Why I think Duke is Awesome:

gojira77

Cobra's out of ammo, but so is he. They swarm up the railing like ants and fan out around him, their knives glinting in the setting sun. He's killed some of their brothers, and these comrads of darkness won't rest until his blood is spilled across the lonely rooftop. He's tired, he should keep his mind focused. As the murderous cell surrounds him, he fails to restrain one stray thought-- how much he pities the poor bastards!

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d4.jpg

d5.jpg

One of the Commander's elite troopers scales the wall like a hunting python and nimbly leaps to position. He stands there for a moment to take in the jumble of groans and scattered teeth, then politely removes his helmet to flash a cocky smile that Duke swears he's seen before. The guardsman introduces himself as Fred and says he's impressed, even honored to meet the weary soldier. Then the smile recedes to a sharp, deadlier expression. Fred asks him if he's ready, softly adding the word "sir". Duke nods, he's too beat to grin or reply with a stupid wisecrack.

In the blink of an eye, they're both pushed to the edge. It doesn't last long.

d6.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

d9.jpg

Duke made it back to the checkpoint, scraped up but alive. When the squad returned to HQ the coffee was ice cold, but he had a note from Scarlett in his breast pocket to keep him warm. She said she'd wait up for him in her quarters and that he'd better not be late this time. At Two in the morning, he knew right then the best way to make the most of his evening.

IMG_2133.jpg

That was pretty neat.

Thanks! One of these days I'd like to do a full-dio on my version of Operation: Dragonfire. It would start as pretty much a shameless rip-off of Apocalypse Now as Destro travels into a deep jungle with a small unit of Iron Grenadier bodyguards in search of Cobra Commander sometime after the fall of Cobra La. Nobody really knows for sure, but some disturbing stories have circulated out of that forsaken area about a powerful new warlord. If the Commander has truely regained his humanoid form, he may now be more beast than man. Destro's guilty conscience compels him further into this Heart of Darkness, but he soon questions his course of action as his bodyguards begin to vanish one by one in the night! And yes, CC will still hiss and even don the new MARS prototype battle armor like in the cartoon.

Hey Goj,

That was pretty rad! I have to admit though, when I saw the underwear, I thought to myself "Duke wraps up the night by slipping into his favorite lingerie and feeling pretty until morning."

Tom

Well everyone knows that the hallmark of great strory telling is to have an ambiguous ending-- kinda like Bladerunner! :)

Hey Goj,

That was pretty rad! I have to admit though, when I saw the underwear, I thought to myself "Duke wraps up the night by slipping into his favorite lingerie and feeling pretty until morning."

Tom

I have to admit, that thought occurred to me as well.

And its left me feeling distinctly uncomfortable ever since..... #yuk@#

Alright, alright! :) So much for subtle...

Here's the Alternate Ending for the Digitally Re-mastered One-Day-Anniversary Collector's Special Edition:

epilogue

(Coincidentally, this is how Duke and Scarlett like to play "Tiger Force"...)

199b_dating_girl.jpg

Plus BONUS Deleted Scenes that just didn't work for my specific artistic vision:

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

Huh-- I don't quite remember anything like that in the old Sunbow cartoon, but you know, I did have a pretty bad Fruit Loops habit back then and really the whole decade is just a blur!

I think for my next photo shoot, I'm going to see how many off-the-wall scenes I can do with Radioactive Snake-eyes, perhaps the most under-used figure in my collection. I'll call it "The Further Adventures of Radioactive Snake-Eyes" in honor of the old Toyfare Slide-show strip that tried to do the same with another limited 'action' figure-- Han Solo in Carbonite.

I think for my next photo shoot, I'm going to see how many off-the-wall scenes I can do with Radioactive Snake-eyes, perhaps the most under-used figure in my collection. I'll call it "The Further Adventures of Radioactive Snake-Eyes" in honor of the old Toyfare Slide-show strip that tried to do the same with another limited 'action' figure-- Han Solo in Carbonite.

Neat-o, looking forward to it.

Are you going to build some sort of set or backdrop?

Neat-o, looking forward to it.

Are you going to build some sort of set or backdrop?

Depends on how much time I give myself-- I will definitely take him outside though. I can't wait for the first time it snows!

Epilogue...

SuperStock_1795R-9260.jpg

Wait, so Duke wears lacy panties?

Ok guys... 'Ha Ha' and enough already. I already went in and edited my second post to add a proper Duke and Scarlett pic, and then offered a new epilogue pic of a redhead model in her underthingies. Don't make me delete that post with the delicates on the unmade sheets-- I was trying to add a touch of romance and that's the best that Google image had. As tough as v1 Duke looks with the more chiseled CP head, you'd think he'd get more slack over his choice of undergarments anyways. :) Oh well, make fun of my badass childhood hero all you want-- he still likely did you favorite Joe's girlfriend. And no, I don't just mean Scarlett! @loll@

IMG_2133.jpg

I gotta tell you man, I don't think you should have ended it this way. Therefore, I present my suggestions for the final shot:

How about this -

SA400298-1.jpg

Or -

SA400307.jpg

Or -

SA400308.jpg

Or -

SA400326.jpg

:huh: Well, those are all great suggestions... Because their personalities are so different, I tend to think of the comic and Sunbow's Scarletts as seperate characters. I still can't FATHOM all the Duke-hate in the world. I think I was 12 when I first encountered a comic fan who hated Duke, and I was left scratching my head as I am now. To each his own, I guess! Great pics by the way, though First Sgt. Hauser wouldn't see it that way.

BTW, Duke would like your girlfriend's number! :)

is that G.I.JOE 25th ANNI. WAVE 4 DUKE?

No, it's my own custom "Super-Duke", using the body from the Joe 5-Pack and the head of the Wave 4 CP Duke (who came w/ Red Star). Just like Flint, the Duke head looks completely different w/o that thick layer of flesh-tone paint (its also a little smaller). A painted Duke comes off more baby-faced, but with the CP head you can really see the sculpter's original intention. He still has a more oval toy-based face than a square-jawed 'toon one, but the expression is harder and more stern. CP Duke also had a more reasonably sized M-16 that regular Duke harms can hold just fine! The slight mod has turned my mild-mannered 5-pack Duke into a whole other character. :)