One Good Thing About the New Movie:

gojira77

I would imagine it would be a new mold given that Hasbro will try to wow consumers with thier new line. Given the success of the current 25th line, it only stands to reason that we will see some new and improved figures.....Figures which will undoubtedly use their mold for future movie/25th figures, but new initially nonetheless.

And even if they do reuse Baroness' old mold, so what? It would be nice to get my mitts on another one. I know there have been some fans out there who misse dout on her initial run so this could work out for them.

It will be the current 25th mold with a new head.

Or the old mold with an old head. The original 25th release in black body with the animated version sans green glasses head. The green glasses painted to match the movie.

I'd still by it, it'd be a cool figure.

I don't deny some parts re-use, perhaps with the arms or upper legs, but the Battle-Pack Baroness is just too specific w/o much customizing potential. They clearly weren't thinking long term back then. I foresee a better female mold with different molded lines, w/ added straps just like the better Modern Era figures. That is IF Hasbro truely is diverting their best effort into the movie line, as they've implied in Q&As, and not trying to whip something out cheap like the old Street Fighter figs.

I'm with Goji on this one - I think the movie line will really be something to remember. If I'm proven wrong, then I'll accept that... but some of the designs (General Hawk, Covergirl, Snake Eyes and Baroness) are awesome, and I even like the more outlandish looks of Breaker, Duke, Scarlett and the mysterious black-suited Cobra trooper picture that was leaked some weeks ago.

Granted, it will not be a perfect recreation of the 80s film. I doubt I'll even really enjoy the movie when it debuts (I hated the Transformers movie after everyone said once you see it you'll love it) but the toys? I can't wait.

Tom

For the most part movie figures generally suck big time.............when compared to the regular figures of the property they are based off of. Some of TDK stuff has been a little better.....with the movie masters line but still.......they usually suck and clog toy aisles for years.

Will GI Joe be any different.........it remains to be seen.....but I'm not holding my breath. You might as well go get those Shield figures from the Hulk movie figures......cause all the Joes will be in black outfits with no individual traits whatsoever. Lame.......

I don't think Hasbro will cheap out on the movie line, but we'll see.

I think part of the reason Hasbro is reusing so many parts is because they're trying to get as much stuff out there as they can quickly. I don't think it's so much that they're being cheap - probably a lot of research and development is going into the movie line right now.

For the most part movie figures generally suck big time.............

Oh, I don't know...Hasbro puts some decent effort into this little line called Star Wars, and the entire line itself is built around the movies but lets keep that on the downlow.

Not to mention their Indy line, pretty nice representations of the characters/actors there. I get what you're saying, though. The majority of movie-license lines are pretty much fail, but I'll give Hasbro credit where its due. While the movie is shaping up to be a massive disappointment, I'm willing to bet the figures will be top notch.

Oh, I don't know...Hasbro puts some decent effort into this little line called Star Wars, and the entire line itself is built around the movies but lets keep that on the downlow.

Not to mention their Indy line, pretty nice representations of the characters/actors there. I get what you're saying, though. The majority of movie-license lines are pretty much fail, but I'll give Hasbro credit where its due. While the movie is shaping up to be a massive disappointment, I'm willing to bet the figures will be top notch.

True......you know when I typed my last reply I knew someone was going to bring up Star Wars.....they were the first movie figures for the most part and in some way did lend a hand to the GI Joe we know and love being created. I was talking about Superman Returns, Spidey 3, X-men figures, some Batman stuff.........IMO those are just some examples of sucky movie figures. I wasn't a big fan of the Indy line either........I don't know why so many people liked them that much.....maybe cause they wanted something Indy figure wise for so long anything would have been good. (looking back I was the same way with JvC)

True......you know when I typed my last reply I knew someone was going to bring up Star Wars.....they were the first movie figures for the most part and in some way did lend a hand to the GI Joe we know and love being created. I was talking about Superman Returns, Spidey 3, X-men figures, some Batman stuff.........IMO those are just some examples of sucky movie figures. I wasn't a big fan of the Indy line either........I don't know why so many people liked them that much.....maybe cause they wanted something Indy figure wise for so long anything would have been good. (looking back I was the same way with JvC)

One of the reasons those suckier movie lines did bad was because of them being made by Toybiz and Mattel. I don't think Toybiz and Mattel have ever done a good job on their movie toys.

Toybiz was pretty good with the regular Marvel Legends but the Spider-Man, X-Men, FF and Hulk toys did bad. Or at least looked like they did bad to us anyway. I don't know about how good or bad they looked to the retailers.

Mattel has kind of flopped before with Batman and Superman before and they seem to kind of hit or miss with their movie toys.

That is another problem. Retailers go nuts and way overboard with the movie lines with overstocking them. Even Star Wars Ep1 was overstocked the same way but Hasbro has since put a limit on the movie product to keep that from happening. Stores still get to order more than usual but not at the scale of Ep1.

I they did pretty well with the Transformers movie toys. They did not seem to pegwarm as bad as other movie toys and they were decent as far as Transformer toys go too.

Hasbro looks like they are doing alittle better than Toybiz in the movie toys in some places. The Hulk and Ironman toys don't seem as out of control and the Toybiz movie stuff was. The only real issue with them was the scale of some figures.

I think if Hasbro makes the GI Joe movie figures with the same 25th Ann style they will be pretty good. They have said that most of their designers are focused on that too so we know there is going to be a good ammount of new sculpts.

It's kind of silly to assume Hasbro will reuse parts in excess for the Movie toyline. This is going to be a cash cow for them, if it goes well. From almost any perspective - business, fan response, industry standards and procedures - it makes almost no sense to see a ton of old parts. If they do, Mattel and Toybiz will make fun of Hasbro at their business conventions for not making anything new for their big-deal movie.

The Transformers movie toyline was 100% new. Only in later waves to support the line did elements from Cybertron or Energon work their way back in. So will it be with the movie, I'm sure. Initially, 100% movie focus, eventually letting a few repaints/repacks squirm in, ultimately returning to a focus on the classic RAH line.

MARK MY WORDS.

Tom

It's kind of silly to assume Hasbro will reuse parts in excess for the Movie toyline. This is going to be a cash cow for them, if it goes well. From almost any perspective - business, fan response, industry standards and procedures - it makes almost no sense to see a ton of old parts. If they do, Mattel and Toybiz will make fun of Hasbro at their business conventions for not making anything new for their big-deal movie.

The Transformers movie toyline was 100% new. Only in later waves to support the line did elements from Cybertron or Energon work their way back in. So will it be with the movie, I'm sure. Initially, 100% movie focus, eventually letting a few repaints/repacks squirm in, ultimately returning to a focus on the classic RAH line.

MARK MY WORDS.

Tom

Agreed 100%

The Movie line stuff will be above PAR on awesomeness. Think of it as the Clone Wars/Legacy line.

minus the cartoon appearence, same figure structure and designs based off the current line.

Only bad parts will be probably alot of missle firing rockets and extra "action" accesories.

I know the vehicles from this and Resolute will be stunning though.

I dont think ill enjoy the movie, but the toyline should be exremely rewarding.

MARK MY WORDS.

Tom

True, I can see that. So is it safe to say there will be a "joe Universe" line as well?

MARK MY WORDS.

Tom

True, I can see that. So is it safe to say there will be a "joe Universe" line as well?

I think that could be really cool, considering that G.I. Joe has been around longer and had a richer history than even the Transformers. Using the same scale, with hopefully (cross your fingers) all the kinks in the articulation worked out, could you imagine a line where you can find Globulus and the Cobra La Guard next to Joe Colton and Jane, as well as newer folks like Agent Bombstrike and Lt. Stone? It would be like a collector's buffet! I only hope that they would use the new Dusty body (his waist swivels!) to give us a proper Desert Storm Duke w/ either sculpted or painted on dog tags!

I hope you were being sarcastic. other than being black, the outfits aren't similar at all. Hasbro is banking on this line to reestablish the Joe brand to what it was in the 80's (and contrary to collector belief, even though the 25th line is a hit with us, it doesn't have the consumer reach that the brand did in the 80's -- it needs kids!). I hardly doubt they are simply going to use old molds and hope kids don't notice the difference from what they saw on screen.