Know Your Joe!

Tom-1

Hey guys!

From the wreckage of a dead topic comes a possibly decent idea - Know Your Joe! How much do you know about your hobby? Is it just toy knowledge, or do you read the comics, watch the cartoon, take the time to learn a bit about the world of GI Joe beyond plastic and metal rivets? Let's see, hm? Everyone should participate, but I recommend withholding a question until someone gets whatever the current one is correct.

Okay, a softball for starters...

Crystal Ball is the ___ son of a ___ son? (Hint: it's a number!)

Tom

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please feel free to participate by submitting your own questions, guys!

Of course, a HISS tank, aside from being a controversial information resource on the web, is also a high speed sentry!

Okay, let's graduate a bit.

Hawk has been the commander of the GI Joe team since day one. What is his real name?

Tom

I do. I always thought it was cool for crystal Ball to be the 7th son of a 7th son. And the H.I.S.S. was always good has a high speed sentry. I guess that's why i have so many.

Here is a good Question....

How many people know what H.A.V.O.C. stands for? Tom you better know this one!lol

Please feel free to participate by submitting your own questions, guys!

Of course, a HISS tank, aside from being a controversial information resource on the web, is also a high speed sentry!

Okay, let's graduate a bit.

Hawk has been the commander of the GI Joe team since day one. What is his real name?

Tom

Could it be Clayton Abernathy? I'm pretty sure. He's even has his last name printed on the jacket of his 25th Anniversary figure, although I didn't need to look.

However, I can't remember what H.A.V.O.C. stands for.

Ok, I may or may not have looked up the 1st question on yojoe but who knows that off the top of their head? (This does not count has the next question)

Oh, I knew the 7th son thing... it's something I fell in love with as a kid, when Cee Bee was Zartan's father, and Zanzibar was the unfortunate "8th son" that got gyped of powers...

I had issues.

But HAVOC... I have to concede defeat there. Vehicle acronyms that werent in the comic are just out of my league.

Heavy Articulated Vehicle Ordnance Carrier. That was always my one of my favorite Vehicles. Of course, I don't see how it would be safe these days due to sniper fire with the guy sitting up top unless he was in full body armor.

OK! who has the next Question?

Here's a tricky one:

One of the famous(infamous) tales of the origins of the Dreadnoks is that they were to be like "the Ewoks in Star Wars". Thankfully they did not turn out as cuddly..............but...........but they still have a relation to something "fanciful"......what is it?

( Hint: this question has an answer in TWO parts!)

I'm stumped. The only thing I can think of is that the last names of the Dreadnoks as listed on their file cards are, Tom Winken(Torch), Dick Blinken( Buzzer), and Harry Nod(Ripper), an allusion to The Fishermen Three which is a children's nursery ryhme. (This info was researched from the The Ultimate Guide to GI Joe 1982-1994 by Mark Bellomo)

Anyways ARROW, I'm not sure if that's the info you're looking for because you mentioned the answer was two parts. Hmm...

Here's a tricky one:

One of the famous(infamous) tales of the origins of the Dreadnoks is that they were to be like "the Ewoks in Star Wars". Thankfully they did not turn out as cuddly..............but...........but they still have a relation to something "fanciful"......what is it?

Their names...Tom, Dick, and Harry, and their last names, Winken, Blinken (Smythe), and Nod.

Can one of the questions be about the cartoon?

If so, who was the viper in one episode of the cartoon?

Hint -( not who you would think )

The Viper you're referring to would be the old window washer that inadvertently tricked the Joe's into thinking he was a Cobra agent. It's a great episode.

Here's a tricky one:

Their names...Tom, Dick, and Harry, and their last names, Winken, Blinken (Smythe), and Nod.

Duhhh, I totally missed Tom, Dick, and Harry. And I just typed it out too.

Good job Rule!

Here's one:

This GI Joe's real name is Eric Freistadt, and was one of the original thirteen Joe's.

lets see, grunts last name is graves, breaker is kibbey, either zap or shortfuse.

I will go will shortfuse for my final answer.

Here is a good one, which joes have been in the cartoon or comic but never been made to plastic?

Well for the cartoon it'd be Sparks, who was the Joe's other radio guy. In the comics I'd haveta say Cool Breeze from issue 111-ish and maybe stretch it and say Mangler, who was introduced and killed in an issue of Special Missions. I don't count him though because he never had a costume or anything. No costume=no Joe LOL.

GIJOE is "notorious" for a couple of things--one being Kung-fu grip.

What two other anatomical features do "traditional" GIJOEs have............and why?

O-rings and Swivel arm Battle grip? @loll@

Nope, you have to go back a bit further. It something that HAS been seen on some RAH characters though as well.

Rooted Hair?

Nope, GIJOE never had rooted hair ( except for the first GIJOE Nurse)-- the "life-like" hair ( and beard) has always been flocked

hmm, this is a tough one.

Yep, it is, but here's the answer:

The key here is that this is an attribute of the original 12" figures ( ya REALLY gotta know your Joes), but has been carried over into later figures as well, mostly in the 12" format, including Hall of Fame, which used RAH characters.

What is it?

GIJOE has two anatomical peculiarities: his scar on his cheek.......and..........an inverted thumbnail.

The former was a way to make GIJOE rugged and more than just a fashion doll, and reduce the stigma of boys playing with a doll back in the 60's. The idea was that a scar could only be acquired by some violent action ( accidental or deliberate) and suggested that this is a toy of action.

The inverted thumbnail, by comparison.....was a mistake.

Its on the left hand of the original style, Timeless and 40th Ann. figures.......and on one of the hands of the Hall of Fame and Classic Collection style figures.

The thumbnail was molded on the WRONG-SIDE of the thumb, but was such a subtle mistake that it was kept ( and overlooked) anyways.

The reason? The two items; the scar and inverted thumbnail are anatomical marks that could be trademarked on the toy, thus leading to legal protection for Hasbro in the design of the figure.

The human body CANNOT be trademarked as a mechanical design, if the armature is portraying a human being, so specific alterations or markings provide the distinctions for legal protection.

I would've guessed the scar, didn't know about the thumbnail..... Interesting.

___________ is a character whose likeness is stylized after Larry Hama (looks like him).