G.I Joe the movie uniforms

Darklon

You know one thing that has sort of been bothering me lately? I was wondering just how much the G.I joe movie costume crew spent making those "advanced" warfare suits they are putting our joes in. I mean, from a financial standpoint look at how much those costumes probably cost and for what really? The majority of people who saw those costumes immediately said "This movies gonna suck!"

I bet they could have simply driven down to a G.I's army/navy store and spent a fraction of the cost outfitting our joes in some GOD #@!$ CAMO!!! @firedevil@

Can you imagine what the reaction would have been if the first pictures released of our beloved joes had been all decked out in camo? I mean think Bruce Willis in tears of the sun or Mark Wahlburg in shooter or even the transformer's delta team. I know I would have been estatic. A navy seals info commerical feels more like a G.I joe movie then the current one right now. The only character they have gotten right has been the baroness (outfit wise anyways) and maybe snake eyes. I just dont understand how there can be a room full of people nodding their heads and saying "brilliant" when these outfits were introduced. I mean, have they never seen the Rock? those outfits would have been perfect.

No footage has been shown from the movie yet, and the issue of the movie costumes is very old news now......its a moot point. We don't know how they are going to resolve the matter, and frankly, I think its a minor point.

If these characters wore gear that looks like the gear worn my military types in every other movie........what's to make GIJOE stand out on screen, without making the characters stand out in a silly looking way

If such characters are going to wear uniforms ( remember what that word means), then they'd probably be wearing something sensible, NOT something colourful--and if they are a high-tech unit, they'll wear high tech gear.

While I don't like the outfits, my primary gripe is that they're all black. Against equally black-garbed Cobra Vipers, Baroness and I have to assume Destro. It's just sort of dull, and I think it will look terrible on shelves.

I mean, I imagine Duke's suit could have been done up in green or tan, Scarlett's in red, so on and so on. But all of them being identical isn't my idea of GI Joe. I mean, seriously, when has the team ever worn the same colored and designed outfit? I ...

www.yojoe.com/action/82

... Damn it.

Tom

While I don't like the outfits, my primary gripe is that they're all black. Against equally black-garbed Cobra Vipers, Baroness and I have to assume Destro. It's just sort of dull, and I think it will look terrible on shelves.

I mean, I imagine Duke's suit could have been done up in green or tan, Scarlett's in red, so on and so on. But all of them being identical isn't my idea of GI Joe. I mean, seriously, when has the team ever worn the same colored and designed outfit? I ...

www.yojoe.com/action/82

... Damn it.

Tom

Yea, but those uniforms look like Dr. Denton pajamas.

They always have, and always will.

My gripe is that they are also black as well, but I'm wondering if that will be addressed at some point in the movie. It would not surprise me, if there were costume changes therein, and these black duds are something the troopers wear earlier on in the film.

Yeah, we can hope at least. I mean, it's not like seeing those awful TF designs - at least the Joes can change into something different!

I kind of like the black, but I agree that it's kind of boring and a lazy solution to look "cool". I would like them a lot better if I got to see Duke in his more traditional RAH type of look as well, at some point in the movie.

I have always thought that the movie producers are just playing it safe by upping the sci-fi factor that was always there in ARAH so that the theatre-going audience wouldn't get too many unpleasant associations with the real war that's going on right now! The 80s line and fun adventure shows like the A-Team, as well as movies like Rambo and The Predator, could get away with a little more military realism because painful memories of 'Nam were more distant in the public consciousness. Remember that the divisions over Vietnam were a major marketing problem for both the Original Joe-- who had to give up his camo bdu's and take up looking for the freaking Yeti!-- and even classic little Army Men. America isn't going through nearly as much turmoil over the Iraq conflict, but I remember when that dimple-faced guy they got playing Duke gave an interview while his anti-millitary movie Stop Gap was coming out. He basically said he'd only take part in the Joe movie because it wasn't real war, but more like "X-men"! So there's your black costumes-- I mean "uniforms", for you.

Remember that the divisions over Vietnam were a major marketing problem for both the Original Joe-- who had to give up his camo bdu's and take up looking for the freaking Yeti!-- and even classic little Army Men

Its been said that the Adventure Team sold more from the merits that it had a LOT of imagination behind it, rather than it had ju

st been "GIJOE"--other toys of a similar nature ( Big Jim, Action Jackson) also sold well around that time.

The only reason GIJOE started out as a military toy is that a military theme was about the easiest way to starkly distinguish a "doll" meant for boys from Barbie dolls meant for girls. If straight adventure had been a more accessible and popular genre ( westerns were the biggest genre going, back then) then the Adventure team material would have been what GIJOE debuted with back in 1994.

The military theming made GIJOE topical at the time, but the AT stuff made it perennial.

As it was, the AT stuff outsold the military stuff by wide margins--so much so that the AT era is probably more indicative of the 12" scale Joes than the military stuff.

Remember that the divisions over Vietnam were a major marketing problem for both the Original Joe-- who had to give up his camo bdu's and take up looking for the freaking Yeti!-- and even classic little Army Men

Its been said that the Adventure Team sold more from the merits that it had a LOT of imagination behind it, rather than it had ju

st been "GIJOE"--other toys of a similar nature ( Big Jim, Action Jackson) also sold well around that time.

The only reason GIJOE started out as a military toy is that a military theme was about the easiest way to starkly distinguish a "doll" meant for boys from Barbie dolls meant for girls. If straight adventure had been a more accessible and popular genre ( westerns were the biggest genre going, back then) then the Adventure team material would have been what GIJOE debuted with back in 1994.

The military theming made GIJOE topical at the time, but the AT stuff made it perennial.

As it was, the AT stuff outsold the military stuff by wide margins--so much so that the AT era is probably more indicative of the 12" scale Joes than the military stuff.

I'm not dissing the Adventure Team at all-- flocked hair and beards are awesome, man! I'm just trying to point to Joe history to show that there might be sound reasons for the weird sci fi departure in the new movie. If anybody should take offence it should be that actor playing Duke-boy. :)

If the Joes had showed up in all camo, there'd be just as many (if not more) people whining: "G.I Joe doesn't wear traditional uniforms! They need to be individualized!"

And yes, there's a very clear reason the Joes aren't wearing basic camo: Anyone looked at the box office receipts of anything that even looks like a "war movie" these days? If they don't make it very clear that G.I. Joe isn't just some "generic military action" movie (which weirdly enough a lot of so-called "fans" seem to want it to be despite it never having been that before), they risk it being mistaken for a "war movie" and bombing accordingly.

So they up the "fantasy" side of "military fantasy." It really doesn't bother me. G.I. Joe has always been a few years ahead of the curve with their technology. Don't see why the movie should be any different. Most of the ideas they've shown and mentioned seem to be based on things the real-world military is trying to develop, anyhow. I see it as symmetry: In the early 80's, what we saw of G.I. Joe was pretty "cutting edge." Now they're just pushing it ahead 25 years for this "reboot."

According to someone connected with the GIJ movie who's seen eighty percent of the finished footage, the Joes wear those black uniforms for the first half of the movie. Then towards the second half, they wear what my contact describes as "robot suits."

My source is not a devoted Joe fan. He's in his twenties with a peripheral appreciation of the mythology. He's aware of the major characters but was too young to be a regular watcher of the cartoon (although he's seen some episodes) and has never bought the toys. His assessment is that this is a bad movie. The general public won't like it and devoted Joe fans are really going to hate it.

I did post this along with all the other inside dirt I got from this guy at another site so yeah. That's me.

According to someone connected with the GIJ movie who's seen eighty percent of the finished footage, the Joes wear those black uniforms for the first half of the movie. Then towards the second half, they wear what my contact describes as "robot suits."

My source is not a devoted Joe fan. He's in his twenties with a peripheral appreciation of the mythology. He's aware of the major characters but was too young to be a regular watcher of the cartoon (although he's seen some episodes) and has never bought the toys. His assessment is that this is a bad movie. The general public won't like it and devoted Joe fans are really going to hate it.

I did post this along with all the other inside dirt I got from this guy at another site so yeah. That's me.

After being spoiled by Hasbro with all the awesome 25th figures. They redid more characters then we could of ever hoped for when they announced the original two two packs in early 2007. And now next year is going to suck beyond belief and we're going to be amazed that some of us complained about the 25th line so much. Damn next year is going to suck. And this movie will be unwatchable and corny and Hasbro will make less and less Joe figures as time goes on because the movie flops. And they will forget about all the success they had with the 25th line and only dwell on the movie and it's merch failure. Next year is going to suck.

I hate to be the naysayer to the naysayers (actually, no, I don't), but since when did a movie have to be good to make a good bit of money?

I draw your attention to: Fantastic Four, Fantastic Four 2, X-3, and according to many, Transformers and all three Star Wars prequels..

I hate to be the naysayer to the naysayers (actually, no, I don't), but since when did a movie have to be good to make a good bit of money?

I draw your attention to: Fantastic Four, Fantastic Four 2, X-3, and according to many, Transformers and all three Star Wars prequels..

I absolutely hated the Transformers movie, but loved it's effect on the toy series. So, the GI Joe movie could be Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander acting out scenes from Wickerman, and it won't matter to me. The resulting toys, my friends. That's all that counts!

Tom

Not only will the movie suck but we're also predicting financial failure because the movie is going to end up being corny, not hip or modern or the "next cool thing" Like Iron Man was this past summer. A property that had been around for along time had never had a movie before.

Not only will the movie suck but we're also predicting financial failure because the movie is going to end up being corny, not hip or modern or the "next cool thing" Like Iron Man was this past summer. A property that had been around for along time had never had a movie before.

And once again...none of the movies I mentioned were really the "next cool thing" with the possible exception of Transformers. Plenty of corn and cheese in pretty much all of them. Yet they all made hundreds of millions of dollars in box-office take.

If the movie is marketed well, chances are it'll do well financially, particularly since it's going to be a weak year for "summer blockbusters" because of the writer's strike.

Based on what I've heard, I'm guessing the movie will have a strong opening weekend propped mostly by the diehard Joe fans, curious casual fans, and action movie buffs. Word of mouth though will kill it's business by Week Two. Much like Ang Lee's Hulk, it will be remembered more for being a poor film than it will for the money it brought in its opening weekend.

a movie meant for nothing more than entertain nostalgic adults and children and sell toys...yeah, generic BDU's is definitely the way to go with that. if you are still complaining about the outfits, you really have no clue what this movie really is.

Looking at the movie costumes we've seen purely from a design standpoint, they are what the designers and producer wanted: sleek, futurist, and modern. While that may translate into a cool "look" for the screen and any resulting promotional stuff, it leaves any long time fan feeling "cold" or "off-put". I'd personally rather see something that focuses not at all on a "look" and more on "the feel".

I know it's been said several times, and will be several more until the movie hits, but this is not our Joe. It's a Hollywood bastardized version of Joe. It's not made for us, although I'm 100% certain the money behind the movie is feeling good about themselves because of the "nods to the fanboys" that they threw in. What it seems to me is going to happen is that the movie is going to sell itself on flash and "unique characters" while missing the boat on what makes all the old stories important: characterization.

The thing that truly fills me with dread is the one thing that I have absolutely no control over even if I started a public boycott today: The next generation of "Joe-heads" is going to hold this as canon. Good or (more likely) bad, this is how the future collectors and general public will remember Joe from here on out. A hype filled, bubble headed, all flash and no substance blip on the quickly passing movie radar that will be little remembered two days after veiwing.

I know there are going to be those folks who are going to say "shut up!, you don't know until you've seen!", but I know what's been done more often than not in the past, and I really have a bad feeling about this. I hope I'm wrong...I really do. But I don't think I am. As for the toys, I'm up for anything as long as it stays 3 3/4, has no action attack, and can be chopped up for customs.

That's my opinion.

At least Joe will be "on the radar" regardless of how the film turns out. Compared to now, where it's essentially a franchise doomed to a slow, lingering death if it doesn't have some kind of successful reinvention sooner rather than later.

No line (except maybe Star Wars) can survive on its' "nostalgic hardcore fanbase" alone. No matter how much we might wish it were so. Undoubtedly people will point at the 25th Anniversary line and declare it as all Joe needs to succeed. To those folks I posit: Do you really think Hasbro isn't selling this line to retailers as a "build up" to the more expansive movie line next year? Do you see The 25A line sharing as much shelf space as Transformers, or Star Wars?

Right now the "current generation" of kids and teens doesn't know Joe at all. There might be a few exceptions (mostly children of older Joe fans), but by and large that's pretty much the case. Yeah, the movie will be a reinvention. No doubt about that, but it's also an opportunity to rope in new fans.

If we'd had the internet back in those days, I can just imagine the howls of indignation and "it's not OUR Joe" that would be crying to the heavens about this newfangled line of "tiny" figures and "weird" characters that were replacing our 12" Adventure Team guys.

Times change, and so do franchises. We can either accept that fact and give the new version a fair shake, or we can pre-convince ourselves that it's just going to completely suck because it's not "the way we remember it" and be miserable whiners about it for the rest of eternity.

Sadly, all-too-many people seem to think the latter is the way to go.

I leave you with this thought:

IDW Comics is "rebooting" the Joe franchise, and by and large Joe fans leap for joy and declare it the "best thing ever" sight-unseen.

G.I. Joe Resolute is "rebooting" the Joe franchise, and everyone leaps for joy and declares it the "best thing ever" sight-unseen (or with only a tiny snippet seen).

The Movie is "rebooting" the Joe franchise and everyone declares it crap sight-unseen (except for a few promo shots).

Why the double (or triple) standard?

IDW Comics is "rebooting" the Joe franchise, and by and large Joe fans leap for joy and declare it the "best thing ever" sight-unseen.

G.I. Joe Resolute is "rebooting" the Joe franchise, and everyone leaps for joy and declares it the "best thing ever" sight-unseen (or with only a tiny snippet seen).

The Movie is "rebooting" the Joe franchise and everyone declares it crap sight-unseen (except for a few promo shots).

Why the double (or triple) standard?

IDW and Resolute are rebooting GI Joe, but they are doing so in a way that remains faithful to the characters and the premise of the mythology. The movie, from all the information that has been circulated, seems to have borrowed a few names, the broad strokes of the premise, and then compounded it with their own bad ideas and politically correct agenda.

As I posted earlier, I have a source connected with this movie. Here's some of what he's told me:

Spoiler-phobes beware!

1. The movie seems to be almost constant action occasionally interrupted by an unusual number of flashbacks.

2. Early on in the movie, there is a battle in the snow.

3. For the first half of the movie, the Joes wear the black body suits we've seen in the promo shots. Later in the movie, they wear what my source described as "robot suits."

4. Cobra Commander and Destro have very few scenes. Baroness and Stormshadow do most of the bad guys' work.

5. According to the flashbacks, Cobra Commander was a former GI Joe and a friend of Duke's. When a mission goes horribly wrong, CC's is disfigured and he turns against the team ...and apparently decides to take over the world!

6. Cobra Commander is described as wearing a monocle. The lower half of his face is disgustingly disfigured and he keeps is covered by a "cyborg mask."

7. The classic Destro mask is hardly seen at all. My source could only confirm a single scene featuring the mask. It's a flashback to some sort of Spanish Inquisition type of ceremony where Destro or an ancestor of his is given the famous metal mask.

8. Stormshadow hardly wears his white outfit at all.

9. Marlon Wayans is in this A LOT. According to my source, he has a lot of scenes and looks very annoying in them. At one point in the film, he gets arrested while wearing his "robot suit."

10. Brandon Fraser has a cameo in the film in which he shows up on a motorcycle bare-chested sporting a giant tattoo. While my source couldn't say for sure, he did say Fraser looked a lot like what Gung Ho should look like.

11. The GI Joe headquarters features a wall of monitors above which there is a sign that reads "Knowing is half the battle."

12. Towards the end of the movie, Stormshadow guts and kills Hawk.

We've all heard and read a lot of other rumors and stories, but these are the ones I've been able to get confirmed.

IDW and Resolute are rebooting GI Joe, but they are doing so in a way that remains faithful to the characters and the premise of the mythology. The movie, from all the information that has been circulated, seems to have borrowed a few names, the broad strokes of the premise, and then compounded it with their own bad ideas and politically correct agenda.

As I posted earlier, I have a source connected with this movie. Here's some of what he's told me:

Spoiler-phobes beware!

1. The movie seems to be almost constant action occasionally interrupted by an unusual number of flashbacks.

2. Early on in the movie, there is a battle in the snow.

3. For the first half of the movie, the Joes wear the black body suits we've seen in the promo shots. Later in the movie, they wear what my source described as "robot suits."

4. Cobra Commander and Destro have very few scenes. Baroness and Stormshadow do most of the bad guys' work.

5. According to the flashbacks, Cobra Commander was a former GI Joe and a friend of Duke's. When a mission goes horribly wrong, CC's is disfigured and he turns against the team ...and apparently decides to take over the world!

6. Cobra Commander is described as wearing a monocle. The lower half of his face is disgustingly disfigured and he keeps is covered by a "cyborg mask."

7. The classic Destro mask is hardly seen at all. My source could only confirm a single scene featuring the mask. It's a flashback to some sort of Spanish Inquisition type of ceremony where Destro or an ancestor of his is given the famous metal mask.

8. Stormshadow hardly wears his white outfit at all.

9. Marlon Wayans is in this A LOT. According to my source, he has a lot of scenes and looks very annoying in them. At one point in the film, he gets arrested while wearing his "robot suit."

10. Brandon Fraser has a cameo in the film in which he shows up on a motorcycle bare-chested sporting a giant tattoo. While my source couldn't say for sure, he did say Fraser looked a lot like what Gung Ho should look like.

11. The GI Joe headquarters features a wall of monitors above which there is a sign that reads "Knowing is half the battle."

12. Towards the end of the movie, Stormshadow guts and kills Hawk.

We've all heard and read a lot of other rumors and stories, but these are the ones I've been able to get confirmed.

Yeah, I'm best buds with Stephen Sommers and he tells me it's going to be AWESOME! See how easy that is? Nothing you've got there wasn't either A: In spoilers that were already previously available or B: can't be sussed out or guessed at based on promo material, news interviews, and other things we've already seen.

So yeah, I'm taking your "connected to someone in the production" with a gigantic grain of salt. Particularly since anyone that's "connected to the production" that has seen "80 percent of the finished footage" that is telling you the movie will suck? Yeah, he shouldn't be working on the movie to begin with. If you're not enthusiastic about what you're working on, then quit.

I dunno, I guess G.I. Joe isn't the "sacred cow" to me that it is to some of you folks. It's a cartoon/comic book coming to life. Not freakin' Shakespeare. Even Hama's Joe wasn't immune to cheese and occasionally less-than-stellar writing. Many of the changes being made in IDW's reboot and Resolute may not be any more or less drastic from what we see in the movie (since, y'know, we haven't seen them yet). Hell, Ellis is already talking about killing two characters in the first 30 seconds of Resolute. Stalker may be a jive-talking wisecracker in Resolute for all we know. We have no idea how virtually anyone besides Hawk and maybe Duke will be portrayed in IDW (the previews so far haven't exactly given much character insight aside from "generic military badasses" for anyone else). But once again...nothing but love sight-unseen for those. Nothing but hate for the movie.

Seriously, it's like the fanbase suffers from MPD when it comes to what they want. But then again, that's pretty much every fanbase. Just like the Transformers-fanatics, some folks were never going to be satisfied with anything other than a direct live-action translation of their favorite issue of the comic/episode of the toon. Some people just WANT to hate (probably the inherent jealousy of any zealous fanbase that they weren't the ones asked to write, direct, and star in the movie). Some people also seem to presume that their personal interpretation of the "spirit" of G.I. Joe and its' characters is the only "right" one.

What is "faithful to the characters?" Faithful to the Sunbow toon, the DiC Toon, the Marvel comics, the DDP comics, the filecards, the CG straight-to-DVD movies, or Sigma 6? Which one? Most of the characters were presented quite differently across all those media. G.I. Joe characters are already painted in pretty broad strokes to begin with, and there's no "definitive" portrayal of virtually ANY of these characters.

Faithful to the premise? G.I. Joe vs. Cobra is pretty simple. Military fantasy with good guys named G.I. Joe and bad guys (eventually) named Cobra. That's about it. Seems like the movie's doing just fine to me on that score. Everything else is just window dressing.

To throw out a few comparisons: G.I. Joe is not Splinter Cell. G.I. Joe is not Rainbow Six or Call of Duty 4. G.I. Joe is not Metal Gear (though that's getting warmer in terms of tone). G.I. Joe is G.I. Joe, and it was never meant to be that serious to begin with. It was meant to be a franchise for preteens like most 80's properties.

Particularly since anyone that's "connected to the production" that has seen "80 percent of the finished footage" that is telling you the movie will suck? Yeah, he shouldn't be working on the movie to begin with. If you're not enthusiastic about what you're working on, then quit.

Don't even go there with that line of guff, bud. This kind of stuff is just a job to 99% of the people that work on it. There's NOTHING in the contracts for ANY entertainment project that specifies "must be a fan of the property".

Sometimes a project is just crap, sometimes its just not interesting to that person...........but that seldom, if ever, means the person working on it isn't trying to bring something to it with their work.

Particularly since anyone that's "connected to the production" that has seen "80 percent of the finished footage" that is telling you the movie will suck? Yeah, he shouldn't be working on the movie to begin with. If you're not enthusiastic about what you're working on, then quit.

Don't even go there with that line of guff, bud. This kind of stuff is just a job to 99% of the people that work on it. There's NOTHING in the contracts for ANY entertainment project that specifies "must be a fan of the property".

Sometimes a project is just crap, sometimes its just not interesting to that person...........but that seldom, if ever, means the person working on it isn't trying to bring something to it with their work.

I would note: Most people that are seeing "80 percent of the finished footage" are probably pretty "high up" in the production. Even the FX/post production folks are likely only to work on their specific sections/shots and likely have little idea how it's necessarily going to play out in the full, finished movie. I never said anyone had to be a "fan" but it's piss-poor professionalism to be badmouthing your work before the public can see it and decide for themselves. In fact, I'd wager if this "mystery source" that probably doesn't exist's name came out, he'd be fired with a quickness, and with perfectly just cause (since to my knowledge, a lot of people involved with the movie at those kinds of levels also sign Non-Disclosure Agreements).

I also find laughable the notion that a G.I. Joe movie being "mostly all action" is now being touted as a BAD thing?