DCUC wave 8

dcuniverse

Wave 8 will include:

Hawkgirl™

Gentleman Ghost™

Dr Fate™ (with a chase classic version)

Parademon™ (both Red and Yellow versions split 50/50!)

Mr. Terrific™

Vigilante

Commander Steel™

And drum roll…the Collect and Connect™ bonus figure, and our biggest yet at a whopping 10 inches is… GIGANTA™

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, that's a 'spew' for sure! I love all the figs - I like the way this line is going! So far, for each wave, I have not had a desire NOT to complete the BAF fig. I know it's bound to happen sooner or later, but WOW!

I know there will be naysayers about the availability of these figs, but so far, I have not missed anything, and I live in CT, the last place to get what everyone else sees months in advance.

However it works out, I am definitely going to get this entire wave, God permitting!

they look awsome

i know some may find this line awsome but to me IMO its another obscur wave of no bodies. Other than hawk girl and dr fate. Im sure there are fans of these figures but come on really. im sure there were more deserving superheroes out there in the dc line that should come befor most of these.

So Mattel finds this line profitable, and Hasbro doesn't find Marvel Legends profitable? Not to mention when any new wave is released for DC Classics, it gets sold out within days.

Yeah, makes no sense to me. Other than the fact Hasbro is a greedy SOB with outrageously high profit margin expectations.

i know some may find this line awsome but to me IMO its another obscur wave of no bodies. Other than hawk girl and dr fate. Im sure there are fans of these figures but come on really. im sure there were more deserving superheroes out there in the dc line that should come befor most of these.

So you would rather Mattel had thrown the "big 7" into the first wave and killed the line, rather than spreading the "name" characters across several waves while simultaneously offering fans their faves?

And FYI, Mr. Terrific and Commander Steel are both from Justice Society of America, which is DCs second highest selling monthly title behind JLA. So what "more deserving" superheroes do you speak of?

Wow, Vigilante, ive been waiting for a figure of him since I was a kid. Now next year i'll have both Him and Rorsach, man o' man. Plus a Gentleman Ghost to go with Hawkman and Hawkgirl, plus after this wave the JSA is looking good. Now lets see some more 80's Teen Titans and Legion Mattel.

I just hope we get Green Arrow next year, then all will be right with this line. It would be tragic for the line to end without Oliver getting made.

err.... I find this wave pretty bleh. Dr.Fate is the only one of those characters I like. Hawkgirl is cool. The Parademons are both wicked though.

as for the others... while they look ok, I have absolutely no desire to own them, even for free... so there is no way I am going to pay 12 bucks for them

So Mattel finds this line profitable, and Hasbro doesn't find Marvel Legends profitable? Not to mention when any new wave is released for DC Classics, it gets sold out within days.

Yeah, makes no sense to me. Other than the fact Hasbro is a greedy SOB with outrageously high profit margin expectations.

So you would rather Mattel had thrown the "big 7" into the first wave and killed the line, rather than spreading the "name" characters across several waves while simultaneously offering fans their faves?

And FYI, Mr. Terrific and Commander Steel are both from Justice Society of America, which is DCs second highest selling monthly title behind JLA. So what "more deserving" superheroes do you speak of?

Blah Blah Blah im not sayin put the big 7 in the first wave. and im not sayin this line is bad. All im sayin is there are more deserving heroes that could have been involved. Like apachie cheif, or wonder twins, cyborg superman sinestro corps, plasticman, wondergirl, mon-el, and so on.

The reason i say there more deserving is because some of them in this line have been made by dc direct so at least they have seen the light of day. It just seems some really great heroes are over looked. NOT saying they wont come out later but you never know. If things keep going the way it has and alot of us cant find them at all whos to say mattel will sell it off to another toy maker or stop them all together for a while. As they are appt to do.

I just want to see some figs that havent been seen or at least seen in a while. I mean we just had a thread not long about about who we would like to see and there were some awsome ideas there. but this wave 8 just seems really not that exciting. Like i said befor im sure some out there are but i bet its few and far between. I know some will defend this line just to defend it cause i or someone dislikes it. Thats the way of the collector.

Iv been doing this long enough to know. If you just love every figure then thats fine. More power to ya. I just dont see some of the choices as good ones there off the wall and could be saved for a much later date in time. I want to see a wave that gets me excited about the whole wave not just a few. like i thought the first 3 waves of DCSH were great. And in turn i got the whole sets. But since its been DCUC i just get my favs partly cause its so hard to hunt down the whole set at retail around here and partly cause im just not excited like i was.

I dont see what would be wrong with lets say apachie cheif, plastic man, wonder twins ( on single card with gleek )

brainiac, power girl with a BAF. Not sure on the Baf BUt wouldnt mind a BAF of apachie chief to have the small 6 inch and the big baf. But hopefully you see what im getting at. At least it would be a whole wave IMO worth getting.

Instead of just figs here and there.OF course if you can find them at all

Blah Blah Blah im not sayin put the big 7 in the first wave. and im not sayin this line is bad. All im sayin is there are more deserving heroes that could have been involved. Like apachie cheif, or wonder twins, cyborg superman sinestro corps, plasticman, wondergirl, mon-el, and so on.

The reason i say there more deserving is because some of them in this line have been made by dc direct so at least they have seen the light of day. It just seems some really great heroes are over looked. NOT saying they wont come out later but you never know. If things keep going the way it has and alot of us cant find them at all whos to say mattel will sell it off to another toy maker or stop them all together for a while. As they are appt to do.

I just want to see some figs that havent been seen or at least seen in a while. I mean we just had a thread not long about about who we would like to see and there were some awsome ideas there. but this wave 8 just seems really not that exciting. Like i said befor im sure some out there are but i bet its few and far between. I know some will defend this line just to defend it cause i or someone dislikes it. Thats the way of the collector.

Iv been doing this long enough to know. If you just love every figure then thats fine. More power to ya. I just dont see some of the choices as good ones there off the wall and could be saved for a much later date in time. I want to see a wave that gets me excited about the whole wave not just a few. like i thought the first 3 waves of DCSH were great. And in turn i got the whole sets. But since its been DCUC i just get my favs partly cause its so hard to hunt down the whole set at retail around here and partly cause im just not excited like i was.

I dont see what would be wrong with lets say apachie cheif, plastic man, wonder twins ( on single card with gleek )

brainiac, power girl with a BAF. Not sure on the Baf BUt wouldnt mind a BAF of apachie chief to have the small 6 inch and the big baf. But hopefully you see what im getting at. At least it would be a whole wave IMO worth getting.

Instead of just figs here and there.OF course if you can find them at all

Apache Chief and Wonder Twins, to my knowledge, aren't a part of the comic-based DC Universe, and both he and the Wonder Twins trademarks are I believe owned by Hanna-Barbara, not DC. (That's why you can see characters that were created specifically for the "Super Friends" TV Show on spoofs like "Harvey Birdman" but not classic DC characters). They might be a "joint" trademark, but either way, I would not expect to see the "Superfriends-only" characters on DCUC cards anytime soon. And thank god for it, because most of those characters are pathetically lame from a pathetically lame show (I loved it when I was a kid, but have any of you tried watching any episodes recently...god it's painful).

Don't get me wrong, as Gentleman Ghost and Commander Steel aren't characters I thought I'd see in this line anytime soon (and Vigilante is a surprise but his design screams "action figure" so it's not all that surprising), especially since that looks to be "classic" Commander Steel and not the current version. Also, I hope that "Classic" Dr. Fate is a mis-print and not the variant, because the one they've labelled "classic" on Mattel's website is actually the more modern version. Still, as noted, when you're dealing with a massive universe like DC, you have to mix up your more obscure characters with your more well-known characters, or else you end up with entire assortments of "obscure" characters and the line dies. Remember, just about every character is somebody's favorite. Sinestro Corps Cyborg Superman would be fun...but he sounds more like a good option for an exclusive or 2-pack than a single-card.

As for profits margins...Mattel probably has different standards, and given how poorly this line is distributed and how low the production numbers seem to be, they don't seem to have all that much faith in the line, anyhow. Barbie and Hot Wheels will always be their bread-and-butter. Plus, maybe Mattel pays much lower licensing fees to produce DCUC than Hasbro does for Marvel. Especially since Marvel has a long string of highly successful movies that boost its' profile, while DC has uh...Batman. Who gets several of his own lines, anyhow.

Apache Chief and Wonder Twins, to my knowledge, aren't a part of the comic-based DC Universe, and both he and the Wonder Twins trademarks are I believe owned by Hanna-Barbara, not DC. (That's why you can see characters that were created specifically for the "Super Friends" TV Show on spoofs like "Harvey Birdman" but not classic DC characters). They might be a "joint" trademark, but either way, I would not expect to see the "Superfriends-only" characters on DCUC cards anytime soon. And thank god for it, because most of those characters are pathetically lame from a pathetically lame show (I loved it when I was a kid, but have any of you tried watching any episodes recently...god it's painful).

Don't get me wrong, as Gentleman Ghost and Commander Steel aren't characters I thought I'd see in this line anytime soon (and Vigilante is a surprise but his design screams "action figure" so it's not all that surprising), especially since that looks to be "classic" Commander Steel and not the current version. Also, I hope that "Classic" Dr. Fate is a mis-print and not the variant, because the one they've labelled "classic" on Mattel's website is actually the more modern version. Still, as noted, when you're dealing with a massive universe like DC, you have to mix up your more obscure characters with your more well-known characters, or else you end up with entire assortments of "obscure" characters and the line dies. Remember, just about every character is somebody's favorite. Sinestro Corps Cyborg Superman would be fun...but he sounds more like a good option for an exclusive or 2-pack than a single-card.

As for profits margins...Mattel probably has different standards, and given how poorly this line is distributed and how low the production numbers seem to be, they don't seem to have all that much faith in the line, anyhow. Barbie and Hot Wheels will always be their bread-and-butter. Plus, maybe Mattel pays much lower licensing fees to produce DCUC than Hasbro does for Marvel. Especially since Marvel has a long string of highly successful movies that boost its' profile, while DC has uh...Batman. Who gets several of his own lines, anyhow.

You maybe right about the hanna barbara trademark. And im not sayin a super friends only line is what i want. They were just examples. But i do want to see wonder twins damnit lol. The point is i just thik there are bigger names that should have been in this new line/wave. Even a classic robin would be nice and im not a huge fan of him. Which we havent seen since the old super dc heroes that came after super powers line.

Who is gentlemen ghost? Never knew of him but honestly most of this line is the frist iv seen. I think your right about dr fate the yellow and blue are classic not the gold.

Only dc is holding dc back in the flim area. Iv always seen dc as the bastard child. and you really have to love dc to understand it. marvel has always been like the jock or super kid if you will. Iam gulity of flowing them for a long time. Or at least more so than dc even though iv collected both over many yrs. Marvel just had more interesting characters to me for a long time. But i started to drift away back in the early to mid 90s when they were doing alot of reuseing the exact same figs and just puting them in new packageing. no new head or anything and i was like this is lame.

So i took another look at dc and they were really comeing into there own. I still get the marvel figs here and there but dc has really came long way. Point being i know theres alot of heroes out there in the dc universe that should have seen the light of day befor some of the ones iv been seeing. But its all good ill pick up hawk girl and classic dr fate that is if i can find them.

The reason Gentleman Ghost is included in this wave (most likely) is because he's a JSA villain (and even more specifically a Hawkman/Hawkwoman villain) and this wave is heavily JSA-themed.

Kind of would have preferred a Mordru or Vandal Savage myself, but Gentleman Ghost's inclusion doesn't seem that far "off" from that angle.

GIGANTA???? OMMFG why don't they make a regular size giganta to go with the set it the figures look great but i will probably only get dr fate and maybe hawkgirl.

Wouldn't a regular-sized Giagnta defeat the idea of a character named 'Giganta'?

So you like the SuperFriends, Green Lantern, Teen Titans, and Legion. That's great, and I have no doubts that Mattel will get around to them (well, probably not SuperFriends...). But this line is meant to encompass more than a handful of DC's comic books, and I don't see why fans of JSA should be denied their love. People who like these characters could likely come up with their own list of characters that are 'more deserving' than your own most wanted list... and again, Mattel will likely get around to all of them.

The reason i say there more deserving is because some of them in this line have been made by dc direct so at least they have seen the light of day. It just seems some really great heroes are over looked.

But a lot of the ones you want have also been made by DCD. And DCUC isn't meant to be an 'add-on' to DCD, but it's own line. What DCD has or hasn't done shouldn't matter. Heck, the entire line would be nothing but Z-listers if that was a consideration.

Even going with the 'already in DCD' angle, it's worth noting that outside of the JLU line, this is the VERY FIRST time that Gentleman Ghost, Vigilante, and Commander Steel have been cast in plastic. Even the people who collect DCD haven't had a chance to get these guys.

If you don't like this wave, just sit back, save your money, and wait for the next one. Maybe you'll like more of that one. I seriously doubt Mattel is going to pull the plug on this line if Commander Steel undersells. :)

I love it when fans reject a line because they've never heard of the characters in that line. I guess Mattel is supposed to check in with them before they make their line-ups.

I agree this is a bold choice. When I read the first post, I was sure this was just some JSA fanboy's wish list. The figures all look great. A personal favorite of mine is Vigilante. He's one of those figures that I never thought would ever get a figure.

Too bad we'll never see these. I'm going to switch hobbies. Instead of collecting figures that never receive a wide release, I've decided to collect print-outs of these fabulous pics.