DCUC! Where do i begin?

JayCueBatman

Mattel have explained serveral times that they try to encourage the retailers to carry more of their products but the truth is mostly retailers think toys based on movies and cartoons sell more easily. And it's always up to the stores to decide what to carry. I won't fully blame mattel but I do think they are responsible for sending tons of 5" The Dark Knight figures to Canada and no Movie Masters.

I think its partly the stores fault for no buying the stock we want but Mattel if they want to move this product they need to try to sell more. Get more of a presence. These stores should notice that the one peg of DCUC sells. So they should want to order more since that as long as the paint doesn't suck they tend to go over like gangbusters. And who are these stores kidding, superheros have always sold.

I don't work for a Target or Wal-Mart or TRU but I do work for a retailer. I'd assume it's pretty much the same regardless of one store or another so I'm going to generalize.

Where I work we carry everything our manufacturers produce. However we do not have to carry the same amount of individual products as other stores do, i.e. we sell plate A but less of it than our sister store. It's based on how much is sold, which dictates the space allocated for a product. Why would a store which sells 10 of plate A in a week keep enough space for 30? It's not good business. Now we assume that DCUC figures sell well. Obviously we all keep looking for them but have significant trouble finding them. There are few peg warmers, and usually just empty space where we'd hope to find them. But this is only the information of a few. How many people post here compared to the millions of people who live and work in this country? We don't know how well they sell. We have no sales data. But we can speculate given the evidence at hand. DCUC figures are not big sellers. We can assume this because stores do not stock them often. Traditional business wisdom dictates that if something sells, keep it around to sell more. DCUC isn't around so it can't sell enough for a business to want to stock it. Now it probably isn't that simple. I'd venture a guess and say that Mattel isn't really backing this line. The JLU line is all over Targets and the mini-DC figures are there too. So it isn't that Mattel doesn't feel strongly about their DC license, and I can't imagine they're not putting a lot into the line at a production level, considering they've got up to 7 waves in stores or in the pipeline.

When we examine all the evidence I think it's simply retailers remembering the past; MOTU in 2002 and the various Superman and Batman lines of the past 10 years. They clogged shelves and caused retailers to loose loads of money. Why stick your neck out again?

The difference is that DCUC does sell. And some people have even said that they have bugged store managers and stock people to get the line in from Mattel just to have Mattel send them only one box or a couple of boxes but has TDK 5+ figures mixed in. I understand the business model but what I don't get is why then does a store order more and more Indiana Jones stuff? Stuff that is not selling well but is still being ordered? Or more and more 5+ TDK figures are being ordered? Wal-Marts are choked with those but they still get more and more in. And it wasn't that Mattel backed the 2002 MOTU line they just backed the multiple versions of He-Man and Skeletor. The rest of the line got little support.

I am not attacking your argument I understand the issues that come with collecting, crazy completists, scalpers that buy everything for retail and sell a huge mark up (hell I have a few people in my town that do that who work in a comic book store) and just the rabid fan that wakes up at 3:30 in the morning to be at a store by 4:30 to buy everything that is set out at 5. But sometimes I don't think Mattel and the stores business model works. It is just as much of a stores fault for ordering one case at a time of a line that sells out as soon as it hits the pegs as it is the companies that will only sell one case at a time even though they know it sells out.

Well in the morning to see if the GM Manager ordered some DCUC figures for me. He ordered some last time, but had to go out of town on a family emergency. When I got back, all that was left was Ares. So hopefully something will come in tommorrow, will let you guys know!! Cause all 3 Wal Marts and 2 Targets don't have #$@#!!! @grumpy@

Bad news, folks (from what I understand). It looks like the re-release of Wave 2 with Jason Rusch Firestorm isn't hitting until mid-November now. This is according to Raving Toy Maniac.

If this is the case, looks like Mattel's statement from SDCC about Wave 2 re-releases hitting right after Wave 3 are untrue.

Not so much, again why should fans of these figures have to go online to find these figures and get charged more than in store?

Because the reality of the modern collecting scene is that any fan walking into a brick and mortar store is in a sense competing to find the goods alongside scalpers of the line AND casual consumers.

Buying on-line ENORMOUSLY ups your chances of getting these figures, while a brick & mortar hunt is a total crap shoot. On-line shopping puts you into a environment that simply excludes most of the scalpers and casual consumers that the above situation holds.

I mean, if you MUST do a foot hunt for toys, you just have to accept that scalpers and other collectors will be doing the same thing and you just need to be Johnny-on-the-spot to find anything. You'll spend time, gas money and frustration looking for stuff that others are looking for as well, with no guarantee of finding it. An on-line store either has stock in, or they do not--and you can tell pretty quickly if they do without expending much time or energy, and once you commit to buying........the goods are pretty much yours from that point on. If you spend $10 in gas while searching, the equivalent in time and frustration......well, shipping costs either work out the same, or less.

You could "should" all over this choice, but in the end you are choosing to gamble if you search on foot..

I guess if you're going to be SERIOUS about your toy collecting and really be a completist of your favorite line, than online is the only way to go. Unless you have some old-fashioned ideas about the "purity of the sport" like those folks who only hunt game with a high-powered bow and arrows! No offense to any gamehunters out there he still play with little plactic men... :P

I would blame Mattel, but I am beginning to think its the stores themselves. I mean, go into any TRU and see how much space is dedicated to the ridiculous Power Ranger line, Indiana Jones, Transformers, and those generic army men with huge vehicles, then there is ONE, count it ONE peg dedicated to DCUC. Forget the stores, go online. My advice is to order from Cornerstorecomics, I used to shop at Big Bad but they have higher prices and they get there stuff in later. Cornerstorecomics is great, you can call and discuss your order in case you need to make changes, very customer friendly and did I mention they get there stuff in almost as soon as the line hits the stores. They have cheaper shipping rates also. Plus you can order individual figures now, I can't wait to get me extra Dr. Impossible's.

As far as quality, I have not been disappointed, its usually the very first run that is crappy, but after a few production runs, the quality comes up to par. I have ordered 4 cases of Wave 3 and not a bad paint app in the line but mine are about 2nd or 3rd production runs, i have seen the first production runs and they were terrible.

IMO when in doubt, blame retail! The good people at Mattel love cool toys just as much as we do-- it's what they do for a living-- but in today's economy, the retailers have even more say in what goes on the shelves than they did the the Golden Age of the '80s (I'll look around to see if I can find some links to support this if anybody doubts it :) ).

if comic shops would start carrying these...we would all be much happier.

I've actually asked around several local comic shops and every time it's Mattel asks for too much money simply for the right to carry their product.

I think the reason we see so much Indiana Jones or Bakugan or whatever series is clogging the shelves and none of our beloved DCUC is because those are either products that have traditionally sold, or are based on something that has enough power to make them sell. Since Powers Rangers hit the scene oh so many years ago, Japanese or anime inspired products have been all the rage. Indiana Jones, is well Indiana Jones. It's not a tough sell for most retailers. Transformers has the movie and the sequel in production. Star Wars is Star Wars. GI Joe has over 20 years of collectors buying. The stores who carry these products understand that they are not dealing with high risk product. Mattel has issued some high risk stuff lately. Add to that the hesitance Mattel may be dealing with in trying to keep their customers without flooding the market and we are in the situation we are in.

if comic shops would start carrying these...we would all be much happier.

I've actually asked around several local comic shops and every time it's Mattel asks for too much money simply for the right to carry their product.

I think the reason we see so much Indiana Jones or Bakugan or whatever series is clogging the shelves and none of our beloved DCUC is because those are either products that have traditionally sold, or are based on something that has enough power to make them sell. Since Powers Rangers hit the scene oh so many years ago, Japanese or anime inspired products have been all the rage. Indiana Jones, is well Indiana Jones. It's not a tough sell for most retailers. Transformers has the movie and the sequel in production. Star Wars is Star Wars. GI Joe has over 20 years of collectors buying. The stores who carry these products understand that they are not dealing with high risk product. Mattel has issued some high risk stuff lately. Add to that the hesitance Mattel may be dealing with in trying to keep their customers without flooding the market and we are in the situation we are in.

I have a comic book store that pulls the scalper move and buys up DCU product and sells it in there store for a higher markup. I haven't bought any from there yet though b/c almost $20 a piece for Robin or Nightwing is just way too damn high.

I think Mattel hasn't really dealt in high risk products (b/c MLs were selling figures of Man-Thing and Baron Zemo and other 4th and 5th string characters and making a killing way before DCU started coming out) but instead there action figures have been a more high risk venture for some retailers. There product tends to disappear (MM and waves of DCU), reports of random allotment of figures from random waves in shipping (some have said that at retailers they work for boxes have come full of 5+ TDK figures and a couple of DCU), the lack of answers from Mattel themselves, and the random "recalls". I think that some retailers are scared to get into bed with Mattel if its not Barbie related.

And I know its sounds stupid to some people but I have wondered before if some companies don't pay scalpers or something similar to drive up the prices for some figures thus ensuring that they don't stay on the pegs very long. It doesn't make sense why something random like a Sinestro or just another Robin figure would be worth so damn much. It doesn't make sense to me sometimes why Mattel doesn't put out more product to its customers when the secondary market has a value of a $10 figure becoming $50. To me there is something odd there, you would think Mattel would want to cash in because they only make so much on that 10 dollars, right? And make nothing on that 50 right? Idk something is weird to me with Mattel.

My local comic shop has been trying to get these for me in the shop and he cannot. Back home in Florida the comic shop would have his prices for DCSH, DCUC, and ML all based on E-bay or Toyfare prices.

It is possible to order these through your comic shop, but they need to place the order as soon as they're solicited. This is how I found waves 1 and 2. The price is a little higher as they retail for 17.99 at the comic shop. These prices are set by Diamond, not the shop. The shop can sell for cheaper, but they'd practically make no profit as they pay 10.99 or 11.99 per figure.

It is possible to order these through your comic shop, but they need to place the order as soon as they're solicited. This is how I found waves 1 and 2. The price is a little higher as they retail for 17.99 at the comic shop. These prices are set by Diamond, not the shop. The shop can sell for cheaper, but they'd practically make no profit as they pay 10.99 or 11.99 per figure.

Exactly. I tried asking my local shop to get cases for me so I could support 'the little guy'... but we worked out the price and he HAS to charge about $15 a figure. Otherwise, he makes no profit, and there's really no point to him going out of his way for me.

Meanwhile, there are several sites I can order from where cost+shipping is about equal to shelf price+sales tax. Good for me, bad for the local retailer, and even the big retailer, as I have even less reason to check the shelves now.

Hey guys, I posted this in the Sightings thread but I thought I'd mention it here as well.

If anyone is having real problems finding these figures locally, here are a few unexpected places to look.

I've found all of wave 1 at several Kroger stores in the south (I think they're called Fred Meyers or something elsewhere) and they're under $10.

At a local Grandview Weekend Outlet I found a lot of wave 3 (Robin, Nightwing, GL) for $3.99 each and all of series 1 for $4.99 each. Grandview Outlets are scattered around the south, at least, and sell overstock or returned Target stuff (usually junk). They're also a handy source for lightsabers ($1.99) and Hulk hands (also $1.99). These stores are also flexible and if you're nice to the clerks or if you think an item is damaged or broken, they'll usually cut a deal with you. (Example: if you get 2 figs for $4.99 each but one is opened, if you ask they can cut the opened figures price in half at their discretion).

It's clearly not a sales issue. Wave 1 was by far the most plentiful wave so far, and it -still- sells reasonably well when they refresh it these days (My Targets put out refresher cases of Wave 1 after Wave 3 briefly hit, and at most Targets they're either wiped out or down to maybe a couple or three pegwarmers...which is a lot better performance percentage-wise than most action figure lines out there right now.

Amazingly...it's that Batman figure that always seems to go first...albeit with Orion not far behind.

It's clearly not a sales issue. Wave 1 was by far the most plentiful wave so far, and it -still- sells reasonably well when they refresh it these days (My Targets put out refresher cases of Wave 1 after Wave 3 briefly hit, and at most Targets they're either wiped out or down to maybe a couple or three pegwarmers...which is a lot better performance percentage-wise than most action figure lines out there right now.

Amazingly...it's that Batman figure that always seems to go first...albeit with Orion not far behind.

Batman is the first to go? At my Target he is the last to go. Of course there is a Tornado that has the worst paint apply of any figure I have ever seen and he has been there since they first got the series.

my comic shop had marvel legends, dc direct, marvel select, dcuc, and movie masters in the shop
Waves 2 and 3 have been offered to comic shops recently. Movie Masters hit shops about 2 weeks ago, I think. I think these should have been offered to shops from the start.

My shop owner said he can't re-order any DCUC, and he was shorted 5 cases of wave 3 that they couldn't replace.

well what can i say but BIGBADTOYSTORE.com ^_^

Not so much, again why should fans of these figures have to go online to find these figures and get charged more than in store? And yes if the figures are the exact same price and they charge for shipping... that to me is paying more. I only go to the store when I'm driving past one on my way to work so it doesn't cost me anything extra in gas. I also don't want to HAVE to buy a case of figures... I want one or two figures that's it!

Ive been buying from BBTS, but honestly its getting more expensive with every wave. Not that they are a bad store, but still, its more expensive and you have to buy the entire wave.

You can't even find DCUC online right now for "regular" pricing. Anybody that has Wave 2, 3, or 4 is charging an arm and a leg to capitalize on the scarcity.

This is also a sad truth, for instance the cheaper Ive found the masked Deathstroke on ebay is 22, and with no shipping.

You can't even find DCUC online right now for "regular" pricing. Anybody that has Wave 2, 3, or 4 is charging an arm and a leg to capitalize on the scarcity.

This is also a sad truth, for instance the cheaper Ive found the masked Deathstroke on ebay is 22, and with no shipping.

Yeah, and it's not just eBay, either. I've seen online retailers with $100+ pricetags on a case of six DCUC Wave 3 figures. Unreal.

well what can i say but BIGBADTOYSTORE.com ^_^

Not so much, again why should fans of these figures have to go online to find these figures and get charged more than in store? And yes if the figures are the exact same price and they charge for shipping... that to me is paying more. I only go to the store when I'm driving past one on my way to work so it doesn't cost me anything extra in gas. I also don't want to HAVE to buy a case of figures... I want one or two figures that's it!

Well, then that's your choice. Pay a little extra and be guaranteed the figures you want (and it's not like with this line you couldn't sell or trade the remainders to other collectors), or hope that on your "to and from work" stops that you're lucky enough to find them, but realize you might not. No offense to you or anyone else, but if you're not willing to put extra effort into hunting for a "collector-hot" line that's not heavily stocked, I don't see much room to complain about the scarcity of figures.

You have to figure, a lot of people do want "full sets" of these figures (for the build-a-figures), so when your local Target or Wal-Mart gets in a case, it's pretty much wiped out as soon as the first collector spots it. Two cases, two collectors, and suddenly the only thing hanging on pegs is maybe the extra Hal Jordan figure from Wave 3. Most stores don't order more than one or two cases at a time for toy refreshes, unless it's a major media tie-in release.

It's just like the G.I. Joe 25th Anniversary line in its' first few waves: It isn't that the figures are enormously rare (OK, Wave 2 might be an exception to that), it's just that people are actually buying them, and usually buying the whole set when they see it.

Or to put it this way: As few as 10 collectors looking in the same area could make it seem like DCUC isn't being stocked for months, if you're not one of the first 2 or 3 to snag the line. That's not even counting Scalpers and kids.