Too Much of a Good Thing?

gojira77

I don't think that all peg-warmers are neccessarily bad figures-- sometimes it's just a weird distribution issue. Currently, my Target and Wal-mart, as well as local department store Fred Meyer, are just glutted with great figures like the Tomax and Xamot, Tiger Force Flint, General Hawk, and Bazooka. I've even encountered clusters of unwanted Snow Serpents and All-Black Snake-Eyes'! Now, of course, the BATS are still crazy scarce, but really I don't think it's fair to say that only crappy figures clog the pegs. Really, would Hasbro make that many bad figures if they didn't think they could sell? (Please don't counter with the Idiana Jones line-- IMO those toys were doomed for other reasons, including production issues that made most of the Raiders Indy's look like cross-eyed, drunken vagabonds!).

I think Jet Pack Duke is a prime example-- not a bad figure in the least, and arguably the best Duke in the whole line (many respectable review sites would agree!). We just got waaaaaaaay too many of them, and too soon after most people bought either the Battle Pack or Wave 4. The man was competing with himself for peg space! Now with TF Flint, if you don't like that figure I just DARE you to take one out of the package and play with it-- you'll see that the toy literally radiates with awesomeness. But go ckeck out the G.I. Joe section at Wal-mart these days and you'll find so many of these gems you'll think it's a regular synthoid conspiracy.

What do you think-- do I have a point or am I off my meds again? (Could be-- it is Wednesday after all... :) ).

I honestly thought the all black storm shadow would be the hard one to find. Lucky i got a b a t fig not long after that wave came out. Iv even been seeing a redistrabution of the first wave. I only wish mattel with the dc universe line would have this problem ( to many figs on the pegs ). Im so glad they came out with the joes the way i grew up with them. Just wish they looked as good as they do now back then. Also i think a problem with the joes is as someone said befor every one got there favs already jet pack duke or what ever the case maybe. So it would be better to back off on the ones on the pegs already and throw some new ones in there IMO...

Jetpack Duke is the best Duke? Since when? I mean at least the one that comes with the comic pack has the full use of his arms...

The CP Wave 4 Duke has a great head and a much more reasonably sized M-16, but his head doesn't look right on that body, his wrinkly hands look even worse than Stalkers', and Duke was never a member of the O13 anyways. I just use the better head and gear with my Battle Pack Duke, creating a more iconic Super-Duke who can actually hold his gun with both hands.

Jet Pack Duke has a cleaner paint application to his face, sharper colors, and gear that makes sense that he actually used more than once in the cartoon. He has the accessory hole in his back and also a slight mod to his crotch to allow more movement. The lighter shirt is probably there to help him stand out from the Wave 4/ Battle Pack version, but it also gives more contrast and provides a better background to his flag patch. He's been raved about as the "All-American Duke" in two reviews (here and here) on three fansites where the reviewers admitted that they were initially resistant but simply won over by the figure's coolness and charm.

We may love to hate, but I personally don't think we as fans would have been too put out if this version was the only Duke we received in the 25th A. line.

I don't think that all peg-warmers are neccessarily bad figures-- sometimes it's just a weird distribution issue. Currently, my Target and Wal-mart, as well as local department store Fred Meyer, are just glutted with great figures like the Tomax and Xamot, Tiger Force Flint, General Hawk, and Bazooka. I've even encountered clusters of unwanted Snow Serpents and All-Black Snake-Eyes'! Now, of course, the BATS are still crazy scarce, but really I don't think it's fair to say that only crappy figures clog the pegs. Really, would Hasbro make that many bad figures if they didn't think they could sell? (Please don't counter with the Idiana Jones line-- IMO those toys were doomed for other reasons, including production issues that made most of the Raiders Indy's look like cross-eyed, drunken vagabonds!).

I think Jet Pack Duke is a prime example-- not a bad figure in the least, and arguably the best Duke in the whole line (many respectable review sites would agree!). We just got waaaaaaaay too many of them, and too soon after most people bought either the Battle Pack or Wave 4. The man was competing with himself for peg space! Now with TF Flint, if you don't like that figure I just DARE you to take one out of the package and play with it-- you'll see that the toy literally radiates with awesomeness. But go ckeck out the G.I. Joe section at Wal-mart these days and you'll find so many of these gems you'll think it's a regular synthoid conspiracy.

What do you think-- do I have a point or am I off my meds again? (Could be-- it is Wednesday after all... :) ).

I completely agree with you on that. Peg warmers have actually become some of my best friends...as strange as that sounds. Around here in Ocoee and Orlando I've managed to find many of the figures that are scarce like Firefly, Stalker, Iron Grenadiers Destro, Iron Grenadier and so on. This was just a week ago too, so I thought, well maybe Wal-Mart (an evil word and place, but I deal) had just found an old box. I asked one of their stockers and he told me they just had a surplus of those particular figures and no explanation for why.

As for Jet Pack Duke...hell yeah! All I did was switch out his guns and belt for the ones that came with Duke VS CC and Duke VS Red Star, but even if I hadn't done that, he's the best Duke so far.

I don't get it

Why do people think Walmart is evil?

Target is too ritzy they act like ther Macy's

Kmart is just plain expensive

Its just a running joke that has some truth to it. Wal-Mart sucks up everything around it whenever one is built.

They tried to build another here in the New Port Richey area and there was an uproar

Anyways my only complaint about my local Walmart is that they have tons of Indiana Jones pegwarmers

If they ever got the Last Crusade wave of Temple of Doom wave they should bring it out and out the older figures as backstock

I say the same with GI Joe

If there is a new wave then clear out some of the older waves then put up the newer waves so they will sell and get you more figures

But usually thes depts are run by non collectors who don't care

I don't get it

Why do people think Walmart is evil?

Target is too ritzy they act like ther Macy's

Kmart is just plain expensive

Basically, Wal-mart is the World's Largest Dollar Store-- if they weren't so damn big they wouldn't have such a huge effect on the world economy and even American factory jobs.

Before Wally World came along, manufacturers like Tupperware (which they temporarily drove out of business along with Vlassic Pickles) and Hasbro told the retailers what they are making and the level of quality. The push came from the people that make things and the consumer got better quality and innovation and factory workers could count on stable prices to insure that their jobs didn't go to that Great Sweat Shop known as China. Walmart changed all that-- now the pull comes from retail. That's why there is so little new out on the shelves and we're drowning in Dukes, Retail says jump and Manufacturers say "How High" and "Thank you, Sir-- may I have another?".

Wal-mart's like an amoeba who grows and absorbs-- there's nothing new about a discount retail chain, it's just there size and scale that worries A LOT of people. Target and K-mart are nowhere's as big! Wal-mart actually send their representatives around the world to developing countries and these execs from Arkansas are received like diplomats from a major world power. They tell Countries that they want items with such-and-such price and such-and-such quality, or else they'll go elsewhere. And if your job went to China and never come back, thank Wal-mart, because they did the same hard ball tactics with your own employer. What's scary is that some economists believe that we had such low interests rates for so long was because of Wally's effect on our economy.

Take a classic 1950s horror movie for example-- Ants in general aren't very scary. They work hard and make cool tunnels, but they're little and cute and harmless. But suppose there was some atomic testing going on by that ant hill, which create giant super ants. Now you got your horror movie and your girlfriend will be so scared you're likely to make it to second base, daddio! That's what Wal-mart is-- K-mart mutated by Atomic radiation and grown to mammoth proportions. Mr. Roll-back Smash Puny Competitors!!!

BTW-- I still buy Joes there, too. :)