Whats ur fav Gi joe comic story?

abazou

For me it was these 2 issues, i can keep reading them over and over again till the end of time. I really liked duke and lt falcon.. they were just awesome. Also that saw viper really killed lots of joes...

The death of Doc, Heavy Metal, Thunder & Crankcase by the SAW Viper

The death of Breaker, Crazylegs & Quick Kick from an exploding Cobra Rage.

joe109.jpg

joe110.jpg

I've actually been working my way through the entire Marvel run. Some good, some bad, some downright awful... but you'll have that in any comic book.

If I had to pick some issues I can't do without, I'd have to go with 41-50. The 'birth' of Cobra Island and its recognition as a sovereign nation (Cobra WINS!), the defection of Wade Collins from Cobra, the deaths of the Soft Master, Candy, and Professor Appel, the attempted cold-blooded murder of Storm Shadow, the creation of Serpentor, the Invasion of Springfield... what DOESN'T happen in these ten issues might be a shorter list!

The Cobra Civil War was awesome. "Cobra Commander's" forces against Serpentor's. The Joes were forced to aid their enemy in battle. Serpentor's awesome demise at the hands, err, arrow of Zartan. And best of all- Destro at the top of the hill sipping tea the entire time :D

I've actually been working my way through the entire Marvel run. Some good, some bad, some downright awful... but you'll have that in any comic book.

If I had to pick some issues I can't do without, I'd have to go with 41-50. The 'birth' of Cobra Island and its recognition as a sovereign nation (Cobra WINS!), the defection of Wade Collins from Cobra, the deaths of the Soft Master, Candy, and Professor Appel, the attempted cold-blooded murder of Storm Shadow, the creation of Serpentor, the Invasion of Springfield... what DOESN'T happen in these ten issues might be a shorter list!

Dude, I was totally thinking the same thing! I was actually thinking around issue 47 where Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow head to Cobra Island after learning that Zartan was the killer responsible for the death of their master and framing Storm Shadow for it. However now that you mention the sequence of events leading up to it, it's all good. Especially when Storm Shadow gets killed. I remember reading a friend's copy as a kid and thinking how heavy that was, essentially a cartoon character getting killed in cold blood, because up until that point I had only seen the cartoon.

Gotta agree with the gents up there 41-50 for me as well!! It was Rod Whighams's top notch artwork and Larry Hama's writing that kept this lil girl enthralled each month!! And the action found within these issues was there!!!

I love where GI JOE tried to get Cobra off the island and when all was thought lost by Cobra, Hawk gives out the orders, all Joes are to return to the Whale!! Seeing that final panel of Cobra Commander, Zartan, and Appel lauging their heads off was awesome and hilarious!!

Issue 48 where Zartan infiltrates the Pit was awesome, just as awesome was Sgt Slaughter's intro! He took on the entire Motor Pool and Zartan, and won!!

I could go on, but the entire run was fantastic!!!

I loved the old issues, like 21 (Silent Interlude of course) and before. I also liked the one where they introduced Duke, Roadblock, the Skyhawk, and the pre-fab fortress. Don't know the number on that one, but It's the only other issue-specific story I can remeber. Plus, Baroness got hot then, too.

There's just so many to choose from! I gotta go with 21 and 26 - 27 for the whole origin of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, 41 - 50 for everything that's been said before, the second Cobra Civil War from DDP (I haven't had a chance to read the first one), Union of the Snake, and World War III. The Marvel issues are the definition of classic, but the DDP stuff...that is where we get to see the Joes as both an army and special forces unit, the way they were meant to be seen!

i liked the civil war issues too, but also when snake eyes goes all kill machine after baroness shots scarlett in the head

I really liked 50-60 when Cobra was trying to work like a buisness selling Terradromes. The Cobra Civil War was fun to. What I didn't like is when they would have to through stuff like Star Brigade and Ninja Force i there just to keep Hasbro happy.

I haven't read everything but, I really enjoyed DDP's 'America's Elite' run. Specifically the World War III arc. I've read it several times, and I think it's excellent.

I still find interesting and exciting issues every now and again. But aside from the 109-110 issues. I was always partial to issue 113 (with much more deaths in that issue) as well as 130-131 with the battle at the Joe HQ, The Pit.

To be honest though, even though a lot of the later issues went downhill, and had a strong Ninja emphasis, I still found them to be enjoyable. But I like the brainwashing stories of 149-151 (especially when Snake Eyes goes from Ninja to commando mode by raiding a certain General's cache of Weapons in issue 150).

Although this is a little off topic, if you have any interest in Transformers reads, you should check out Generation 2 issues 1-12. As I think that was a really good story arc there.

I still find interesting and exciting issues every now and again. But aside from the 109-110 issues. I was always partial to issue 113 (with much more deaths in that issue) as well as 130-131 with the battle at the Joe HQ, The Pit.

To be honest though, even though a lot of the later issues went downhill, and had a strong Ninja emphasis, I still found them to be enjoyable. But I like the brainwashing stories of 149-151 (especially when Snake Eyes goes from Ninja to commando mode by raiding a certain General's cache of Weapons in issue 150).

Although this is a little off topic, if you have any interest in Transformers reads, you should check out Generation 2 issues 1-12. As I think that was a really good story arc there.

gotta check 113 then

I gotta say that #130-131 and the following assault on Cobra Island were my favorite issues of the main comic. I got into the comic late, really towards the end of the run, and really had trouble with the aweful art before Andrew Wildman's stint. Wildman was my favorite Transformers artist and I was glad that he still had work at Hasbro USA.

joe130.jpg

joe131-1.jpg

He had a little of a learning curve to master but I think he was pretty solid by #130, and it was cool to see the Joes with a certain First Shirt in charge holding off the Mark II BATs. I also loved how CC's whole reason for the attack was to film it as some kind of Arms Infomercial for Cobra's customers. That and when he told Firefly-- who got way cool at that point-- to just keep the island.

Really, though, my favorite Joe comic has always been Special Missions. I'd seen Joe go up against the forces of Cobra plenty of times in the cartoon-- this was genuinely something different, and seemed to harken back to the days of the Original 13 with an even better pool of Joe characters to pull from.

I gotta say that #130-131 and the following assault on Cobra Island were my favorite issues of the main comic. I got into the comic late, really towards the end of the run, and really had trouble with the aweful art before Andrew Wildman's stint. Wildman was my favorite Transformers artist and I was glad that he still had work at Hasbro USA.

joe130.jpg

joe131-1.jpg

He had a little of a learning curve to master but I think he was pretty solid by #130, and it was cool to see the Joes with a certain First Shirt in charge holding off the Mark II BATs. I also loved how CC's whole reason for the attack was to film it as some kind of Arms Infomercial for Cobra's customers. That and when he told Firefly-- who got way cool at that point-- to just keep the island.

Really, though, my favorite Joe comic has always been Special Missions. I'd seen Joe go up against the forces of Cobra plenty of times in the cartoon-- this was genuinely something different, and seemed to harken back to the days of the Original 13 with an even better pool of Joe characters to pull from.

hehe ya i read them as well... it was really cool but i hated duke's outfit, i also liked how the joes striked back.. snakeyes unleashed

funny how both our covers had the saw viper hehe

The death of Breaker...

Whoa! Breaker DIED????

Wow! Anyway...

For me, the best moments come early on. I stopped reading right around #29 or 30. Going from memory, my favorite stories are...

1. Clutch, Breaker, and Steeler drive the MOBAT in a parade and use Breaker's bubblegum and a bullhorn to simulate gunfire.

2. The Joes get locked inside the P.I.T.T.

3. Breaker, Stalker, Snake-Eyes and Scarlett meet Kwinn for the first time.

4. Clutch goes home on leave.

5. Hawk and Destro fight hand-to-hand on the back of a HISS tank.

6. General Flagg dies.

7. The Joes team up with the Oktober Guard for the first time.

I have to admit one of my favorite stories is when Battle force 2000 is introduced. It was the first team that had no one already existed. It was all brand new characters and i thought it was cool as a kid. It broke my heart the way they died. I felt they were cheated and only Dodger lived through all of it. Crazy times right there!

I also loved issue number 11. Where snowjob, doc and airborne and all introduced.

Also, those few issues were ripcord, blowtorch, and Spirit teamed up and then blowtorch disappears.

Like a lot of you, the infiltration of Cobra Island by Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow is the highlight for me (issue 46 ). When Storm Shadow told Snakes Eyes they were going after Zartan.. that was a great moment for me.

The 30s were also very memorable, with Fred II, Billy, and Ripcord getting story arcs. The Dreadnoks also got some face time, and it didn't hurt that Rod Whigham started his run on the series.

Earlier, the Kwinn saga in the early teens with Scarface and Dr. Venom was good; the multi-issue story arcs seemed to start here, so the stories of course got more complex and interesting.

Cobra Civil War in the 70s was really cool.. issue 75 has a great cover with the Baroness strapped to the front on a Hiss commandeered by Serpentor. (This arc is where I first started reading Joe off the newsstand. I became hooked and eventually bought all the back issues.)

Finally, preceding the Civil War, the introduction of Fred VII was a really bold move at the time and brought a new dynamic to the Cobra / Joe war.

As I write this, I realize there were -many- good arcs I enjoyed, although once the book became gijoe featuring SNAKE EYES, the quality really went down. (Ninja Firefly, transforming Castle Destro, brainwashing, to name a few)

113 was the first comic book I ever purchased. I was about 12 or so. I read it so many times the paper is as soft as cotton. Such great depth to the characters, I pined for a Coolbreeze figure ever since.

The other story I really liked, though I can't number the issues, was the storyline where Stalker, Snow Job, and I think Outback were taken prisoner in eastern Europe. Snake Eyes had to befriend a circus clown I think to infiltrate the area to rescue them. Good stuff.

As I write this, I realize there were -many- good arcs I enjoyed, although once the book became gijoe featuring SNAKE EYES, the quality really went down. (Ninja Firefly, transforming Castle Destro, brainwashing, to name a few)

Technically speaking, it was only issues 135-145 that were 'GI Joe Starring SNAKE EYES', and all the stuff you mention takes place prior to that. I'll admit that he gets more than his fair share of covers and stories regardless of whether his name replaces the title... but that can be said about the entirety of the Marvel run. The man-crush that Hama has for Snake Eyes is pretty sizable.