I finally ordered a real (And nice, and screen accurate) Fedora

amazingdm

I've been wanting a real and screen accurate fedora for years and I finally got one.. well I ordered it a week ago from Australia (Great exchange rate right now) from hatsdirect.com

It's called the Federation IV and it's pretty darn close to what Indy wore in the first 3. It was designed by fans including the guy who MADE the hats for crystal skull.

Eventually I'll want to get one just like in the first 3 movies (like $350) as a pure collectable but this is great for a costume piece and good hat.

I'll take pics of mine when it comes

http://hatsdirect.com/federation/index.html

Y'know, my brother's been knocking around a similar idea I think is cool. He's been thinking about getting a fedora, and where he's done some missionary work in other countries, he wants to put one in a case or something surrounded by some of the real-life artifacts he's brought back. I thought that was a cool idea...

The Akubra Fed is the finest hat you can get for the money. It is truly the best value, and a high quality hat for sure. Most Indy fans agree this is the one to get. I purchased my Fed IV early this year, and I could not be happier with it. It puts every Dorfman Pacific offering to shame. Great choice! How do you intend to block it? I went with more of a Raider's block instead of the Crystal Skull look. I like a hard pinch in the front. I'll try to post some pics, but alas, my camera died a few months back.

TKO the OAD

The crystal skull hat is okay and I know the guy who made them for the movie (you can buy the same one for $400, and wait over a year to get it) but it's made from beaver felt instead of rabbit like the first 3 and, the bash seemed almost unpinched and so wide and it just didn't have that worn in feeling. On the other hand the Raiders super tight pinch is not my cup of tea and isn't the iconic Indy to me so I'm going to go with ToD/LC bash. Might take a while to perfect it.

ds

Didn't come today, I was crushed

10-29-08_1428.jpg

10-29-08_1542.jpg

10-29-08_1543.jpg

Anyway I love this hat. It put any need to get a 300+ dollar hat away because I honestly feel like I have the same exact hat worn in the movies... it's amazing. Oh btw it looks so BIG. I wonder what strangers think when they see it lol.

It took me forever to get the hang of how to bash the crown.. and I used some steam and cold water (cold water worked better) for the brim. Please tell me what you think of my bash; I like it but I don't have a trained eye. Last Crusade is my favorite movie so thats what I went for.

10-30-08_0339.jpg

10-30-08_0337.jpg

Your hat is looking great! Really nice job on the blocking. As far as fedoras go, I don't think you can get a finer hat for the price. I absolutely love my Akubra Fed. I did the Indy thing for Halloween this year, and just about every year. I've been collecting my gear for a couple of years now. What can I say? I'm a big Indy nut.

I'd post some pics from Halloween, but I seem to be having issues posting pics now...

Did anyone else dress up?

TKO the OAD

• 3 weeks later...

Hey amazingdm,

I'm glad you went with the Akubra. I've had mine since July, but haven't been wearing it much since it's been so damn hot down here in southern Louisiana. Now that we're getting some colder weather, I've been wearing my Fed IV to school. My students immediately recognize it as "an Indiana Jones hat."

I'm surprised you had some trouble with the bash. I took the hat out of the box, put it on my head, made a center dent with the edge of my hand, and then gently pinched the front. I gave it a slightly tighter pinch after shaping the front of the brim down, and it's been just right ever since. The only problem I have is that I think I should've ordered one size smaller...and I can't find that sizing foam!

It's a beautiful hat, and though a little costly, I love it. I'm planning on buying another brown and also a gray down the line.

Lots of folks have complimented me at work, and I really think we men of today should bring back classy hats like these. Ball caps are great for working outside or going to sporting events, but I just don't feel right without my fedora.

GL

• 2 years later...

Akubra make spectacular hats, to be sure. I was in a used leather jackets store in Brussels about 9 years ago and came across a hat claiming to be THE Indiana Jones hat. It fitted me and it was only about $25 so I bought it. It has since become one of my most treasured hats.

post-37729-0-36430700-1306020115_thumb.jpg

Made my Mayser in Germany and seems to be officially licensed. I just googled Mayser Indiana Jones and found this link:

http://www.hutshopping.de/s01.php?shopid=s01&cur=gbp&sp=en&ag=1&pp=aa&bnr=60602&partner=45

Then last year I was in Munich, found Breiter - seems to be a flagship Mayser store - and took a look around hat heaven.

post-37729-0-01881900-1306021194_thumb.png

I wanted to get a brand new Indie hat but my wife would have divorced me, so I bought a very cool Mayser take on the straw hat.

post-37729-0-54592700-1306020522_thumb.jpg