DCUC! Where do i begin?

JayCueBatman

I recently moved from South Florida (where there were 5 TRUs, 14 Walmarts, and 12 Targets) to Biloxi Mississippi (where there are 4 WalMarts, 0 TRUs, and 0 Targets). So i think you all know where im going with this.

None i repeat none of the WalMarts have any DCUC, and for a store that has an exculsive line comming to it you'd think they stock the others?? Thank god for the friends i have made here to help me aquire what i have missed, and that lucky EBay auction to get Grundy for $25.

I know we have a lot of board members that work at Wal Marts is there any way i can talk to someone give them a UPC code or something to have them see if they are even gonna get them??

I recently moved from South Florida (where there were 5 TRUs, 14 Walmarts, and 12 Targets) to Biloxi Mississippi (where there are 4 WalMarts, 0 TRUs, and 0 Targets). So i think you all know where im going with this.

None i repeat none of the WalMarts have any DCUC, and for a store that has an exculsive line comming to it you'd think they stock the others?? Thank god for the friends i have made here to help me aquire what i have missed, and that lucky EBay auction to get Grundy for $25.

I know we have a lot of board members that work at Wal Marts is there any way i can talk to someone give them a UPC code or something to have them see if they are even gonna get them??

I know how your feeling and I have a ton of Wal-marts, Targets, TRU's, and Meijers around here (Michigan) This is what I have seen...

TRU (4 different stores) I have ONLY seen series 1 EVER (no red tornado chase)

Wal-mart (6 different stores) I have never seen any series

Target (7 different stores) Part of series 1, never series 2, a Green Lantern from series 3, nothing from series 4

Meijer (7 different stores) series 1- thats it, never even a red tornado chase

Are we able to contact Mattel about the availabilityof their product at store level? I mean what the heck... I want to give them my money! I don't understand it at all. I shouldn't have to go to the secondary market and pay 3 times or even 2 times the price for a figure that I have never seen at retail.

I mean does Mattel actually want to sell their stuff to people?!

well what can i say but BIGBADTOYSTORE.com ^_^

Not so much, again why should fans of these figures have to go online to find these figures and get charged more than in store? And yes if the figures are the exact same price and they charge for shipping... that to me is paying more. I only go to the store when I'm driving past one on my way to work so it doesn't cost me anything extra in gas. I also don't want to HAVE to buy a case of figures... I want one or two figures that's it!

Not so much, again why should fans of these figures have to go online to find these figures and get charged more than in store?

Because the reality of the modern collecting scene is that any fan walking into a brick and mortar store is in a sense competing to find the goods alongside scalpers of the line AND casual consumers.

Buying on-line ENORMOUSLY ups your chances of getting these figures, while a brick & mortar hunt is a total crap shoot. On-line shopping puts you into a environment that simply excludes most of the scalpers and casual consumers that the above situation holds.

I mean, if you MUST do a foot hunt for toys, you just have to accept that scalpers and other collectors will be doing the same thing and you just need to be Johnny-on-the-spot to find anything. You'll spend time, gas money and frustration looking for stuff that others are looking for as well, with no guarantee of finding it. An on-line store either has stock in, or they do not--and you can tell pretty quickly if they do without expending much time or energy, and once you commit to buying........the goods are pretty much yours from that point on. If you spend $10 in gas while searching, the equivalent in time and frustration......well, shipping costs either work out the same, or less.

You could "should" all over this choice, but in the end you are choosing to gamble if you search on foot..

I have started buying my DCUC figures online. The minimal extra money I end up spending per figure is sooo worth not having to fret and worry about finding anything during endless trips to different stores.

The sad fact is retail chains like WalMart and Target sell a million different products, and DCUC is just one of them. They aren't worried if they get them in or dont get them in. Somebody else is buying motor oil, and pillowcases and dogfood and they are making money. It's not a huge priority for them to keep the peg fully stocked for you.

Online purchasing brings peace of mind.

I have started buying my DCUC figures online. The minimal extra money I end up spending per figure is sooo worth not having to fret and worry about finding anything during endless trips to different stores.

The sad fact is retail chains like WalMart and Target sell a million different products, and DCUC is just one of them. They aren't worried if they get them in or dont get them in. Somebody else is buying motor oil, and pillowcases and dogfood and they are making money. It's not a huge priority for them to keep the peg fully stocked for you.

I get what everyone is saying here... but I still don't understand why "toy authorities" like TRU have ONE peg of DC universe and its only wave one! I mean I understand battling with scalpers, but there wouldn't be a need for a battle if stores were amptly supplied with the product. Why we can have 16 feet of WWE wrestling figures, 8 ft of Bakugan and one peg of DC superhero and or Marvel Legends is beyond me.

I get what everyone is saying here... but I still don't understand why "toy authorities" like TRU have ONE peg of DC universe and its only wave one! I mean I understand battling with scalpers, but there wouldn't be a need for a battle if stores were amptly supplied with the product. Why we can have 16 feet of WWE wrestling figures, 8 ft of Bakugan and one peg of DC superhero and or Marvel Legends is beyond me.

I get what you are saying but it doesn't work like that. Each store in an individual city or state chooses there stock based on past buying trends. I live in Winston Salem, North Carolina which has a very small collecting market. I have traveled to a ton other stores 10 to 50 miles away from me to find nothing! NC does not have a good market at all and I still pay less online than I do in comic book stores. I have been buying online for a long time because like I said we get zilch. No store is going to be amply supplied enough for us. I have seen the same Red Tornado at my local Target for months with prolly the worst paint apply EVER! Seriously it is terrible and it deserves to rot on the shelf like it is. Buying online is about the only way anymore, you pay a little more in shipping and have to worry about paint apps but you prolly spend way more in gas traveling from store to store than you do in shipping. I have had the same discussion you just wrote several times before I gave up a few years ago and went almost strictly online. If I can't find a figure after two weeks in the stores I check the web. Welcome to the future.

I'm in Tampa and they wave 5 figures haven't shown up here

Usually Tampa Walmarts were pretty good getting in things till about a year ago and its slow going for some reason since then

you can't buy these figures online though... the paint is too bad to buy them sight unseen

Completely agreed. I'm picky when it comes to paint apps on my figures but I'm not TOO bad about it. But this line...yeah, if it's at all possible you really need to buy them in person. The quality of the paint varies so wildly from figure to figure.

I mean does Mattel actually want to sell their stuff to people?!

Mattel only cares about Barbie. That's ok, this crashing economy will put them in their place. Only when that happens will they flood the stores with the figures we want, but by then we won't be able to afford them.

Seriously, toy collecting is gonna take it pretty hard. When it comes down to paying bills/rent/mortgages/groceries/high gas prices, you can bet the majority of people will give up most of their collecting.

And if we start seeing co2, oil or some other sin tax on plastic, expect your action figures to double in price.

Mattel needs to do the right thing now, while everything is still relatively cheap and affordable.

I agree about the paint apps being a con to buying online. Another is Murphy's law. As soon as you place your order, or as soon as you're notified that your order has been shipped, you start seeing the very same figures you ordered in stores. If you don't buy online, you'll never see the figures. Go figure!

I ordered 1 case of Wave 3 from my comic shop. As soon as they came in, I saw GL, Robin and NW in a few stores that same week. A 2nd case has been ordered by the store but has yet to arrive. I want the SC Sinestro and masked Deathstroke. So far I have the regular Sinestro and the unmasked Deathstroke but I might use that to trade for a classic Aquaman if I can.

Anyone have a classic Aquaman to trade? lol

I live in Canada and I'm in much more pain. All we've got so far was DCSH series1-3 and then tons of Supermen and Bizarros which are still warming pegs in TRU right now. Then when DCUC series1 hit. Wal Mart got them like 3 months after I received mine from Corner Store Comics. Since then none of any new DCUC figures showed up except one time restock for DCUC series1.

And so far the updates we got are no more DCUC in Wal Mart for the rest of 2008. We need to wait till 2009 to get more DCUC "due to factory problems" That's the reply I got from Wal Mart Canada.

My only solution is ordering from online stores and luckily there are some great online stores that asks for a reasonable price.

I would blame Mattel, but I am beginning to think its the stores themselves. I mean, go into any TRU and see how much space is dedicated to the ridiculous Power Ranger line, Indiana Jones, Transformers, and those generic army men with huge vehicles, then there is ONE, count it ONE peg dedicated to DCUC. Forget the stores, go online. My advice is to order from Cornerstorecomics, I used to shop at Big Bad but they have higher prices and they get there stuff in later. Cornerstorecomics is great, you can call and discuss your order in case you need to make changes, very customer friendly and did I mention they get there stuff in almost as soon as the line hits the stores. They have cheaper shipping rates also. Plus you can order individual figures now, I can't wait to get me extra Dr. Impossible's.

As far as quality, I have not been disappointed, its usually the very first run that is crappy, but after a few production runs, the quality comes up to par. I have ordered 4 cases of Wave 3 and not a bad paint app in the line but mine are about 2nd or 3rd production runs, i have seen the first production runs and they were terrible.

I haven't really seen anything beyond series one, and the ones from series 2 and 3 that I have seen, had such a bad paint app, I passed on them all. I just can't bring myself to order a case when I have a feeling that I will be getting a GL with a blob of white paint one his face or a Deathstroke that looks like it was painted by someone who actually had a stroke. I know this has been said over and over with the paint, but common! I'm not a huge fan of Hasbro or anything, but I can honestly say I haven't seen any ML with paint as bad as I've seen on DCUC. If there was some way to know that they weren't having these sort of problems anymore, or atleast it's not as prevelent, I would consider ordering a case.

At this rate, I am starting to wonder if the MOTUC will have the same paint app problem.

You'll spend time, gas money and frustration looking for stuff that others are looking for as well, with no guarantee of finding it.

You forgot to mention that if you actually DO find the figures you want, then you're likely paying sales tax... and in most states, tax on 3-4 figures would cover shipping for 5-6.

Again, I would blame the stores but they are no better on Marvel Legends, maybe a little better but not by much. I have seen more of the current FFF wave on the shelves than the past 2 DCUC waves but its still pretty dim for both.

As far as paint apps go, I must be real lucky or you guys are just crazy. I have only 1 red tornado with bad paint, while my others look great. none of my wave 2 is bad, not one, and for series 3 the only one was Sinestro variant, but i have 2 and the other is perfect.

Mattel have explained serveral times that they try to encourage the retailers to carry more of their products but the truth is mostly retailers think toys based on movies and cartoons sell more easily. And it's always up to the stores to decide what to carry. I won't fully blame mattel but I do think they are responsible for sending tons of 5" The Dark Knight figures to Canada and no Movie Masters.

you can't buy these figures online though... the paint is too bad to buy them sight unseen

When you DO see them in stores, its usually only one case. So its not like you can sift through them and pick out the best ones. You buy that set or risk never seeing them again. So what is the difference between that and buying online? Of all the DCUC I've gotten online, i had issues with ONE figure's paint apps. The rest were great.