Trivia Pursuit Commerical Makes Fun Of Joe Fans

One dones not have to go very fair before they find celebrities and famous people who have fannish traits......just like us.

Jerry Seinfeld is gaga over Superman, Nicolas Cage is reputedly a big comics fan--as is Samuel Jackson.

I've seen/heard of Pro Wrestlers who collect toys..........heard that celebs like Eddie Murphy have GIJOE collections.

So.....if such "cool people" can be into this stuff and still be cool.........why is a humble-looking non-famous person labelled a loser because they share a similar interest?

To add one more to the list...Seth Green, from Austin Powers. I know he has a Mego Collection. Not sure what else he collects, but he's been featured in Toyfare before for his toy-fan status.

This doesn't bother me at all.

Better to be portrayed as a nerd than what the television show "Without A Trace" did to Transformers fans by connecting them to Pedophilia.

Seriously :huh: ? Wow. I wish I'd been in their forum the day after that aired.

Ya, I can't remember the exact wording, but in the episode, they were looking for a pedophile, and they were interrogating a suspect with a Transformers collection, and the questioning went something like, "well we saw your Transformers collection, and that's not something a grown man should have."

The man with the Transformers collection ended up not being the perp in the episode.

Permit me a rant......and suffer another read..........I'll TRY to be brief:

I was at a Walmart in town today, and ended up in the toy aisles. While there, I noticed two young guys........late teens or very early 20's excitedly looking through the Star Wars figures. There were chattering to each other and remarking as they found figures and sets that they had not seen before.

And I smiled.

Not because it was embarrassing to see, not because I thought something demeaning toward these guys........but rather because I could to totally relate to their experience at that moment.

I've faced critics of my collecting that have called me immature........that I pursue a child's activity and its not something a man of my age ( or a man of ANY age) should be pursuing, who claim that there "is something wrong with me" and have cast aspirations on my mental state, my sexuality, my integrity.........you name it.

To them, I have ever said just one thing: Phooey.

Phooey on them and the goat that crapped them out.

Phooey on their rules about life and people, phooey on what they think and feel.

I wonder........instead of looking at two young guys who clearly like their Star Wars stuff and denigrating them with a sneer, isn't it MORE mature to see that they are embracing something they clearly love.

They they are living their young lives fully and more joyfully because they have something they can indulge in? At the very least they give a damn about something.......which is doubtlessly more than many who live in callous indifference?

Oh sure......the ignorant ones out there mock us collectors.

Let them, because they are too blind to realize how the other half lives.

We are too busy having fun at their expense. ;)

Exactly...this is why I collect.

It's one of the few things in life that allows me to escape from the BS in the world today. It reminds me of better, more innocent times, and helps me relax.

I can come home from a stressful day at work, and on the way home, pick up a package from the post office that has the latest wave of 25th anniversary Joes in it, and instead of that day turning out to be a horrible day, it feels more like a Christmas or a birthday.

Truthfully, toys have a magical effect on me. @lol@

Truthfully, toys have a magical effect on me. @lol@

Funny you say that, I received a package in the mail yesterday from a trade with another board member, got me the Target jets, and some ML stuff. I couldn't have been happier!

I'll also be expecting a huge shippment from BBTS sometime next week, so I'll be rushing home everyday in excitment!

I look at it this way, like everything else in life, some toy collectors are "normal" folks and some are raging creeps. It's a matter of perspective. Some of us go a bit overboard; not with just the "completion-itis", but also with customizing, fan-fic, dio-making and complaining, but we still manage to balance the hobby with life and keep it in its place. A little complaining is normal and healthy, but constant whining about how a toy company "screwed" you by not making a toy exactly as you wanted or that a movie producer "raped" your childhood by making movies based on something you enjoy, but not doing it as you would've liked, is more than a little childish and is a sign that the complainer has lost some perspective. When a hobby (any hobby) starts taking away time, income and attention from the more important things in life, and to the detriment of those more important things, that hobbyist has become a full-blown loser. There is (or once was) a guy around the forums-at-large who lives off of his mom (not "with" her, but off of her; he's thirty-something and his mom is still his sole source for food, shelter, clothing etc), has a paper route, is basically a shut in and has a massive collection of toys. That guy is a loser and he has lost in the worst way. A basement full of toys is no substitute for living. No offense, but there are more than a few collectors I'd rather not run into in the toy aisle... or anywhere else. The rest of us can moderate, but there are some sad souls who've lost that perspective and ability to live a healthy life. In the end, all hobbies (and hobbyists) can be the victims of gluttony and gluttony is the surest way to lose perspective and normalcy and to kill a passion.

I read a great quote once on another board...

"Why is someone who still likes his toys and likes to believe good triumphs over evil and sharing makes everyone happy considered childish, but someone who thinks only of themselves, cheats folks at every opportunity and places greed above all considered an adult "living in the real world"? Something seems very wrong with that picture to me..."

Scott Metzger

I went through so much crap over action figures from my peers and even my family. My mom had a raging bi-polar disorder and never missed an opportunity to cut me down over them. I was part of a "secret underground" of action figure lovers through Jr. High (What my Geeky brethren may call "The Gauntlet" or "The Crucible") and High School. We wrote fanfics and staged battles on the weekends. Then I gave ALL my toys away after I went to college in an attempt to move on and improve relations with me family. But by my Senior year I had begun to build a new collection... My wife is fine with it so long as I have other interests, too, and put her and my son first. I'm happly to comply with that. :)

I saw that commercial; it caught my attention when I saw the carded Joes in the guy's bedroom. And I have to admit I found myself getting excited over carded G.I. Joe figures. I totally missed the point they were trying to make, which probably makes me a huge nerd/geek/whatever. (lol) Sheesh, wiith all of this talk about how this stuff reminds you guys of simpler times and how much you enjoy it, it almost makes me want to get back into collecting Joes again...

But I also wanted to point something out to you guys; I think I saw a Hasbro icon in the lower-left side of the screen during the commercial, as if to say Hasbro makes Trivial Pursuit. If this is true, then the commercial is tounge-in-cheek, or it shows what they really think about us over in Pawtucket. (lol)

I saw that commercial; it caught my attention when I saw the carded Joes in the guy's bedroom. And I have to admit I found myself getting excited over carded G.I. Joe figures. I totally missed the point they were trying to make, which probably makes me a huge nerd/geek/whatever. (lol) Sheesh, wiith all of this talk about how this stuff reminds you guys of simpler times and how much you enjoy it, it almost makes me want to get back into collecting Joes again...

But I also wanted to point something out to you guys; I think I saw a Hasbro icon in the lower-left side of the screen during the commercial, as if to say Hasbro makes Trivial Pursuit. If this is true, then the commercial is tounge-in-cheek, or it shows what they really think about us over in Pawtucket. (lol)

"'Articulation sucks'... 'Poor reuse of parts'... 'Needs better likeness'!?! The nerve of those nerds-- we'll fix their wagon! He He He!"

:)