Would you buy G.I.Joe Universe?

gojira77

So please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that it's general knowledge from all the past Hasbro Q&A's that sometime in the Middle of next year the Modern Era line will phase out to make room on the shelves for a more Movie-centric line with similiar scale and construction, as well as a few Old Skool references thrown in for the fans. OK, then what? After the Movie line has it's customary year-and-a-half-or-so in the sun, the G.I. Joe brand will change course and we'll see if Modern Era comes back in some shape or form, which it most likely will. Well, if you can tell by my avatar, I'm a Transformer fan; as a TF fan I've been through this before with the Classics and now Classics 2.0 in the new TF Universe/ 25th Anniversary Line. The Classic line that I loved so much a couple of years ago is definitely back and as good as ever, but it's also different.

Will the revived Modern Era line follow a similar path? I think that it's likely, in some ways. G.I.Joe got the green-light, even in the middle of a contraversial war, in large part because of the mind-blowing success of Michael Bay's Transformers. Yet while the TF Movie and toyline pushed in the direction of more detail and realism for the alien robots, which in turn seems to have rubbed off on the first couple waves of TFU, the Joe movie appears IMO to head in the opposite direction, away from realistic millitary towards sci fi/ fantasy. I don't think it's too hard to understand why, since summer blockbusters are for escapism, and realistic soldiers hunting shadowy terrorists sounds more like what you find on the six o'clock news these days. So really, I have know idea what the new Joes of 2010 might look like!

One intriguing thing about TFU though is how characters from every era are represented in the same style and scale, so that you can actual pick up a new Cheetor, Targetmaster Cyclonus, and Armada Hotshot at the same time! A Hasbro Q&A (from a competing news site ;)) said that we wouldn't get Extreme or Sigma Six guys in the current Modern Era line, but what about after the hiatus?

Does this sound like a good idea to you? G.I.Joe has been around longer and seen more reinvention than the Transformers-- are there enough good ideas from the past 45 years to justify a 3 3/4" line dedicated to everything? I can just imagine Mercer in his '91 v.2 outfit hanging out with the Adventure Team (who says they all have to be veterans from the US Armed Forces?), or Lt. Stone and G.I. Joe Colton teaming up to take down Cobra La... :)

I think a 'Universe' approach to GI Joe woul be awesome, and everything I would ever want from the franchise... but you have to remember that alot of the 'reinvention' GI Joe has seen over the years is generally reviled by many fans. Valor Vs Venom or Sigma Six? Mega-Marines, Eco Warriors or Battle Corps? International characters and recolors? Sure, we all complain about Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander being inescapable elements of the series, but try to sneak a figure from any of the above mentioned series without first providing people a Recondo, Lowlight or Lamprey. What'll you get? OUTRAGE. I've found that many GI Joe fans have one unifying trait - instead of being happy they got X figure, they flip out because they didn't get Y figure.

I would love a 'Universe' style line, which is to an extent what the modern era is right now. It's not perfect, but there are those elements. Pilot Scarlett is Glenda, that's obvious. Target Battle set Destro is his Action Force counterpart. We're getting Croc Master, Wraith and Matt Trakker out of nowhere. Resolute figures are en route. The natural progression of years has been shaken, and to an extent I'm glad. We are ,if nothing else, predictable. Give us Doctor Mindbender, Ripcord and Iceberg right now, and we'll lose interest in the line and let gems like the Para-Vipers slip by just out of spite. If you've got someone hooked, you don't make them OD. You string them along, getting as much out of them as you can along the way. It's good business, really.

Tom

ou have to remember that alot of the 'reinvention' GI Joe has seen over the years is generally reviled by many fans. Valor Vs Venom or Sigma Six? Mega-Marines, Eco Warriors or Battle Corps?

While that's true, there are gems and cult following figures among them all. Especially Sigma 6.

The Mega Marines Subset may have been dross, with the full-on fluorescent body suits, and the Play-Dough armor... but Mirage and the Cyber Viper have both had better things beyond their inception. Cyber-Viper got a few key scenes in the last days of the Marvel Comic, and Mirgae went to Repaint Valhalla in 2002.

Eco Warrior may be a laugh-at-me brigade, but Cesspool and the Toxo/Sludge/Sub-Viper molds were all winners, and work well as a Cobra subgroup even without garishly outfitted Joes to stop them.

Battle Corps is not reviled, at all. It was the military core of a line slowly falling into sci-fi hell. But Duke 93? Cobra Commander, the second Dr. Mindbender? Fisherman's Leave Bazooka? These are bad figures? Maybe not exactly the classic versions of our favorite Joes, but definitely good toys, and decent alternate outfits for those characters. Tone down the fluorescent colors, and they're all a little slice of heaven.

The new sculpt era is hated for being out-of-proportion, and as Hasbro's nose-dive back into 4" figures after almost a decade of repaints, it suffered from a general lack of direction. But tell me that Snake-Eyes and Duke from Waves 3 & 4 of GvC, and Roadblock from Spytroops arent just as good as any other iincarnation of those characteers, from a design standpoint at least. Overkill got his new and definitive look in Spytroops, and Mindbender got the only truly great costume design he ever had from Valor vs Venom.

In the same timeframe, Devil's Due created new looks and new characters, some of which got pulled into the toyline, like Shipwreck in his sweater and knit cap... a Neo-Classic design if ever I saw one. Kamakura is at least as worthy a new figure as Jinx, Billy, and the Ninja Force. Dreadnok ladies like Heartwrencher and Zanya beg for figures, and Firewall is just a great addition to the pantheon of Joes.

If the Movie means we will see a more Sci-Fi push in Joe toys after the Movie line is done, then a *lot* of Post '85 figures will fit in then when they really don't now. Fast Draw, Super Trooper, Countdown (really any Star Brigade members), Sky Patrol... pretty much any Viper-type post 87...

Even Sigma 6 has it's bright spots. Lt. Stone, Long Range, and new/different outfits for Zartan, Destro, Baroness, etc... Machete's even a decent Dreadnok (by name, anyways)

A Universe line would be a welcome shift from the line we have now. Embracing all eras of Joe... finally the chance to get 4" versions of not only Joe Colton the Green beret, but Eagle Eye, Bulletman and Mike "Atomic Man" Power, maybe even an Intruder, Kwinn, Ghost Bear, Dr. Venom, Baron Ironblood and Black Major, Sgt. Savage and Gen Blitz, May Day, Iron Klaw, Rampage, and Wreckage.

Straight-Edge, I think you could have misinterpreted me - I love those lines I mentioned! I love Iron Klaw, Mayday, Rampage from Extreme, New look Scarlett, Battle Armor Cobra Commander, the 'new' Cobra Trooper from Sigma Six, Red Laser, Blades, Jammer from Action Force. I want other lines brought into the series, like Centurions or COPS. Don't get me started on RAH, as you'll be hard-pressed to dig up a figure I'll dislike, even the 'ugly' stuff. ; )

Like I said, a GI Joe Universe line is brilliant and welcome in MY eyes. But for every one of us, there's those few who whine that Matt Trakker is coming, that Kwinn would have been better than Arctic Snake Eyes, and that it's well past the time we had every single solitary character from 1982 to 1987 in our hands already.

I hope the movie does help Hasbro create some new stuff to add to the old, because as much as I like the old RAH crowd... I kind of already own them.

Tom

PS - I never knew people had an issue with Battle Corps Bazooka until recently... I thought he looked perfect, since most times I see 'special forces' portrayed in film, they're wearing fisherman-style tactical vests.

Like I said, a GI Joe Universe line is brilliant and welcome in MY eyes. But for every one of us, there's those few who whine that Matt Trakker is coming, that Kwinn would have been better than Arctic Snake Eyes, and that it's well past the time we had every single solitary character from 1982 to 1987 in our hands already.

It wouldn't be a GIJOE Universe unless it incorporated 3 3/4" versions of figures/characters from the 12" line.

Personally, I've been trumpeting for such a line for over a decade now, and I'd prefer it included the Adventure Team, Intruders, Bulletman, Mike Power: Atomic Man, Action Man (1996), SuperJoe, the classic military GIJOEs, Sgt. Savage, GIJOE Extreme as well as the RAH era stuff. Sure some of that stuff cane be kind of dopey, but that is where some "re-imagining" can come into play.

Arguably adding in those other undeniable parts of the GIJOE whole would bring some colour, spark, and a greater sense of history to the line.

I think would be an outstanding idea! I'm actually getting bored with most toylines, with the exception of SW and Joes. I like all of your ideas. I'm very nostalgic for a lot of the old-school guys you mentioned ( I wish I still had my old Bullet Man. I loved the hell out of that thing!)

AND it might also explain why I ran around a lot in my underwear while wearing an army helmet when I was younger. :D @loll@

As long as they all stayed in the same sculpting style I would be all for it.

One thing I really want added to everything you guys already listed is some Battle Rangers. If Star Wars can have concept art figures why can't we get some Joes based off of the Battle Ranger drawings and protos.

I would really love to see anythinbg from RAH made still, all subgroups and repaints, even Super Sonic Rock & Roll.

JVC would be great if some things were fixed. My main issue with them was proportions, long legs and gorilla arms with tiny torsos. As long as they are made like the 25th anniversary style they would be way better already. I would also like to see guys with proper facial hair and hair color. Lots of the VV guys especially would look great now.

I want to see anyone that was a new character like Vypra and even guys like Wet Down and White Out only this time a little different from Torpedo and Snow Job. There is no reason why Whiteout can not at least get a new head, especially since Snow Jobs hood is removable.

I am not familiar with the 12" guys ARROW mentioned but I would gladly take them too. I have never had any myself but from pictures I like their looks.

I still want more guys from the cartoons in coats and even the Dreadnoks as Cold Slither.

From the comics I want the Oktober Guard and all the ninja masters plus guys like Coolbreeze and someof the non Joe and Cobra guys.

There are tons of early Devils Due guys I want. Both new and old characters from that.

If Hasbro went with a Universe line they would have enough material for years. The only downside is with all that mixed together it would take longer to get everyone from every one of those lines and subgroups. We would never hear the end of not getting so and so yet.

I kind of like the idea, but I don't like the Transformers approach. I want Hasbro to keep trying to make the MOST ACCURATE POSSIBLE versions of Joes. We've already got them with the best figures, but stuff like Flint V1, most of the original 13, etc. I would be all over the TF line if they were accurate to their G1 forms. Sure they kind of look like them, but that's not what I want, personally. I want them to try harder with characters that weren't really given the full treatment.

And please, no one bother with that "get over the past" crap, it's irrelevant. That's what I want, it has nothing to do with living in the past or whatever pseudo-psychological reason you might think.

Anyway, that being said, I WOULD kind of like to see figures from other GI Joe lines - like the old 12" Action Man stuff, UK Action Force, GI Joe Extreme, whatever. I think that would be pretty cool to see every now and then.

I would think it would be cool if hasbro did the Joes never realeased<ie. Big Lob,Cool breeze, and a few others in like a five pack maybe? I think it would be coolif they didn't want to release 25th new molds they can always go back to the old school format as well. Just a thought since it would be "universe."

This line could go on for years since it would take a while to make every figure we wanted.

Straight-Edge, I think you could have misinterpreted me - I love those lines I mentioned! I love Iron Klaw, Mayday, Rampage from Extreme, New look Scarlett, Battle Armor Cobra Commander, the 'new' Cobra Trooper from Sigma Six, Red Laser, Blades, Jammer from Action Force. I want other lines brought into the series, like Centurions or COPS. Don't get me started on RAH, as you'll be hard-pressed to dig up a figure I'll dislike, even the 'ugly' stuff. ; )

Tom, I can say, with the upmost sincerity, that an actual Modern Era Bullet-Proof patterned after his namesake in COPS w/ trenchcoat and hidden cyborg parts, would be like a Blue Varient Wraith dipped in Chocolate Crack! I would seek out that figure or literally die trying!!

To add to all the other great ideas stated above, I think the loonier ARAH subsets like Cesspool and Headman & his Headhunters could become heavy hitters in a Universe line. And if they could imply a connection in the file cards between Cobra La and the monsters from Mega Marines, Star Brigade, and Valor v. Venom, Globulos could become the Joe-equivalent of Unicron! I'd also take an official figure of "Old Snake" from Season 3 of the Transformers, and better yet, a mysterious Disfigured Nobleman from Cobra La on a mission to infiltrate a human Terrorist organization and impersonate its founder years before the same act would be attempted by a CG named Fred VII!

And please, no one bother with that "get over the past" crap, it's irrelevant. That's what I want, it has nothing to do with living in the past or whatever pseudo-psychological reason you might think.

I certainly don't think anyone suggests that you 'get over the past', because even though we'd like a broader stroke taken to the Modern line, I don't think anyone wants the older figures done 'wrong'. I for one am still a little miffed that the Commando Snake Eyes didn't come with his ridiculous blow-dart gun. I want the RAH inspired figures to be as accurate as possible... but I don't JUST want RAH figures, y'know?

Tom

I'm not a completist so I take each figure according to its own merits. There are characters that I like such as Hawk and Stalker. There are characters whose look I like such as Falcon and Flint. Then there are characters that I reject for whatever reason. (Yeah. That's right 232nd Cobra Commander! I'm looking at you!)

Therefore, I'd be open to a "GI Joe Universe." It all depends what they do with it.

The only thing I'd reject flatly would be anything with the slightest whiff of Cobra-La.

Tom, I can say, with the upmost sincerity, that an actual Modern Era Bullet-Proof patterned after his namesake in COPS w/ trenchcoat and hidden cyborg parts, would be like a Blue Varient Wraith dipped in Chocolate Crack! I would seek out that figure or literally die trying!!

I swear to god, I nearly flipped out when I read this. What an awesome idea! I always hoped that Bulletproof was LITERALLY the same guy as his COPS counterpart, whether pre-surgery or post-surgery that made him a cyborg of justice.

To add to all the other great ideas stated above... Cesspool and Headman & his Headhunters

YES.

Cobra La

YES.

Mega Marines

YES.

Valor v. Venom

YES.

"Old Snake"

LET'S YOU AND ME HANG OUT RIGHT NOW.

Tom

If they did do a Universe line, I would like more 8" Sigma 6 style figures. I collected about 90% of it (since 30% of it was all Duke and Snake Eyes variants <_< ). I would hope that they put out more classic characters, and especially female characters. Here's hoping for Scarlet and Baroness. @bounce@

I certainly don't think anyone suggests that you 'get over the past', because even though we'd like a broader stroke taken to the Modern line, I don't think anyone wants the older figures done 'wrong'. I for one am still a little miffed that the Commando Snake Eyes didn't come with his ridiculous blow-dart gun. I want the RAH inspired figures to be as accurate as possible... but I don't JUST want RAH figures, y'know?

Tom

No, I didn't really expect it from the "old hats" here, but someone else usually brings it up...

Personally, I'd love to see Kamakura or some of the better VVV style figures, and some of the old 12" characters Arrow mentioned sound really cool too. Sigma Six, sure why not? I just want them to keep trying and get the RAH characters perfect, eventually.

I don't think MASK characters really belong... Maybe COPS though. Snake from the TF series would be cool too!

I think we're pretty much on the same page, actually.

Finish off most of the 86' fiogure and they can put in whatever crappy non RAH figures they want. It's hard to imagine anyone wanted the garbage extream characters again, but to each his own.

Just as its hard to believe that some people still prefer pablum...........but they do.

I'm down with this idea! Bring on all Joes from Adventure Team to Sigma 6 in 4" scale.

I brought this idea up over on HissTank a while back, not just a G.I.Joe Universe, but an Ultimate Hasbro Universe. Revamped like the Ultimate Marvel Universe with all Hasbro properties like G.I.Joe, Transformers, MASK, and COPS existing in the same universe.

G.I.Joe is the military force in the universe, and deals with global threats like Cobra.

COPS is the universe's Federal force and deals with domestic threats like the Headman, the Dreadnoks, etc..

MASK is a group created from within G.I.Joe and got it's vehicle transformation technology from the Joes encounter with the Transformers.

Have comic and toy crossovers. Who wouldn't want an Optimus Prime that Clutch could drive, and the trailer can double as a Joe mobile HQ.

Have it set up in a way that those purists that don't want their properties to mix, don't have to.

COPS is the universe's Federal force and deals with domestic threats like the Headman, the Dreadnoks, etc..

MASK is a group created from within G.I.Joe and got it's vehicle transformation technology from the Joes encounter with the Transformers.

I like both of those ideas. Bring on the M.A.S.K. toys!!!

Finish off most of the 86' fiogure and they can put in whatever crappy non RAH figures they want. It's hard to imagine anyone wanted the garbage extream characters again, but to each his own.

How where the CHARACTERS garbage? The toyline may have been but the characters?

To a certain extent, I think the line already IS a Universe line. I mean, we're getting a mix of classic, JvC/ST/VvV, international, and even a few original characters (Wraith)... and Matt freakin' Trakker! I believe there's an "Iron Klaw Trooper" on one of the Wal-Mart lists.

I see what you guys are getting at... but I also think the line's already headed there.

The Mega Marines Subset may have been dross, with the full-on fluorescent body suits, and the Play-Dough armor... but Mirage and the Cyber Viper have both had better things beyond their inception. Cyber-Viper got a few key scenes in the last days of the Marvel Comic, and Mirgae went to Repaint Valhalla in 2002.

I love the Mega-marines, but I'll also be the first to admit that the neon armor and Play-Doh are not what I see as part of the charm.

Oh, the things they could do with them in the new line... *drool*

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this, but I'd probably prefer RAH and possibly movie-inspired stuff and be rather picky about what I picked up from "other" eras.

Truth be told, I strongly suspect that the line will simply include RAH/Classic and Movie themed stuff once it shifts away from "Movie Only." I'd be really surprised to see Extreme or even Sigma 6 stuff popping up anytime soon.

Of course, this is all not including the possibility that there might well be a new, regular-series animated project in the works to tie in with the movie. Not "Resolute" but a regular cartoon series. If that were to happen, we might see an "animated" line (not necessarily in looks, but in terms of character selection, etc...) either as part of or alongside the "classic/movie hybrid line." Kind of like Star Wars with its' "Legacy" collection vs. its' "Clone Wars" collection. Or Transformers with "Universe" vs. "Animated."