mattel is asking about chase figures

nonameshmo30

Yeah, Mattel crying foul about costs is wearing pretty thin. The MOTUC line is $20 per figure and it's nearly entirely reused parts. I still accepted it pretty easily though because it's an online-only thing with unique circumstances. But now they're saying it's so expensive to produce DCUC, too, and that pretty much rubs me the wrong way. As nonameshmo said, DCUC is reused parts, as well, yet ToyGuru mentioned something about having to charge $20 a figure under one circumstance? Give me a break. If it's that expensive, someone isn't doing things right at Mattel.

The other toy companies have tons of action figures on the pegs, many of which seem to sit and not move very much. They're not constantly complaining about cost and using it as an excuse for anything they want, so it's not cool for Mattel to do so, either.

The worst part of all this is it's not a good sign for the line's longevity. They can't meet demand, half the interested parties can't find anything, and every few weeks we're being reminded how horribly expensive it is to make action figures. Based on what we're seeing, I wouldn't be surprised to hear they're pulling the plug because they don't seem committed or realistic enough about DCUC.

I think the price has to do with the licensing amount they paid to DC. DC makes money off every figure and they prolly thought that they would make a killing with this line (which they would if they produced enough) but the actual price to produce the figure and the profit which is split with DC makes the figure expensive to produce, in other words they must not be taking in enough money to keep the line very plentiful. They prolly will pull the plug soon and possibly on JLU. I could see them keeping Batman b/c of how plentiful that line is and who knows what kind of deal they made for the things, whether or not DCU is a separate deal and Batman is a separate deal and they just came out better on the Batman or what but something tells me it has to do with a expensive deal they entered with DC.

... they must not be taking in enough money to keep the line very plentiful. They prolly will pull the plug soon and possibly on JLU.

What a giant stinking shame this would be!

Hey, Mattel! I want to give you money! I want to buy your products, BUT I CAN'T FIND THEM!!!!

Up to now, I've always felt that Mattel's 2002 MOTU line was the worst handled line of all action figure history. I've posted about the suicidal management of the JLU line, but THIS! This would be an absolute crime. I don't think I can ever remember such a strong demand for such good figures and a company's utter inability to meet that demand.

... they must not be taking in enough money to keep the line very plentiful. They prolly will pull the plug soon and possibly on JLU.

Hey, Mattel! I want to give you money! I want to buy your products, BUT I CAN'T FIND THEM!!!!

Up to now, I've always felt that Mattel's 2002 MOTU line was the worst handled line of all action figure history. I've posted about the suicidal management of the JLU line, but THIS! This would be an absolute crime. I don't think I can ever remember such a strong demand for such good figures and a company's utter inability to meet that demand.

I don't think they're pulling the plug anytime soon. I said it wouldn't surprise me if they did, but I'm thinking not before 2010 hits. I think it could be a lot like MOTU 200X, dying out long before it ought to because Mattel can't seem to get it right.

I don't think they're pulling the plug anytime soon. I said it wouldn't surprise me if they did, but I'm thinking not before 2010 hits. I think it could be a lot like MOTU 200X, dying out long before it ought to because Mattel can't seem to get it right.

What perplexes me is why did mattel even buy the dc line if they cant produce a decent amount of figures. They have to be paying people who are supposed to for see problems an market watch people and anelists who are supposed to give numbers selling and things of that nature.i did see a robin and nightwing tonight at wal mart but passed on them cause the robin had paint missing for his mask and where the r is the yellow around it looked like a 5 yr old put it on and the night wing missing paint from the hair and black dots on the blue part. im anel about my figs i like them to look as mint as possable like im sure alot of u out there r. I thinks thats anohter problem when you do find the figures they shty lookin.i know if alot of companies ran there bizz like mattel they would be out of bizz. If gi joes can have all that detail and good paint why cant the dcuc line. I know im not the only one screaming about this i see all of you and many others just wanting there fav figs. I also think that mattel put alot into the batman figs and seem to have forgot about the dcuc line. It just makes me sad and i just feel like yelling agggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

I don't seriously don't know what the real issue is with Mattel. I think some of it boils down to money. But it does seems funny that they say stuff like plastic costs so much we can't produce a million figures of Robin. But TDK 5+ is currently sitting at one billion figures sitting on the shelves in a single Walmart (of course I am using hyperbole but it sure does feel like that when you see all the untouched 5+ TDK figures). Idk what they are doing and they don't seem keen on telling us but something is really amiss.

Mattel isn't at fault, I believe as far as distribution, and I must give them credit. The 50/50 split on some variants is better than the 30/70 or 20/80 and so on. Overall I hate chase figures, it a waste of everybodies time and is a diservice to collectors. I don't hunt anymore and I don't like it. I order online and I like to know exactly what I am getting, no a big ?

As for distribution, start complaining to Target and TRU and stop calling Mattel. I went into TRU and they had NO peg for DCUC, I couldn't resist and I counted 24 pegs for Power Rangers that were full. For some FREAKIN reason execs at TRU think having a consistant line of TRU is more important than DCUC or even Marvel Legends for that matter. Target is no better, dry pegs while generic army men are always stocked. It is a sad state we are living in, but hope has come in the form of online stores CSC and BBTS, and that Mattel actually takes advice and is concerned about what we think, and to end....NO MORE CHASE, NO MORE CHASE,

But Mattel is at fault. They only produced a very small amount of wave 2 and can not get enough product into stores unless they know it will sell like hotcakes and then even still they only produce enough of the main character, go into any Target, Walmart, or TRU and see how many new suit Batman and BB Batman figures you find and how few Scarecrows, Jokers, Thugs, and chases you find. Same sort of story back in the day with the 2002 MOTU. Mattel has major issues when it comes to distribution. And while I believe its up to the store to order figures there are stores that are ordering DCU and only getting one box and some isn't a whole box full of DCU they are getting half or few of DCU and then TDK figures usually the 5+ editions. I think if Mattel sent more you would see more on the shelves b/c the stores know they sell, and even if it was all the stores fault I think showing the empty pegs of DCU would help show that the product is moving. Mattel isn't producing enough figures to meet demand and the stores are putting on the shelves what they are getting.

I don't understand how Mattel is not producing enough, I buy 4 cases per wave standard since Wave 1. If I wanted to order 6 or 7 I could per the orders shown from CSC and BBTS. I put in an order and its no problem, I hardly ever see a sold out notice. Its the stores man, just like they can order cases of crappy stuff, they can get the real deal stuff too. If Mattel isn't producing enough figures then hopefully they will learn in the future. I occasionally go to the stores to find figures and yes the pegs are empty but when you have online stores like BBTS and CSC ordering 200 to 300 case assortment per wave, that is a big deal, stores like Walmart needs to order 2000 to 3000 cases but they suck just like how they dropped the line, the line always sold out, its the stores dude, the stores!!!!

Yeah, Mattel crying foul about costs is wearing pretty thin. The MOTUC line is $20 per figure and it's nearly entirely reused parts. I still accepted it pretty easily though because it's an online-only thing with unique circumstances. But now they're saying it's so expensive to produce DCUC, too, and that pretty much rubs me the wrong way. As nonameshmo said, DCUC is reused parts, as well, yet ToyGuru mentioned something about having to charge $20 a figure under one circumstance? Give me a break. If it's that expensive, someone isn't doing things right at Mattel.

The other toy companies have tons of action figures on the pegs, many of which seem to sit and not move very much. They're not constantly complaining about cost and using it as an excuse for anything they want, so it's not cool for Mattel to do so, either.

The worst part of all this is it's not a good sign for the line's longevity. They can't meet demand, half the interested parties can't find anything, and every few weeks we're being reminded how horribly expensive it is to make action figures. Based on what we're seeing, I wouldn't be surprised to hear they're pulling the plug because they don't seem committed or realistic enough about DCUC.

Ok, tell me where Mattel is complaining about how much it costs to produce figures, I never saw it and want to before I believe and comment

I don't seriously don't know what the real issue is with Mattel. I think some of it boils down to money. But it does seems funny that they say stuff like plastic costs so much we can't produce a million figures of Robin. But TDK 5+ is currently sitting at one billion figures sitting on the shelves in a single Walmart (of course I am using hyperbole but it sure does feel like that when you see all the untouched 5+ TDK figures). Idk what they are doing and they don't seem keen on telling us but something is really amiss.

Amen i was at my wally world and they still have like 50 tdk 5 inch most from when they first came out and while i am seeing more movie masters out there its all old suit batman and new suit in that kick pose. No new thugs or scarecrows maybe a joker here and there but no unmasked or ghoul bats and nothing really new and that stealth launch batmobile there were like 30 of them at my wal mart. no one seems to be buying that at all. but anywho yea im sure some of it is money every one is feeling the hurt thanks bush but it cant all be money...cause its not only collectors looking there are alot of kids out there i see them EVERYWHERE and im sure they too would love a dcuc line fig like the rest of us.

Mattel isn't at fault, I believe as far as distribution, and I must give them credit. The 50/50 split on some variants is better than the 30/70 or 20/80 and so on. Overall I hate chase figures, it a waste of everybodies time and is a diservice to collectors. I don't hunt anymore and I don't like it. I order online and I like to know exactly what I am getting, no a big ?

As for distribution, start complaining to Target and TRU and stop calling Mattel. I went into TRU and they had NO peg for DCUC, I couldn't resist and I counted 24 pegs for Power Rangers that were full. For some FREAKIN reason execs at TRU think having a consistant line of TRU is more important than DCUC or even Marvel Legends for that matter. Target is no better, dry pegs while generic army men are always stocked. It is a sad state we are living in, but hope has come in the form of online stores CSC and BBTS, and that Mattel actually takes advice and is concerned about what we think, and to end....NO MORE CHASE, NO MORE CHASE,

But Mattel is at fault. They only produced a very small amount of wave 2 and can not get enough product into stores unless they know it will sell like hotcakes and then even still they only produce enough of the main character, go into any Target, Walmart, or TRU and see how many new suit Batman and BB Batman figures you find and how few Scarecrows, Jokers, Thugs, and chases you find. Same sort of story back in the day with the 2002 MOTU. Mattel has major issues when it comes to distribution. And while I believe its up to the store to order figures there are stores that are ordering DCU and only getting one box and some isn't a whole box full of DCU they are getting half or few of DCU and then TDK figures usually the 5+ editions. I think if Mattel sent more you would see more on the shelves b/c the stores know they sell, and even if it was all the stores fault I think showing the empty pegs of DCU would help show that the product is moving. Mattel isn't producing enough figures to meet demand and the stores are putting on the shelves what they are getting.

I don't understand how Mattel is not producing enough, I buy 4 cases per wave standard since Wave 1. If I wanted to order 6 or 7 I could per the orders shown from CSC and BBTS. I put in an order and its no problem, I hardly ever see a sold out notice. Its the stores man, just like they can order cases of crappy stuff, they can get the real deal stuff too. If Mattel isn't producing enough figures then hopefully they will learn in the future. I occasionally go to the stores to find figures and yes the pegs are empty but when you have online stores like BBTS and CSC ordering 200 to 300 case assortment per wave, that is a big deal, stores like Walmart needs to order 2000 to 3000 cases but they suck just like how they dropped the line, the line always sold out, its the stores dude, the stores!!!!

HEY you half the problem buying 3 or 4 cases why the hell do u need that many

I don't get why then the stores aren't ordering enough if a product sells out and they order more they should receive more and different figures. If you are ordering at least 4 cases (which makes me ask do you own a business or something?) from an online store that means that the stores aren't even getting four cases. Which doesn't make sense. But just to tell you I have heard stories about stores never receiving cases or receiving mixed cases with other Mattel figures stuck in too. But a Walmart in NC doesn't mean as much as a coast to coast shipping website that orders cases and cases and deals directly to fans. But frankly I don't like ordering DCU online they have some terrible paint apps, so its always luck of the draw what you buy.

Ok, tell me where Mattel is complaining about how much it costs to produce figures, I never saw it and want to before I believe and comment

Rising Petroleum Prices

A considerable amount of Mattel's manufacturing cost comes from plastic resin, which accounts for approximately one-quarter of cost of goods sold. In recent years, resin prices have soared because of a rise in prices of its key component: petroleum. Most observers believe that prices of crude oil are unlikely to reduce any further.

Mattel is also more directly affected by fuel energy prices since it affects transportation costs, which account for around 7% of cost of good sold. Mattel does utilize various hedging strategies to keep its raw material costs under control, but further increases in petroleum could materially hurt the company's margins.

http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Mattel_(MAT)#Manufacturing

Dhoonib you might have stumbled upon the answer & not have realized it. That thing you said about Mattel & DC being "bed-buddies" might just be the problem here. To use a sports oriented metaphore, its like Mattel is pulling a "Terrel Owens".

Meaning Mattel agreed to a price deal with DC & then after learning just how much money there is to be had in this line, & then having that fact flaunted under their noses by standing on the sidelines watching the scalpers rake in what rightfuly be their money, well it was just too much for them, & as a consequence Mattel is now trying to pull this online exclusive $30 per fig crap on us!

Well to all of that all I can say is Mattel needs to learn the same lesson that T.O. did when he was angry about his Phily Eagles contract. & that is........dont cry foul after you've made your deal with the devil! Mattel needs to be professional enough to up hold their end of this business partnership.

STOP PUNISHING THE COLLECTOR!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get why then the stores aren't ordering enough if a product sells out and they order more they should receive more and different figures. If you are ordering at least 4 cases (which makes me ask do you own a business or something?) from an online store that means that the stores aren't even getting four cases. Which doesn't make sense. But just to tell you I have heard stories about stores never receiving cases or receiving mixed cases with other Mattel figures stuck in too. But a Walmart in NC doesn't mean as much as a coast to coast shipping website that orders cases and cases and deals directly to fans. But frankly I don't like ordering DCU online they have some terrible paint apps, so its always luck of the draw what you buy.

Rising Petroleum Prices

A considerable amount of Mattel's manufacturing cost comes from plastic resin, which accounts for approximately one-quarter of cost of goods sold. In recent years, resin prices have soared because of a rise in prices of its key component: petroleum. Most observers believe that prices of crude oil are unlikely to reduce any further.

Mattel is also more directly affected by fuel energy prices since it affects transportation costs, which account for around 7% of cost of good sold. Mattel does utilize various hedging strategies to keep its raw material costs under control, but further increases in petroleum could materially hurt the company's margins.

http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Mattel_(MAT)#Manufacturing

I understand the gas thing we are all being hit hard by it but one thing mattel can do to decrese the cost is stop getting there figs painted over seas. this is how that goes down first you have to pay a dock fee then the shipping fee to china then pay them to paint it even if its a crappy paint app then pay to ship it back which is higher to do then pay another doc fee and distrabution fee now you cant tell me some one could figure out hey lets just make them here at home. and paint them here at home to reduce prices. Oh ad to show u how full of it mattel is not to bring he man into this but they pushed back releseing it yet again because of haveing a problem with armor issuses. So u mean to tell me way back in 80 something it was fine but now in 2008 soon to be 2009 its kickin there butt to make removeable armor come on now come on

ToyGuru/Matty have made posts on the boards and announcements on sites like AFI and DCUC.info. Additionally, He-Man.org has had posts from ToyGuru. The cost of producing figures has been mentioned multiple times. I think they're just trying to state a fact, but with multiple mentions, it comes off as either setting up an excuse or trying to hold us at ransom ("These things are expensive for us to produce, so if you fans don't accept what we give you, we just won't make them."). Additionally, companies like Hasbro aren't making these kinds of noises. They just keep shipping 25th Anniversary G.I. Joes, and they just keep selling.

ToyGuru/Matty have made posts on the boards and announcements on sites like AFI and DCUC.info. Additionally, He-Man.org has had posts from ToyGuru. The cost of producing figures has been mentioned multiple times. I think they're just trying to state a fact, but with multiple mentions, it comes off as either setting up an excuse or trying to hold us at ransom ("These things are expensive for us to produce, so if you fans don't accept what we give you, we just won't make them."). Additionally, companies like Hasbro aren't making these kinds of noises. They just keep shipping 25th Anniversary G.I. Joes, and they just keep selling.

thats the point of this thread how can all these other companies like gi joe keep stocking the pegs and makeing money but mattel is pissin and moaning. and it has gottin worse with the joker wave 1 figure people seling it and the unmasked bats and ghole bats for hundreds of bucks. and now they want to put chase figs online for 30 or more. and you know people sclapers and bizzneses will buy them all up with pre orders befor any avg person can get just one. so like myself or otheres were still screwd.and if you dont have a credit card what then.

Hey buddy there is no problem over here. you need 2 figures loose per character including variants if I like them (Captain Adam variant will not be opened) and 2 in the package per character. Like the other dude said in an earlier post I have a compulsion. You haven't seen anything. I got like 10 loose Darkseids and 6 in the package

Hey buddy there is no problem over here. you need 2 figures loose per character including variants if I like them (Captain Adam variant will not be opened) and 2 in the package per character. Like the other dude said in an earlier post I have a compulsion. You haven't seen anything. I got like 10 loose Darkseids and 6 in the package

Don't worry we can get you help, now the first thing you need to do is give up this wild habit. You can start by giving me all your DCU figures. At that point you will begin the process of healing. lol.

Dhoonib you might have stumbled upon the answer & not have realized it. That thing you said about Mattel & DC being "bed-buddies" might just be the problem here. To use a sports oriented metaphore, its like Mattel is pulling a "Terrel Owens".

Meaning Mattel agreed to a price deal with DC & then after learning just how much money there is to be had in this line, & then having that fact flaunted under their noses by standing on the sidelines watching the scalpers rake in what rightfuly be their money, well it was just too much for them, & as a consequence Mattel is now trying to pull this online exclusive $30 per fig crap on us!

Well to all of that all I can say is Mattel needs to learn the same lesson that T.O. did when he was angry about his Phily Eagles contract. & that is........dont cry foul after you've made your deal with the devil! Mattel needs to be professional enough to up hold their end of this business partnership.

STOP PUNISHING THE COLLECTOR!!!!!!!!!!

You know I have thought about this several ways and there are only two that keep coming back. DC is prolly wanting a huge cut, which Mattel signed on to and is now having trouble delivering. Or the conspiracy theory one which is that Mattel is getting in the scalper action. While I know this sounds about as strange as JFK traveled back in time to be his own second shooter, it does make sense. There product has been extremely hard to find. They said they learned there lesson after the MOTU deal. Well the scalpers have been making tons off the product. No one can find it anywhere and the figures are worth a lot on the secondary. Why wouldn't they want to get in on that action. Especially if my first theory is true. You can make a lot more for selling three figures for fifty bucks a piece than you would selling five for ten bucks a piece. I think the first theory is much more possible than the second but they way things are today I would believe in Mattel blindly.

Hasbro is doing it too. $14.99 Fin Fang Foom wave. I think Target is to blame about the Red Hulk wave being $14.99. The G.I. Joes went up in price too, by a dollar I think. Hopefully the Ares Wave is the same $10-$11 price.

As for DCUC, Mattel swears they ARE shipping them out, that it's the retailer's fault that you can't find figures. They only order one box (Target) or two boxes (Wal-Mart). Some Wal-Marts aren't selling DCUC at all, and poor TRU doesn't seem to get DCUC anymore, even though they have 2 packs coming up. Maybe Wal-Mart, Target and TRU have gotten burned by overstocked superhero figures (Superman Returns, JLU Superman, Batman and Shining Knights, DCIH, Hasbro Marvel Legends Emma Frost, Banshee, Jean Grey, Dark Knightr 5", Hulk 5", Spider-Man 5", Iron Man 5") and are playing it cautious.

The scalpers aren't making it any easier. Knowing the stores are so cautious about having tons of superhero overstock, it makes scalping each figure much easier.

Cautious stores + early morning scalpers or collectors = No DCUC on shelves

Hasbro is doing it too. $14.99 Fin Fang Foom wave. I think Target is to blame about the Red Hulk wave being $14.99. The G.I. Joes went up in price too, by a dollar I think. Hopefully the Ares Wave is the same $10-$11 price.

As for DCUC, Mattel swears they ARE shipping them out, that it's the retailer's fault that you can't find figures. They only order one box (Target) or two boxes (Wal-Mart). Some Wal-Marts aren't selling DCUC at all, and poor TRU doesn't seem to get DCUC anymore, even though they have 2 packs coming up. Maybe Wal-Mart, Target and TRU have gotten burned by overstocked superhero figures (Superman Returns, Hasbro Marvel Legends, Dark Knightr 5", Hulk, Spider-Man, Iron Man) and are playing it cautious.

The scalpers aren't making it any easier. Knowing the stores are so cautious about having tons of superhero overstock, it makes scalping each figure much easier.

Cautious stores + early morning scalpers or collectors = No DCUC on shelves

yea whats up with gi joes when they first came back they were 4 88 at wal mart now pushing 7 to 8 bucks

lol i hear ya

30 or 20 its better than anything on ebay and feeding some poor scalper's table.

Absolutely. Depending on how big of a run these chase figures get, if there's enough to go around then scalpers will have a hard time selling them on Ebay because (theoretically) everyone will be able to get one.

As for other issues, Hasbro never complained about the high price of manufacturing. They just raised the prices without asking the fans. Why? BECAUSE THEY DON"T CARE. Hasbro is a joke.

I'm not saying Mattel is full of saints, but at least they're asking our opinion. And I really can't say the distribution problems are their fault because my Targets are full of DC stuff and my Wal-Marts don't even have a space laid out for them, except for those terrible Dark Knight figures.