CW Kills Plans For Batman's Sidekick Robin's Show, 'Graysons'

Wheeljack35

I can't say I'm sorry to hear this. If they were looking for another 'Smallville', that was not the way to go. I don't really think they CAN do another 'Smallville' and be successful. They tried 'Birds of Prey', which I loved, even though it went against bat-continuity, and they even tried Aquaman, without the obvious title. Batman (well, 'Bruce Wayne') would be something real boring, as it would have the obvious beginning, then a whole series of training. No, thanks. WW would be the same thing. The best bet they have is to continue with the Green Arrow (Justin Hartley) and the pre-Justice League storyline they have available, and even that would be temporary, leading into (hopefully) a movie featuring a reunion of them and Tom, and the formation of the real JLA, complete with Phil Morris (Martian Manhunter) and maybe a young Batman and Wonder Woman.

Sadly, I do not expect another 'Smallville'-class superhero TV series. Look how well 'Blade' did. Maybe a Teen Titans would do OK, but you'd have to get some bigwig to agree to a bunch of unknowns for a prime-time show, unless you could get some of these tweens to step up and fill the rolls of the Titans. Like Anneliese Van der Pol as Starfire, Miley Cyrus as Wonder Girl, and the like. Which won't happen. Imagine a Jonas brother as Robin. Hmm. Maybe Disney should think about that.

I still think a Bruce Wayne season would be awesome if handled right and they weren't afraid to have Bruce toy with the possibilty of becoming a villain. Wayne could be the biggest Jerk on TV since "House" and he has enough supporting characters around him like Alfred to keep the show dynamic. I bet the show isn't in the works because of that whole "franchise stategy" thing. Oh well...

"Graysons" sounds like bad 70's T.V.

Maybe they can do a Nightwing where a personal tragedy forces Batman to abandon Gotham leaving the city in the hands of the next generation and......wait a minute....I think they tried that!!!

So much for my idea....

I liked the Graysons when it was called Carnivale. Well, if you cut out everything interesting about that and replaced it with red and green tights. Seriously, that's just a bad idea. If they wanted to continue Smallville, take a hint from DC Silver Age Continuity and just introduce the Legion of Super-Heroes and have some of them stranded on Earth or something. That way you can continue the series, have several different powered teenagers and all that trouble and plots, and have the opportunity to break the mold via time-travel. No need to go to Batman: just stick with one of the Superman plots that actually took off. Hell, you could introduce the guy who played Clark in Smallville, part his hair another way, and call him Mon-El for crying out loud.

Or something. I'm just blueskying here. The Legion is a better idea than the Graysons, anyway.

They're actually introducing the Legion this season on Smallville, though I'm not sure which or how many members. Maybe that could be the platform for what you're talking about, Ctuhlhu5k.

I love the Legion and have an extensive collection of their comicbooks but I'm cautious about a T.V. show, especially a live action one.....seems like it could be handled wrong very easily....

You know the thing about Smallville is that its not going to last too much longer. The writing and stories have gotten a little bit better than they were in the last few years but if these writers give a damn about actual story they will have to make Clark fly and wear the costume soon b/c he can't go around Metropolis saving people in his Daily Planet digs. As for the Legion I actually was thinking how dumb it would be to have the JLA in an episode and how it will never be handled right. But the episode pulled it off really well and its actually one of my favorites. I'm not saying go in to the Legion episode with high hopes but hopefully it won't be as bad as it could be lol.

They're actually introducing the Legion this season on Smallville, though I'm not sure which or how many members. Maybe that could be the platform for what you're talking about, Ctuhlhu5k.

I love the Legion and have an extensive collection of their comicbooks but I'm cautious about a T.V. show, especially a live action one.....seems like it could be handled wrong very easily....

True, but there is a lot of leeway where things could be made right. It might turn into another 'Mutant X' situation where the show really doesn't represent anything that happened in the comics. But it would be a better decision to put more obscure (or simply unmarketed) DC characters out there for the public's view and introduce them into a different part of the Superman mythos. Granted, the Legion has been trapped in present-day Earth before, but it shouldn't be that hard to find some solution that has the Legion on present-day Earth and keep somewhat faithful to the comics. At least it's better than assuming that Robin had this action-packed life before his family died and he went to live with Bruce Wayne. At least there's more there to make a show out of.

I just hope they come up with a good reason why they'd be on Earth. Sometimes Smallville tends to get lazy with their explanations.

Haha true. Sometimes they don't flesh stuff out very well.

Hi I'm the Martian Manhunter, you can all me John. I was sent by your father to watch over you, of course we have never met until now and this show has been going on for eight years now but whatever I'm kind of like your bodyguard of course you don't need one and oh yeah, if I get too close to the sun I lose my powers but I somehow have a the ability to becomes a detective in the police force without any real qualifications so at least I can fall back on that. So if you need any real help I prolly won't be there but at the end of the trouble I will show up and give sage advice.