Fox brings back Daredevil?

dhoonib

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38278

Between Wolverine and possibility a Deadpool spin-off Fox wants to do more superhero movies. They also want to do a Daredevil reboot but between the trouble they are having with the Wolverine spin-off, the director of Babylon A.D. blasting his own flick b/c of Fox's meddling and of course what they are doing to WB with Watchmen, I'm not sure if I want Fox to make anymore comic book movies.

I REALLY wish Marvel could get the rights back to all characters currently held by Fox. They have no idea how to treat them. I would hope that their string of recent flops and the success of TDK and Marvel Studios' films that they would learn a lesson, but I doubt it.

Yeah it sucks to say but it will take Fox losing money (read as make a terrible movie) on Wolverine and the other characters they have from Marvel before the rights revert back to Marvel Studios. I really hope though that Fox can do a decent job on these movies but I doubt it. Its all about money and no substance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Marvel needs to get the rights for Daredevil so they can do something really GOOD with the character. If they could create a comic-faithful Bullseye instead of making him an idiot with a bad tattoo, then we're solid. That said, I almost wish that Fox puts out the really crappy Generation X TV movie just to show everybody why Marvel now has a film division.

Marvel needs to get the rights for Daredevil so they can do something really GOOD with the character. If they could create a comic-faithful Bullseye instead of making him an idiot with a bad tattoo, then we're solid. That said, I almost wish that Fox puts out the really crappy Generation X TV movie just to show everybody why Marvel now has a film division.

Except for the fact that Marvel has turned the comic Bullseye into the movie Bulleye.

what was so wrong about daredevil? i loved it. i watched the directorscut and it was even better. what was it? i want details. and dont come with i hate ben affleck because i have a problem with that actor. i hate brad pitt but still he is a great actor and i love some of his movies. i dont read the comic but all i know about daredevil, i think was well represented in the movie.

daredevil was good elektra sucked, x-men was pretty good x2 ok x3 horrible (cyclops dead?) the lack of character development as well. spider-man 1&2 were great i was not happy with 3 i wanted more venom not 10 minutes and what the hell was the "new goblin" looked liked a snow boarder from hell, and tobey aged horribly from 1 to 3. hulk wasn't bad but they weren't happy with it so they wanted something more true to the comics thank you finally true to the comics thats what is needed. not this superman returns crap where they destroy c.r.'s legacy and eliminate 3&4 from the series then decide we need to reboot the series cause they gave him a kid. in fact this x-men origin is gonna suck as well if they have a younger cyclops in the movie cause they had not met in x-men 1 but now they have some history oh yeah this movie will blow but on the plus side ryan reynolds wil be deadpool.

shudders at the thought of the nick fury & generation x tv movies :S ICK! thank you very much for even reminding me about those I hope you have nightmares when you sleep tonight :P

I seem to be one of the few who enjoyed the daredevil movie I thought it was pretty decent all things considering ... now days they could do a lott better with it though really ... As for tv series I don't think they will work or last long at all, lets put blade up as a example even though it was pretty fun & enjoyable it didn't even last ?2 ? seasons?... People go into the movies & watch the movies & then they expect the same type of quality in the tv series even though they are entirely different monsters :S

what was so wrong about daredevil? i loved it. i watched the directorscut and it was even better. what was it? i want details.

How about this:

The movie was essentially a retold Spiderman movie ..........just redressed.

Don't believe me?

Let's go down the list of similarities some are inherent in the comic book characters, some are endemic to the movies themselves.

-Both heroes are orphans by crime.

-Both lose a father or father-figure to violence

-Both have dysfunctional relationships with people they are close to

-Both are empowered by accidental means.

-Both have some form of extra-sensory power ( spider-sense vs radar-sense)

-Both carry revenge or guilt as a primary motivator for their heroism.

-Both adopt red, or mostly red costumes.

-Both swing from buildings as a means of locomotion around city centres.

-Both operate primarily at night.

-Both are set in New York city.

-Both have an enemy that is a wealthy/powerful industrialist.

-Both heroes have a "benign" confrontation with their main villain at a social occasion.

-Both heroes have the villains become aware of the hero's identity

-Both have love scenes with their women in the rain.

-Both have their love interest directly threatened by an opponent.

-Both have their main opponent stripped down/unmasked in the final confrontation.

Watching Daredevil was like watching a retread of the first Spiderman movie. The differences were mostly superficial and the motivations although different--didn't explain why some of the set-ups were the same ( love in the rain being a glaring one).

see, one of the cardinal sins in Hollywood is repeating what some else has done, but calling it something different and expecting the public to believe that.

On the face of it, one could say that either film is grossly similar to Batman.......and on the face of it, they'd be correct. In terms of basic concept ( orphan is empowered--either literally or emotionally--to exact revenge upon evil-doers by adopting a costume guise and swinging about a city) they are very close, but there are significant differences between Batman and Spiderman as movies.

As a movie......Daredevil is so strikingly similar in all its plot points and story beats to Spiderman it feels like watching the same movie over again. IMO, that is what was wrong with it.

So wouldn't those who originally created dare devil be to blame for that ? :D all these guys are doing is taking things from the comics :P & frankly before you pointed them out I never really noticed anything frankly I think you are just looking too much into things... hmp now I'm going to have to rent both and watch them in a row :D

So wouldn't those who originally created dare devil be to blame for that ? biggrin.gif all these guys are doing is taking things from the comics tongue.gif

Essentially..............YES!

A great number of comic book characters are highly derivative.

In visual and story beat terms, Daredevil is one of them--certainly when it comes to a movie.

Part of the problem is that Daredevil really on has ONE defining story that stands out.......the Elektra saga.

That's it......the rest............tend to be forgettable, or define the character for only very short periods of time.

Spiderman is different (or different enough) in this respect mostly because his villains are somewhat different in a lot of ways, and his stories have broader and more interesting beats to them because the cast of characters is so rich.

I mean........would a Daredevil movie with The Owl, Stiltman or Mr Hyde work at all?

Would anyone care about those villains?

Probably not.

But in the comics, they make for interesting and different stories month after month.

As movies though, those stories would be humdrum and lacklustre and don't really need to be told.

Want a good example from another movie franchise telling an unimportant story?

Star Trek: Insurrection--considered to be an elaborate "TV episode" writ larger for a movie. Nothing story, with nothing consequences out of it.

So, like doing more Daredevils, why tell it??

I liked dd and the directors cut even more

I happen to be a fan of Daredevil comics, but I must agree that there probably isn't enough substance alone to propel a dramatic t.v. series by himself. I have, however, always thought that something like say "Heroes for Hire" could work. Have Luke Cage and Iron Fist as the primary protagonists dealing with contemporary street-level issues: political, racial, economical, socialogical, etc. (and more epic, supernatural when neccessary for some Zazz) with cameos by other heroes (Shang Chi, Daredevil, White Tiger, Doctor Strange, etc...heck even Frank Castle!) to keep things fresh and fan-boys tuning-in when applicable to the story-line. Throw Matt Murdock (and Foggy Nelson) in as their personal friend and representative in legal matters and allow him to make some special appearances as Daredevil from time to time. A Marvel Knights/MAX approach could work if handled correctly and written well IMHO.

I happen to be a fan of Daredevil comics, but I must agree that there probably isn't enough substance alone to propel a dramatic t.v. series by himself. I have, however, always thought that something like say "Heroes for Hire" could work. Have Luke Cage and Iron Fist as the primary protagonists dealing with contemporary street-level issues: political, racial, economical, socialogical, etc. (and more epic, supernatural when neccessary for some Zazz) with cameos by other heroes (Shang Chi, Daredevil, White Tiger, Doctor Strange, etc...heck even Frank Castle!) to keep things fresh and fan-boys tuning-in when applicable to the story-line. Throw Matt Murdock (and Foggy Nelson) in as their personal friend and representative in legal matters and allow him to make some special appearances as Daredevil from time to time. A Marvel Knights/MAX approach could work if handled correctly and written well IMHO.

I agree. The ensemble concept would work quite well for a Marvel TV series, mostly because in small doses each of those characters is interesting enough to carry a few stories. Each of them headlining a series is another thing though.

I like Daredevil a lot......make no mistake, but I am also hyper-critical of how Superheroes are used particularly in cinema and television. There's been far too many lame and outright awful takes on superheroes for me to have complete faith that they can be handled with sincerity or even sensibly.

This is why I question whether something like Ant-man would make for a worthwhile movie........the character has NEVER headlined a title for more than a issue. He's a one-shot gimmick character, and the "depth" they have given us in the comics does not make for exactly the most flattering of heroes. Ant-Man ( and the Wasp), IMO, are better left for intro in just an Avengers movie.

Daredevil..........unless they can come up with a REALLY compelling story that does not feature Kingpin, Bullseye or Elektra.......should just languish as a movie that tried.....but did not make it.

I think it is a little soon to write off the first movie. Other than Kingpin, I found no real fault with it. But then I liked the original Punisher, too, yeah, the one with Dolph. But the difference is, they waited a while (too long in that case) to redo it. As long as the story sticks to what we expect from the comics we grew up with, I guess that's what matters (fie on Superman Returns - reboot that all you want!)

I think they've stayed pretty true with Spider-man, FF, Blade and Iron Man, but maybe they should go ahead with the plans they already have for upcoming movies and leave reboots for later. I have not seen the 'new' Hulk yet, but I liked the first one just fine, and to just Highlander-2-it away so soon is kinda lame.

Daredevil has such low-tec powers, they could make a throughly awesome movie that's every bit as good as TDK with half the budget of Spider-man. They just need a decent script and a director who knows how to make a good movie. Iron Man was perfect-- why not let "Foggy" direct the next one?

The only thing that did work in Daredevil was his power signature... I'd love to see a reboot of all things held by FOX

X-Men

X Men II

X Men III

Daredevil

Elektra (with Frank Miller in the director's chair... what could go wrong?!)

Fantastic Four

Fantastic Four II

If you'll notice, only Blade:Trinity, The Hulk and Punisher under performed due to the studios input?

Elektra (with Frank Miller in the director's chair... what could go wrong?!)

b]

I'd like to recommend a comic book to you... It's called "All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder". You might just rethink that last statement afterwards. :)

as i thought. no one has a real reason to say why daredevil is a bad movie. ok you dont like it and thats about it. what can they change except to make it more dark and bring in more tragic storys about secondary characters. comparing it to another hero makes no sense to me. it is like comparing marvel legends to marvel select.

as i thought. no one has a real reason to say why daredevil is a bad movie. ok you dont like it and thats about it. what can they change except to make it more dark and bring in more tragic storys about secondary characters. comparing it to another hero makes no sense to me. it is like comparing marvel legends to marvel select.

The direction was over-the-top and silly-- bordering on Adam West!

Daredevil's costume wasn't that bad, but nobody else wore one (Electra looked like she bought her outfit off the rack), so he looked like someone with a leather fetish. Comeon-- either everybody gets a costume or nobody so that the hero doesn't look like the fruitiest thing in the night!

Casting was AWEFUL. The only reason that Garner is there is because she was an attractive b-list star already-- if she's a Greek sociapath, than I'm Egyptian! And while they got a great actor to play the Kingpin-- they cast him in the wrong movie. Ever seen any gangster movies? There is no Affirmative Action in Organized Crime!

They blew all their budget on a "ghost-vision" gimmick, when they could have used a different lens and saved the money for the script, which had too much going on and yet went nowhere. Remember those superhero TV movies from the early 90s? That's exactly what it reminded me of, and you can't follow up genuinely good comic book movies with one that felt like it was reheated in the microwave and served up with contempt.

Shall I continue...? :)