Has The Slumping Economy Put A Hurting On The Scalper

lldjslim

We all know about americas financial crisis, w/ all these falling stock prices, banks going bankrupt, and the $700Billion dollar bail out which is going to hurt the taxpayer.

The reason I ask this, is because I went into Wal-mart today at around 4:00pm and proceded to the toys.

I was shock, I saw the Firebat, cobra fang and claw pack, and the awe stricker w/ leatherneck and I looked at there comic book packs and happend to find a black head destro varient, was this all a dream.

Because, I was suprised to see these at wal-mart especially at that time of day, because usally when I go to wal-mart all I find is peg warmers which I did, revision wave single packs still warming the pegs, but I scored the new vehicles and the black head destro variant.

So I was wondering why havent a scalper came along and scalped them up already.

My guess is they don't have any money, the scalpers mastercard is probably drained all out and know one buying the way the economy is people are losing money.

So I say this is good news for the collector, because the scalpers are not making any money right now because know one is paying the high prices they are asking. Except for suckers who are paying over $100.00+ Wraith variant which in my book is not worth it and is way overly hyped.

So the slumping economy has helped the collector find what he is looking for for right now and not having to worry about scalpers buying it all up.

Take advantage of it.

I'm sure that there are many contributing factors. The economy being one, however if a scalper makes his "living" from this, it won't affect him.

In regards to Joes, I think that the shine has finally worn off. Outside of the crazy variants, and the new "gotta have it now" items, most older stuff is not moving for more than retail. There is an abundance of items and some stuff has now gone into the "meh" category. We all were craving the new vehicles, but now, at least in Toronto, such a large supply of the HISS and Armadillo/Chariot have shown up, that I can find them at any retail in multiples.

Look at Ebay. Most figures are not selling for more than retail outside of harder to find figures. Pretty much anything outside of the "cool" figures (SE, SS v1, Flint) are not selling for even retail. Vehicles are the same. Collectors, for the most part, have gotten their fill and don't need to go hunting or paying for items.

Ask yourself this. Would you pay more than retail for more than 10% of the current release of 25th product? Again, outside of variants I don't see the need to rush out and pay for something that will be plentiful, or clogging shelves later.

In regards to Joes, I think that the shine has finally worn off. Outside of the crazy variants, and the new "gotta have it now" items, most older stuff is not moving for more than retail. There is an abundance of items and some stuff has now gone into the "meh" category. We all were craving the new vehicles, but now, at least in Toronto, such a large supply of the HISS and Armadillo/Chariot have shown up, that I can find them at any retail in multiples.

Not to get off-topic, but this is the same in the Halifax area. What is with Canada only getting these, and not any VAMPs or Trubble Bubble packs?

I think so. It's really easy to find things that I want now. I'm really happy about all of the sales and whatnot that has been going on (clearance galore in my area). I think the scalpers are feeling the ebay hurt right now and everyone benefits. But Speed Racer is still clogging the aisles (even after being put on clearance for $1 at Walmart!)

Not to get off-topic, but this is the same in the Halifax area. What is with Canada only getting these, and not any VAMPs or Trubble Bubble packs?

That's because someone at Hasbro, or Hasbro Canada, had the bright idea that wave one for Canada would only be the HISS and Armadillo/chariot and took out the Vamp and RAM/Trouble Bubble. The first sightings were like the figures, cases diverted to Canada from the US. Now it is specifically cases for Canada.

Look at Ebay. Most figures are not selling for more than retail outside of harder to find figures. Pretty much anything outside of the "cool" figures (SE, SS v1, Flint) are not selling for even retail. Vehicles are the same. Collectors, for the most part, have gotten their fill and don't need to go hunting or paying for items.

I still can't understand why people would go out of their way to get those figures-- especially that sucky Flint with the bad hands and poorly painted face. The Tiger Force one is Soooo much better and I'm sure that they'll get around eventually to painting TF Flint's shirt black for the die hards. And SS was available in the 5 packs, for crying-out-loud! IMO it's better to get a good figure than the "right" color shirt, which is why I only have the CP Shipwreck until a truely better one comes along. :)

I was shock, I saw the Firebat, cobra fang and claw pack, and the awe stricker w/ leatherneck and I looked at there comic book packs and happend to find a black head destro varient, was this all a dream.

Theres a Variant Destro figure in a comic pack???

So I was wondering why havent a scalper came along and scalped them up already.

My guess is they don't have any money, the scalpers mastercard is probably drained all out and know one buying the way the economy is people are losing money.

I think it's amusing that every time someone complains about not being able to find something, or in this case the ability to find something, it is because of the dreaded scalper. The scourge of the toy aisle!

Y'know there are other collectors out there that may be buying up the toys you're looking for, or even...GASP...children. Y'know, kids, whom the market is geared towards.

I think it's amusing that every time someone complains about not being able to find something, or in this case the ability to find something, it is because of the dreaded scalper. The scourge of the toy aisle!

Y'know there are other collectors out there that may be buying up the toys you're looking for, or even...GASP...children. Y'know, kids, whom the market is geared towards.

I just ran into a collector when I did my daily lunchtime walk to Wal Mart.

He was thrilled to see all of the Joe repacks too.

I do know of 3 local scalpers that still hit almost every store every day though.

yeah, your right, gas is going down. I guess if you're a scalper all you probably do all day is drive around to stores anyway. You better make sure it's worth your while :)

One of the guys I know does just that. In the morning he drives from store to store and by noon he is pretty much finished.

He owns his own company so he has all the time he wants at his disposal..

Must be nice..