Where do you strike gold?

ChrisFields

Hey all, I'm new here, but I'm old hand with toy hunts and all that. I'm just wondering where everyone gets the best hits. For me its a few different places.

Wal-Mart: Around here in Orlando and where I work in Ocoee, I can find almost any single carded figures. As long as they are from Waves 1 - 8. Beyond those, its a crap shoot. You might find the new single packs, but you're better off looking for anyone you missed.

Target: The treasure trove! For some strange reason, Target gets in all the new stuff. For those of you in the Orlando area, the Target near Fashion Square Mall off Colonial Drive, they've rarely been disappointing.

Toys'R'Us: Skip it. In Florida, TRU is only used as dumping site. They've only got vehicles and multipacks, but nothing new.

Please share where you strike gold!

I have no gold mines..............zero....none.

That is because I do not rely on brick & mortar toy hunts, it just seems pointless when other people are doing just that.

Instead, I choose to use a network of sorts.......friends, associates, contacts, retailers etc all over North America--so if I REALLY want something........its usually available somewhere and can be acquired with relative easy.

Secret stashes and "gold mines" seldom stay secret or golden when you have other people in your AO hunting for the same stuff.

Besides........I stopped reporting specific locations a while ago, because scalpers read these forums just as much as collectors do--and revealing where stuff can be found simply gives a scalper ( rather than a fellow collector) the heads up on the stuff.

What's up ChrisFields, welcome to that boards! I live in upstate NY and have a good amount of Targets, Wal Marts, and a couple of TRU's to check and have varying luck all over. All the stores are pretty well stocked right now, and I don't there's much I couldn't find if I didn't take a full day driving all over.

That's cool you live in Orlando, I used to live in Sarasota until four years ago. Again, there was a bunch of Wal-Marts, Targets, two TRU's, K-Marts, K-B's, you name it. I never really had a problem finding anything down there.

I have no gold mines..............zero....none.

That is because I do not rely on brick & mortar toy hunts, it just seems pointless when other people are doing just that.

Instead, I choose to use a network of sorts.......friends, associates, contacts, retailers etc all over North America--so if I REALLY want something........its usually available somewhere and can be acquired with relative easy.

Secret stashes and "gold mines" seldom stay secret or golden when you have other people in your AO hunting for the same stuff.

Besides........I stopped reporting specific locations a while ago, because scalpers read these forums just as much as collectors do--and revealing where stuff can be found simply gives a scalper ( rather than a fellow collector) the heads up on the stuff.

I never really thought of that. I'm an avid collector and scalpers bug me just as much as the next guy. I was just curious as to where people had more luck with their searches.

What's up ChrisFields, welcome to that boards! I live in upstate NY and have a good amount of Targets, Wal Marts, and a couple of TRU's to check and have varying luck all over. All the stores are pretty well stocked right now, and I don't there's much I couldn't find if I didn't take a full day driving all over.

That's cool you live in Orlando, I used to live in Sarasota until four years ago. Again, there was a bunch of Wal-Marts, Targets, two TRU's, K-Marts, K-B's, you name it. I never really had a problem finding anything down there.

Thanks for the welcome! Sarasota's pretty good for finding stuff, but I don't really get a chance to go out much due to work and school.

Hey all, I'm new here, but I'm old hand with toy hunts and all that. I'm just wondering where everyone gets the best hits. For me its a few different places.

Wal-Mart: Around here in Orlando and where I work in Ocoee, I can find almost any single carded figures. As long as they are from Waves 1 - 8. Beyond those, its a crap shoot. You might find the new single packs, but you're better off looking for anyone you missed.

Target: The treasure trove! For some strange reason, Target gets in all the new stuff. For those of you in the Orlando area, the Target near Fashion Square Mall off Colonial Drive, they've rarely been disappointing.

Toys'R'Us: Skip it. In Florida, TRU is only used as dumping site. They've only got vehicles and multipacks, but nothing new.

Please share where you strike gold!

One of two reasons why your Target has noting:

Number 1 ...Employees are collectors

Number 2....The Dept mgr who isn't a collector see's no need to to move out anything that is in the back because the shelves are filled with older merchandise that are pegwarmers bringing me back to what I said on the pegwarmer thread :P

For me it's all about a chain of grocery stores called Fred Meyer. They developed One-Stop-Shopping long before the era of "Super 'Marts", and since they don't order too many of each thing, the one in my town by the mall moves inventory like a machine! They frequently get new stuff first. They also get cleaned-out pretty fast, so it's good that we buy milk there...

I know it'll sound re-tarded, but I always have the most luck with Toys R' Us. Now, I live in Staten Island, NY where up until two years ago we had two Toys R' Us practically on top of each other (It always struck me as odd they there were two here, I guess SI was big into toys in the 80s) so I could typically find whatever I was after without incident.

Recently we got a Target on the island, but it never has anything good. Oddly enough, in my time at Fort Campbell, KY, their Targets (again, two in roughly close proximity) never have anything either.

And Wal-Mart? Don't even think about it. But whenever I go in, I can't help but leave with something. CONSPIRACY!

Tom

Target always seemed to be the best here...that was when I actually used to go on toy hunts.

For the last year or so, www.bbts.com and www.hasbrotoyshop.com have really been the ONLY place I've been buying new toys. I use bbts to preorder cases of each wave, and hasbrotoyshop to pic up any extras I might want.