Got My Rattler

slewis

Here in the US, most income is subject to taxation -- anything exempt generally requires proof that it is so. So yes, scalpers here would also be regarded as businesses (as per Dick Cheney's offhand remark about people selling on eBay and not declaring their gains as taxable income) as long as it can be demonstrated as being for profit, which is at least 2 years of profit out of 5, I believe. (Otherwise, the IRS regards it as a hobby or hobby business and disallows business deductions available to actual businesses.)

That is probably the biggest distinction between Canada and US tax laws regarding businesses. There is no hobby business distinction made up north--it either is a business, or it isn't--and justly allows expenses deducted simply because a ( legit) service is provided.

One of the things that would affect a Canadian scalper is if they made over $26,000 in a given year, because above that threshold for self-employed income ( either a side-line to regular employment or wholly-supporting) the "business owner" is obligated to charge and collect the Goods and Services tax ( GST 5%) and submit that to Rev Can.

That is where Cheney's remark sorta crosses borders, because I'm sure that a sizable number of people scalping toys--and other goods-- do NOT declare their added income, and thus don't charge GST when they need to.

Of course, once Rev Can finds them, they whomp them.

To be clear, my statements weren't born of some desire for justice for the poor, downtrodden toy collector against the evil scalper in a black hat twirling his moustache. While I can understand the frustration of shopping with scalpers out there (I think everyone here can), a collector becomes the victim of their own greed more than anything by caving in to the need to buy that hot item at absurd prices and only perpetuates the pattern.

The secret to my attitude/outlook is patience.

I learn a long time ago that the stuff can be had for a while yet, and even once the supposed window of opportunity closes--other chances to get the stuff do pop up over time. I feel no urgency to buy right now.........most of the time.

Sure, when a opportunity arises and I can buy, I do......I'm not nonchalant to the point of foolhardiness.

If I have to pass, I can do it and seldom regret it--its just takes time before I get another chance.

99.99% of the stuff I have sought collecting wise has come to me, eventually, and the remainder still has, imo, a better than average chance of landing on my doorstep someday.

I have been the kind of collector you mentioned above, and have foolishly bought from scalpers before......way back when I first started collecting.

It was easier to be suckered back then, because collecting info wasn't being shared like it is today.

The biggest weapon scalpers have is ignorance, and the biggest weapon collectors have is the connections they can make with others. Logically, its pretty clear who is bound to win over time.....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez I hate scalpers

As soon as he said he was going to put them on ebay they should of limited his amount

Sorry hearing this makes me want to plant my foot up his ass

I hope that Target realizes that these vehicles(the Rattler and the Conquest)are going to be big sellers.I can't understand the "we can't keep these in stock,quick order less of them" mind set.These 2 titems sell out so fast and they take forever to get more in.

Speaking of scalpers and all that. The only thing that gets everyone in my store fired up is the Hot wheels collectors. Overall they seem to be the ones that make our store try and stick with the policy 100%. It's hard to believe all that for something that is less than a dollar. It seems to be because of them the rule gets enforced with Gi Joe and Starwars as well.

Yeah it still gets pretty crazy here with them sometime. They break the peg hooks and leave half of the cars all over the shelf when they are looking for those treasure hunt cars. Plus they are always looking for newbies to see if they will go pull an entire case out of the back so they can take the one or two treasure hunts out of that. Our logistics exec. doesn't like that at all.

Bringing it back to Gi joe, I'm really likeing my Rattler and I can't wait for the firebat.

Three day in a row now I still see the Rattler....Nobody has grabbed it

I'm so desparate to get it I even asked friends to borrow some money

By the time I have any money this will possibly be long gone :(

???

Get a move-on, man! =)

(Although if the reason you can't is because you're placing other financial priorities -- like food, rent, utils, life -- ahead in the correct order, then I applaud you an' say: don't worry about it so much.)

Three day in a row now I still see the Rattler....Nobody has grabbed it

I'm so desparate to get it I even asked friends to borrow some money

By the time I have any money this will possibly be long gone :(

???

Get a move-on, man! =)

(Although if the reason you can't is because you're placing other financial priorities -- like food, rent, utils, life -- ahead in the correct order, then I applaud you an' say: don't worry about it so much.)

Thats it I did put Gas and food ahead of this But I have seen Target get there exclusives and never get in another shipment