CW Kills Plans For Batman's Sidekick Robin's Show, 'Graysons'

Wheeljack35

http://enewsi.com/news.php?itemid=14189

CW Kills Plans For Batman's Sidekick Robin's Show, 'Graysons'

posted by Outsiders

iety.com is reporting that The CW and Warner Bros. TV have been forced to scrap their plans for "The Graysons." Show, which had been given a put pilot commitment, was set to revolve around Batman sidekick Robin in his pre-Caped Crusader days.

Decision to yank the project came from Warner Bros. Pictures Group prexy Jeff Robinov, who initially gave his blessing but changed his mind in recent days.

"Warner Bros. TV never had 100% clearance," said one exec familiar with the project.

The CW had been counting on "The Graysons" to fill the void left by the likely series end of "Smallville." Like "Smallville," "The Graysons" is a superhero origins story. Show was developed to revolve around the world of Dick "DJ" Grayson before taking on the iconic Robin identity.

Project was to be the latest DC Comics franchise to be mined for the smallscreen by Warner Bros. TV. "Smallville" exec producers Kelly Souders and Brian Peterson were set to write and exec produce, while Wonderland Sound and Vision's McG and Peter Johnson were also aboard to exec produce.

Thank God

You can play with "young Clark" because as a kid, before his superhero days, he was growing up with these paowers and trying to figure out how to use them. In a sense, his story starts BEFORE he became Superman. Because of that, Smallville worked.

Dick's story doesn't begin until his parents die and Batman takes him in. Who cares about the stuff before that?

Plus...they were going to call him "DJ"??? Groan!

I agree im glad its in the crapper. they were in the circus right how many crimes did the family solve iv never herd of any. Maybe who stole the pop corn caper lol. Dont get me wrong im a fan of robbin but for him to carry a whole show i dont think so. There's a reason there called side kicks

Excuse me, but if they need a new teen drama/ superhero origin show why didn't they go with Bruce Freakin' Wayne. A dark, brooding, chick-magnet billionaire trying to find himself through a series of boarding schools, broken teen romances, and awesomly choreographed afterschool fistfights! Why the HELL would they pass that up! The movies don't own the franchise-- that's basically how the comics recount his adolescence. It would be like Smallville with Martial Arts and Jetsetting instead of wussy pretty-boy angst 'cause Bruce doesn't whine-- he gets even! They could even forge a connection between the two shows and make Lex Luther Bruce's old friend from school. Or completely disregard the way Batman Begins handled Raz and have him observing Bruce from the beginning, Norman Osborne style.

he probably would be "DJ" cause lets face it in todays society sayin "Dick" is probably taboo esp. on the CW. the only thing they would really be able to do is start with the family going around with Dick getting in some type of trouble going where he doesn't belong and doing "Robin" activities before being Robin. on the plus side they could have ended the second to the last season with his parents getting killed and then his first year as Robin going through the training the next season, or better yet put him in th next Batman movie have C.B. in the final episode of the show to take "DJ" in and begin to teach him.

LOL you have been a Batman since the 80's :P

Well my "Old Fart" meter didn't kick in until the 90's. @smilepunch@ In the 70's, all I saw were reruns of the 60's Batman show.

lol dude you wrote "I have been a Batman since the 80's" you left out the word "fan" he was laughing b/c none of us could see you putting on the cape and cowl and roaming the rooftops.

I think that CW made the right choice b/c a story about a young circus boy who would be like what, 14 years old, solving crimes. The premise is stupid.

I can't say I'm sorry to hear this. If they were looking for another 'Smallville', that was not the way to go. I don't really think they CAN do another 'Smallville' and be successful. They tried 'Birds of Prey', which I loved, even though it went against bat-continuity, and they even tried Aquaman, without the obvious title. Batman (well, 'Bruce Wayne') would be something real boring, as it would have the obvious beginning, then a whole series of training. No, thanks. WW would be the same thing. The best bet they have is to continue with the Green Arrow (Justin Hartley) and the pre-Justice League storyline they have available, and even that would be temporary, leading into (hopefully) a movie featuring a reunion of them and Tom, and the formation of the real JLA, complete with Phil Morris (Martian Manhunter) and maybe a young Batman and Wonder Woman.

Sadly, I do not expect another 'Smallville'-class superhero TV series. Look how well 'Blade' did. Maybe a Teen Titans would do OK, but you'd have to get some bigwig to agree to a bunch of unknowns for a prime-time show, unless you could get some of these tweens to step up and fill the rolls of the Titans. Like Anneliese Van der Pol as Starfire, Miley Cyrus as Wonder Girl, and the like. Which won't happen. Imagine a Jonas brother as Robin. Hmm. Maybe Disney should think about that.

I can't say I'm sorry to hear this. If they were looking for another 'Smallville', that was not the way to go. I don't really think they CAN do another 'Smallville' and be successful. They tried 'Birds of Prey', which I loved, even though it went against bat-continuity, and they even tried Aquaman, without the obvious title. Batman (well, 'Bruce Wayne') would be something real boring, as it would have the obvious beginning, then a whole series of training. No, thanks. WW would be the same thing. The best bet they have is to continue with the Green Arrow (Justin Hartley) and the pre-Justice League storyline they have available, and even that would be temporary, leading into (hopefully) a movie featuring a reunion of them and Tom, and the formation of the real JLA, complete with Phil Morris (Martian Manhunter) and maybe a young Batman and Wonder Woman.

Sadly, I do not expect another 'Smallville'-class superhero TV series. Look how well 'Blade' did. Maybe a Teen Titans would do OK, but you'd have to get some bigwig to agree to a bunch of unknowns for a prime-time show, unless you could get some of these tweens to step up and fill the rolls of the Titans. Like Anneliese Van der Pol as Starfire, Miley Cyrus as Wonder Girl, and the like. Which won't happen. Imagine a Jonas brother as Robin. Hmm. Maybe Disney should think about that.

The reason blade failed was...

One the actor rapper turned actor( groan)

Two the writeing was piss poor at best

Three it was on spike nuff said

You forgot the fourth and fifth reasons. Wesley Snipes was not acquired, and you can't have that kinda show on TV without making it real gruesome and bloody ('R'-rated). And as for the one about Spike, I have seen plenty a good show and movie on their network, so I would not consider them an issue, except with maybe the whole 'primetime-R-rating' thing. At least they tried.

You know, I had an (albeit, absurd) thought. Remember the Nick Fury with Mr. Baywatch? I think I would enjoy watching his weekly adventures confounding the likes of AIM and HYDRA. I reckon if 'Soldier of Fortune' made it for two (or more) seasons, his show could too. Plus you could throw in the fan fave cameos, like Tony Stark, Cap (the real one, not the Bucky POS!), and such. Without breaking the bank on special effects. If not Hasselhoff, then some other pretty boy with an eye patch.

You forgot the fourth and fifth reasons. Wesley Snipes was not acquired, and you can't have that kinda show on TV without making it real gruesome and bloody ('R'-rated). And as for the one about Spike, I have seen plenty a good show and movie on their network, so I would not consider them an issue, except with maybe the whole 'primetime-R-rating' thing. At least they tried.

I didn't mean spike was bad but its just not like the wb or fox or one of those channels. Thw WB is geared more to tweens and a younger demo thats why the smallville show took of i didnt really like smallville in the beginning beasue it was so drama driven

I agree that snipes just made blade and with out him its just like clear pepsi it kinda tastes the same but not really

Actually,Blade would have been better off on HBO or Showtime rather than Spike. But anyways,I agree with most. This would have been doomed before it starts. A series about family life in the circus? Who in world would have watched that? You need something that would bring in non-fans as well as fans and that ain't it.

I was defending the decision to do a Dick Grayson series, but like some others have said, I can't deny that I'm glad they scrapped the idea. The details just didn't sound too encouraging.

I hope they pick up another superhero drama series similar to Smallville, though. I thought a Green Arrow series with Justin Hartley (who plays the character on Smallville) was always a decent idea, but the CW has passed on it (perhaps twice). They passed on Aquaman, too. It seems like it's Smallville or nothing for them.

he probably would be "DJ" cause lets face it in todays society sayin "Dick" is probably taboo esp. on the CW.

Veronica Mars had a character named Dick for three seasons. Granted, only one season was on the CW, but he was in pretty near every episode.

LOL you have been a Batman since the 80's :P

Well my "Old Fart" meter didn't kick in until the 90's. @smilepunch@ In the 70's, all I saw were reruns of the 60's Batman show.

lol dude you wrote "I have been a Batman since the 80's" you left out the word "fan" he was laughing b/c none of us could see you putting on the cape and cowl and roaming the rooftops.

Aw man. @dunce@ That's what I get for partying too hard and posting at the same time. @lol@ Wake up Capt. @coffee@

Now if I had too much to drink, you might see me roaming the rooftops half dressed with a Batman figure in my hand. Ya, that might make the morning paper.

Has anyone considered the possibility that the series was scrapped because Nolan

may be doing a 3rd Batman film? I mean when the WB were trying to do the JLA film

Nolan didn't want another interpretation of Batman while he was currently involved with the

Batman franchise and if he's willing to do another, he could possibly be against a Robin

series for the time being. Perhaps its just a stretch but it could be a likely scenario.

Has anyone considered the possibility that the series was scrapped because Nolan

may be doing a 3rd Batman film? I mean when the WB were trying to do the JLA film

Nolan didn't want another interpretation of Batman while he was currently involved with the

Batman franchise and if he's willing to do another, he could possibly be against a Robin

series for the time being. Perhaps its just a stretch but it could be a likely scenario.

Here's a quote from the article I read at Kryptonsite.com:

"The studio has opted not to go forward with the development of 'The Graysons' at this time as the concept doesn't fit the current strategy for the Batman franchise," the studio said in a statement. "Warner Bros. Television is currently working on several replacement options for the CW."

I was under the impression that Nolan was dead-set against the idea of Robin in his Bat-universe, so I'm not sure where this would cause a problem.

Here's an idea for CW: instead of trying to make a show about Dick Grayson before anything interesting in his life happened, why not a show about Dick Grayson AFTER he and Batman part ways? As in NIGHTWING? At least then you could still have him be relatively young, you don't have to have Batman or Gotham City involved (except the mandatory mention of them from time to time), you can have cameos by other DC characters who aren't likely to show up in the current slate of films, and you can still resort to the "freak-of-the-week" if you have to (the latter not a recommended idea, of course, but hey, with some creativity they could probably squeeze in appearances by the less realistic Bat-villains like Clayface or Killer Croc). Who knows, it might even last a bit longer than "Birds Of Prey" did.

I was under the impression that Nolan was dead-set against the idea of Robin in his Bat-universe, so I'm not sure where this would cause a problem.

Here's an idea for CW: instead of trying to make a show about Dick Grayson before anything interesting in his life happened, why not a show about Dick Grayson AFTER he and Batman part ways? As in NIGHTWING? At least then you could still have him be relatively young, you don't have to have Batman or Gotham City involved (except the mandatory mention of them from time to time), you can have cameos by other DC characters who aren't likely to show up in the current slate of films, and you can still resort to the "freak-of-the-week" if you have to (the latter not a recommended idea, of course, but hey, with some creativity they could probably squeeze in appearances by the less realistic Bat-villains like Clayface or Killer Croc). Who knows, it might even last a bit longer than "Birds Of Prey" did.

As far as I know Nolan is still against the concept of Robin in his Batman world, but I'm sure that Nolan may not want anything Batman related

outside his franchise until he's done. WB dropping this may very well mean Nolan is involved in the 3rd one. While I do like the idea of a Nightwing

type show on CW, IMO I think that a Nightwing film has some pretty good potential, and it would be easy to link the film to Nolan's Batman, even

having his Batman team up with Nightwing now that would be a good idea.

As far as I know Nolan is still against the concept of Robin in his Batman world, but I'm sure that Nolan may not want anything Batman related

outside his franchise until he's done. WB dropping this may very well mean Nolan is involved in the 3rd one. While I do like the idea of a Nightwing

type show on CW, IMO I think that a Nightwing film has some pretty good potential, and it would be easy to link the film to Nolan's Batman, even

Nolan's distaste for the series might have something to do with it but really where could have the show gone? No Batman, no costume, and he is a young acrobat? The show really had no future, and if it follows any sort of Grayson mythos he would have been in a circus and unlike most CW shows he would not be attending high school. What would Dick investigate? Customers messing with elephants, stopping people from getting mauled by the circus lion, keeping the other circus crew from stealing money or something? The show would suck all the way around.

I agree though that Nightwing would be a pretty good series but CW can't keep Smallville alive much longer so Idk if they would go for the idea of Nightwing. After Smallville finally dies who knows if CW will be into another superhero show. But a decent idea though.

Nolan's distaste for the series might have something to do with it but really where could have the show gone? No Batman, no costume, and he is a young acrobat? The show really had no future, and if it follows any sort of Grayson mythos he would have been in a circus and unlike most CW shows he would not be attending high school. What would Dick investigate? Customers messing with elephants, stopping people from getting mauled by the circus lion, keeping the other circus crew from stealing money or something? The show would suck all the way around.

I agree though that Nightwing would be a pretty good series but CW can't keep Smallville alive much longer so Idk if they would go for the idea of Nightwing. After Smallville finally dies who knows if CW will be into another superhero show. But a decent idea though.

I completely agree. I mean considering Dick is suppose to be 12 years old when Bruce takes him in, I'm wondering how could

they really make it an interesting series. Personally I think its far more possibilities with a character such a Bruce Wayne even

Nightwing. But yeah, a kid in a circus isn't that compelling as you stated what would be the episode of each week Lion maulings and

elephant theft @loll@