The Red, White, and.....purple?

Darklon

Hey guys, question for everyone. I just got in my DVD packs a few min ago, and was kinda suprised. First thing I noticed is that the cloth on dusty's helmet is actually not that brown. It's just more of a muted purple. This struck me as odd but I figured "oh well, not a biggie." Then I noticed my snake eyes. I always assumed he was going to be black but alas, he is actually a metallic purple, with violet accents. Now I am talking easter purple violet accents. Even his grenades, are violet. There is nothing wrong with the color purple but I never saw it as a particularly camo special forces type of color. anyone else got there yet and noticed this or am I the only one? #US1#

Don't judge it by realistic standards, Snake-Eyes is meant to be cartoon-accurate, that being in order to approximate his black outfit without having him blend into the shadows, the animators frequently colored him gray or purple, depending on the lighting.

So yeah, we got a better V2 Snake-Eyes mold, but in cartoon colors. He joins Tiger Force Duke and Flint in the ever-rowing list of figures who got shafted initially, then when the mold was fixed were released in repaint color schemes instead of the original.

Personally, I'm hoping the Flint, Snake-Eyes, and Lady jaye in the upcoming 5-pack are the updated/fixed molds in their original toy colors. In fact, I demand it!

Well I say nay. Hopefully all five of those figures are straight reissues and I can just skip it. I don't want to buy four figures I have no interest in for one Flint with gloves. I'm getting pretty tired of Hasbro shoe-horning figures they know everyone will want into a box full of repaints (Alpine, Dusty, Quick Kick, Short Fuze, corrected Major Bludd). While I understand the reissues are nesscessary for new collectors, it's pretty unfair to force them in mass quantinties on those who've been collecting since the beginning. If they must do it they should release them on single cards or in comic packs. Makes it much easier for everyone. A lot more economical too.

Don't judge it by realistic standards, Snake-Eyes is meant to be cartoon-accurate, that being in order to approximate his black outfit without having him blend into the shadows, the animators frequently colored him gray or purple, depending on the lighting.

So yeah, we got a better V2 Snake-Eyes mold, but in cartoon colors. He joins Tiger Force Duke and Flint in the ever-rowing list of figures who got shafted initially, then when the mold was fixed were released in repaint color schemes instead of the original.

Personally, I'm hoping the Flint, Snake-Eyes, and Lady jaye in the upcoming 5-pack are the updated/fixed molds in their original toy colors. In fact, I demand it!

As much as I sympathize with those fans out there who do not yet have a 25th A. update of their childhood favorite characters, at least they can look on the bright side that those particular favs weren't in either the initial 5-packs or Wave 1 of the singles. Was there any figure in those first 15 or so , besides maybe Stormshadow, who wasn't screwed up in some way? SE got off easy with a wide crotch and being the wrong color! I'm just amazed at how much the quality of the line has improved over the last year.

I recall Snake Eyes' cartoon color being that of a navy blue or gray/blue-dark slate instead of violet. Not that I'm complaning too much as I find it to be a fine figure regardless and am enjoying the cartoon renvisioning, but it would have been better in a dark blue. I'm sure we have a black Snake Eyes to look forward to down the line as he is easily one of the most repacked, repainted figures so I'm not worried about it.

I wish the original ARAH line was sculpted and colored like it's cartoon counterparts. I remember wishing Duke had the rd on his shoulders, Flint was green, Lady Jaye didn't have a hat, Cobra Commander had longer gloves, Destro had green eyes and his silver gloves/gauntlets and so forth. Not that I don't love what we have gotten, but as a kid I was picky and wondered why they never quite looked the same even though they were easily identifiable.

As for the new omic packs, I got mine the other day and couldn't be happier. True there are newer figures I would like to have made, such as ANY we haven't seen yet but this is a good wave. I could do without the skeleton preferring to get another figure but, meh... The BAT is sweet, Serpentor is freaking awsome (even though his colors and sculpt are off - still reminicent of the orig) Snake Eyes is great..weird hands, but great. Bludd is excellent, even though I needed to rework his dog tags. Quick kick will need some eye customizing and perhaps some paint on the inside of his crotch area to cover up the flesh tone inside his drawers, but a minor fix.

All in all I really like this wave and all the DVD packs in general. I know there are nay sayers out there preferring all new figures, but I hope these keep coming and I look forward to the next batch.

...And not to get too into detail, but wasn't Dusty's last name in the cartoon Rudat? His nakeplate says Tadur on the figure. I know it's Tadur on his card and in the comics, but I could have sworn that he was Rudat in the toons...I can clearly hear Zartan calling him Rudat... Of course it's been 20 years since I've seen the cartoons but still...

Just saying that if Hasbro is going for cartoon accurate, they missed it on Dusty.

Violet highlights on SE, eh?

Awesome. We are one step closer to Night Vulture.

I second that 5 pack demand.

THIS WE DEMAND!

...nah, just doesn't have the same ring to it.

SE got off easy with a wide crotch and being the wrong color!

Am I just not picky enough or something? Everyone keeps talking about how SE was the 'wrong color'. Personally, the difference between black and dark gray is less than nothing. In fact, I kinda prefer the dark gray SE, as I think it shows the details better.

It's a personal choice, and with both being out there, it's a choice everyone can make for themselves, so I guess it all works out regardless... but it's still a complaint that I just don't get.

I would prefer Snake Eyes in black, but I don't have a problem with the Gray version. Gray Destro on the other hand...

...And not to get too into detail, but wasn't Dusty's last name in the cartoon Rudat? His nakeplate says Tadur on the figure. I know it's Tadur on his card and in the comics, but I could have sworn that he was Rudat in the toons...I can clearly hear Zartan calling him Rudat... Of course it's been 20 years since I've seen the cartoons but still...

Just saying that if Hasbro is going for cartoon accurate, they missed it on Dusty.

To the very best of my knowledge, his last name was Tadur in the toon as well. If I can find any evidence, I'll bring it up.

He is indeed called 'Ronald Rudat' in the 2-part 'The Traitor'. Nothing I've read gives any reason why his name was reversed. Or for that matter, why his own mother refers to him as 'Dusty'. Or why Hector Ramirez is blabbing a supposedly secret identity all over the news.

Then again, it was common/ridiculous practice for family members to refer to the Joes by their codename (Flint's Vacation). It was also common practice to claim that the codename practice was a secret identity/family protection thing in one episode (Captives of Cobra), but a few episodes later, have Cobra simply know the real names of the Joes and where to find their families with absolutely no explanation or even mild concern about it (The Traitor, Skeletons in the Closet).

The very idea of nametags on the Joes is pretty questionable to me regardless. It's not like anyone in the organization will confuse Hawk or Dusty with too many others, and those outside the organization would likely be given the code name rather than the real one.

He is indeed called 'Ronald Rudat' in the 2-part 'The Traitor'. Nothing I've read gives any reason why his name was reversed. Or for that matter, why his own mother refers to him as 'Dusty'. Or why Hector Ramirez is blabbing a supposedly secret identity all over the news.

Thanks 8 Ball.

I think "Rudat" was a Hasbro employee... if I remember correctly

That's the story. They reversed it for Dusty's name, then reversed it back for whatever reason on the show.

To be honest, I prefer Rudat. Tadur just seems like it would come with another callsign other than 'Dusty'.... I think it's be more like "French Fried" or "Mashed" or "Tot"

Wait - the DVD Snake Eyes is a new mold?