31 members have voted

1. 1. Which Batman do you like most?

• Tim Burton Movies
    • Joel Schumacher Movies
    • Batman Begins/TDK
    • BTAS/TNBA/JL/JLU
    • The Batman
    • Adam West TV Series

BTAS Batman, not any of the subsequent series!! I think Kevin Conroy hit it on the head perfectly with both the Bruce Wayne voice and Batman's!! However, only the first series got the look right. Those JLU shows I do not like!!

Conroy by far. Just like with Mark Hamill is by far the best Joker.

You see imo thats a rather unfair comparison because you're talking about different mediums, not to mention it

takes far more skills for an actor to pull off a particular characters mannerisms as well as unique voice as oppose to simple voice over work.

So as far as animation is concerned I agree with you concerning Conroy and Hamill, but in the live action realm it goes to Bale and Ledger.

LOL This is making me feel nolstigic

I wish we could get Conroys Batman back

I really feel that Nolan’s finest work wasn’t with Batman himself, it was with the other cast of characters. His Batman in Dark Knight I found to be the worst part of the entire picture. The Robocop outfit was terrible, the voice was unintentionally funny, and he’s completely outshone by pretty much every character in the film. BTAS did Batman ideally. I can't really think of anything BTAS did wrong.

LOL This is making me feel nolstigic

I wish we could get Conroys Batman back

I really feel that Nolan’s finest work wasn’t with Batman himself, it was with the other cast of characters. His Batman in Dark Knight I found to be the worst part of the entire picture. The Robocop outfit was terrible, the voice was unintentionally funny, and he’s completely outshone by pretty much every character in the film. BTAS did Batman ideally. I can't really think of anything BTAS did wrong.

But you're also talking about a show that lasted for 4 regular seasons with over 80 episodes that was able to really define Batman.

Not to mention Conroy had the opportunity to over time temper his voice to make and keep Batman menacing. IMO the only character

that outshone Batman in TDK was Joker, but thats nothing new. I do agree that Nolan did fine work with the other actors and their

character depictions.

ok here is my 2 cents on this subject. im a fan of keaton and bale.I love keaton as the bat his depiction is almost spot on with the comics.but in sayin that i wish keaton had been taller he is kinda short to play the bat man. Bale as the bat is great too cause he is taller and has bruce down as a man who wants better for the people of gotham. as to where keatons was just his own inner pain / termoil yea he protected people but thats only cause they were there kinda thing when the trouble was going down. but was mainly just wants to avenge his parents death by takeing down bad guys and bale is more saveing the people/gotham from the bad guys to make a better city. I hope that makes some kinda sense.Kilmer i love kilmer but he was just an ok batman he was back to dealing with his inner self but also tryin to get with the girl as where other bats was the girl chaseing them and the bat suit with nipples just killed it for me.WOW!! and clooneys well hes just cloony. he could be in a movie about takeing a poop and it would sell 100 million bucks but as batman ehhh. he seemed a little to daper to be batman but still could have been worse not sure how but ... lol well thats what i think thanks for listenin to me rambel on.

I love love love the Nolan movies. But to say that those are the best depiction of Batman is kind of silly. Those are the best depictions of the Joker, Two-Face, the Scarecrow, Gordon, and maybe even Alfred. But Batman and Ras Al Guhl where both handled better in BTAS. The cartoon Batman was everything he was supposed to be. Big, strong, expert in martial arts, world's greatest detective. He even presented a good Bruce Wayne. Ras Al Guhl was also far more epic in the cartoon. And the voices of both were superior. I even think the second Batmobile in the cartoon is the best one ever.

Here's why the Batman in the Nolan movies fails: Batman is always yelling. He is not a very good detective. He is way too reliant on high-tech gadgets instead of skills (yes, maybe that is more realistic, but why train all those years if you are going to put on armor that takes all of your mobility away?).

Louis

name='ssdsus' date='Oct 1 2008, 04:57 AM' post='16503046']

Here's why the Batman in the Nolan movies fails: Batman is always yelling. He is not a very good detective.

The yelling is subjective. However his detective skills is pretty evident in TDK and it was something Nolan wanted to gradually introduce. Personally I don't know what you

classify as a good detective, unless you happen to be one. Personally I found no issue in this area, I just hope for alot more in the 3rd installment.

But to say that those are the best depiction of Batman is kind of silly. Those are the best depictions of the Joker, Two-Face, the Scarecrow, Gordon, and maybe even Alfred. But Batman and Ras Al Guhl where both handled better in BTAS. The cartoon Batman was everything he was supposed to be.The cartoon Batman was everything he was supposed to be. Big, strong, expert in martial arts, world's greatest detective. He even presented a good Bruce Wayne. Ras Al Guhl was also far more epic in the cartoon. And the voices of both were superior. I even think the second Batmobile in the cartoon is the best one ever

You expect a 2 hour film to measure up to a series with 4 seasons and over 80 episodes? Of course Batman and his rogues can be greatly handled in that sort of medium, a series gives

characters the chance and time to grow. Perhaps if Nolan or any future Batman director had the luxury of telling a vast array of stories in weekly episodes then things could be different.

In a series such as TAS, Batman could literally be everything he was suppose to and have no limitations. So while you say that claiming Nolan's Batman are the best depiction of Batman is silly,

well so can holding the same standard concerning a 140 minute film versus 1000++ minutes of a cartoon series.

He is way too reliant on high-tech gadgets instead of skills (yes, maybe that is more realistic, but why train all those years if you are going to put on armor that takes all of your mobility away?).

Well for starters he's a human being and he fights killers and criminals, therefore common sense will compel one to put on armor because

unlike Batman, his foes don't have a problem with using guns. Secondly the armor may take away some mobility, but not all, which was basically

why he had a new suit for TDK, to increase his mobility. Thirdly, in the comic Batman's costume does utilize armor you just can't tell, no amount

of training matters when you're constantly up against villains that have weapons. As far as gadgets is concerned, I would say he has more of an

arsenal in the comics and cartoons than the few we see in the films, he doesn't have a boat, a helicopter, a batwing. Atleast in Nolan's films he's more practical and simple, he doesn't

rely on as nearly as much gadgets in Nolan's world as many people are starting to claim these days.

The yelling is subjective.

Not really. It is noted in almost every review of the film and mocked constantly. Instead of sounding cold and confident, Batman sounds like Bob Seger singing. Kind of ridiculous.

However his detective skills is pretty evident in TDK and it was something Nolan wanted to gradually introduce.

I know there are more skills on display in TDK, but Batman is still mostly reactionary instead of proactive. He should be on par with a Sherlock Holmes, but Batman doesn't possess that kind of skill in the movies. He acts more like James Bond.

You expect a 2 hour film to measure up to a series with 4 seasons and over 80 episodes?

Wow, nice one. Why bother reading what I wrote when it is better to just react to it? I said, in my opinion, the movies handle several characters better than the series. Batman isn't one of them. And I am saying take the first episode of the cartoon and put it's interpretation of Batman against the movie. It is better, hands down. Using your argument, the movie Batman is automatically worse because he's not as flushed out as the cartoon. I never said that. I am taking them on what they are, how they act, etc. Cartoon Batman is better.

Well for starters he's a human being and he fights killers and criminals, therefore common sense will compel one to put on armor because unlike Batman, his foes don't have a problem with using guns.

Ridiculous. The essense of the Batman character is that he is one of the most skilled people in the world. He attacks from the shadows. Villians aren't supposed to get a shot at him. He would have them disarmed before they ever saw him. He wears some kevlar in the comics, but not enough to limit his martial art skills. Movie Batman is wearing pounds of rubber. He couldn't even move his head in the first movie. That is what people are arguing about his use of tech. A lot of the stuff we see him using in the movies he just wouldn't need in the comics because he is far more skilled physically.

Not really. It is noted in almost every review of the film and mocked constantly. Instead of sounding cold and confident, Batman sounds like Bob Seger singing. Kind of ridiculous.

I didn't find it ridiculous. I think it was intentional on Nolan's part to make Batman seem less like a human and more like some kind of "beast of the night" that would really scare criminals. Remember, fear is an integral part of the Batman mythos.

As for reviews mocking it, it seems like it became the cool thing to do: come up with your own "clever" way to make fun of how Batman talked. I see you chose the "Bob Seger singing" route.

I know there are more skills on display in TDK, but Batman is still mostly reactionary instead of proactive. He should be on par with a Sherlock Holmes, but Batman doesn't possess that kind of skill in the movies. He acts more like James Bond.

I don't believe Batman became the world's greatest detective overnight, and the events of the The Dark Knight take place early in his career (I think a year after the events of Batman Begins, others say two or three years after). I think it needs to develop.

Wow, nice one. Why bother reading what I wrote when it is better to just react to it? I said, in my opinion, the movies handle several characters better than the series. Batman isn't one of them. And I am saying take the first episode of the cartoon and put it's interpretation of Batman against the movie. It is better, hands down. Using your argument, the movie Batman is automatically worse because he's not as flushed out as the cartoon. I never said that. I am taking them on what they are, how they act, etc. Cartoon Batman is better.

Echoing yet another popular opinion, I see. Batman: The Animated Series has always received critical acclaim, as have Bruce Timm, Kevin Conroy, and many others involved with it. It was well done, and I still love it, but as far as Batman goes, I don't see what's so unique about him in the series. He was darker than he'd been previously presented, just as everything else was. But Tim Burton's Batman was dark, as is Nolan's. So, is it Conroy's voice? Because otherwise I don't see too much that's unique compared to other Batmans.

Ridiculous. The essense of the Batman character is that he is one of the most skilled people in the world. He attacks from the shadows. Villians aren't supposed to get a shot at him. He would have them disarmed before they ever saw him. He wears some kevlar in the comics, but not enough to limit his martial art skills. Movie Batman is wearing pounds of rubber. He couldn't even move his head in the first movie. That is what people are arguing about his use of tech.

And you don't get the impression that Nolan's Batman is one of the most skilled people in the world? Or that he attacks from the shadows? Or that he's not avoiding bullets? As for disarming guys before they saw him, he's done that in the movies, too, but he doesn't always do that in the comics anyway. He often engages villains in hand-to-hand combat. It'd be pretty boring if every page of every comic was him dropping from above and incapacitating all the bad guys before they could do anything.

As for what movie Batman's wearing in the movie, it's not rubber. Lucius Fox explains what it is. That's like saying that comic book Batman isn't wearing anything but tights because that's what it looks like. I suppose it's possible you'd prefer the actor wear tights like Adam West and have the characters explain that he's actually wearing a protective bodysuit with kevlar even though it's clearly just tights, but I think you're just using a double standard for the comic book and movie.

A lot of the stuff we see him using in the movies he just wouldn't need in the comics because he is far more skilled physically.

I think this explains a lot about your argument.

The movie isn't the comics. Most of what happens in the comics would never fly in a film. You complain about his voice, but you'd be OK with the ridiculousness we see on a monthly basis in the comic book?

I liked TAS but it wasn't the holy grail if there even is a Batman movie/tv holy grail. I like Nolan's Batman but to me it stands on its own its not the same character as Keaton's Conroy's or West's Batman. His voice was a little hard to understand the first time you see TDK but once you get an ear for it there really isn't any trouble and as for sounding like Bob Sieger I don't hear that at all, no offense, I like Bale's version and Seger but Bale couldn't pull off Hollywood Nights at all. And frankly TAS has its flaws too. If Batman is such a great detective how comes it takes him 10 minutes into the episode sometimes to realize a package with rhyming riddles and a big question mark is the Riddler? It was a great cartoon and to me at the time it was one of the best portrayals of the character. But each version of the character is a different version. Just because Mark Hamill did a good job with the Joker doesn't mean we can sit there and say "Ledger's version was crazy but he was missing Mark Hamill's voice so that is problem right there." And if we are talking about world's greatest detective (sounds like a mug a receptionist would give a PI), staying to the shadows, and martial arts ability Nolan's Batman has that more than any previous movie incarnation.

If you'd like a good serious Batman, check out Sandy Collora's fan-flic Batman: Deadend ( and his followup: World's Finest)

As much as I love the Adam West Batman, if I wanted to watch a serious legit Batman, I'd go with this one.

IMO, its probably the best version of Batman ever put to film.

If you'd like a good serious Batman, check out Sandy Collora's fan-flic Batman: Deadend ( and his followup: World's Finest)

As much as I love the Adam West Batman, if I wanted to watch a serious legit Batman, I'd go with this one.

IMO, its probably the best version of Batman ever put to film.

Oh yeah! That was cool, I remember that and the World's Finest follow up. Awesome fan made short. I'm a fan of the Adam West Batman, it was too funny!

But I had to vote for the Nolan Batman Begins/TDK depiction. F Titanic!!

LOL Adam Wests Batman was a freakin joke

Actually, for the years leading up to the series, the '64 TV series was the most comic accurate of all the Batman's done, and still stands as one of the most accurate versions.

Batman was quite goofy, before Denny O'Neil and Neil Adams came along and slapped some sense into the character.

Watching the series now, I'm astonished how risqué it get's with it entendres--very progressive for the times. Of course, as a little kid watching it back in the 60's I was totally enthralled by the derring-do--all the rest went waaaay over my head.