Serious Scale Problems

JohnnyRebelV2

As I've said before I'm somewhat new to collecting Star Wars again but I've seen some serious new scale problems. Here are just a few:

Darth Vader Anikan from the Legacy collection is almost as tall as the Vader's in their black armor/life support suit. And that means twice as tall as most of the other figures. Stand him next to Luke, weak.

Almost all of the Lukes are the same size which means small and thats fine but Legacy Han is a whole head length taller. And he's the shortest new Han I have.

30th Bespin torture Han not only has the worst facescuplt on a han since 1980 but he's also almost as tall as vader.

Legacy C3PO is too short and R2 is too big. They look silly together.

These are just the ones I've bought. I'm sure there is lots more out there.

That's an interesting point. So I went through IMDB.com and got the heights of the actors from the movies so that I could compare my figures at 1/18 scale. It would be very interesting to list the figures that are best to scale.

CHARACTER NAME/ACTOR NAME/ACTUAL HEIGHT/SCALE HEIGHT

Luke Skywalker- Mark Hamil (69") - 3.83"

Han Solo- Harrison Ford (73")- 4.06"

Princess Leia - Carrie Fisher (61")- 3.39"

Tarkin - Peter Cushing (71.5")- 3.97"

Old Obi-Wan- Alec Guinness (70")- 3.89"

C-3PO- Anthony Daniels (69")- 3.83"

R2-D2- Kenny Baker (44")- 2.44"

Chewbacca- Peter Mayhew (85.75")- 4.76"

Darth Vader- David Prowse (77")- 4.28"

Wedge- Denis Lawson (68")- 3.78"

Lando- Billy Dee Williams (72")- 4"

Boba Fett- Jeremy Bulloch (73")- 4.06"

Young Obi-Wan- Ewan McGregor (70.5")- 3.92"

Padme- Natalie Portman (63")- 3.5"

Anakin- Hayden Christensen (73.5")- 4.08"

Palpatine- Ian McDiarmid (70")- 3.89"

Mace Windu- Samuel L. Jackson (74.5")- 4.14"

Bail Organa- Jimmy Smits (75")- 4.17"

Count Dooku- Christopher Lee (76.5")- 4.25"

Jango Fett/Commander Cody- Temuera Morrison (67")- 3.72"

Aayla- Amy Allen (68")- 3.78"

If anyone is interested... George Lucas would be 3.72"

You know... I've been measuring the latest figures that I have bought in comparison to the actual scale heights of the actors and the new molds aren't so bad. The exclusive Wedge that came out a few years ago is horribly out of scale... but for the most part the VOTC figures are in scale. I don't have a lot of "hero" figures from the latest releases so I can't really say anything about those. But Luke should be around a quarter of an inch shorter than Han.

Worst scale toys, are (as Wheeljack35 stated) Transformers. Alternators were great about scale, but Classics and whatnot are terrible. 12" Sideshow would also be off (Han to Leia ratio alone proves that). Plus just about every Marvel Legends Wolverine has been too tall.

You know... I've been measuring the latest figures that I have bought in comparison to the actual scale heights of the actors and the new molds aren't so bad. The exclusive Wedge that came out a few years ago is horribly out of scale... but for the most part the VOTC figures are in scale. I don't have a lot of "hero" figures from the latest releases so I can't really say anything about those. But Luke should be around a quarter of an inch shorter than Han.

Worst scale toys, are (as Wheeljack35 stated) Transformers. Alternators were great about scale, but Classics and whatnot are terrible. 12" Sideshow would also be off (Han to Leia ratio alone proves that). Plus just about every Marvel Legends Wolverine has been too tall.

ML Series 7, 11 and 12 Wolverines are all very close to perfect scale. Series 6 is also good being just slightly too tall.

Anakin was tallest in Episode 3. I think he had his shoes padded to make him taller. Some just depends on which figure you have. Out of the five Clone Wars Anakins, not animated, the newest one with Durge is quite a bit taller than the other four.

Some guys like Wedge are just made with another pilots body so you know somebody like him is not going to be the right height. There have been so many versions of guys and they still mix old with new even though alot of scale issues have been fixed. Like Motti with the other Imperial Officers in that pack. He was huge compared to the others but they used the old Motti body that did not match the other guys.

Hasbro said in a Q&A that they run into scale issues with the factories too where some figures come out too short or too tall. Like the Kashyyk Clone and Commander Gree. One of the factory problems is in the ball jointed knees, they seem to cause the figures to either be too tall or too short. I think Bail Organa was too tall because of a factory mess up too. Some Wookie Warriors were way too big. Tarful was supposed to be the biggest but the other two generic ones were bigger than him. Anyone from Utapau was too short same with Taun We.

Some of the DUC figures have scale issues and Marvel Legends always had scale issues. The Indiana Jones line is bad too but it is not very noticable.

Any wrestling figure line is terrible. All of them have been. They have got to be the worst.

Nah Transformers has the worst scale

Uh sure. I'm talking about human characters. Not cars. Anikan Darth Vader from the Lecacy Collection is one of the greatest crimes against proper scale I've seen.

No take a look at the cars

Sunstreaker stands almost as tall as Prime or Magnus he should be smaller

Classics Skyfire is smaller then Classics Powerglide

I have the Star Wars figures and what your talking but isn't bothering me

Yes I bought up Transformers

Your talking about the king of all not to scale figures

Hell I could #$#@# that the BMF isn't to scale also

Nah Transformers has the worst scale

Uh sure. I'm talking about human characters. Not cars. Anikan Darth Vader from the Lecacy Collection is one of the greatest crimes against proper scale I've seen.

No take a look at the cars

Sunstreaker stands almost as tall as Prime or Magnus he should be smaller

Classics Skyfire is smaller then Classics Powerglide

I have the Star Wars figures and what your talking but isn't bothering me

Yes I bought up Transformers

Your talking about the king of all not to scale figures

Hell I could #$#@# that the BMF isn't to scale also

Yeah... I'd have to say that there are lines with far worse lines than Star Wars. Sunstreaker's height does bother me (should be as tall as Rodimus). I'd also like to point out that Mattel's Superman can, in no way fit into the suit of Mattel's Clark Kent.

It's true, you can take scale issues all the way back to 1977. Leia should not be as tall as Luke. X-Wings should not be as big as Boss Hog's limo. TIE Fighter sails should not be half-size and you shouldn't have to pay $20 extra to get them the right size. The Millennium Falcon should be the size of a coffee table and, darn it, that's how I would use it!

Just think about all of the kids in Africa that would love to have a tall Anakin, a short C-3PO or even a really ugly Han Solo (how attractive are you supposed to be while being tortured?). But generally, I'm pretty picky about buying figures so if there's a big enough problem with a particular sculpt, I don't buy it. The exceptions being Rebel pilots, army builders, Ewoks, and aliens/monsters... just as long as they look decent.

Your blinded by your fanboyness. The scale IS the worst and makes the new figures hte SUX.

Dude... I did the math (see way up there above... I believe it's the second post). I measured my figures. Yes, I am a fan of Star Wars, but I also do industrial design during the day so scale is something that I do on a daily basis. If you don't want anyone challenging you opinion, don't post it on a forum asking if other people agree.

Okay, I just checked that Anakin (at least I think it's the one you're talking about, from the first wave of this year, correct). Yeah, he is taller than the couple of Lukes I checked him against (Droid Factory X-Wing & BAD Desert Escape). By about a head. He's nowhere near "twice the height" of them. Of course, Luke is supposed to be shorter than average. Remember, from the first movie? "Short for a stormtrooper". The only figures that really truly look way out of scale (by themseves at least) is that Leia from the POTJ line & the last Hoth Rebel Soldier they released. Those 2 are major league midgets. Oh, and the Cody figure from ROTS & the Kashyyyk trooper from the same batch as the Anakin in question. But considering there are literally at least 1000 unique figures in this line, I'd say that's not too bad.

As for this line being soooo out of scale, have you looked at wrestling figures, like ever? When you've got figures of a guy who is legit 5'3" & a buy who's 6'+ being the exact same height (or the smaller guy actually being bigger), now that is a scale issue.

... But I'm 100% right. I own 1000's of figures and the new Star Wars figures have it bad. I'd rather they were all the same size than Hasbro attemping scale but ruining it Horribly.

So you don't actually care about SCALE in that a 6' human at 1/18 SCALE would be 4" tall. You just want all of your action figures to be the same size. But earlier you recognized that the shorter Wolverine figures are more desirable than the first one that was released (which was the same size as the rest of the figures).

I don't see the problem with the figures being different sizes. They were played by people who stood at different heights. They are all different heights on the screen so I don't know what the problem is with making them different heights as action figures. I'm going to bet that the Hasbro team did the same thing that I did... go to IMDB.com, look up the actors' heights and scaling the toys to those specs.

Star Wars figures are just under the actual 1/18 scale. My Han Solo is just under 4" (in scale it should be 4.06"). But all of my recent figures seems to be running just a little short as well. I don't know about the POTJ Leia, but I have the VTOC and the latest Slave Leia and always thought they were really short until I figured the 1/18 scale on Carrie Fisher (who is 5'-1") and found that the toy should only be about 3-3/8" tall.

Like jedicrippler said, I have only noticed about 5-8 figures thsat are really noticably out of scale and that is really good considering how many have been made. I would not even count any POTF2 figures anymore since the scale was so bad with them but in the last four years the scale has been really good. If the scale was that bad we would have heard alot more complaining before now.

Minus a few exceptions, the scale in Star Wars post-POTF2 has been pretty good.

Like many others have said, try being a collector of wrestling toys... now that brings some absurd scale problems.

... But I'm 100% right. I own 1000's of figures and the new Star Wars figures have it bad. I'd rather they were all the same size than Hasbro attemping scale but ruining it Horribly.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Why don't you respect others opinions instead of telling everyone else that you are right and they are wrong?

YOU think they are the worst.

Others have different opinions.

Deal with it as not everyone will see things your way.

I hope they now have the ewok scale figured out.

I picked up the Lecacy Leektar the other night, and put it w/ some of my other ewok figs.

POTF2 Wicket looks like it's just taller, and even the POTJ Teebo seems to tower over it.

I found the Legacy Obi-Wan in clone armor earlier tonight, and I have to admit at first I balked at his scale; he just seemed so stumpy! But then I noticed his head seemed like it was kinda small, and that made him seem small overall. And I also remembered he had a helmet, and then in turn I remembered Commander Cody had a small head as well to compensate for his helmet, so then the Obi-Wan seemed okay to me.

But scale issues in general don't bother me. I'm not one of those collectors that has to display all of my figures together, which might make some scale problems more apparent.

• 3 weeks later...

lego figures have the best scale.

and star wars figures are not all for kids. Kids don't give a rata#s about star wars. Most of these figures are peg warmers already, especially the Falcon. That thing mind as well become a new Walmart bench when you get sick of walking.

I still really want a Falcon, maybe for Christmas. Too bad they did not get any here though.

I keep hoping that they will mark them down on Wal-Mart.com. I saw this coupon code for Wal-Mart.com that was half off any item. Plus free shipping to the store for pickup.