1. 1. Which Batman do you like most?

• Tim Burton Movies
    • Joel Schumacher Movies
    • Batman Begins/TDK
    • BTAS/TNBA/JL/JLU
    • The Batman
    • Adam West TV Series

The Bat-tusi still makes me cringe

But...........trust me..............its still a staple within the seductive arts.

Dance like that for your woman and she will beg for you. Beg, I say.

@loll@

The Bat-tusi still makes me cringe

But...........trust me..............its still a staple within the seductive arts.

Dance like that for your woman and she will beg for you. Beg, I say.

@loll@

She'll beg for it to stop

right before she spews

I had to check this topic just to see how big a range the posts were taking. There have been at least as many variations of Batman in his own comic books over the years (not to mention how he's been depicted in team books like JLA), as there has been in TV shows and movies. Like Will Eisner said comics don't function the same way as films, but I think most people would agree that comic book characters in general are easier to adapt to animation. Batman, like animation, is naturally a bit bolder and bigger than life. I therefore don't think it's fair to compair a great cartoon about a comic book superhero to a great movie with the same character. I mean, a relatvely 'dark' character like Wolverine can run around in comics and cartoons in bright yellow tights and still be taken seriously! What feels gritty and familiar and thus 'believable' in one medium needs to be adapted to convey a similiar feeling in another.

TAS was great because it was the first time outside of comics that real fans who grew up with the character had the artistic freedom to truely do him justice. They also had incredibly good timing, attempting an unconventional and expensive animated series after Tim Burton proved that a darker Batman can create a sea of cash! Considering Nolan's limitations, which were probably greater for Batman Begins, a think the last two films were very faithful and DK was excellent.

Not really. It is noted in almost every review of the film and mocked constantly. Instead of sounding cold and confident, Batman sounds like Bob Seger singing. Kind of ridiculous.

Like I said, thats subjective. Some people like the voice, others do not.

I know there are more skills on display in TDK, but Batman is still mostly reactionary instead of proactive. He should be on par with a Sherlock Holmes, but Batman doesn't possess that kind of skill in the movies. He acts more like James Bond

There's a fine balance between the two. People already complained that Begins didn't have enough action, taking a direct Holmes approach wouldn't have been much better. The idea is

to cater to the general masses, not exclusively the Batman fans. And Nolan IMO struck a very good balance and blend.

Wow, nice one. Why bother reading what I wrote when it is better to just react to it? I said, in my opinion, the movies handle several characters better than the series. Batman isn't one of them. And I am saying take the first episode of the cartoon and put it's interpretation of Batman against the movie. It is better, hands down.

Thank you. I did read your response, and I responded accordingly. And if you want to say "in my opinion" that fine, but when said that believing Nolan's Batman is the best depiction was

silly, it sounded as if you was kinda infringing on other people's opinions. Personally I don't think the first TAS episode defined Batman, it was how the series progressed, as we got to learn

more about the character, thats when things started to take shape.

Using your argument, the movie Batman is automatically worse because he's not as flushed out as the cartoon. I never said that. I am taking them on what they are, how they act, etc. Cartoon Batman is better.

If that is what you got from my argument, you clearly didn't understand it. Given the very limited time Nolan had to establish a story and get us to like and relate to Wayne while still keeping

true to the character, Nolan did a fine job. Its alot easier to do it in a series, it can be harder in a 2 hour film. I would be silly and unfair to think Nolan can do more with Batman

in 2 films than an animated show with 4 seasons, 3 spin-off and 3-4 animated features. Batman TAS as well as Kevin Conroy are cemented in our minds as one of the ultimate adaptations,

because most of us no doubt grew up on that show.

Ridiculous. The essense of the Batman character is that he is one of the most skilled people in the world. He attacks from the shadows. Villians aren't supposed to get a shot at him. He would have them disarmed before they ever saw him. He wears some kevlar in the comics, but not enough to limit his martial art skills. Movie Batman is wearing pounds of rubber. He couldn't even move his head in the first movie.

No its not ridiculous. And while Batman is known for striking in the shadows, he doesn't always do this. Even in TAS you see him facing off against enemies face to face, fist to fist.

As a matter of fact in TAS Batman was caught numerous times by various rogues, so he clearly wasn't striking as stealthy as you seem to imply, even within the comics he confronts

many villains and thus which is why it makes sense for him to have armor in both the films and comics. And while you want to criticize the fact that he couldn't move his head, you're

willing to ignore the fact that he did strike in the shadows in BB. And like I said in my last post, his new suit allowed him to have more movement in his head and gave him more

mobility, he still needs some practical protection. So regardless of the fact that he is the most skilled people in the world, one foe that gets lucky, all the skill in the world don't mean a thing.

That is what people are arguing about his use of tech. A lot of the stuff we see him using in the movies he just wouldn't need in the comics because he is far more skilled physically.

What does he exactly use in the film that he hasn't in some way used in other mediums? He has his utility belt, grapple gun, batrangs, mini explosive, those

are the main bulk of his gadgets and arsenal in both the animated series and Nolan's films, he pretty much relies on his physical skills, now if your argument was

concerning Schmacher's depiction then you may have a point, but Nolan pretty much kept it simple, and Batman would pretty much only use certain things during

particular circumstances.

Everyone has a certain Batman that optimizes their personal Batman. Mine is Kevin Conroy. Few other actors, voice or live have captured the very essence of Batman. To me, Kevin Conroy IS Batman. @bats@

HELL FRICKIN' YEAH!!!

@lol@ Thank pal, and to the rest who responded with a "HELL YA!!" It always seems to get a response when I say that. :D

Now, to post my thoughts on the ssdsus/azrael23 discussion, here's my 2 cents.

I remember watching the making of the original Conan The Barbarian. It took years before the project finally got off of the ground. At one point the Universal executives didn't want to use Schwarzenegger because they felt he could not act. The producer literally stated "If we don't use him, we would have to BUILD a Conan!"

That's the way I feel about Batman. We have yet to find someone that glorifies the fiction with reality. Having a live action Batman in a rubber, or super padded suit is the only way to get that vision across on the big screen. If anyone is capable of just wearing a skin tight silk suit and have the screen present that Animated Batman (Kevin Conroy) has, then we would be in heaven.

I for one applaud Christian Bale, even though his Batman voice sucks.....bad. @bats@

Have to say it's Michael Keaton's Batman in Tim BUrton's movie. They defined Batman: dark, tragic, lonely, creature of the night, and what all other Batman movies fail to capture, the mysterious quality of Batman and Bruce Wayne.

It's the first Batman I've ever saw so their portrait stuck in my head and will always be how I remember Batman besides Adam West!

If anyone is capable of just wearing a skin tight silk suit and have the screen present that Animated Batman (Kevin Conroy) has, then we would be in heaven.

I highly doubt that would even translate on film, let alone actually make him

appear threatening and credible, no matter how he fills out a suit. Underwear over

a skin tight suit may translate well in the animated medium and comic medium, but

not so in the live action format. I would rather see the rubber nipples return before seeing that.

Have to say it's Michael Keaton's Batman in Tim BUrton's movie. They defined Batman: dark, tragic, lonely, creature of the night, and what all other Batman movies fail to capture, the mysterious quality of Batman and Bruce Wayne. It's the first Batman I've ever saw so their portrait stuck in my head and will always be how I remember Batman besides Adam West

Thats nostalgia talking :D

If anyone is capable of just wearing a skin tight silk suit and have the screen present that Animated Batman (Kevin Conroy) has, then we would be in heaven.

appear threatening and credible, no matter how he fills out a suit. Underwear over

a skin tight suit may translate well in the animated medium and comic medium, but

not so in the live action format. I would rather see the rubber nipples return before seeing that.

I know, That was actually my point. :);) Like I said, we'd have to BUILD him, and we know that's not possible. But PLEASE, don't bring up the bat-nipples. I can't kill Shoemaker enough for that.

Go watch Batman: Deadend, and then come back and tell us if that version of Batman is not threatening or credible.

http://www.theforce.net/fanfilms/nonsw/batman_deadend/

Go watch Batman: Deadend, and then come back and tell us if that version of Batman is not threatening or credible.

@band@ @peace@ I was only able to see the small version for what ever reason, but that was AWESOME!!. They pulled that off beautifully. That Batman was great! He had the physical presents AND the voice, not to mention he was TOTALLY NOT cheesy. I'll be on the look out for a larger screen version, if there is any.

I've already seen Dead End and while I love the look of the Joker as well as Batman's

cowl and cape, the underwear over the tights look isn't to appealing, which is another reason

I believe that even Superman should get rid of the red underoos.

Now a regular television series of something like Dead End would be rather cool.

Now a regular television series of something like Dead End would be rather cool.

Now I've always wanted a Batman series on a major channel like HBO. If they did it right, it would be more popular than the Sopranos. IMO -_-

Dead End looks like something that can definitely be on HBO. Heck, I would love for a dark and gritty animated version of Batman at this point.

I voted for Bruce Timm's animated Batman because that one is the closest to my referred version of Batman. My actual favorite Batman wasn't one of the choices.

My favorite Batman is the one that appeared in DC Comics in the late seventies and very early eighties. Here's what that Batman was like...

- His uniform was grey and blue. The ears on his cowl were long without being ridiculously long. His cape was also long without looking like the train on a garish wedding dress. Yes. His bat emblem had a yellow oval. His utility belt was a big yellow belt with cylinders rather than tiny pouches.

- He fought the Joker, the Penguin, the Riddler, the Mad Hatter, and ManBat regularly. Their battles were intense and intelligent without being unnecessarily vicious or bloody. The bad guys never maimed or crippled anyone and Batman, after a mild beating, would tie them up and take them to jail.

- Dick Grayson was maturing and out on his own. He had his own solo career as Robin which included leading the Teen Titans. He still enjoyed a close relationship with Bruce Wayne and on occasion would come home to team-up with Batman. The only source of friction between them came from Dick having dropped out of college.

- Batman was an intense but highly regarded member of the Justice League. He enjoyed a familar relationship with most members and even joked and smiled with them. He never secretly plotted the JLA's overthrow and wasn't a jerk to them.

- His Batmobile was an actual car and not an implausible overdone big black tank.

- He was as much of a scientist and a detective as he was a fighter.

- He had an attraction for Catwoman but he knew nothing could come of it because she was a criminal!

- Superman was one of his closest friends and the two would regularly team-up.

- His identity was Bruce Wayne was important to him. He actually spent time as Bruce Wayne pursuing occasional relationships with normal women, working at the Wayne Foundation, and socializing. Bruce Wayne didn't spend all his time in the Batcave by himself.

- He was never curt or abrupt with Alfred.

I miss this Batman.

I voted for Bruce Timm's animated Batman because that one is the closest to my referred version of Batman. My actual favorite Batman wasn't one of the choices.

My favorite Batman is the one that appeared in DC Comics in the late seventies and very early eighties. Here's what that Batman was like...

- His uniform was grey and blue. The ears on his cowl were long without being ridiculously long. His cape was also long without looking like the train on a garish wedding dress. Yes. His bat emblem had a yellow oval. His utility belt was a big yellow belt with cylinders rather than tiny pouches.

- He fought the Joker, the Penguin, the Riddler, the Mad Hatter, and ManBat regularly. Their battles were intense and intelligent without being unnecessarily vicious or bloody. The bad guys never maimed or crippled anyone and Batman, after a mild beating, would tie them up and take them to jail.

- Dick Grayson was maturing and out on his own. He had his own solo career as Robin which included leading the Teen Titans. He still enjoyed a close relationship with Bruce Wayne and on occasion would come home to team-up with Batman. The only source of friction between them came from Dick having dropped out of college.

- Batman was an intense but highly regarded member of the Justice League. He enjoyed a familar relationship with most members and even joked and smiled with them. He never secretly plotted the JLA's overthrow and wasn't a jerk to them.

- His Batmobile was an actual car and not an implausible overdone big black tank.

- He had an attraction for Catwoman but he knew nothing could come of it because she was a criminal!

- His identity was Bruce Wayne was important to him. He actually spent time as Bruce Wayne pursuing occasional relationships with normal women, working at the Wayne Foundation, and socializing. Bruce Wayne didn't spend all his time in the Batcave by himself.

I miss this Batman.

You mean there were comics before Frank Miller and every hack writer who followed him? :huh: Thanks for mentioning the comics-- yeah, sometimes I miss that Batman, too.

I miss this Batman.

I actually stood and gave applause in my living room after reading that. :D and I believe I said out loud "Hell Ya!" That was a nod to the fact that Batman was a SUPERHERO in those days, a positive role model, not the overly edgy man we see today that is constantly battling his own demons.

I miss that Batman, too. @bats@

I miss this Batman.

I actually stood and gave applause in my living room after reading that. :D and I believe I said out loud "Hell Ya!" That was a nod to the fact that Batman was a SUPERHERO in those days, a positive role model, not the overly edgy man we see today that is constantly battling his own demons.

I miss that one too but sometimes I don't. B/c at least with the edgy one we get an actual story and not a moral lesson in a cape and a Batman that isn't afraid to kick ass. The thing is though this thing will pass and that Batman will come back and he will be popular again and then every version of Batman will be like that (just like how every version of Batman now is the dark and gritty version). I miss that Batman now but when he does come back and we get fifty different versions of the same trite and upstanding Batman that doesn't fight and doesn't argue and seems happy we will start talking about the gritty versions again. It sucks how superheroes go in cycles.

I miss this Batman.

I miss that one too but sometimes I don't. B/c at least with the edgy one we get an actual story and not a moral lesson in a cape and a Batman that isn't afraid to kick ass. The thing is though this thing will pass and that Batman will come back and he will be popular again and then every version of Batman will be like that (just like how every version of Batman now is the dark and gritty version). I miss that Batman now but when he does come back and we get fifty different versions of the same trite and upstanding Batman that doesn't fight and doesn't argue and seems happy we will start talking about the gritty versions again. It sucks how superheroes go in cycles.

We need our superheroes to go through a cycle to keep them fresh, and to entice new fans. So change is not bad, just as long as it cycles back to the roots with new stories.

Quote-"The thing is though this thing will pass and that Batman will come back and he will be popular again and then every version of Batman will be like that (just like how every version of Batman now is the dark and gritty version)."

I hope so. Just like Superman and Spider-man, Batman has many facets, perhaps more than the rest. I think "our" Batman is more suited for a TV show. I would love to see it happen, again. :D

I miss that one too but sometimes I don't. B/c at least with the edgy one we get an actual story and not a moral lesson in a cape and a Batman that isn't afraid to kick ass.

The above quote seems to dwell on extreme depictions on Batman. There's either the "grim an' gritty" Batman or there's Adam West.

I cited my preferred Batman as being the Batman of the late seventies and early eighties for a reason. This wasn't the squeaky- clean Adam West Batman or the alien fighting Batman of the fifties. This was a Batman that had been restored by Neal Adams. His stories weren't "moral lessons." They were good engaging adventure and detective stories. Batman did "kick ass" ...if that's important to you ...and "kicking ass" didn't mean he had to be a psycho ninja who's a jerk to everyone even his closest friends.

It's unfortunate that no writer who came after Frank Miller could look at the Dark Knight and just leave that Batman to the context of that story. Everyone since TDKR has written a cheap imitation of Miller's Batman ...including inexplicably, Miller himself. It's emblematic of what happened when fanboys with no self-control ...or in the absence of that, editorial control... were allowed to run wild with the character.

Thus, we are where we are.