Batman's Sidekick Robin Gets His Own TV Show

JayC

I like Robin, but I'm a little skeptical about a pre-Batman Robin. I'm not sure what the appeal of an acrobat and his family is. Guess I'll wait and see.

And I see they'll call him "DJ" instead of his real name because we're much too immature as a society to accept the latter as someone's name without giggling. Did they make up a middle name/initial just so they could call him something other than his real name?

* Edit - I read somewhere that his middle initial is J, so at least they didn't make anything up. I just think they're incorrect in assuming DJ is better than Dick or Rich.

SO this is a show about the sidekick before he becomes the sidekicks? I assume this show is goin to be another smallville whereas it is a Dick Grayson before he finds his potential. I mean, I think it would be a show of him just solving crime with his peers while at night he does acrobatics.

I like Robin, but I'm a little skeptical about a pre-Batman Robin. I'm not sure what the appeal of an acrobat and his family is. Guess I'll wait and see.

And I see they'll call him "DJ" instead of his real name because we're much too immature as a society to accept the latter as someone's name without giggling. Did they make up a middle name/initial just so they could call him something other than his real name?

I can see Dj being used as an innenudo, but I strongly think the nickname is there for the Dawson's creek demographics especially since the series is goin to be on the CW and the description appears to be a teen drama like Smallville. That is just me guessin, though

Fantastic, not only is the premise ridiculously mundane but they've got McG's workshop driving the effort? McG? The no-name hack who we can thank for atrocities like Fast Lane, The OC and several craptastic music videos? The very same McG who's about to put the final nail in the Terminator coffin?

Awesome, just awesome. Maybe Wonderland can produce more hits like Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle only with an acrobatic crime-fighting twist!

Where's my scotch, I need a drink.

After doing some thinking, I've decided this can work if they do it right. After all, a young Clark Kent as we knew him at first glance didn't sound too appealing, but Smallville is one of my favorite shows, so if done correctly, I think The Graysons might be pretty sweet.

Oh boy another version of that crappy Smallville

It will take him forever to be Robin and he will possibly be in his thirties before they decide to kill his family off

@loll@ But seriously, of all the other interesting DC characters why a prequel Robin? why not a prequel Batman?

atleast that would be far more interesting as he travels the world and learns various disciplines. How can you possibly make

a show about a kid who travels with a circus that interesting and compelling and like Wheeljack said, if its anything like Smallville

Grayson will have a full grown beard by the time Wayne adopts him.

My guess is Batman and Bruce Wayne are off-limits because of the films. They don't want him showing up in another medium and ruining perceptions of the movie Batman. They almost didn't even want him in the Justice League movie because of that kind of thing.

Wasn't Dick like 8-10 (depending on the reboot) when he became Robin? How do you get a teenage show out of him without him being Robin?

If you take him too old (Chris O'Donnell) then you start to wonder why/how he would ever be Bruce Wayne's 'young ward'. There's no reason for Bruce to take him in if he's already an adult or very close to it.

Wasn't Dick like 8-10 (depending on the reboot) when he became Robin? How do you get a teenage show out of him without him being Robin?

If you take him too old (Chris O'Donnell) then you start to wonder why/how he would ever be Bruce Wayne's 'young ward'. There's no reason for Bruce to take him in if he's already an adult or very close to it.

Obviously there are some logistical problems with a series like this, but based on how they handled Smallville, I think they'll take some similar creative liberties to make it work.

I almost have to wonder if they won't do even more drastic origin tinkering than they did with Smallville.

Because let's face it: The Circus just isn't a big deal anymore. Most kids/teens these days have probably never been to one. Making the kid a circus acrobat might well leave people scratching their heads. Heck, I think most people would identify/recognize a Cirque du Soleil type performer more than a traditional Circus Acrobat at this point.

I also just...don't see the hook. Young circus acrobat wanders the country with his family and fights crime before officially becoming a crimefighter? I dunno....

I think it's going to take a hell of a lot of tweaking to work. Not impossible, but it's likely to be...weird.

Oh boy another version of that crappy Smallville

It will take him forever to be Robin and he will possibly be in his thirties before they decide to kill his family off

And we thought Burt Ward looked ridiculous in those tights and green trunks! @loll@

Seriously, if they wanted another teen drama why not a young Barbara Gordon before she went to live with her single cop dad in Gotham. It could take place in Jim's old hometown of Chicago and have a smart, beautiful, and troubled teen solve crimes and get in trouble at school for kicking guy's asses. Get me the CW, quick!

The ghastly thought which just crossed my mind is that somehow, some way, this turd will become the first live action appearance of Slade "Deathstroke" Wilson. Dear God, can you harpoon a man's dignity anymore than that?

On the infinitesimal chance that whatever producers responsible for this travesty peruse the insanity that is ToyNewsIntl, please sirs, PLEASE DO NOT sully the Terminator's reputation by having him appear in this in any way shape or form.

I will walk down to Greg Noveck's office right now if I have to.

Because let's face it: The Circus just isn't a big deal anymore. Most kids/teens these days have probably never been to one. Making the kid a circus acrobat might well leave people scratching their heads. Heck, I think most people would identify/recognize a Cirque du Soleil type performer more than a traditional Circus Acrobat at this point.

I also just...don't see the hook. Young circus acrobat wanders the country with his family and fights crime before officially becoming a crimefighter? I dunno....

I think it's going to take a hell of a lot of tweaking to work. Not impossible, but it's likely to be...weird.

I'm wondering has the circus ever really been a big deal. I mean the concept of a circus isn't technically that dated and since Batman is technically

suppose to be timeless it wouldn't really apply to our reality. I just don't see how this show can really work given Grayson's simple background and

even if they made him older the show could only last for a few seasons, its not like they can drag it out like they did Smallville.

They did this already guys... it was called teen titian's ! while it did focus on other characters the odd time it was pretty much all robin!

Pan08.jpg

Really they are dropping the ball on this one ... they should have waited until they had a bat man/jlu or what not cartoon out again and then do this spin off series into the robin cartoon! That way they could even get in guest stars from the other series with out it seeming like lame drop ins as it will now by it self

Seriously, if they wanted another teen drama why not a young Barbara Gordon before she went to live with her single cop dad in Gotham. It could take place in Jim's old hometown of Chicago and have a smart, beautiful, and troubled teen solve crimes and get in trouble at school for kicking guy's asses. Get me the CW, quick!

Kind of a Nancy Drew-meets-Buffy thing... Sweet.

No joke here. None at all. If it were done well, I'd totally watch.

I'm at a loss. I usually detest nay sayers but I have to wholly agree with all the hate in this post. Richard "Dick" John Grayson is a great DC character who deserves to have his story told in a mature way. Not in a tween CW, the Hills, the OC, 90210 sort of way. Smallville may have been entertaining to some but it destroyed the origin of one of Comics most iconic heroes. Granted the boyscout schtick may be old, but Superman was the first to embody it.

I will not watch "DJ" unless it follows close to - pr as close to as possible - his true origin. Otherwise he's just another victim of a studio trying to appeal to a younger audience by ruining one of it's most beloved characters.

Balls.

what will they show? a boy swinging around with his parents in a circus? i dont know if there is enough backround storys to tell. oh wait maybe the show just lasts one season and then in the end you see christian bale as bruce wayne taking over the boy and thats how they introduce robin into the movie franchise without going into the whole story in the third movie. i would love that if done correctly. but then batman is better alone in the movie. specialy nolans version.

On second thought, this could work... If only they could get Frank Miller to write the thing with all the gusto he put into All-Star Batman and Robin! "He's a strong boy. Strong boy. Real strong." It'd be an instant television classic, I tell you! @loll@

but based on how they handled Smallville, I think they'll take some similar creative liberties to make it work.

Oh good, I was afraid it would end up like that turd Smallville.......wait a cotton pickin' minute! Some of you want that? @loll@

Why is god's name would anyone want another Smallville? One show about a teenage superhero that never officially become a superhero and takes a big dump on continuity isn't enough? You really want a show about Robin who never actually becomes Robin? Um, why?

but based on how they handled Smallville, I think they'll take some similar creative liberties to make it work.

Oh good, I was afraid it would end up like that turd Smallville.......wait a cotton pickin' minute! Some of you want that? @loll@

Why is god's name would anyone want another Smallville? One show about a teenage superhero that never officially become a superhero and takes a big dump on continuity isn't enough? You really want a show about Robin who never actually becomes Robin? Um, why?

There are all kinds out there

I literally hate Smallville