Upcoming Comic Packs Might Not Suck!

gojira77

It was already revealed in a Q&A that next year's pack-in comics will be done by IDW, but one of their in-house guys just put up some of his work. Turns out that the CC vs. Scarlett will have an Arctic Theme! Awesome-- what could have been a couple of useless repaints will actually be a loving gift to both cartoon and comics fans! CC was wearing pretty much that jacket when he betrayed Serpentor and lead the Cobras to "sssanctuary"! And now all we need is an Arctic Stalker and Breaker as well as a Quinn to out-smart them!

attachment1.jpg

attachment.jpg

Oh, and Duke fights a shark... poor shark! Duke's ride looks a bit like General Hawk's personal jetpack from the '90s...

attachment2.jpg

Compliments of the Site-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named!

It was already revealed in a Q&A that next year's pack-in comics will be done by IDW, but one of their in-house guys just put up some of his work. Turns out that the CC vs. Scarlett will have an Arctic Theme! Awesome-- what could have been a couple of useless repaints will actually be a loving gift to both cartoon and comics fans! CC was wearing pretty much that jacket when he betrayed Serpentor and lead the Cobras to "sssanctuary"! And now all we need is an Arctic Stalker and Breaker as well as a Quinn to out-smart them!

Those look great. The Duke scuba pack also sort of resembles Wet-Suit's aqua-sled.

Good find Goj.

Those look great. The Duke scuba pack also sort of resembles Wet-Suit's aqua-sled.

Good find Goj.

Thanks! I hoped it might also have something to do with Wetsuit-- the Joes really need that other SEAL!

Just so proper credit is being given for these, here is the orgin of these images

http://www.diegojourdan.net/?pid=comics

Thaks for the link, JayC!

A couple of pics from the Tunnel Rat & Stormshadow pack (other than being Asian and parts of Hama's psyche, I'm not really sure why they're packed together either...):

com17.jpg

com18.jpg

No real clues to how Tunnel Rat will look other than he'lll be strongly based on his RAH figure. "Training Stormshadow" seems to be working the samurai angle! You can't really judge a comic book company by the pack-in comics they also produce for a toyline that's meant to be accessible to 5 year olds. Jourdan is clearly a very competent artist who can tell a story with plenty of drama and visual detail. The figures are stylisticly different, but they conveal the appropriate emotion and don't look static. Quality wasn't consistent with the whole run of the old Marvel series, but even the bad art could relate to the good because they were drawing from the same artistic influence, namely Joe Kubert, Neal Adams, and especially the great War comics of yesteryear. New artists seem more likely to draw from manga. without neccessarily catching what made manga good!

I think his art stinks pretty much... the Joes all look WAY off

Have to agree, pretty amateurish. Come to think of it, I've never been a fan of any of the art in any IDW books. I suppose Transformers has been the best, but their artists seem to have a real problem depicting people, especially when a standard has been set for how particular characters should look.

Whatever, I'm just looking forward to the Night Creeper pack...as long as they don't just cheap out and use Zartan as a base for them, but I probably just jinxed it.

Nobody is going to be drawn the same for over 20 years-- look at how many differenty ways Batman's been drawn since Neal Adams got his look perfect!

From the face shape and cheekbones, it would appear that Jourdan is also a big fan of John Romitta, Jr., one of the best "action" artists in the business. Nothing wrong with that! :) It isn't easy getting a gig where you can just draw for a living, and any professional artist deserves some respect at least for all the hard work that got them there. Keep in mind also the the same artist can look completely different depending on the inker used-- which is why well-established guys always pick their inker and work as a team. But if you think you can do better...

Just so proper credit is being given for these, here is the orgin of these images

http://www.diegojourdan.net/?pid=comics

Thaks for the link, JayC!

A couple of pics from the Tunnel Rat & Stormshadow pack (other than being Asian and parts of Hama's psyche, I'm not really sure why they're packed together either...):

com17.jpg

com18.jpg

No real clues to how Tunnel Rat will look other than he'lll be strongly based on his RAH figure. "Training Stormshadow" seems to be working the samurai angle! You can't really judge a comic book company by the pack-in comics they also produce for a toyline that's meant to be accessible to 5 year olds. Jourdan is clearly a very competent artist who can tell a story with plenty of drama and visual detail. The figures are stylisticly different, but they conveal the appropriate emotion and don't look static. Quality wasn't consistent with the whole run of the old Marvel series, but even the bad art could relate to the good because they were drawing from the same artistic influence, namely Joe Kubert, Neal Adams, and especially the great War comics of yesteryear. New artists seem more likely to draw from manga. without neccessarily catching what made manga good!

It's a shame that the Samurai motif is Storm Shadow. It would have been a great opportunity to make Budo since he was the "samurai" ninja for the Joes. Especially since Budo would have been a waste of a figure on a single card.

Nobody is going to be drawn the same for over 20 years-- look at how many differenty ways Batman's been drawn since Neal Adams got his look perfect!

From the face shape and cheekbones, it would appear that Jourdan is also a big fan of John Romitta, Jr., one of the best "action" artists in the business. Nothing wrong with that! :) It isn't easy getting a gig where you can just draw for a living, and any professional artist deserves some respect at least for all the hard work that got them there. Keep in mind also the the same artist can look completely different depending on the inker used-- which is why well-established guys always pick their inker and work as a team. But if you think you can do better...

Eeeeh, I see what you're getting at but to compare this to Romitta's art is almost an insult. JRJ is one of my favorite artists by far, this doesn't even come close.

Now, what I meant by not even preserving the look of the character is this; because Shipwreck has a beard doesn't mean someone can just draw any old guy in a turtleneck with a beard and say its Shipwreck. From Marvel to Image to Devils Due, when you saw Duke you knew it was Duke even despite minor differences between artists. From Adams to Sale to Lee, Batman is Batman because they always maintain certain aspects of his physical characteristics.

This guy's art looks like he drew some random people, stuffed them in some uniforms that loosely resemble what [insert character here] wears and called it a day.

Eeeeh, I see what you're getting at but to compare this to Romitta's art is almost an insult. JRJ is one of my favorite artists by far, this doesn't even come close.

Now, what I meant by not even preserving the look of the character is this; because Shipwreck has a beard doesn't mean someone can just draw any old guy in a turtleneck with a beard and say its Shipwreck. From Marvel to Image to Devils Due, when you saw Duke you knew it was Duke even despite minor differences between artists. From Adams to Sale to Lee, Batman is Batman because they always maintain certain aspects of his physical characteristics.

This guy's art looks like he drew some random people, stuffed them in some uniforms that loosely resemble what [insert character here] wears and called it a day.

No, really I'm just sticking up a fellow artist-- most people can't draw anything and yet they're quick to criticize others. @hmmm@ I'm impressed that you know your stuff, though-- and educated opinion is a very rare thing thses days. I'd like to just point out, though, that while you can always tell who Batman is, the Bruce Waynes of those particular artists (all master pencilers IMO) look nothing like each other! I remember reading Long Halloween for the first time and thinking "This is Wayne?! WTF" It's always harder to make non-costumed characters look distinctive and it usually takes the skill of a master cartoonist to make 10 to 50 guys in Army pants look different enough to tell them apart.

BTW Romita's one of my favorites, too. Broke my heart when he left Amazing Spider-man, but atleast back then the book was still readable!

From Marvel to Image to Devils Due, when you saw Duke you knew it was Duke even despite minor differences between artists.

Except for the quite-frequent times that he looks like Hawk.

I've been reading through the entire Marvel run recently, and quite honestly, there's a good portion of the time that their uniform IS in fact the only way to tell those two apart. Heck, once Snake Eyes begins wearing his mask less frequently, he goes right into the mix. This carried over to Devil's Due as well- at the end of the first arc when SE proposed to Scarlett, I looked at that huge splash page of his face and my first thought was "Why is he wearing a Duke mask?"

Then there's Flint and Falcon... Scarlett and Cover Girl... The list goes on. When these guys get out of uniform, it usually just confuses matters even more, as they often lose anything that actually made them look distinct. How many of the Joes are nondescript white guys with brown hair? As a special ops unit with secret code-names and all, it actually makes sense... but as a reader, I often find myself going by uniform, or barring that, waiting for someone to say their name.

I get what you're going for here, but I don't think the differences between many of these characters are as clear-cut as you're assuming. I'd say the effort on looks is pretty obviously going into uniforms, not facial features.

No, really I'm just sticking up a fellow artist-- most people can't draw anything and yet they're quick to criticize others. @hmmm@ I'm impressed that you know your stuff, though-- and educated opinion is a very rare thing thses days. I'd like to just point out, though, that while you can always tell who Batman is, the Bruce Waynes of those particular artists (all master pencilers IMO) look nothing like each other! I remember reading Long Halloween for the first time and thinking "This is Wayne?! WTF" It's always harder to make non-costumed characters look distinctive and it usually takes the skill of a master cartoonist to make 10 to 50 guys in Army pants look different enough to tell them apart.

BTW Romita's one of my favorites, too. Broke my heart when he left Amazing Spider-man, but atleast back then the book was still readable!

Oh don't get me wrong, I'll be the first to tell you I can't draw for squat. I look at it like this though; I don't play for the MLB, but I can tell you when a pitcher can't pitch or a hitter can't hit. I don't want to take anything away from the artist though, he's doing what he loves and making it his vision. More power to him. But to me? It doesn't fit the vision we've had for all these years.

Romita's Spider-man is quite possibly my favorite by a long shot and when he jumped over to the Gaiman Eternals series, I almost didn't know what to do with myself. Hmm, I might actually go re-read those now.

The mask Storm Shadow's wearing in that last picture is *totally* based on Dice. Guess we know where repaints might be headed.

I'm a little let down that Shockwave won't have his trademark cap... Maybe in the next 5-pack ;)

Looks like some new body part molds in here. Hasbro's stepping up!

The mask Storm Shadow's wearing in that last picture is *totally* based on Dice. Guess we know where repaints might be headed.

I'm a little let down that Shockwave won't have his trademark cap... Maybe in the next 5-pack ;)

Looks like some new body part molds in here. Hasbro's stepping up!

Check the first pic. Shockwave has his hat.

Shockwave looks great - hat, helmet, gas mask, two holsters. Hope he has his backpack and rifle though. (would have preferred beachhead legs, but hey, still great).

Tunnel Rat - if he comes with his signature pack, he's perfect

Storm Shadow - I see Budo and Dice as future repaints/customs.

Destro - erm, ok...sure

@can@

Well, I can draw, and I'm not quite impressed by these pages. I'll stick up for an artist when they are being unfairly maligned, but when their work stinks or falls short...........it stinks/falls short.

I have my bad drawing days too, ever y artist does, but I think these pages betray some weaknesses.

One of the hallmark traits of a weak artist: minimal/ poorly defined backgrounds--which the pages above show.

One point of contention I have though is that its NOT that hard to make characters look distinct facially. Given that the Joes do appear out of uniform often enough, there's ways of "casting" the likenesses of the characters in such a way that they become easier to draw.

I'll give you an example: if i were drawing the Joes in a comic, I'd probably draw the characters like certain celebrities......just so their look as a "handle" to grab on to--in terms of drawing them consistently. For characters like, say........Lady Jaye or Gung-Ho......I'd reference Amanda Tapping ( Stargate SG-1)or Jesse Ventura ( Predator)....... just because I like them, and I think they have distinctive looks.

Now that does NOT mean I'd draw those personalities specifically.......what it does mean is I'd use elements of their likeness as a starting point for the faces. I give Lady Jaye a bit of Tapping's dewy eyes, and Gung-Ho a bit of Ventura's chin and such.

The actors own quirks in using their faces and expressions would also give me reference for visual touchstones to add to the Joe characters.

Other characters I'd strive for distinct features like noses, hair, jaw-lines etc....so they all look different from one another.

It helps if they have a unique silhouette, or ethnicity.

Characters like Hawk or Duke present a special kind of challenge because they are so similar in look, but its the same challenge as drawing a distinct Steve Rogers alongside a Clint Barton.

Here's a quick example of my own spin:

HawkDuke.jpg

I've treated Hawk as older, a bit more weathered, and Duke as a tiny bit slender, but no less heroic looking.

It can be done, and done with few hassles.......but it depends upon the skills of the artist.