Did I imagine this?

Magic 8 Ball

Back when I was a tyke, I recall looking at some cheap-end Joes... Corps!-style things, although I'm almost certain they weren't Corps!.

Anyway, I have a vivid memory of looking at a figure that 'transformed' into a Werewolf. IIRC, the head had a human face on one side, and the wolf face on the other. There was a baseball cap on top that his hair was attached to that hid the face in the back. By lifting the cap and spinning the head around, you turned the figure from man to beast.

I remember at the time (I think this would have been roughly 1990 or earlier) that this was a really cool idea, although today thinking about a werewolf in a ballcap makes me feel sad inside...

Point is, does anyone know what I'm thinking of here? Did I imagine it? Am I confusing it with some other toyline that wasn't even the same style?

I've spent ages trying just to find a picture of this thing, so any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: If it helps, I'm pretty sure that the rest of the figure was pretty plain. I remember thinking that his outfit was basically just a shirt and pants with very little molded or painted detail. I WANT to say that he had orange pants and a green shirt, but that could also be me confusing it with several Joes who have that color scheme, like Windmill and Hot Seat... then again, those guys weren't carded... hmm...

There were 'transforming' monster figures in the Real Ghostbusters line, but no werewolf among them.

There were also 'normal' monster figures in the RGB line, and there was a werewolf among them.

While I won't deny that it's a possibility that my childhood memories somehow fused the two, none of the figures in the RGB line really look like what I'm describing, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have mistaken anything in that line for a GI Joe-type figure. It's more likely that I would have 'remembered' a transforming werewolf in the Ghostbusters line.

Still, I guess it's a possibility.

Sounds kinda like Animorphs, a line of toys based on a popular kid's book series at the time, but I'm not terribly familiar with them and therefore can't be sure. I think Animorphs came along in the mid-Nineties though. It could very well be from the Ghostbusters line.

BTW, was Animorphs a sub-line of Transformers? It seems like it was advertised as such...

Warwolf came out WELL after this, and I'm pretty sure I didn't see this at a KB.

Also... Warwolf doesn't much resemble a wolf, were- or otherwise.

I'm leaning ever closer to 'fever dream' on this one... Ah well, some of the best childhood memories are the ones we made up. :)

I'M NOT CRAZY!

Well, at least not because of this... @hmmm@

I'd like to find a carded example of that guy though... I could have sworn there was a hat or something that tried to hide the 'back face'.

uh.. so what is that ???

I never saw that figure before, what toyline is it from

Apparently it's one of the Remco Joe-wannabe lines. American Defense, I believe.

And from what I've gathered, some of them are rarer than most Joes, owing to cheap materials and packaging, poor distribution, scant information, and multiple variations. THEN you take into account how many got trashed in kid's backyards... during my search, I saw more than one person commenting on spending in the triple digits for some of the loose, incomplete, non-mint Remco figures!

Can't say I want to put nearly that amount of effort and time into any of them myself... but there are some pretty neat-looking ones that might be fun to customize out of Joes.

If you poke around that site, you can find pics of a majority of the Remco stuff. Some good, some bad, some just... there. I'm particularly enamored of Tiger Claw, Hidden Force, and some of the cool concept/terribly named cyborgs and robots.