0eBay Cuts 1600 Jobs, 10 Percent Of Its Work Force, And I'm So Happy

lldjslim

lldjslim is the most ignorant poster in the Joe community entirely.

Dam! i really really thought that title was mine! any other Joe community titles i could get now?????

TM

If it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure you still have 'strangest sig'. Cobra Commander in briefs is pretty difficult to top.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ebay's been really good to me-- actually helping me to SAVE money on Joes because when it comes to multi-packs the site allows me to only buy the ones I want or else sell the ones I don't. I started selling recently, too, converting old stuff into quick cash to pay for new Joes. I'm sorry, but like FDR during the Depression, nobody's allowed to bad mouth the name of Ebay in my house! :)

I used to buy & sell on eBay. Now I am glad they are failing miserably because of their current business practices. They shot themselves in the foot when they changed to be more 'buyer' & large volume seller friendly. They can burn in hell for all I care. @firedevil@

Those people who lost their jobs know who's fault it was, the current management's fault.

You guys are all jerks. Give him a break. It's obvious the GI Joes and the "suckers who buy from the scalpers" (who are going to hell also) which would contribute $120.35 to eBay from buying a $1000 Rattler) brought eBay down. A-holes. I'm off to find me some Orange Strawberry SunnyD

Can someone please tell me what is going on with eBay and these new policies? I have been out of the loop for a bit. I have only bought except maybe once to sell my dad's guitar for him. What makes them so terrible now?

Can someone please tell me what is going on with eBay and these new policies? I have been out of the loop for a bit. I have only bought except maybe once to sell my dad's guitar for him. What makes them so terrible now?

Lets see, First you HAVE to use paypal for every transaction, which mean you go through Ebay INC's corp policys. Which include normally finding for the buyer. So now every personal seller is a store that takes returns and refunds if Ebay INC decides too make you.

The prices are up, the costs are higher in dealing. They now basically tell you you must use a tracking number if you want ANY protection from anything. Even then they can just side in the buyers favor if the buyer just sends it back.

Its complete and smelling BS. Seriously Ebay can go DIAF right now.

Actually I would prefer they Vaproze in a Nuclear Blast.

Hello all!! My name is Mike. I want to thank my good buddy Harry (Arashikage Storm) for the nice words. I am that joe collector/former eBay employee that was recently laid off by eBay as part of the "Lucky 1600". I worked as a remote employee for eBay since 1998, and now they've decided to "streamline" the company and my entire department of remote employees was laid off. There were about 35 people in my department, so I'm honestly not sure where the rest of the lay-offs were....

I also want to thank lldjslim for the laugh.....I honestly laughed out loud when I read that post......Seriously, one of the most ridiculous, ill-informed, moronic, non-sensible things I've ever read. So thank you, lldjslim, and please know that eBay has heard your voice loud and clear, and is doing all it can to make you happy. By laying off 1600 people, eBay is sure to snuff out the people listing 25th joe items for more than YOU feel they should be listed for, and return eBay to greatness.....Nevermind clicking on an item, saying to yourself "The seller is asking too much" and then simply moving on to the next listing. You shouldn't have to do that!!!

Oh and by the way, lldjslim, let me give you a few examples of the nameless/faceless members of the lucky 1600:

-Myself, 33, and another guy in Iowa named Robert, 31. Both married, with mortgages, car payments, and two children. And at our ages, we're some of the lucky ones:

-A man name Jack in Northern Florida, 50, who's wife can't work due to Diabetes complications

-A woman in Dallas, Texas named Clarice, in her 50's, who's husband is disabled.

-A woman in San Jose, CA named Morgan, single mother of 2 who's husband passed away a few years ago in a car accident. Working at home for eBay was the perfect situation for her.

I could go on and on, but I won't. These are some of the more extreme cases, and most people will be ok. But the examples I gave are people who are my friends that I've worked with for 10 years, and care deeply for and am very concerned about. So lldjslim, I thought you'd like to know about a few of the people laid off. But judging from the extreme ignorance of your post, I doubt my posting will move you in any way.

As for the problems with eBay, I could go on and on but I don't want to jeopardize the VERY generous severance package everyone in my department received. I won't go into details, but please know that even though we were laid off, we did receive a very nice severence package that will support us for some time. They also set us up with a free year, completely paid for by eBay, with a highly reputable 'transition' company that does resume's, networks jobs, etc, etc, etc. So while it's not the greatest thing that's ever happened to me, it's by no means the end of the world, and to be honest I'm excited about my future prospects, as I haven't been challenged like this in years.....

My resume will be out there soon, so watch out, lldjslim, I could be YOUR supervisor soon.....Although, from what I hear, french fries practically fry themselves these days so you should be ok ;)

Thank you all for slamming this idiot, it's nice to see lldjslim is clearly the exception, and not the norm :)

Mike

Lets see, First you HAVE to use paypal for every transaction, which mean you go through Ebay INC's corp policys. Which include normally finding for the buyer. So now every personal seller is a store that takes returns and refunds if Ebay INC decides too make you.

The prices are up, the costs are higher in dealing. They now basically tell you you must use a tracking number if you want ANY protection from anything. Even then they can just side in the buyers favor if the buyer just sends it back.

Since when do you HAVE to use Paypal? I've never done an e-bay auction where I could ONLY accept Paypal...

And it's the few that ruin it for the many... I've been ripped off on e-bay (to the tune of about $1000) and got none of it back. So don't see how this "buyer-friendly" policy you speak of worked. :)

-Kevin

Yes, that serves them right.

Not just because of the bad economy either, its all of those ridicuclus 25th anniversary GI Joe auctions flooding ebay w/ those skyhigh scalpers prices now has put a hurting on ebay. I saw one auction for a Target exclusive Rattler w/ a buy it now price of $1000.00, who will pay that kind of money, I bet some sucker out there will. ebays stock fell to a measly $9.00 a share.

Because, if there is a hell down below all of ebay, the scalpers, and the suckers who buy from scalpers are all gonna go strait to hell.

BURN IN HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU SCLAPER SCUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um, what?

OK, I know it is not worth the time it will take me to type this but, either you have a very bad taste of humor or you are just plain mean.

The world is financially spiraling out of control, people are loosing their jobs and homes, the planet is melting down and you think a scalper is the fall of E-bay. You really need to get educated. Scalpers are a part of the system, like them or not, they serve a purpose. If you hate them so much don't buy from them.

Oh and one finale point no one deserves to be hated. Hate breeds hate...

I'm glad to see that lldj-whats his face offends other people with his ignorance, and it's not just me. This is almost as bad (and I hesitate to say it) as Evilstar's posts.

Most of what I saw of Evilstar was bull-headed and silly, but you could at least tell he had a point. Sometimes it only made sense to him, but it was there.

This... not so much. The sheer lack of anything resembling even the most warped form of logic makes it so incomprehensible that all you're left with is offensive attitude... and this is not a topic that people should be getting offensive about, especially those who have no involvement or stake in it.

bigklop1/Mike, I'm glad to see you're in high spirits and I hope things work out for you and all the others in your department. After ten years, you'd think 'job security' would be something you could count on.

I've been hearing that the economy should be on the upswing sometime next year. Here's hopin'. @drink@

You should stick around and have some fun with us in the meantime. :)

Since when do you HAVE to use Paypal? I've never done an e-bay auction where I could ONLY accept Paypal...

And it's the few that ruin it for the many... I've been ripped off on e-bay (to the tune of about $1000) and got none of it back. So don't see how this "buyer-friendly" policy you speak of worked. :)

-Kevin

Part of the new ebay policy beginning next month is to have Paypal as the only payment option.I know because I sell my unwanted stuff there.Can we say monopoly (for those who may not know,ebay owns paypal)?

So, you pay when you list ,when it sells, then when you collect the payment and it all goes to the same place.

It's shady to still call it paypal and act like it's a seperate entity when it's all tied in,just to collect more money.Personally,it has caused me to not to bother trying to sell as much.I think this rings true for a lot of people.

I know it's the recession, and not the fees that are causing the layoffs,but the extra fees and railroading does'nt help.

-Kevin

Part of the new ebay policy beginning next month is to have Paypal as the only payment option.I know because I sell my unwanted stuff there.Can we say monopoly (for those who may not know,ebay owns paypal)?

So, you pay when you list ,when it sells, then when you collect the payment and it all goes to the same place.

It's shady to still call it paypal and act like it's a seperate entity when it's all tied in,just to collect more money.Personally,it has caused me to not to bother trying to sell as much.I think this rings true for a lot of people.

I know it's the recession, and not the fees that are causing the layoffs,but the extra fees and railroading does'nt help.

I have not yet seen this policy. If that is the case and Paypal is the ONLY payment option available, I can see e-bay causing it's own downfall. But what other auction website will rise up in its place?

-Kevin

No repsonse from idj? I Would imagine we'll see another poster with a low post count regurgitating poor thoughts all over our beloved board sometime in the near future.

The guy voiced his opinion though I doubt it was well thought out. Not to stand up for him, but kids can get on this site... I hate to run a guy down who may be an eleven year old who knows how to use spellcheck well enough to post here but not develope a viable opinion. Very childlike to hold a host site reponsible for the people who use it.

I blame TNI for letting this guy post here. They should all lose their jobs!

Doesn't make much sense now, does it.

No repsonse from idj? I Would imagine we'll see another poster with a low post count regurgitating poor thoughts all over our beloved board sometime in the near future.

The guy voiced his opinion though I doubt it was well thought out. Not to stand up for him, but kids can get on this site... I hate to run a guy down who may be an eleven year old who knows how to use spellcheck well enough to post here but not develope a viable opinion. Very childlike to hold a host site reponsible for the people who use it.

I blame TNI for letting this guy post here. They should all lose their jobs!

Doesn't make much sense now, does it.

I stand corrected. I just scoped out his member profile and it says he's 31.

Shameful post my friend. Don't know you as a person, but that rant was abysmal. Offer your apology or clarify your remarks so we can try to understand where you're coming from...unless you really are that narrowminded to think eBay and it's employees should be held responsible for people who are making a buck off the impatient and willing eBayers who are willing to spend 1000% markups to get the figures they deem "worth" it.

Next time I get the wrong order from McDonalds, I'm writing corporate and calling for the dismissal of 850 employees because NO ONE should mess with my McNuggets!

I have not yet seen this policy. If that is the case and Paypal is the ONLY payment option available, I can see e-bay causing it's own downfall. But what other auction website will rise up in its place?

-Kevin

So you haven't been paying any attention to your in box on your eBay page?

Well they first tried it in Australia...

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2008/05/11/e...ng-paypal-only/

They failed to impress the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission...

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080...nly-policy.html

Here is the policy...

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/August2008Updat...ents/index.html @grumpy@

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080...nly-policy.html

No repsonse from idj?

I'd wager the guy's been suspended. I can't imagine no one reported his original post.

What is there to report? There's no rule on the TNI forums about making a stupid statement, only about making statements that attack other posters.

Anyone can make a bone-headed comment, so the dog-pile on the guy is a bit over the top.

Still, its pretty much a classic "WTF?" post that I'm surprised was said at all..........mostly because anyone with brains can figure out pretty quick there's a tough crowd in here.

No repsonse from idj?

I'd wager the guy's been suspended. I can't imagine no one reported his original post.

What is there to report? There's no rule on the TNI forums about making a stupid statement, only about making statements that attack other posters.

Anyone can make a bone-headed comment, so the dog-pile on the guy is a bit over the top.

Still, its pretty much a classic "WTF?" post that I'm surprised was said at all..........mostly because anyone with brains can figure out pretty quick there's a tough crowd in here.

I agree, there's no reason to suspend him. I disagree that the pile on him is over the top. when you make as ridiculous a statement as he did, you deserve the reaction that you get, and when the reaction is as appropriate as this, even more so.

that being said, when you make as asinine a statement or position, then you have to man-up in your own thread and take the criticism, and, you know, maybe actually learn from it, because, clearly, he has a lot to learn about life, people, and what is important, and lacks a significant amount of maturity.