the comic packs

pesatyel

I didn't want to give away anyspoilers in case people haven't read them.

Destro Attacks

I don't think there is anything to really say about any of the Marvel reprints. I'll say this about this issue though, the cover art was better on the original. The A.P.C. LOOKED like the A.P.C. This one doesn't (but that's a nitpick, really). But the thing I don't like is Destro is almost always drawn as if he had a silver (or gold) HEAD instead of a guy wearing a metal mask.

Silence Between Borders

Was there a point? I mean we got the same comic, essentially, three already in the original Marvel, in the Red Ninja/Storm Shadow/Snake Eyes comic pack and the Snake Eyes vs Storm Shadow 25th comic pack. I didn't see anything "new" to think it was a cool, I don't know side story? Other perspective story? Maybe I need to reread it....

A Day In the Life of Springfield

Wow, Mindbender's real name?

A Bad Day at the Circus

Boring! How come Flint and Roadblock have codenames if the aren't apart of the team?

Storm Shadow vs Firefly: Backstabbed.

What's the backstory? Since when did Firefly even HAVE a backstory really? Guess I gotta go read the old Marvel run to figure out what is going on. Where does this story fit into the Marvel run? Does it even fit?

Shipwreck vs Copperhead: Security Shield

Who the hell wrote this crap? It was a crap story. The ONLY good thing about it is the inclusion of the VvV Piranha.

Duke vs Red Star: The Oblivion Express

Not bad, but kinda dated. But of course since the majority of the Oktober Guard was dead, it had to be. It wasn't a bad story, but it seems that Red Star would be on better terms with the Joes since he WAS one, briefly. Patriotism not withstanding.

Destro vs Iron Grenadier: Move and Countermove

Kinda funny, but....that's it? Is this in some kind of sequence with the regular Marvel run, like a backstory (the way A Day in the Life of Springfield is)? The story didn't go anywhere, there was no conclusion (which is why I thought it might be a "stick in" with the Marvel run). Why would Destro wear his helmet when going to visit that other noble?

Falcon vs Nemesis Enforcer: Showdown at the Top of the World

Why is Duke there if this is part of the movie? The story was so-so.

Cobra Commander vs Tripwire: Explosive Thoughts

What is this, the toon in comic form? I got the impression it would be kinda humorous, but the story sucked.

The ONLY good thing about the comic packs, I was thinking, was the possiblity of seeing some of these guys as figures, in the future. They wouldn't be able to use the character names if they didn't have the licenses would they?

Maybe. After all, In the last issue, Mainframe was included (as Mainframe and not Dataframe).

Anyone know?

In general I think they all pretty much suck. Like most of Hama's writing, they are contrived and boring. I don't get why everyone thinks Hama is such a great writer. I haven't read ALOT of comics in general, but of the ones i have read, Hamas are just about the worst.

There is less passion in these comics, i think its clear Hama is getting burned out on being known as " that guy that does G.I.Joe"

He also does alot of writing for moives, and is a Musician. I have heard that he gets annoyed being known as the Joe guy.

Silence Between Borders

Was there a point? I mean we got the same comic, essentially, three already in the original Marvel, in the Red Ninja/Storm Shadow/Snake Eyes comic pack and the Snake Eyes vs Storm Shadow 25th comic pack. I didn't see anything "new" to think it was a cool, I don't know side story? Other perspective story? Maybe I need to reread it....

This was probably the most useless story of the bunch, I admit. It *could've* been a story about Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow really getting into it. It could've really expanded on the 5-page "Silent Prelude" he wrote for DDP's Snake-Eyes Declassified TPB. Instead, it was like "Here's what Camera 2 was shooting, and this stuff was deservedly cutting-room floor fodder, but If it'll get you to buy the director's cut DVD, well hell, we can splice it together to make an alternate version... sorta."

A Day In the Life of Springfield

Wow, Mindbender's real name?

It was more about the kid, really. He also shows up, years later (in a book published only a year earlier) in Storm Shadow's solo series. Larry decided to develop his backstory a bit using the town as a backdrop.

A Bad Day at the Circus

Boring! How come Flint and Roadblock have codenames if the aren't apart of the team?

Because they aren't so much codenames that are given when you join. Most Joes, like Snake-Eyes, had their nicknames before they joined. Once on the team, those names become their covert call-signs to keep their identities safe. Flint and Roadblock are also said to have worked for Duke before joining up... it's very possible Duke was running a Joe-like agency, and code-names were a part of that.

What's the backstory? Since when did Firefly even HAVE a backstory really? Guess I gotta go read the old Marvel run to figure out what is going on. Where does this story fit into the Marvel run? Does it even fit?

It fits relly well either in between the Marvel and DDP series, or in between DDp's RAH series and America's Elite. Firefly on the run from Slice and Dice could be a continuation from Issue #134, where Firefly had them brainwashed and working for him. The issue ended with the two of them cornering him, moving in for the kill. Then in #135, we find out they let him slip thru their fingers.

In either case, Firefly didn't take Stormy's offer. He's just too much of an a$$.

Who the hell wrote this crap? It was a crap story. The ONLY good thing about it is the inclusion of the VvV Piranha.

I liked it for being a mindless action bit. Larry's *really* not putting the same effort into each story. The ones with characters he likes tend to get better representation. This one? Not so much. It does fit nicely in the 40s or so of the Marvel run, when water-based battles were the norm.

Not bad, but kinda dated. But of course since the majority of the Oktober Guard was dead, it had to be. It wasn't a bad story, but it seems that Red Star would be on better terms with the Joes since he WAS one, briefly. Patriotism not withstanding.

This one baffles continuity since Duke and Roadblock don't meet Red Star until Issue #146, but Horror Show was killed before #92. Otherwise, another mindless slugfest.

Destro vs Iron Grenadier: Move and Countermove

Kinda funny, but....that's it? Is this in some kind of sequence with the regular Marvel run, like a backstory (the way A Day in the Life of Springfield is)? The story didn't go anywhere, there was no conclusion (which is why I thought it might be a "stick in" with the Marvel run). Why would Destro wear his helmet when going to visit that other noble?

As a forerunner to Issue #87, this issue is by far the tightest in-continuity offering of the bunch. When read with the original issue, it offers a much-expanded, if somewhat redundant look at the event that made Destro top dog for the only time in Marvel history.

Who said this was part of the movie? I think a lot of people are missing something. I'm very much convinced that Larry footnoted "The Battle of Cobra-La II" as a joke... citing a battle he never wrote. It has nothing to do with the Movie, where there was only one battle with Cobra-La in the Himalayas (a battle which destroyed the entire civilization). Even if it was in "Movie" continuity, we still never saw the second battle referenced in the footnote, so there's still no reason for the footnote to be there... thus, it's just a joke.

Cobra Commander vs Tripwire: Explosive Thoughts

What is this, the toon in comic form? I got the impression it would be kinda humorous, but the story sucked.

Yeah. This is another example of Larry having fun with the comics, instead of building up the Marvel continuity. Honestly, if these were written by anyone else, they'd be smirked and and tossed aside... "for kids," we'd say. Sometimes I think Larry is smarted than us, and is giving Hasbro something they *can* market to the kids, and we turn around and bash him for it.

Like I said, if Joey Writesforfree was credited for this story, most of us would probably just ignore it as harmless.

The ONLY good thing about the comic packs, I was thinking, was the possiblity of seeing some of these guys as figures, in the future. They wouldn't be able to use the character names if they didn't have the licenses would they?

Maybe. After all, In the last issue, Mainframe was included (as Mainframe and not Dataframe).

Anyone know?

Not at all. The name that Hasbro gives a toy (more specifically, it's product) is subject to copyright law. The advertising material contained within, and comics in general fall under a different set of copyright laws. Even if Hasbro is able to publish a comic where Mainframe is called Mainframe, there may still be a problem using it as the name of the figure.

There is less passion in these comics, i think its clear Hama is getting burned out on being known as " that guy that does G.I.Joe"

He also does alot of writing for moives, and is a Musician. I have heard that he gets annoyed being known as the Joe guy.

I really do have to agree here. I was lucky enough to see him and hear him at the Joemeet in Hamilton, Ontario (Canada). I thought it was going to be great, but the reality was...not so much.

He came off exactly as you describe. He really came off as someone who understands his role in the franchise, but really is tired of it. He answered a few questions with "I don't really remember" and he came off as someone who was there for the show, but wasn't really into it.

I'll reply to the ones I have/have read...

Actually... yeah. It fits. I'm not sure of what issues you'd actually fit it into, but if you assume it's some sort of 'one off', like Special Missions, then you don't even necessarily need to worry about that.

The brief backstory of Firefly, since you bring it up, is that he was hired by Cobra Commander to kill Snake Eyes (for reasons that involve going into the comic origins of CC, which I won't do here). Firefly was training with the Arashikage clan already, and seeing SE's skill, decided he did not want to mess with him. He then put Cobra Commander on to hiring Zartan to do the job, but Zartan was fooled into killing the Hard Master instead.

I've always felt that by all rights, Storm Shadow should hold Firefly to be just as responsible for his uncle's death as CC or Zartan, as Firefly was effectively the middleman. Firefly's complicity in the Hard Master's death has been an unaddressed plot thread for literally decades, so I found it rather refreshing to see it brought to a close by the man who started it.

It was an action romp 'filler story'. Enjoy it for the mindless violence that it is.

I rather liked it. It doesn't fit into the continuity at all, but it was a nice little 'runaway train' story.

I absolutely HATED this one. It pretty much exemplifies every fault that people have ever found with Hama's writing. But then again, given that he's probably well aware of the complaints some have about him, and that he himself despises Cobra-La, it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that Straight Edge is right and he wrote the entire comic as a joke, purposely inserting all of his faults as 'revenge' for having to recognize even the existence of the movie. He certainly wouldn't be the first comic creator to make a "FEEL MY HATE" issue.

Keep in mind here that the comic packs have to appeal to a MASSIVE spread of individuals: those getting into (or back into) the line/property now, those who have been fans of the comic for years/decades, and those who have never cared enough to get into the comics. That is one nasty balancing act there, and the easiest way to deal with it is to redo prior stories and make one-shots that can be 'plugged in' or enjoyed on their own. This also means that the most effective tale will be one filled with mindless action, not character development. Sadly, character development is Hama's real strength, so many of hem do suffer for their design.

Thanks for the info guys. I have the Marvel collection (or I did), just not the time to read them all.

Keep in mind here that the comic packs have to appeal to a MASSIVE spread of individuals: those getting into (or back into) the line/property now, those who have been fans of the comic for years/decades, and those who have never cared enough to get into the comics. That is one nasty balancing act there, and the easiest way to deal with it is to redo prior stories and make one-shots that can be 'plugged in' or enjoyed on their own. This also means that the most effective tale will be one filled with mindless action, not character development. Sadly, character development is Hama's real strength, so many of hem do suffer for their design.

That was the inherent flaw with most of them. The failed at character development (was that Iron Grenadier REALLY that naive?) but, more importantly, they failed at either being a "plug in" issue (especially the second "silent" issue) OR being enjoyable on their own.

What they needed was one shot stories. Kinda like most of the Marvel issue choices for the other comic packs.

For example, issue 115 (Ace and Wild Weasel) was part of the "larger" overall story, but a smaller story in and of itself that could be read in and of itself. The Destro/Iron Grenadier one? Do the REALLY think people are going to go try to find the old Marvel issues to find out "what happens" Just give me a quick story involving an Iron Grenadier. Hell, if it weren't for Straight Edge, I wouldn't have known it was a "prequel" to issue 84. And where the hell am I supposed to FIND issue 84?

I actually liked the old Marvel issues more than this "new" junk, so maybe some of the people above were right about Hama having less...feeling about doing the job then he used to.

I don't know why but the Shipwreck story bugged me the most. YOu mean to tell me that ONE guy (Shipwreck) in an attack boat and ONE Skystriker are ALL they have to defend the Flagg? If they wanted to have a cool kick-ass fight between Shipwreck and Copperhead, they could have just as easily had Shipwreck crash on a beach, fight Copperhead and steal his damn boat. I think part of the problem is the "supsension of disbelief". Even the one with Nemesis Enforcer was more believeable (regardless of whether you love or hat Cobra-La).

The brief backstory of Firefly, since you bring it up, is that he was hired by Cobra Commander to kill Snake Eyes (for reasons that involve going into the comic origins of CC, which I won't do here). Firefly was training with the Arashikage clan already, and seeing SE's skill, decided he did not want to mess with him. He then put Cobra Commander on to hiring Zartan to do the job, but Zartan was fooled into killing the Hard Master instead.

A very concise summary, but probably better labeled his "backstory", the things he did before Marvel #1. Firefly's origin, as pertains to this story, is his childhood... the stuff that happened *before* he became a sabotuer.

That being, he lived on a plantation in French Indochina (Vietnam, Pre-Independance) during WWII. His father spared the life of an invading Japanese soldier, and the Viet-Minh (Vietnamese Liberation Army) killed him for it (the retcon in Backstabbed is that the Viet-Minh killed his whole family, probably destroyed his farm too). Firefly was somehow spared, and the family of the Japanese soldier took him in. The soldier happened to be a member of the Koga ninja clan, and Firefly became a master of their style.

I've always felt that by all rights, Storm Shadow should hold Firefly to be just as responsible for his uncle's death as CC or Zartan, as Firefly was effectively the middleman. Firefly's complicity in the Hard Master's death has been an unaddressed plot thread for literally decades, so I found it rather refreshing to see it brought to a close by the man who started it.

Storm Shadow didn't find about about Firefly's complicity, though, until years after his near-death experience (he was revived by the Serpentor Experiment). After nearly being killed trying to avenge the Hard Master (by killing Zartan), he made peace with the fact that vengeance is never the way. He forgave Zartan, and in subsequent battles fought side by side with the man who killed his Uncle. So by the time he found out Firefly was involved... revenge wasn't even on the table. Sure, Firefly's more of a dink, and maybe Zartan had the capability of reforming, but in Backstabbed, we see Storm Shadow giving it the ol' Ninja College try.

A very concise summary, but probably better labeled his "backstory", the things he did before Marvel #1. Firefly's origin, as pertains to this story, is his childhood... the stuff that happened *before* he became a sabotuer.

That being, he lived on a plantation in French Indochina (Vietnam, Pre-Independance) during WWII. His father spared the life of an invading Japanese soldier, and the Viet-Minh (Vietnamese Liberation Army) killed him for it (the retcon in Backstabbed is that the Viet-Minh killed his whole family, probably destroyed his farm too). Firefly was somehow spared, and the family of the Japanese soldier took him in. The soldier happened to be a member of the Koga ninja clan, and Firefly became a master of their style.

Storm Shadow didn't find about about Firefly's complicity, though, until years after his near-death experience (he was revived by the Serpentor Experiment). After nearly being killed trying to avenge the Hard Master (by killing Zartan), he made peace with the fact that vengeance is never the way. He forgave Zartan, and in subsequent battles fought side by side with the man who killed his Uncle. So by the time he found out Firefly was involved... revenge wasn't even on the table. Sure, Firefly's more of a dink, and maybe Zartan had the capability of reforming, but in Backstabbed, we see Storm Shadow giving it the ol' Ninja College try.

So did that come from the actual Marvel comics? Or was it from some other source?

Yeah, I understand that Shadow didn't want to off the guy. However, Firefly is the type of guy who would come gunning (literally) for Shadow at some point just to strike first. It wouldn't matter how much Shadow SAID that he didn't want revenge; Firefly is simply too steeped in the double-cross to ever take a man's word. Shadow would have to PROVE to Firefly that whatever grudge was between them was water under the bridge. But I've always wondered how could he do that, and when did he do it?

Hama answered, and that's why it's my favorite of the comic pack issues.

So did that come from the actual Marvel comics? Or was it from some other source?

Firefly's origin comes straight from Marvel #126, and issue entitled and totally devoted to "Firefly".

Storm Shadow was shot by the Baroness in #47, and ressurected in #50. He recants his vow of vengeance in #52, and retreats to the remains of Snake-Eyes' cabin in the High Sierras (destroyed in #31) to heal his soul. Zartan refuses to believe Storm Shadow's change of heart in #84, and attacks Tommy's San Francisco dojo in #85 (the third silent issue).

Zartan and Billy bond over the course of issues #98-116, and Storm Shadow fight alongside both of them in #118.

So, footnotes aplenty. The only thing added to his origin in "Backstabbed" is the detail that he had a sister, and she had also been spared death, her fate being revealed in the issue. In the DDP series, the only thing Firefly did was be really, really evil.

Firefly's origin comes straight from Marvel #126, and issue entitled and totally devoted to "Firefly".

Storm Shadow was shot by the Baroness in #47, and ressurected in #50. He recants his vow of vengeance in #52, and retreats to the remains of Snake-Eyes' cabin in the High Sierras (destroyed in #31) to heal his soul. Zartan refuses to believe Storm Shadow's change of heart in #84, and attacks Tommy's San Francisco dojo in #85 (the third silent issue).

Zartan and Billy bond over the course of issues #98-116, and Storm Shadow fight alongside both of them in #118.

So, footnotes aplenty. The only thing added to his origin in "Backstabbed" is the detail that he had a sister, and she had also been spared death, her fate being revealed in the issue. In the DDP series, the only thing Firefly did was be really, really evil.

Thanks for the info.

In general I think they all pretty much suck. Like most of Hama's writing, they are contrived and boring. I don't get why everyone thinks Hama is such a great writer. I haven't read ALOT of comics in general, but of the ones i have read, Hamas are just about the worst.

i'm gonna have to agree with you there. its not as bad with the old marvel comics but you'd expect them to get better and not as cheesy as time goes on

I liked Josh Blaylocks image comics better than the new crap thats coming with the comic pack figures. its like if they put NEW COMIC by Hama on it it will sell even if its pos comic pack with cc and duke. I only hope the new IDW comics coming out will be good. the images look promising but a comic book isn't just about pretty pictures. there's gotta be a story worth getting into.