Curious as to how McCain and Obama stand on the whole DC vs. Marvel issue

johnnyapocalypse

Over the years, I have noticed that certain differences in personality and life philosophy seem to somehow influence whether someone is a DC or Marvel fan. With this in mind, I was wondering if there is any information out there on the subject. I mean, what do the candidates prefer in actuality?

This aside, what do you guys or gals think? Who do you think favors who? Furthermore, have you noticed differences in personality and life philosophy between a DC or Marvel fans.

Your input is appreciated and feel free to call me a wacko.

I'm feeling free.

In a recent EW article, both candidates were asked who their fave heroes were. I think McCain said Batman and Obama said Spider-Man. You could extrapolate from that that John is a DC guy and Barack is a FOOM. But I got the feeling that both of them were making those choices based on the films and neither were solid comic fans.

I'm feeling free.

In a recent EW article, both candidates were asked who their fave heroes were. I think McCain said Batman and Obama said Spider-Man. You could extrapolate from that that John is a DC guy and Barack is a FOOM. But I got the feeling that both of them were making those choices based on the films and neither were solid comic fans.

Do you know where I can find that article?

thank you Rollo! that post totaly confirmed my suspicions about both candidates. Before I scrolled down & read your post I was tinking that Obama was Marvel & McCain was DC.

Obama prob like Marvel because it deal with a lot of "minority metaphore" theames. you know what ever makes you differant its ok to just be you. Also Marvel likes to sculk around in the deak so-to-speak. all that business about hide your identity & plot a word take over. Hell, Obama said spidey just for the sake of saying a good guy. I bet Apocolyps was realy what he wanted to say!

I said it befor & i'll keep saying it till the american people are all standing around feeling stupid as hell for buying in to that man hiden agenda................BRACK OBAMA IS A SLEEPER CELL!!!!!!!!!!!

McCain is almost as bad! But I must confess I would not have thought he would have choosen Batman (after all his mythos is very dark), plus Batman does his thing under the cover of darkness, something that's very simmilar to the Marvel audiance profile. But I'm not fooled for one second, McCain is realy a Mad Hatter if ever there were! At 1st I was gonna say Lex Luthor, but when I thought of the intelligent involved with being Lex, I was like HELL NO! McCain is nothing more that a dotty old man that's held together with spit & wire. If I had a dollar for ever matasized cancer cell in dude's body i'd be rich! McCain is in very poor health Mentaly & physiclaly.

& while I'm on the subject, I wanna go on recored saying that the only reason he choose that wack-o chick for a running mate is cause she know the Alaskan people well! So when George (aka McCain puppet master), pulls his lap dogs strings to "go & fetch the Alaskan oil for ur master", things will go smoothly with that SUPREMECU*T by his side telling her former people "its ok, its my Former Gov. Palin, & now VP Palin. Just let ur friend the oil tycoon have the black gold & don't put up a fight".

BUSH/MCCAIN/&PALIN...................oh what a tangled wed we weeve!

To simplify things:

Is McCain a DC or MArvel fan?

Is Obama a DC or Marvel fan?

I think these gents are probably a little bit beyond such juvenile interests as comic books, and if you got an answer from them it would be a character they have heard of , as opposed to one they have actually read comics of. Neither would sincerely be able to say they'd be a "fan" of either publisher.

thanks jay the news clip was cool & shed a lot of light. *lights a fa.g & takes a drag, walks over to window exhales the stream of white smoke slowly& says*: If Obama serves up one more slice of "im humble as American pie", I'm gonna hurl! I'm sick to death of his fake ass everyday man facade. He says "guys like Superman have too much power & make it all look so easy". Never before have I wanted to open up some ones throat so bad!!! Its because Superman HAS SO MUCH POWER that makes him a hero! & what I mean by that is not if he can bench press Mount Everest, but the fact he makes incrediably hard choices on how to use that awsome power. Superman is a person that never wanted to be any one's God, only set right that which has gone terriably wrong. Role model is hard enough for him, but when people start turning to him to be their savior he struggles with how much he should interfear with human development. & fear the Jor El warns him of.

Brack Obama is DARKSIDE & THAT WENCH OF HIS IS REALY GRANNY GOODNESS IN DISGUISE!!!

I'm warning you all now before it too late.................get rid of the sleeper. & like the Bug says in Naked Lunch.........."make it nice & tasty". if you know what I mean *crushes out fa.g in ash tray & turns out the lights*

I don't quite understand what you're asking here

To simplify things:

Is McCain a DC or MArvel fan?

Is Obama a DC or Marvel fan?

In reality I don't think they care. I doubt they know what each one is and personally I am neither one more than the other. If Obama and McCain actually know anything more than the little blurbs in that article I'll be surprised. Politics is kind of silly b/c they trying so hard to hook everybody on everything. TV, Radio, books, magazines, and now comics. Really just a waste of print, more stupid crap to get people to the poles.

Who knows? I don't think either has given it much thought, and have other important matters at hand.

That said, the really interesting topic is what are the differences betwen Marvel and DC fans??

I've liked both, but am more at heart a DC fan. I can see Marvel fans being more liberal. Their heroes are very 'everyman' and of poorer origins or put upon. They don't fit a mold of hero so much in a traditional sense. I'm not saying DC fans are necessarily Conservatives though. I'm sure their fans can be very liberal.

DC's Heroes are more archetypes than characters to relate to. I love that quality. I'm glad they are about action and ideals and getting things done rather than being defined by relationships and their inner demons or soap opera elements. I can see DC characters expecting more of people as seen in JLA/Avengers and not tolerating flaws as well which probably fits the GOP a little more.

I'm curious to read what others think???

Who knows? I don't think either has given it much thought, and have other important matters at hand.

That said, the really interesting topic is what are the differences betwen Marvel and DC fans??

I've liked both, but am more at heart a DC fan. I can see Marvel fans being more liberal. Their heroes are very 'everyman' and of poorer origins or put upon. They don't fit a mold of hero so much in a traditional sense. I'm not saying DC fans are necessarily Conservatives though. I'm sure their fan can be very liberal.

DC's Heroes are more archetypes than characters to relate to. I love that quality. I'm glad they are about action and ideals and getting things done rather than being defined by relationships and their inner demons or soap opera elements. I can see DC characters expecting more of people as seen in JLA/Avengers and not tolerating flaws as well which probably fits the GOP a little more.

I'm curious to read what others think???

I don't think liberal and conservative fit comics at all. I mean you have Batman who fights people who are more or less a twisted version of himself. He is very liberal in a sense but Superman is conservative. While you could make the argument that Spiderman is conservative next to the Punisher. And of course Captain America was fighting Nazis in the 30's. I'm not a big fan of trying to make a real world argument over this kind of stuff especially since it is going to change from one writer to another. Most of these characters fit certain molds and writers have to work within those molds but they add there own spin and voice. I could take Spiderman and make him an Asian cross-dressing midget who loves the GOP but that doesn't make any sense to the character but again its just one's take on said character. That's why these kind of arguments don't work on fictional characters, too many hands in the cookie jar so to speak.

That's an excellent take on it. I feel the same way that it doesn't really make sense in a fictional world, not to mention that these characters have been around for a long, long time. That time has seen many changes in the definition of the labels of these parties.

My point wasn't so much that the characters are a certain party, but if their was any correlation between fans of one company liking one party vs. fans of the other company liking another party. I doubt that's the case, and I'd like to think many of us comic lovers like both companies to a degree. Just curious.

I'm a DC guy and I'm liberal. I like Marvel characters but I can never seem to get into their stories. I like Ulitimate Spiderman since it's just bare-bones Spiderman, no confusing 40 year history behind it. DC is different for me. I've just always preferred their heroes.

I also don't agree that Superman is conservative. I believe he respects the current law but as soon as that law changes, even if in favour of liberals, such as anti-smoking laws, you can bet he'll stand by it. I'm sure he's already against smoking but respects the law that people have the right to smoke currently. Or if some laws are passed that protect animals or the environment, I can see Superman standing up for that as well. I'd say he's in the middle when it comes to respecting a government's laws but his personal beliefs have to be more along the line of liberals. He's for rights and freedoms as long as these rights and freedoms are ethical.

I'm a DC guy and I'm liberal. I like Marvel characters but I can never seem to get into their stories. I like Ulitimate Spiderman since it's just bare-bones Spiderman, no confusing 40 year history behind it. DC is different for me. I've just always preferred their heroes.

I also don't agree that Superman is conservative. I believe he respects the current law but as soon as that law changes, even if in favour of liberals, such as anti-smoking laws, you can bet he'll stand by it. I'm sure he's already against smoking but respects the law that people have the right to smoke currently. Or if some laws are passed that protect animals or the environment, I can see Superman standing up for that as well. I'd say he's in the middle when it comes to respecting a government's laws but his personal beliefs have to be more along the line of liberals. He's for rights and freedoms as long as these rights and freedoms are ethical.

right.

Yeah I see that he is very much like a Government mouthpiece. In fact that would be an interesting story. Dealing with someone like Batman who is outside the law to begin with dealing with Superman who observes so many laws and respects the Government no matter what. That would put a cool spin on it, but its been done in other ways too mostly during The Dark Knight Returns storyline. But just a bare bones story relating that would be interesting. But all and all The character has and will change. Adapt or die, and every character is forced to adapt to the changing times. Even Superman has been forced to get more edgy over the years. He is a beloved character but could you see the kind of civic pride and squared jaw trite he used to spew from his creation through WWII? If he was still sounding the same way today no one would like his character. We are all too afraid of what the Government does now and a character talking about respect the police, fire department, local, state, and federal Government, eat your vitamins, and Wheaties are good for you citizen! We would turn a way from that so quick especially if the reader is over 5 years old.