed her the cover over Entertainment Weekly with the new Spock and Kirk, and she immediately changed her mind. I think now I've gotten her excited as much as I am.

I just like it when things are not predictable. And I just like seeing different takes on familiar things. It's interesting, pure and simple. And if I don't like it, I like what others have said; I'll just go back and enjoy the original material. No biggie.