which figure is storm shadow gi joe?

abazou

Stormshadow as he first appeared as a Joe back in 1988:

stormshadow2.jpg

25th Anniversary remake of the 1988 figure:

stormshadow22.jpg

I consider them all Cobra.... that was a dumb idea making him a Joe

I concur Clam!! Even as a kid I never liked the Joe Storm Shadow!! And while I loved the comics, I hated the path he went down!! The whole reason why he became a Cobra agent!! While Larry Hama was awesome, he really made some bonehead moves by giving a lot of the Cobra agents supposed tragic reasons for becoming a villain!! Why couldn't they just be villains because they wanted too!! And the worst part is that Snake Eyes seemed to be in the middle of it all!! Blech!!! I like Snake Eyes a lot, but not the oversaturation of him and Stormy!! Like in issue 47 where they infiltrate Cobra Island, they were unstoppable!! I hated that, not even a scratch after going through several squadrons of Cobras!! I mean, I love Ninjas, but come on!!!

Anyhow, here is one great instant where the cartoon beat out the comic!! In the cartoon, Storm Shadow was a villain, but he was honorable villain!! For example, in Revenge of Cobra, he did his bidding by going after the piece of the Weather Dominator, but when his life was saved by Spirit, he gave up the piece! But another episode he just goes after Spirit when he tries to insult him for still being a part of Cobra!!

Long story short, Storm Shadow should have remained a villain!!!

While Larry Hama was awesome, he really made some bonehead moves by giving a lot of the Cobra agents supposed tragic reasons for becoming a villain!! Why couldn't they just be villains because they wanted too!!

Probably because villainy for the enjoyment if it is shallow, while tragic villainy is far more interesting.

The reason for using tragedy as a motive for evil is that its easier to grasp why someone turns bad.

Having a character switch sides can actually suggest far greater depth because to pull it off their motives need to be believable from both perspectives.

In Storm Shadow's case, the quote that " he realized that revenge was a poor substitute for life", suggests that he came around to a different way of thinking than he had before.

Personally, I can see the character in both camps at different times, and I accept the changing of sides.

Following the File card you could almost call this "Neutral Stormshadow", though it did have the Joe colors in the bottom corner. :) I think we haven't gotten a full-time Joe SS yet for the 25th/MA line, which would be Ninja Force. I rarely read the comic book as a kid and wasn't that well versed on the Hama-verse, but I always liked Stormy as a good-guy. I like the idea of "redemption" in the otherwise black-and-white world of superheroes, and SS was the ONLY Cobra on the cartoon who wasn't a total a-hole. He actually let Spirit have the WD part in Revenge of Cobra because he thought the tracker was such a swell guy. Other than what was hinted on the cards, I new nothing about the history between SE and Tommy. I just thought Stormshadow could do better than hang out with a bunch of jerks who would sell out their grandmother if the price was right! YO JOE!

While Larry Hama was awesome, he really made some bonehead moves by giving a lot of the Cobra agents supposed tragic reasons for becoming a villain!! Why couldn't they just be villains because they wanted too!!

Probably because villainy for the enjoyment if it is shallow, while tragic villainy is far more interesting.

The reason for using tragedy as a motive for evil is that its easier to grasp why someone turns bad.

Having a character switch sides can actually suggest far greater depth because to pull it off their motives need to be believable from both perspectives.

In Storm Shadow's case, the quote that " he realized that revenge was a poor substitute for life", suggests that he came around to a different way of thinking than he had before.

Personally, I can see the character in both camps at different times, and I accept the changing of sides.

I agree. Evil for the sake of evil is overdone and droll. A good villian needs a good backstory AND motivation. Mr. Freeze, for example (at least the itterations of which I am familiar) was a good villain because he had personal motivation for the acts he did. For him, the ends justified the means.

But you have someone like cartoon Cobra Commander (the comic version at least had some depth) whose only goal and motivation is "world domination".

I think when it boils down to a single question, that question is

Why?

But you have someone like cartoon Cobra Commander (the comic version at least had some depth) whose only goal and motivation is "world domination".

I don't know, when CC wasn't played for laughs, he had his moments, too. I think the whole Cobra La angle gave him a lot of depth and motivation. Disgraced scientist gets a second chance, but if he screws up... Pythona does a house call! :)

Hama's CC can come off like a bafoon sometimes, too, but he had his moments of acting like a real person when dealing with his son Billy.

Technically,Storm Shadow was never a Joe. Sure he's got the file card and everything but as far as I remember he was never made an "official" Joe in the comic.

Actually he was leader of the Gijoe ninja force in the comics

and this was his costume (is that an official hasbro fig or fan made?)

nfss1.jpg

gijoe_ninja_force.jpg

Technically,Storm Shadow was never a Joe. Sure he's got the file card and everything but as far as I remember he was never made an "official" Joe in the comic.

Actually he was leader of the Gijoe ninja force in the comics

and this was his costume (is that an official hasbro fig or fan made?)

nfss1.jpg

gijoe_ninja_force.jpg

That is a fan made custom using the 25th Anniversary V2 SS.

Here's the original, Hasbro-made one:

http://www.yojoe.com/action/92/stormshadow3.shtml

I know that the need to flesh out these characters warrants a deeper meaning for their turn to villany, but sometimes it just isn't needed!! For example, the Baroness, she was just a spoiled rich brat who adopted her evil ways because of basic attitude of superiority. I think that could have been believable. Her brother didn't have to be killed in order for her to eventually join Cobra. And most importantly Snake Eyes didn't have to be a part of it!! Oit!!!

The main reason I didn't like it was that Cobra Commander had to brainwash them to get them back!! Blech!! Keep them villains dammit!!!

I'm with the Clamster - Storm Shadow as a Joe was pointless to me. He basically 'jumped the shark' by forgiving Zartan and switching sides.

Now, if he remained a Cobra because he couldn't get over his desire for revenge and tried to convert Snake Eyes (who, let's face it, is probably just a Joe because of Scarlett ; D ) to Cobra, that might have made him a bit cooler.

Ah well. I'm sure the new comic will retread the same territory by issue 10... >__>

Tom

I'm with the Clamster - Storm Shadow as a Joe was pointless to me. He basically 'jumped the shark' by forgiving Zartan and switching sides.

Now, if he remained a Cobra because he couldn't get over his desire for revenge and tried to convert Snake Eyes (who, let's face it, is probably just a Joe because of Scarlett ; D ) to Cobra, that might have made him a bit cooler.

Ah well. I'm sure the new comic will retread the same territory by issue 10... >__>

Tom

New comic? they're rebooting Gi joe? i stopped when the 1st marvel run ended a couple of years back. So i have no idea whats happening now.

No sweat, Aba - you haven't missed any issues yet - I think the new series is slated to come out this month. There's good news and bad news about the new comic - the good news is that Larry Hama is back in charge... and the the bad news is that Larry Hama is back in charge. ; )

Tom

stormshadow2.jpg

stormshadow22.jpg

Everyone complained about Flint's gloves but nobody ever said a word about the arms on this guy. This is my favorite SS and I wish they'd make a corrected version.

They're fixing the arms for Wave 12-- then painting him teal and calling him the Ninja Viper! Dude, that's just cold...

No sweat, Aba - you haven't missed any issues yet - I think the new series is slated to come out this month. There's good news and bad news about the new comic - the good news is that Larry Hama is back in charge... and the the bad news is that Larry Hama is back in charge. ; )

Tom

hehe y is it bad tho :)

Hama is brilliant if you'd like to read a story about the Army from the 70s. He's got the lingo, field manuals, tactics, and unwritten rules down.

I read one of his most recent non-GI Joe comics: "Spooks" it was SO bad, I thought I had done something awful to him and this was his elaborate scheme to get back at me.

While I acknowledge that Larry Hama more or less IS GI Joe, I don't know how I feel about his work these days. I would prefer him in more of an advisory role at IDW than having true influence over the projects.

But I liked VvV and Sigma Six, so I really don't know what I'm talking about. < : (

Tom

stormshadow2.jpg

stormshadow22.jpg

Everyone complained about Flint's gloves but nobody ever said a word about the arms on this guy. This is my favorite SS and I wish they'd make a corrected version.

Yeah, I spoke up early on when I realized it was just a repainted V1. They need to redo him and SE V2 (which I think they're going to do, after seeing the DVD pack version from Pyramid of Darkness).

The big problem is that the tattoo looks quite off when you compare it with the V1 figure. It shouldn't be there... Plus he needs new accessories.

Tom

hehe y is it bad tho :)

Tom's right, it is good and bad, but fans will give different reasons for why...scratch that, there's a very good reason that all fans agree on. In 1994 Hama changed the title of the G.I. Joe comic to Snake Eyes & The Ninja Force effectively making it all about the ninjas and turning everyone else into side characters. The stories started to take on a Ninja Turtles feel (Cartoon, not comic, because there's a major difference, but that's for another thread). So Hama's got all this ninja stuff going on and the stories just get worse and worse while at the same time, Takara and Hasbro are producing Transformers Generation 2 while having Marvel run a series of the same name. At this point, Marvel crossed them over (which in and of itself, is not a bad idea), but it served to be one of the final nails in the coffin for the Marvel Joes. With the end of the Ninja Force, Hama tried to bring the series to an honorable close, which started in issue 150 when Snake Eyes infiltrates Cobra Island alone to kill Cobra Commander. Some good ideas with a lot of baggage and utter crap and we're left with... well, something that we once knew as G.I. Joe. Anyhow, off that tangent and back to your question, people are unsure of Hama because he likes to get technical and focus on specific characters time after time after time! Snake Eyes is great, he's my favorite Joe, but at the same time I want to know about Duke, Beachhead, and Firefly as well. Hama's technical knowledge comes from his service as a radio operator in the Army so he knows his weaponry and all that, but he tends to pull a Tom Clancy and get a little too technical. We see an uzi, he explains that its a Mac 10 with an extendable stock, 10 inch supressor, and holds 30 rounds.

Um...sorry for the long explanation, but my meds wore off and I'm a little chatty right now. Hope that clears things up.