Know what we need? Accessory Packs!

Mr Nobody

Anyone else agree with this idea? For someone like me who is not a 25th-o-phile, but digs the new weapons and such, this would be awesome, since I won't buy a 6-7 dollar figure JUST for the accessories (not anymore, anyway), plus I wouldn't have a bunch of figures I don't want.

Anyone else think this idea would fly in today's market?

Anyone else think this idea would fly in today's market?

Nope, it will not fly.

With the exception of the perennial Barbie, accessory sets do not sell well, and specifically for action figures.

See, you can thank the 12" GIJOE and Twenty First Century toys figure /accessory lines for that.

Retailers got "complaints" from customers that some sets were sold with gear, and other sets were not, and customers asked why they had to buy two sets ( a figure and accessories) when they could by a set that had everything. There was a perception that the separate sets were not good value, and that since one might only be able to find EITHER the figure or the gear separately, consumers would not buy one hoping they'd find the other later.

Simply put........it was too much work, too much thinking for the casual consumer to keep track of.

So retailers about........10 years ago now, started to insist on no accessory sets.

Now, sometimes they are offered, but in limited scope and aimed a certain demographics, like collectors. The Walmart exclusive 12" "Vintage" GIJOEs coming this fall will essentially be retread 40th Anniversary sets, but sold separately. They are, in effect, a test to see if the collector clamour for "razors and blades" (as the old industry phrase to describe a figure and accessory set puts it) will actually sell as collectors claim they will.

Personally, I'm pessimistic--I think the dedicated collecting community is too small and too fickle to support something like accessory sets, something that the attempts over the years have borne out.

For the reasons that were excellently stated above, I doubt this would happen.

But if Hasbro would do something like this for HTS.com, I'd certainly like to see something less "nostalgic" and more appropriate. I'd personally like to see all guns molded in a gun-metal color, with painted bits where necessary. Black works too, but tends to make it look like a toy moreso than the Spy Troops era weapons that got gun-metal releases. This is the one I'd buy 50 of, just to arm my troopers right.

Cobra Trooper Battle Pack:

Scarred Officer AK-47 (Comic Pack mold with painted stock, to replace the Dragunov sniper rifles erroneously packed with the Trooper in 1982 and 2007).

Snow Serpent AK-47 (gun-metal, just to replace the "nostalgia-accurate" version on the card)

Viper Rifle (ditto)

Trooper Bazooka & helmet (bazooka in gunmetal, helmet in proper blue)

Cobra Ceremonial knife (VvV knife with Cobra hilt)

Tele-Viper communications package (camera, hose and backpack)

Viper Replacement hands (remolded wrists, to repair all those awful Vipers we had to buy)

People have asked on the Q&A's about this. Hasbro has said that they do not sell well & that is why they won't make any.

However a HTS exclusive as Straight Edge stated would be great! That is the only way I see them ever doing accessory packs.

Personally, I'm pessimistic--I think the dedicated collecting community is too small and too fickle to support something like accessory sets, something that the attempts over the years have borne out.

I agree, and Hasbro's last attempt in such a release were these:

http://www.rebelscum.com/sagaaccessorysets.asp

And a good number ended up on clearance and 3 additional sets were cancelled. Hasbro even threw in really solid basic troop builders with the sets as incentives, and still couldn't be sold in a MOVIE YEAR.

Now, a general rule of thumb that I think has borne out in recent months is that if it doesn't fly in Star Wars, they won't even try it in another line.

A Hasbro Toy Shop exclusive would be perfect,like Straight Edge and Goldbug and the exclusive title would drum up sales among completists for sure. I mean Hasbro did release 4 or 5 sets in RAH, including a vehicle pack, so that couldn't have been THAT unprofitable, right?

In case you don't know or it hasn't been mentioned here, scope out marauder_inc on eBay. They have some sweet 3 3/4 scale weapons there cast to fit both the Real American Hero and 25th scale figures. From Snake Eyes falcon sword to a menagerie of fire arms as well as other cast items such as foot lockers, laptops and other accessories all at pretty decent pricing.

Why does everyone think no-one ELSE has ever heard of Marauder Jon? :rolleyes:

I was among their first-ever 100 customers when they first debuted a few years ago. I dare say I'm also the guy resposible for the Steyr AUG being among their inventory back when I was on yojoe.com more often (for anyone who likes that one, You're welcome, BTW ;) )

Maybe it's the Asperger's part of me, but I am very particular about the pieces I want.

Not to sound defensive, but this type of discussion gets stale:

"Why don't you just get the Marauder's tommy gun?"

Because maybe I like the BBI version better. I just like the WWII M1929 stick-mag version is all.

"Why don't you just get the Marauder's Beretta M-9?"

Because maybe I like the World PeaceKeepers version with the trigger guard better. Just a personal preference.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Marauder Jon's stuff, I easily have about a 1000 pieces of theirs (that not counting bipods, sheathes, or modular pieces). It's like wanting a particular Spirit figure, and having someone tell you to get a CORPS Tracker Tom instead :rolleyes: . (nothing wrong with either since I happen to own both, but that's not my point ;) ) Some of us just want to have this again. An online exclusive sounds fine to me, as long as they can limit purchases somewhat to keep the scalpers in line. Hasbro's got to see the value of the market for this, if judging by nothing else, than just to see MJ's success within this particular niche.

Sorry to go semi-off topic, but when discussing this stuff I really have to curb myself to keep from coming off like a 'Sheldon'. (5 points and a pat on the back for anyone who gets that reference :D)

Hasbro's got to see the value of the market for this, if judging by nothing else, than just to see MJ's success within this particular niche.

Right there is the problem: Hasbro's idea of success is MUCH different than that of an internet-based independent operation.

However, I have to cast my hat in with those who think an online exclusive is the way to go on an accessory pack. Done in this manner, it will easily reach the intended audience, and since MOC isn't really a concern, Hasbro can just seal them up in a bag or small box, saving on packaging development and printing costs.

I was among their first-ever 100 customers when they first debuted a few years ago. I dare say I'm also the guy resposible for the Steyr AUG being among their inventory back when I was on yojoe.com more often (for anyone who likes that one, You're welcome, BTW ;) )

Maybe it's the Asperger's part of me, but I am very particular about the pieces I want.

Because maybe I like the BBI version better. I just like the WWII M1929 stick-mag version is all.

Because maybe I like the World PeaceKeepers version with the trigger guard better. Just a personal preference.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Marauder Jon's stuff, I easily have about a 1000 pieces of theirs (that not counting bipods, sheathes, or modular pieces). It's like wanting a particular Spirit figure, and having someone tell you to get a CORPS Tracker Tom instead :rolleyes: . (nothing wrong with either since I happen to own both, but that's not my point ;) ) Some of us just want to have this again. An online exclusive sounds fine to me, as long as they can limit purchases somewhat to keep the scalpers in line. Hasbro's got to see the value of the market for this, if judging by nothing else, than just to see MJ's success within this particular niche.

Sorry to go semi-off topic, but when discussing this stuff I really have to curb myself to keep from coming off like a 'Sheldon'. (5 points and a pat on the back for anyone who gets that reference :D)

I think you took it a little too personal about the Maurader suggestion. That was all it was, a suggestion. Not even really directed to you but anyone maybe lurking who might read it and discover an altenative.

I'm sure there are people who would like the extra weapon packs like you and people like me content to use Maurader weapons and probably a dozen more groups wanting something completly different.

I don't see the harm in pointing out alternatives unless you only want people who agree with what you want 100% replying in your topics

I think all any of us are doing when we bring it up is just pointing out that it is an option. Believe it or not there might be some who don't know about it. Nobody is putting a gun to your or anyone elses heads saying buy this or else because it is the only option.

Personally the Maurader weapons work for me and I don't need another source for more weapons. I don't expect everyone else to feel the same way. You made it clear how you like certain things a certain way for certain things, that's cool. It is a little along the lines of me defending Hasbro's decisions to make 20 slightly different Cobra Commanders. Some people are wanting that one little different thing on CC. You like a certain shotgun, well maybe someone likes a red stripe on CC's gloves.

I like that everyone has slight diferences in what they like and I like it more when there are more options to get those little things we all are looking for.

While we are dreaming and drooling about accessories..........IF they were to make sets, this is what I'd like to see:

A mix of all-new stuff thrown in with a supply of existing stuff.

Example: a COBRA weapon station, with a weapons rack and a load of Viper rifles. Maybe a COBRA mortar, or anti-tank emplacement, armoured bunker or AA gun.

Every set would have a "major" new item, a few minor new items, and some preexisting stuff.

Theme the sets too, like so:

Dreadnoks Rumble Pit--a bunch of beat up looking stuff for the 'Noks---probably maintenance gear, maybe an engine hoist that doubles as a basic AA gun. Tools.

COBRA Observation Post, camo net, surveillance gear, weapons

COBRA THRONE room, throne, guard stations, weapon emplacements.

COBRA Shoreline Sabotage --mines, a raft, signal lights, camo net

COBRA Airfield Assault-- Mortar, explosives, machine gun emplacement

COBRA BAT-Repair station: Work table, new spare BAT parts--damaged and repaired--diagnostics console.

GIJOE Command Bunker-command console, map screen or table, comm gear

GIJOE Jungle/Desert Defence-- Camo net, machine gun or anti-tank emplacement, weapons

GIJOE Arming station Land/Sea/Air--could be three station, with either ammo belts or can, mortar rounds, missiles, torpedoes , anti-tank rockets and ammo crates.

GIJOE RADAR outpost--sniper rifle, radar station and console, camo nets

Certain things can be re-used or be "starring" items in the sets, like jet packs, or drones, or added helmets with scopes and stuff. Ammo crates can hold extra weapons, and there can be little things like flags and stickers to dress up stuff.

And most importantly......the shock of shocks........is a flyer added in showing how the sets can be used with simple household stuff, a bit of paint and elbow grease to make fun dioramas and displays.

This is something I think the brand can explore again, because it broadens the hobby a lot more.

After all, why make accessory sets if the brand is "just for figures and vehicles"--accessory imply a display and a display implies diorama building.

Might as well use the opportunity to show folks how a dio can be made, right?

Hasbro did this waaaaay back with the original 12" Joes, and IMO it was one of the most attractive aspects of the toys.

I think you took it a little too personal about the Maurader suggestion. That was all it was, a suggestion. Not even really directed to you but anyone maybe lurking who might read it and discover an altenative.

I'm sure there are people who would like the extra weapon packs like you and people like me content to use Maurader weapons and probably a dozen more groups wanting something completly different.

I don't see the harm in pointing out alternatives unless you only want people who agree with what you want 100% replying in your topics

I think all any of us are doing when we bring it up is just pointing out that it is an option. Believe it or not there might be some who don't know about it. Nobody is putting a gun to your or anyone elses heads saying buy this or else because it is the only option.

Personally the Maurader weapons work for me and I don't need another source for more weapons. I don't expect everyone else to feel the same way. You made it clear how you like certain things a certain way for certain things, that's cool. It is a little along the lines of me defending Hasbro's decisions to make 20 slightly different Cobra Commanders. Some people are wanting that one little different thing on CC. You like a certain shotgun, well maybe someone likes a red stripe on CC's gloves.

I like that everyone has slight diferences in what they like and I like it more when there are more options to get those little things we all are looking for.

Nah, I wasn't taking anything personal, Man. Never do. I wasn't knocking anyone else who likes MJ. I Love MJ's stuff. I'm just nitpicky about stuff is all. ;)

I suppose I could've summed up the post with the first and last lines I wrote. I guess I DID end up looking like a 'Sheldon'. @loll@

P.S.: Quiz-time, Ccav: What show with 'Sheldon' am I talking about? ;)

Crap! That IS going back!

Actually, no. I was refering to the lanky uber-nerd on 'Big Bang Theory'.(I swear, I'm not as much of a tool as that guy is. Really ;))

Wow. Rocko. I don't think I've watched that in years. Was Sheldon the cow?

Anywhooo, what they're doing with the 'Clone Gear "lockers" ' with some of the SW figs now would work for me (and would actually be an incentive to get me to buy the Joe figures).

Knives and small pistols to fit all the empty holsters and sheaves we've been getting lately. I think that Hasbro shouldn't judge Joe by Star Wars standards (how many freakin' light sabers does a guy need any way) though we know from the Q/A's that they do. I'd buy accessory packs from HTS, but I'd also be up for Hasbro just tossing in a "gun rack" sprue with extra weapons just like they did in the Battle Corps days (see, not everything in the '90s was a bad idea :) ). They could cut costs by just leaving the things on the sprue and the 'loose' collectors could just clip 'em out themselves and distribute where needed. We seem to pay a premium for single pack guys anyways, compared to Comic 2-packs, vehicle drivers, and DVD Battle Packs, so why not add a little more value to our $6.99-$7.99 purchase?