New Joe vehicles?

ransomz

I saw the Rattler and Skystriker at Target this week. The Skystriker looks cool but I always thought the Rattler had a dumpy, non-aerodynamic design. What I want to know is - are we going to ever see any new, updated vehicles for Joe? Personally the motorcycles in particular were kind of blah and I'd like to see some cool new ones.

At the Toy Fair where they first showed us the VAMP, they said it was all new, but obviously the part-timer that was hired didn't know what he was talking about. I want new stuff!

At the Toy Fair where they first showed us the VAMP, they said it was all new, but obviously the part-timer that was hired didn't know what he was talking about. I want new stuff!

It might be an all-new sculpt, but just one taken from the original toy.

Its clearly not a new REVISED design though, which is probably what you (and I) were expecting/hoping for.

I agree and disagree. On one hand, we're getting newly sculpted figures so it only goes to say that we should get new vehicles, however, they are new sculpts of the same look each character representation had in the 80's. Therefore we should expect to get the same for the vehicle treatment.

I for one like the vehicles we're getting. I mean, honestly...How can you pose your Original 13 in their 80's (or close to their 80's) representations with high-tech newer rides?

Wouldn't look right ot me.

I highly support the use of the original RAH vehicles.

1. There are plenty for them to draw from that have never been redone and that would be highly sought after. I mean just think of all the ugly neon RAH vehicles from the end of the line that could be redone in normal colors.

2. I have NO FAITH that Hasbro can make any good vehicles anymore. I didn't like ANY of the GvC, VvV, or DTC offerings.

say what you want about the RAH figures, but the vehicles can't be topped

I saw the Rattler and Skystriker at Target this week. The Skystriker looks cool but I always thought the Rattler had a dumpy, non-aerodynamic design. What I want to know is - are we going to ever see any new, updated vehicles for Joe? Personally the motorcycles in particular were kind of blah and I'd like to see some cool new ones.

The Skystriker is out? Before new vehicles are released, I insist that you learn the names of the old ones! @smilepunch@

What I want to know is - are we going to ever see any new, updated vehicles for Joe? Personally the motorcycles in particular were kind of blah and I'd like to see some cool new ones.

I'm not following. You seem to be looking for 'new' and 'updated' in a line where 50% of the vehicles are pure science fiction. How much updating really needs to be done to a HISS?

The few 'real-world' vehicles we're getting actually adhere pretty well to things that are still in use all over the world, and still have enough differences that they can and should be called fantasy. I mean, you call the motorcycles 'blah', but let's look at the RAM. I don't think motorcycle technology has changed so much that it would really be all that different... and it has a chain gun sidecar! I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that sort of thing doesn't exist in any military. What you see as 'blah', I'm seeing as a timeless blend of reality and fiction.

I'm not following. You seem to be looking for 'new' and 'updated' in a line where 50% of the vehicles are pure science fiction. How much updating really needs to be done to a HISS?

Reactive armor, smoke dispensers, something beyond a heavy machine gun for main armament, cockpit instrumentation, increased details, perhaps real treads. Add proper weapon sights, a protective cupola.....small details like molded tie-down rings and fording tools.

Yea, they could upgrade these toys either design-wise or detail wise a whole bunch.

Personally, its what I was hoping for and they did not even come halfway.

I don't think motorcycle technology has changed so much that it would really be all that different... and it has a chain gun sidecar!

Technology, no......design, yes.

Otomo Katsuhiro was "redesigning" the motorcycle for Akira back when The Silver Mirage was being designed--and the differences are striking. Sure, its a distinction between aesthetics and function, but none of the motor bikes (or any GIJOE/COBRA) vehicle places true function ahead of aesthetics.

That being the case, the design philosophy should be sky-high and wide open.

Give us a front strut housing on the Silver Mirage, lengthen the whole bike. Go from a "stock" racing bike style to some just ahead of where racing bikes are today--ergo the Akira look, as an example.

Put the weapon on a pintle, so it can swivel.

2. I have NO FAITH that Hasbro can make any good vehicles anymore. I didn't like ANY of the GvC, VvV, or DTC offerings.

I'll agree with you on most everything, but the two Humvees they did were great.

I thought the Night Attack Copter and R.H.I.N.O were excellent vehicles--some of the very best ever done.

Yes the latter is very futuristic in some respects, but no more so than any other vehicle made before.

I'll agree with you on most everything, but the two Humvees they did were great.

I thought the Night Attack Copter and R.H.I.N.O were excellent vehicles--some of the very best ever done.

Yes the latter is very futuristic in some respects, but no more so than any other vehicle made before.

I still maintain more than 90% of the vehicles produced during Valor vs. Venom (and only a select from JvC and Spy Troops) and Robot Rebellion/DTC could be reused/retooled and make AMAZING upgrades to classics.

As is, All the DTC HISS needs is a cannon turret to be perfect (Hasbro DID make a back hatch, it just never was produced in release numbers, but protos leaked), There were images of a PERFECT Wolverine tank using the Road rebel as a base (with new turret part), and the ROCC is still an amazing piece, though not as good or functional as the RHINO. The Ice Sabre is pretty much a perfect "Snow Cat mark 2" IMO, even better without the action feature and a standard turrent.

And I'd KILL to actually get the Iron Hammer in its original 3.75" scale.

gah... I feel the exact opposite about the NAC... it had an interesting design, but the toy came out looking like a playschool toy for toddlers.. and that was my problem with most of the toys from the new sculpt era. They looked so cartoony and cheesy. All squished up and rounded like something from a Disney cartoon.

Reactive armor, smoke dispensers, something beyond a heavy machine gun for main armament, cockpit instrumentation, increased details, perhaps real treads. Add proper weapon sights, a protective cupola.....small details like molded tie-down rings and fording tools.

Yea, they could upgrade these toys either design-wise or detail wise a whole bunch.

Personally, its what I was hoping for and they did not even come halfway.

I see what you're getting at... but I think to a lot of fans, the more 'new' these vehicles are, the less they're really going to consider them 'classic'. Once you 'uber-detail' a HISS, is it really a classic HISS, or is it an all-new HISS?

We're dealing with a fandom that says 'give us newer, more realistic stuff', then complains that Zartan doesn't have a belly shirt. Most fans seemed to be just fine with the idea of putting the new figures in old vehicles, but most of them wouldn't fit. Hasbro gave us classic vehicles that the new figures would fit in. Sure, they could have made more changes and updates, but the more you do that, the more dangerously close you get to killing the retro/nostalgia feel and just making a completely new vehicle.

I don't think motorcycle technology has changed so much that it would really be all that different... and it has a chain gun sidecar!

Technology, no......design, yes.

Otomo Katsuhiro was "redesigning" the motorcycle for Akira back when The Silver Mirage was being designed--and the differences are striking. Sure, its a distinction between aesthetics and function, but none of the motor bikes (or any GIJOE/COBRA) vehicle places true function ahead of aesthetics.

That being the case, the design philosophy should be sky-high and wide open.

Give us a front strut housing on the Silver Mirage, lengthen the whole bike. Go from a "stock" racing bike style to some just ahead of where racing bikes are today--ergo the Akira look, as an example.

Put the weapon on a pintle, so it can swivel.

If Hasbro made an 'Akira bike' and called it the RAM, you and I both know that fully half the fandom would be sitting there going "This isn't the RAM! How dare Hasbro cheat us out of the classic vehicle!" Just as there are some fans who would like a HISS tank with more weapons and detail, there are some fans who would be saying "why aren't we getting classic vehicles in the classic line?!"

By the way, I would like a bike like you describe, if only to make up for the first one they failed at. I just don't think that Hasbro could package and market it as a 'classic'.

As much as the fandom wants 'new' and 'updated' in the figures, I don't think that's ever really held true in the vehicles. I mean, has any version of the HISS been as popular as the first? When the 'best' classic vehicles come up, which is mentioned first- the VAMP or the Hammer?

I do see your point. I just think you're in the minority here. I think most of the fandom wants little change in the 'classic' stuff, and real, substantial changes saved for 'new' stuff... and right now, 'classic' is the name of the game.

I do see your point. I just think you're in the minority here. I think most of the fandom wants little change in the 'classic' stuff, and real, substantial changes saved for 'new' stuff... and right now, 'classic' is the name of the game.

I know I'm in the minority in this. I'd have been happy if the HISS or VAMP came with more detailed interiors and instrumentation in their cockpits, and the rest was kept the same.

As it is, we got largely featureless.......stuff. True the RAM now has handlebars, and those saddlebags are quite nifty--but there was an opportunity to upgrade the thing.

They could have altered the gun hard-point on the bike, allowing for a pintle/gimble to allow the gun to traverse. That would make more sense than a huge FIXED gatling cannon that requires one helluva bike driver to aim at something.

IMO, it would correct something inherently stupid about the toy, AND upgrade its details and features for the more savvy times. The rest of the bike could stay the same design wise--the side weapons could still have the supporting wheel--in all other respects it'd be the same design, with the same aesthetic.

Its my weakness.......I'm a detail/eye candy freak, and the original toys ........SOME of them, were border-line detailed. Some were quite blah and bland, and a few were pretty much featureless.

The best of the pre-25th Ann. toys was the Jungle Strike Humvee. that is what I consider to be halfway there. If they'd added some stickers to give it some cockpit instrumentation, some body markings and GIJOE team affiliation, it'd be pretty darn sweet.

I just hope the movie toys and any new vehicles in 09 and beyond steer in the direction I'm talking about.

The Skystriker is out? Before new vehicles are released, I insist that you learn the names of the old ones! @smilepunch@

Whoops! My bad. It's the one with forward wing sweep that's at Target. It's the, um, you know . . came with Slipstream.

And I really liked that huge beige tank that came out with Spy Troopers. That thing was mammoth! I want my vehicles to have more realistic detailing. The RAM is totally lacking. I liked the concept drawings for the initial HISS with the lowering cockpit. They could incorporate cool new stuff like that.

I thought the GvC/VvV vehicles were good, but the problem was they were saddled with too much crap.

The Ringneck, for example, would have made an excellent troop transport, but the main bay was filled with the pointless sound attack features.

The Thunderwing and Grizzly were detailed and realistic (IMO) but were stuck with too many gimmicks. Give me a Main Battle Tank like the Grizzly that *I* can play with (so to speak). That is part of the reason I don't like the M.O.B.A.T.

I think alot of the more recent vehicles (01-06) would have been more Joe like with less Bulk.

I really want a F-22, but the Thunderwing is just not up to par with what i want. I like the old hollow shelled, Light

wieght vehicles with the most parts added on.

The RAH models can certainly be re-done well.. we have 20 years of updated tech on the Military front. If Hasbro just took the old idea of keeping the basics of the vehicles and not focuing on lights or sounds.. They could be as good as Rah if not better.

Imagine a F-35 VTOL for Joe

Hollow Shell, light wieght plastic making up for the most of it.

Swing down Full scale landing gear (skystriker style)

Button activated VTOL mode ( center fan door opens, engine cone swings 90 degrees down )

I think some things def need to be re-thought. However im pretty tired of RAH vehicles. The ones i want most no longer

Exsist to use.

I'll have to throw in my two cents and say the THUNDERWING was by far one of my favourite vehicles of the last 5 years.

I agree with you. I like the Thunderwing and bought 4 of them when they were out. Now if they could release a cobra plane(other then the Rattler) I would be very happy.