Personal Favorite 25th Ann/Modern Era Figure

gojira77

There have been IMO plenty of opportunities to grade the particular successes and failings of each figure in the current line in terms of articulation or faithfulness to the original. There are a lot of great reviews out there that objectively measure the strengths and weaknesses of each figure and could tell you why someone like Torpedo or the BAT could be the VERY BEST figure of the whole line. But what about the less-perfect figures that in the end might mean more to the individual fan? By purely subjective and personal reasons, name the one figure that you have been most excited to see either online or on the pegs. Which one has done the best job at bringing you back to when G.I.Joe was still new for you? Though it may be hard for those devoted to the manliest of action figures to talk about their own feelings, what one figure has been the most special for you-- and why?

duke-gi-joe.jpg

Now fix my stupid wrists-- or the NEXT shot won't be just a warning!

Easy... Duke. Ever since I laid my budding 6 yr old eyes on him in the Sears Christmas Catalog I have never liked a Joe figure near as much. Alas, as a child I never managed to get Duke, mail-away or other. Finally in my twenties I managed to find one in mint condish on eBay. The holy grail of my Joe collection. Then the 25th line came along. Crappy wrists or no, it's still Duke in all his glory. Now I'm stoked about the "Best of" DVD box set to get the animated (with corrected wrists) version of Duke. A quick head swap or custom from Broken Arrow and I'll be in business.

God willing, and to the chagrin of those wanting less Duke and newer figs, I'll see a corrected version of Duke down the line.

I've had many, many Joes over the years but Duke is the one that turns me back into the 6yr old all over again.

Firefly. I was questioning whether I was done with joes or not as I had ARAH joes, Joe v.s. Cobra and Sigma 6 and wasn't very keen on starting over yet again, but when I saw Firefly I thought he looked awesome, and it has grown from there and now it's my favorite current line, flaws and all. I just hope Hasbro doesn't run it into the ground with all the repaints and rereleases of the same characters, this is the last Joe line I'm starting over on.

I'm actually looking foward to the Matt Trakker figure. I have most of the M.A.S.K. toys and I have always liked when toy lines cross(Except the current Transformers/Star Wars/Marvel stuff). I thought it was cool when C.O.P.S. characters become G.I.Joe members in the 90's!

I'm actually looking foward to the Matt Trakker figure. I have most of the M.A.S.K. toys and I have always liked when toy lines cross(Except the current Transformers/Star Wars/Marvel stuff). I thought it was cool when C.O.P.S. characters become G.I.Joe members in the 90's!

Which COPS figures became Joes? I've been a fan of both lines since the begining and I have no recollection of this other than perhaps using a generic name from one to another.

Thanks for so much interest in this topic! I had to wait awhile for my choice because its kinda already been taken and I wanted this thread to have some variety. And, as far as COPS and G.I.Joe cross-over, while we know that Hasbro liked to reuse names across its action lines, I remember the two characters of Bullet-Proof to have more than a passing similarity. :)

My runner-up would be the '89 Version 3 Snake-Eyes, which is based on a CLASSIC figure with a look that was well-used in one of my favorite era's of the comic book. However, I'm not sure how I feel about the new, head-mounted night vision goggles...

Strangely, my favorite is Tiger Force Duke. There was a time when you literally had to wait years to get a new version to replace a lost or broken figure of your favorite character. Duke hadn't been on the pegs for a long time, and though a convenient voice-over saved him from getting his Purple Heart posthumously, it still looked like the Joe's had all but retired his jersey after a career-ending encounter with the business end of Serpentor's python spear. But 1988 was the Year of Second Chances (just ask Powermaster Optimus Prime!), and Duke was back in action to head up Gerneral Hawk's "Dirty Half-Dozen". Sure the new Duke was a little bit of a disappointment, with replacement parts, brown hair-- obviously to know how Hawk felt-- and pink, unpainted teeth. But it made for an awesome Christmas to have the old squad leader back. The upcoming Duke will sport an improved paint-scheme with blond hair and have better hands and more faithfull accessories than any version of the character produced since the 25th Anniversary. Though I don't usually get duplicates, I'm gonna need two TF Duke's so that I can keep one MOC.

I have to go with the 25th Beachhead as my favorite, now if only they gave him a proper unmasked head and I wouldn't even have a close second to him

honorable mention to the Crosshair figure, dang near perfect